Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Something wrong here

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Reputation
    3124

    Default Something wrong here

    Tesla boss Elon Musk wins defamation trial over 'pedo guy' tweet
    see

    A federal court jury in Los Angeles on Friday found in favour of Tesla Inc boss Elon Musk in the defamation lawsuit brought against him by a British cave explorer who Musk had branded a "pedo guy" on Twitter.
    Musk called the hero of the cave rescue a 'pedo' because this hero refused the use of 'a yet to be designed and built mini submarine' to rescue the trapped kids. He is clearly not a pedo yet a jury found in Musk's favour, something is clearly wrong with the American Legal system.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

    eaglem (08-12-19),Mr 672A (08-12-19)



Look Here ->
  • #2
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    740
    Thanks
    1,066
    Thanked 710 Times in 332 Posts
    Rep Power
    397
    Reputation
    13401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    something is clearly wrong with the American Legal system.
    You get the outcome that you can afford.

  • The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

    eaglem (08-12-19),enf (07-12-19),george65 (07-12-19),Keith (08-12-19)

  • #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 770 Posts
    Rep Power
    732
    Reputation
    32134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    You get the outcome that you can afford.
    Or the Judge and jury you can afford to buy.

    His defence: It was a joke. As I recall, he called the guy a peado 3 times. Apologised once then did it again at some stage.
    So if someone of note started calling Mush a peado because they were having an argument, that would be OK I take it and Musk would just laugh it off? Yeah right.

    Can't stand Musk, biggest con man and Bullshit artist of modern times. OH but wait, the defence of his sheeple Fan boi's will be " But he made electric cars popular" or " was the first to make electric cars popular and was ahead of his time."
    So frigging what?

    GM, Ford and others DIDN"T get in first ( well GM did actually but had the sense to pull out of EV's ) because they knew they would be in the same boat as Musks Company, Bleeding red ink for years because the things were not profitable to build and as demonstrated by GM, the public was not going to pay for such a limited vehicle. Now lets see what the big boys start wheeling out next year and how the books look for Musk in 12 months.

    No Glory in pissing investors money up the wall for your own egotistical fantasy in my book but for some with weak minds desperate for a cause to believe in.....

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

    carjackma (08-12-19),eaglem (08-12-19)

  • #4
    Premium Member
    Mr 672A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Posts
    3,784
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 642 Posts
    Rep Power
    621
    Reputation
    19805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    see



    Musk called the hero of the cave rescue a 'pedo' because this hero refused the use of 'a yet to be designed and built mini submarine' to rescue the trapped kids. He is clearly not a pedo yet a jury found in Musk's favour, something is clearly wrong with the American Legal system.
    Wonder if Vernon Unsworth called Elon Musk a "Ped Guy" would the outcome be different. Anything that has the Word PEDO or accuse of this the rule of Law is out the Window and anything goes.
    Not responsible for any post written after the 28/10/2014. My pet hate, Corrupt Politicians, Corrupt Legal System + a legal system Australia wide that does not allow you to sue a Solicitor or Barrister for Professional Negligence (as Stated by the Law Society and prominent Lawyers) and Corrupt Cops. Not necessarily in this order. Please Note Lawyers are PROTECTED SPECIES IN THIS COUNTRY, PROTECTED FROM THEIR F..K UPS

  • The Following User Says Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

    RogerTheDoger (08-12-19)

  • #5
    LSemmens
    lsemmens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Rural South OZ
    Posts
    9,068
    Thanks
    9,063
    Thanked 5,713 Times in 2,741 Posts
    Rep Power
    2517
    Reputation
    105520

    Default

    Sadly, it might also have been the amount of money that the plaintiff asked for that the jury could not comprehend. It might be pocket change for Musk, but most of us would have trouble comprehending $1m let alone $190m. I agree, to some degree, with musk, that insults are thrown back and forth during an argument, but..... Not on public media, nor when kids lives are at risk. At the very least, Musk should have been forced to publicly apologise and donate to a children's charity. The (untried) mini sub might have been a good idea, but, if it failed, it would also have been ruining for all concerned. The blokes who refused to try it, were well within their rights to refuse, opting for a more conventional, and proven method.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

  • The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

    RogerTheDoger (08-12-19)

  • #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 770 Posts
    Rep Power
    732
    Reputation
    32134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    The (untried) mini sub might have been a good idea, but, if it failed, it would also have been ruining for all concerned. The blokes who refused to try it, were well within their rights to refuse, opting for a more conventional, and proven method.
    I read a detailed account of the rescue. They had to go through passages so narrow they could barely fit stretchers through. They actually bombed the kids as they were worried if one of them panicked, they could get stuck, loose their air and of course there would be a tragedy. They were also figuring on there being some loss, the fact they got all the kids out unharmed was against the odds they figured on.

