Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zeversolar RJ45 Connection

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    That depends on the content of your inquiry ~ did you point out by way of photo/m'phone image that your mains line voltage is exceeding 254volts AC? Don't know what it's like in other states, but here in SE Qld you need about that much to get them to move. Without that they tend to just presume the line voltage is within spec, and that the inverter is setup incorrectly (which is a reasonable position to take because *many* inverters have default settings that entertain 240v at 250v maximum).

No one here can read much context from the reply, if we don't know what exactly what you wrote to them in the first place =)
    Spot on mate.
    If they are supplying above what they are allowed to it is their obligation to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Neighbour reported the high voltage here. They came back after a couple of weeks and said the voltage was only high intermittently ( What, Only 255V 10 hours a day?) and therefore no correction was deemed necessary.

He took my suggestion and got the solar bloke back who wound the cutoff up to 265. Voltage rarely goes that high but the inverters now don't cut out like they used to so all good. Mine are dialled up and don't cut out so I don't care.

Thanks

I would be a bit concerned about the mains voltage getting around 260V even intermittently.
    Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,527 Posts

Aye, it is what it is, yeah? The instructions (for both installer and enduser) on the zeversolar site are fairly comprehensive, and in reiteration you notice use of the term 'competent installation technician' or such ~ that's going to be a broad term that ropes in many skills, including the networking setup etc et al. In no way do I infer any slight here against anyone, but a lot of the solar installations around here, if not fitted by one of the local electricians, are certainly maintained by such (them acting as agents for one or another distributor), and not nearly all of these folks are networking savvy (or just leave it to the user). In one of the local electrician business into this area, only one of their staff is actually 'competent' in the way the zeversolar docs connote that =)

The other way of looking at this realistically speaking, is going to the trouble of monitoring your mains line voltage (with inverter system/panels isolated), to determine whether or not your system is experiencing this sort of problem in the first place. If you find your line voltage is too high, not your problem, you don't need futz with the inverter, it's most likely working correctly, and just responding to a *grid* fault condition .. you need the supplier to fix *their* problem.

However, that doesn't address the original question here...ie; how do I connect with this thing if I need/want to change/check that setting? First let's put that youtube video into context ... there are more than several videos like that they've produced, each one like a chapter in a book if you will... let's say there's 20 videos...watching that video about how to connect via ethernet port to change this setting, is chapter 14 or something ...it assumes you've already successfully completed chapters 1 thru 13 of the installation/configuration process. My surmise is that process hasn't been completed... that process involves using the wifi interface to access network settings so the inverter has a link to the internet (zevercloud and friends)...and once those steps have been successfully completed, things *would* happen just like in the youtube vid easy-peasy.

So how do I prove or disprove that hypothetical? *That* I can do...I know someone with a zeversolar3000, same chassis and options the high power units just have bigger mosfets etc, and I can guarantee it's not setup as it could be (networking wise), because I maintain all their computers and so related. There is a local wifi AP but it's hidden, and only I know the passkey (supposedly, you never know with chipsets these days =) Ergo (and for residences with no wifi router to the 'net), the installing technician basically configures the relevant operational settings, and leaves the unit in the default stand-alone mode. Even though the system's performing as expected, I did ask the owner some time ago if I could have a play with it, and got the ok.. I'm headed to that property tomorrow afternoon, I'll take some cable with me and have a look on real hardware. I expect to find the wifi endpoint is responsible for networking and monitoring/reporting functions, and the ethernet and other baseboard ports are used to control/configure the inverter itself. At least, that's what the docs make it look like. There is a tendency for the docs to presume all users actually *want* their units hooked to the internet to take advantage of all the features on offer there, but in real life, especially rural locations, that can't or won't happen depending on owner attitude and where you are.

I'll let you know what I discover after I've had a poke at it

Thanks

All fixed now, I finished up using a old XP machine which had basic networking connections and no wifi, the utube video wants you to connect to the i.p. shown on the inverter screen, I finished up setting the network connection to auto, used a crossover cable, typed in a address 169.254.1.100 on a web page, connection established to the chinese page,changed to english,went to the page as per utube, all working ok.
    I would like to thank all those helped me along, all little bits of info helped.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12