Thread: One man’s mission

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Default One man’s mission

Time was when Churches were the centre of a community, not just for religious purposes. What have we now? Sadly, as time goes on we are becoming more "isolated" from our neighbours and community. Once, we knew just about everyone in our immediate neighbourhood, now, many would be hard pushed to know our next door neighbour, let alone the bloke around the corner.

How could we reverse this trend, should we? Why? Not? Food for thought.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post

Time was when Churches were the centre of a community, not just for religious purposes. What have we now? Sadly, as time goes on we are becoming more "isolated" from our neighbours and community. Once, we knew just about everyone in our immediate neighbourhood, now, many would be hard pushed to know our next door neighbour, let alone the bloke around the corner.

How could we reverse this trend, should we? Why? Not? Food for thought.
    Execute all the young people a reincarnated all the old folks

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Looks like a fools errand from 12 thousand miles away

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I wasn't so much thinking of the 'resurrected' churches bit (though I would be happy with that) I was thinking more on the, "how can we try and resurrect our sense of community", line. A sporting club, in many ways, is replacing the community spirit of the Church, but, not everyone is into sport. The local pub, might also be such a place (think: A Country Practice) but, again, not a broad appeal either, Especially with the constabulary trying to book you for a drink or two too many. (Which ain't such a bad thing either IYKWIM). So, back to the question, How can we try and engender a sense of Community in a society that is becoming more fragmented by the day. Who of us can name all of our neighbours, when was the last time you spoke with any of them?
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,525 Posts

Haha =)

I think it's just a spinoff of communication technology causing a form of social (d)evolution ; likewise (thinking back to the days I can recall things like that), Australia's population has doubled since say 1960 ; more people tends to result in less familiarity between those people. Churches are on the way out, being sold off to be turned into dwellings and pancake houses Nor do churches look as 'palatable' as they once did, now that communication & technology is so widespread... for example, would Pell have been caught out for his crimes 20 or 30 years ago?... no, because victims of such crimes had no means or forum to find out their experience was 'not just them'.

I remember going to 'Sunday School' at the local church during the 60's as a kid ; 40years after that time I asked my parents why exactly did we do that?...it's not as though either of them were/are particularly religious people. They just told the reason was because it was socially acceptable, everyone in the suburb/country did the same thing, all 'good' people go to church, whether they believe in it or not. Now... that social 'pressure' is gone, the same social pressures that frowned upon women asking for a divorce, or having child out of wedlock, or whearing dresses that showed a girl's knees. It's all social dogma...

..in 50years time, they might be saying 'remember back in the early 21st century when nobody had anything to do with each other? Man I wish those times would come again' ...imagine what society might look like to cause such a comment =)