    When you have an insight to the facts and situation, a sub was a stupid and very ignorant Idea. They weren't in the ocean with limitless clear space, they were in caves. May as well have tried to Flush a Gumboot down a Toilet.
    The diver guy had already been in there to the kids as had others. HE wasn't some random they grabbed off the street either. No one questioned his skills and knowledge and from what I read, everyone else involved pointed the finger at him to take the lead because they knew he was the best person for the job. The results proved that.
    They knew how tight and twisting things were in there and even they had to be very wary getting in and out with their equipment on their backs. A sub was a laughable suggestion and as suggested at the time, was more another pathetic PR stunt on Musks part than anything else.

    If any one fits my minds impression of what a Peado looks like, It's Musk more than anyone else.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

    RogerTheDoger (08-12-19)

  • #7
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Reputation
    3124

    Default

    Thanks for the responses. I think the jury got this wrong, it was not just an argument with some insults thrown in, it was published world wide on Twitter, anyone could read it and it would be safe to assume that some interpreted Musk's message to mean that the diver was in fact a Pedophile.

    I know nothing about the law but as the defaming occurred world wide it is possible that the court action could have been mounted in a different jurisdiction. Say the UK, for example, I believe the diver was a UK citizen, if it was me I'd trust UK courts above US courts, any day.

    Anyone have knowledge on the law in this regards? Also this is not a criminal case so Double Jeopardy does not apply, so could Musk be sued again somewhere else?

  • #8
    Senior Member
    Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Posts
    5,128
    Thanks
    1,660
    Thanked 3,257 Times in 1,886 Posts
    Rep Power
    1495
    Reputation
    58638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I think the jury got this wrong, it was not just an argument with some insults thrown in, it was published world wide on Twitter, anyone could read it and it would be safe to assume that some interpreted Musk's message to mean that the diver was in fact a Pedophile.

    I know nothing about the law but as the defaming occurred world wide it is possible that the court action could have been mounted in a different jurisdiction. Say the UK, for example, I believe the diver was a UK citizen, if it was me I'd trust UK courts above US courts, any day.

    Anyone have knowledge on the law in this regards? Also this is not a criminal case so Double Jeopardy does not apply, so could Musk be sued again somewhere else?

    Apparently apart from you guys, nobody took Musk's dimwit Pedo comments seriously.
    The rescuer was awarded for his brave work and world wide highly appreciated and therefore experienced no defamation.
    You can't sue for defamation when none occurred.

    This is where the plaintiff should have thought things out more carefully as I am sure a good lawyer would still find a reason to sue Musk, just not on base of defamation. Unfortunately insults came from both sides, otherwise he could sue for public insult, harassment or something. I am certainly not a lawyer but have read up on these things and you must be mighty careful what you say publicly.

    I agree with Lsemmens that Musk should give a high donation to children's charity as an apology.
    50million at least, especially one that involves stopping child labour, particularly in Congo Cobalt mines !!!
    This era of thoughtless consumption must end so we can encourage a world of creative geniuses rather than consumer idiots.


  • The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

    lsemmens (09-12-19)

  • #9
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,856
    Thanks
    1,061
    Thanked 904 Times in 511 Posts
    Rep Power
    458
    Reputation
    12237

    Default

    Gotta love that free speech

  • The Following User Says Thank You to No Longer Used For This Useful Post:

    enf (09-12-19)

  • #10
    Premium Member
    Mr 672A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Posts
    3,784
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 642 Posts
    Rep Power
    621
    Reputation
    19805

    Default

    It shows you that anything under 18 years old that's in trouble and you go to help it you can be called a Pedo guy so since this is the case. LEAVE IT THERE and dont help them
    Not responsible for any post written after the 28/10/2014. My pet hate, Corrupt Politicians, Corrupt Legal System + a legal system Australia wide that does not allow you to sue a Solicitor or Barrister for Professional Negligence (as Stated by the Law Society and prominent Lawyers) and Corrupt Cops. Not necessarily in this order. Please Note Lawyers are PROTECTED SPECIES IN THIS COUNTRY, PROTECTED FROM THEIR F..K UPS

  • #11
    Junior Member
    RogerTheDoger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    State of Despair
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 148 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Reputation
    3124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Apparently apart from you guys, nobody took Musk's dimwit Pedo comments seriously.
    The rescuer was awarded for his brave work and world wide highly appreciated and therefore experienced no defamation.
    Yes I knew the rescuer was a hero for getting the kids out, but that does not also mean that he is not a pedophile. There are plenty of other prominent and even famous people who have been convicted of pedophilia. Prominent clergymen, famous entertainers, judges, film producers and top businessmen. To name a few.

