Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding recovered electronics a better home than Ewaste?

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Ride on lawn scruncher /mower???? electric powered

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (06-12-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    Ride on lawn scruncher /mower???? electric powered

You don't actually have to ride on it but can if you like to, think Fester Dynamics.
    Far less elegant than Spot but has a top speed of 35km/h.
    4WD, 4 wheel steering, also switchable to sideways, well in an angle.

Yeah it can crunch things up vertically and horizontally but it's Achille's Heel is chickenwire, so always have some handy if Skynet does manage to hack into it.

One day I will build grabbing attachments that replace the shovel, those actuators have 1500N force. I don't know then if I can get it to cut hedges(nicely) and pick fruit but it will cut chicken wire
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-12-19 at 12:14 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (06-12-19),wotnot (06-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

A remarkable creation and testament to your ingenuity! Well done sir, thanks for sharing =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-03-20),Uncle Fester (06-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    those actuators have 1500N force.
    I want to Build a blade for my Kubota Diesel Ride on. They did have an accessories blade in the states but far as I can tell, None came here. It has Hydraulics to raise the deck but it seems it has lifting power but no powered downforce. I was wondering about those actuators and how strong they really are. Anything Chinese/ fleabay in my experience is more likely to have 500N of force if they rate it at 1500 and I don't know what that equates to in KG anyway.

Have you put these actuators to much work and are they strong and reliable?

I'd like to do a front blade but a rear scraper or ripper blade that Might bite itself in more would be useful as well. Do you think these things would be up to the task or are they light duty for gates etc Only?

I don't know then if I can get it to cut hedges(nicely) and pick fruit but it will cut chicken wire
    What are the specs on the front motors driving the blades? Volt/ HP/ Rpm and where did you procure those?
    I was toying with the idea for a while of making a diesel electric Tractor similar to yours. Have an engine spinning an Induction motor and have that drive the wheels. Save having a gearbox. Got the Kubota which I love and is built like a tank so rather modify that to do what I want now.

Would be great if it had a 3 Point but If I could do one using these actuators.....

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    I want to Build a blade for my Kubota Diesel Ride on. They did have an accessories blade in the states but far as I can tell, None came here. It has Hydraulics to raise the deck but it seems it has lifting power but no powered downforce. I was wondering about those actuators and how strong they really are. Anything Chinese/ fleabay in my experience is more likely to have 500N of force if they rate it at 1500 and I don't know what that equates to in KG anyway.

Have you put these actuators to much work and are they strong and reliable?

I'd like to do a front blade but a rear scraper or ripper blade that Might bite itself in more would be useful as well. Do you think these things would be up to the task or are they light duty for gates etc Only?

What are the specs on the front motors driving the blades? Volt/ HP/ Rpm and where did you procure those?
    I was toying with the idea for a while of making a diesel electric Tractor similar to yours. Have an engine spinning an Induction motor and have that drive the wheels. Save having a gearbox. Got the Kubota which I love and is built like a tank so rather modify that to do what I want now.

Would be great if it had a 3 Point but If I could do one using these actuators.....
    This is all very experimental and will always be work in progress. Unfortunately I am only 4-5 times a year at that location. Missus wanted it out of the garage at home and also doesn't like the bush property, unlike me. So one day it might actually clear the 'meadows' all by itself and go back to it's solar charger but that is in a distant future.

I got the actuators from Aliexpress 2 years ago and run them on 36V, well actually 40V most of the time.
    1000N is roughly enough to lift/push 100kg and I have not managed to lock one up. If I lower the front end to the ground it will just continue to lift up the tractor until it reaches it's end contact. That would be around 70kg. Mine have a built in 10 gang pot to feed back it's position.
    The secret is that they are very slow, heavily geared down.
    I can not say anything about long term reliability but they are so cheap, just keep a spare.

The 36V brushless motors for the blades were rated at 500W each but geared down to about 1000 revs only. I can work my way slowly into lantana, especially if I poisoned it first so it is dry, but any vines will just wrap around the blades, not ideal, need more revs. They didn't say anything on Aliexpress that they were geared down and I thought I would be getting 3000+ revs.
    This is not for real farm work, just hobby.
    I do not recommend them, you would want more revs and power but don't directly compare the performance of combustion engine hp with electric motor watts. Those 500W motors still have surprising torque and inertia and don't stop when they start scraping into the ground.

The 4 wheel hub motors have 500w each. On that gravel I have instant wheel spin when I sit on it even with the lightest touch of the throttle. Due to the small wheel size they can get quickly bogged in holes uphill in rough terrain but it will climb itself out again if I get off and use the RC or just press the accelerator while walking next to it. I weigh about 85kg.

It is powered with 2kWh of LiFePO4 batteries, just riding around uses very little power, can see the amps but with average 30% slashing load about 2 hours run time.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-12-19 at 05:44 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

george65 (06-12-19)

Thanks

What is produced these days is just not worth collecting.

Well no, because there's way more people in the world and if we still built consumer goods like they did in the 30s most of them would still be living in yurts or lean-tos... a hundred years ago you could hire a skilled woodworker for pennies and have them spend a week carving a housing for, say, a TV. Now that woodworker's time is worth far more than the TV ever could be.

If you only see one side of the issue, it looks terrible and sad.

And then there is another problem with all that, I can't separate myself from my OLD 'recyclables'.
    I still have old U-matic and Betacam video equipment, ancient analogue satellite receivers even dating back to the 1980's that none of you would have ever heard of,
    I'm not even 50 and I learned editing on U-Matic - it's not THAT old. And again, if they still built VCRs like that - or, at all - they'd still be in maybe 1% of homes. I liked the newer models that one person can lift, that don't require 20 kilos of metal (wait, HOW much coal did it take to refine that metal...?) just for the undercarraige, and etc.

Or better yet, now you can do the same job with two pieces of silicon and a little plastic. And yes, the stuff breaks in a few years, but by then you've moved on to the better-quality ones anyway (assuming you can still see the screen without big thick glasses, as I'm starting to need...)

Progress has good and bad aspects to it, and your opinion of it depends mainly on which you choose to see. I also look back on my younger days and remember how much time and emotion I invested in getting hold of the simplest bits and bobs, how much time I spent actually LEARNING facts that are now quickly retrieved with a simple spoken query... I would regret it except that nobody can see the future and we're products of our times.

Just a few months ago I threw out a couple hundred old VHS tapes that I spent probably months recording, labeling and indexing back in the 90s... hadn't watched much of 'em since, they're all on streaming now anyway, and nobody wants to recycle them - but I carried them across a dozen apartments, in 3 states and (now) 2 hemispheres. You gotta let go at some point.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Interesting, Thanks.

2 actuators @ 200Kg or better would probably be OK. My other option is to go Hydraulic. I could set that up using a car power steering pump. Would be slow and wouldn't get full force but should be enough. Thing is all those hoses and even simple valves aren't that cheap. A petrol Log splitter would have everything I want but can't find those at a decent price. There is something I would love to find at a tip or cheap somewhere. Wouldn't need the engine, just everything else.

I was also thinking of a Motor Chain setup where I could forward or reverse the motor to get lift or downforce but I would need some sort of worm gear setup for that I think.

Actuators seem to be the best bet.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (06-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

I found today that dead LCD displays are really interesting to pull apart ro recover the polarized film sheets in them - you can do this ;

[attiny + 10 x ws2812]

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

tristen (02-03-20)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12