    When Musk made that comment my first thought was, 'He knows something I don't'. I knew Musk ran an electric car business, but I didn't know he was just a wanker who made outlandish statements. I do now, because I've followed up on this story. Others may not have done that and actually thought that the hero of this story did have a shady past.

    This verdict may confirm that in their minds.

    Musk has to be taken down, it's just not right to defame anyone and get away with it.

  • #12
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 770 Posts
    Rep Power
    732
    Reputation
    32134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

    I am certainly not a lawyer but have read up on these things and you must be mighty careful what you say publicly.
    Apparently not.
    Least not if you are a billionaire. Musk is well known for his lies and Bullshit. Already been fined $20M for his BS tweets about his company that were patently untrue and proven to be. His spin doctoring and and excuses didn't fly with the securities commission, musnt have been able to buy them off like he can those in civil courts.

  • #13
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 770 Posts
    Rep Power
    732
    Reputation
    32134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    I knew Musk ran an electric car business, but I didn't know he was just a wanker who made outlandish statements. I do now, because I've followed up on this story.
    99.9 % of what musk says or " tweets" is complete and utter bullshit. Have a look at what he says about things concerning the car company like delivery/ release dates and see how many of them have come true, None what so ever so far. Lucky if they are just a year out, most are closer to 2. But there is always some excuse.
    Must be 3 Years since he made the big song and dance about solar roof tiles. They only just started installing a VERY limited amount of those things and but hyped them up like they would change the world and would be available in 3 months time at the announcement.

    He's known for his " 6 months" Bullshit. Everything is going to be ready in 6 Months time... but NEVER is. He works on the principal of keeping people distracted from the fact that time is up on product release dates he made before by distracting attention to what will be available in the future..... a future a long way ahead of what he claimed in the first place.

    When I heard of the Cyber truck the other week I thought stuff me, he's actualy built the POS truck he spoke about 2-3 years ago. Nope, STILL haven't got those going yet but to make you forget that broken promise, he'll razzle Dazzle the weak minded fan bois with yet another shiny vapourware trinket for them to gush and wank themselves stupid over.

    I still got over 3 years on my 5 year prediction Musk and Tesla will be history. When it comes out of the gross mismanagement and stupidity of the whole thing, The disciples will still be making excuses for musk claiming it was someone elses fault .


    Others may not have done that and actually thought that the hero of this story did have a shady past.
    When someone of Notoriety like Musk slings shit, some of it always sticks. That alone should have been basis for a judgement against him.

  • #14
    Administrator
    admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Victoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    30,936
    Thanks
    2,215
    Thanked 13,430 Times in 5,708 Posts
    Rep Power
    4380
    Reputation
    159785

    Default

    Musk's arrogance knows no boundaries in my opinion. His intention was to show off and he didnt like it when he was rebuffed.

    Given his pedo comment, and the fact he followed it up with a second one I am surprised he got off.

  • The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

    george65 (11-12-19),RogerTheDoger (10-12-19)

  • #15
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    1,898
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 770 Posts
    Rep Power
    732
    Reputation
    32134

    Default

    The whole idea of the sub was ignorant, stupid and nothing more than a PR stunt. The passages they had to go through which were now well under water were narrow, twisting and laughable to get anything large and ridgid through. I forget the details now as I read about it a while back but if memory serves, they strapped the kids to stretchers with an air tank and at some point, had to take them off, basically pass them through some opening to other divers who took them from there and then put them on another stretcher to get them out the back end. The other divers went back then and got another kid.
    There was a doctor and a couple of divers with them at all times and they had to be very careful not to knock their tanks and damage their equipment or cause rocks to fall. It was real touch and go and they didn't expect things to go as smooth or be as lucky as they were.

    Like I said, trying to put a sub in there with the twisting narrow passages would be like trying to flush a gumboot down a toilet.
    Stupid Idea that musk should have been lambasted for by all and sundry rather than the predictable hero worship I read at the time of him being such a generous guy trying to help the poor kids. Maybe they should have put musk in the sub after they got the kids out and jammed it in there so he got a first hand look at what was going on... and left him there seeing the sub was such a brilliant idea.

    Man is lower than a snake to grandstand on something like this and should have had his pompous, indignant arse handed to him.
    If I remember right, Tesla was in all sorts of shit at the time so this was nothing more than a typical distraction for his own self benefit.
    Last edited by george65; 11-12-19 at 12:26 PM.

  • The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

    lsemmens (12-12-19)

  • Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •