Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where's the motorcycle section??? :P

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I kinda like electronics if I have them and more so on this beast. ABS dirt mode traction contol.....alllows rear wheel to spin at twice the front to allow it to hang out a little.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

How considerate of it ; it allows you to play around & learn some bike control (like the old days when it was you, the bike, and throttle control in the right hand that was the difference between an endo or not =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-01-20),SS Dave (02-01-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I'd just re-registered my bike (a few centuries ago) so it had to be inspected. The knobby that I usually preferred was not "road legal" so I'd fitted a trials universal to get the bit of paper. Heading back to work I decided to do a nice slide across the dirt carpark behind work. All went well 'till I hit the bitumen. You'd think that it would have grabbed an that's what I was expecting. Nope! It let go big time, that tyre on bitumen was slipperier than snot on a door knob. I went down in a big cloud of dust. Fortunately the only thing hurt was my pride. I earned my nickname that day from one of the blokes who saw it all. It stuck with me all my years in Telecom.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Had a red tank Suzuki SP370 thumper yonks ago, nice bike that...but it occurred to me it was hardly ever near dirt roads in practice, it spent most of it's time as an agile, nimble city commuter. Obviously universal dirt/road tyres aren't really up to full time tarmac, and wet bitumen was next to a nightmare you didn't want to be in. I concluded I'd try and set it up more for road in some really simple ways...down a tooth on the front chain sprocket, up 2 teeth on the rear...iirc (late 70's) there was stuff all I could do about the front tyre, I think it was 21" rim, and there was bugger all choice outside of full dirt & universal tread types, so I stuck with the latter. The rear however was 18" and the widest road tyre I could find to fit was a Cheng-Shin which arguably was about the worst roadbike tyre you could buy at the time. In fact, it didn't have much more grip than the universal knobby it replaced, but, it -did- have the road thread side profile - gave it a sort of flat-track/speedway bike feel to ride on bitumen ; you kept the front upright and pointed where you wanted to go, and the road tyre profile on the back let you lay/slide the rear end right over, without falling off the edge of the last row of knobs and ever lasting rear wheel freedom =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

LSemmens
    Thanks

Very pretty, are they legal in OZ?

Thanks

got to meet aussie or euro spec not the USA to be legal here

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'll pop this here, because the thread topic really does fit

LSemmens
    Thanks

Is that bloke for real?
    I hope my bike sounds half as good as that Harley when I put the New (to me) pipes on it. The bike wrecker is going to ring me when they get 'em off the old bike, along with a couple of other goodies. I'm gonna modify a shifter so that I get rid of the back pedal which I keep hitting when I pick my feet up causing an upshift as I'm taking off from the lights. Hopefully, they'll also find an offset riser for my bars, too, because all the "new ones" I'm looking at are for either 7/8" bars or 1 1/8" bars, 1" bars are, for some reason, few and far between.

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (19-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Which bloke?
    The bloke on the Harley insistent on doing 10-15kph under the limit, can't work out he's got enough power to pass a truck, that displays the riding skills of a muppet?

Or the bloke behind the wheel of the car, having one of his usual non-serious rants about non riders, riding?

Or maybe you picked up on the fact there was a girl in the passenger seat of the car, who at one stage opened her blouse to flash her tits at the bloke on the bike?

Handle bars... I always used flat bars or clip-ons personally, because big 2strokes =)

Thanks

so many #### head drivers on our roads that have no respect for other users. So what if he was going slower than the speed limit? Maybe he just bought the bike and riding it home for the first time? People are just getting angrier and angrier on our roads

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Tiny (19-08-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks

Who says he was travelling slower than the speed limit. The dropkick in the Tin Top? The bike did overtake the truck when it was legal along with the TinTop. The second truck was turning right at the same intersection where the bike pulled up behind him, again, obviously ready for a legal turn. I ride as though everybody on the road is an absolute idiot, I've yet to be disappointed.

If I were riding a sports bike, then clip ons would be useful, I'm on a tourer and clipons would be downright uncomfortable.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Tiny (19-08-20),wotnot (19-08-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Handlebars are really 'rider fit/bike layout' type of thing - it's very personal fit. Local bloke I know lent me his R100RS bimmer with big fairing & panniers for 3months while he was O/S ... what a nice bike, those things can grow on you very quickly ; he'd changed the bars to suit the faring, iirc it was 1.25" ...at first it feels a bit 'sit uppish' for want of a better way of putting it, but you get used to the comfort before stance approach pretty quickly on that style of machine ...you can get 'odd' fit/feels too with some bikes - don't put ape-hangers on a Vespa ...

On the widowmaker 2stroke streetbikes back in in 70's I rode, clip-ons/drops/flats were one of those necessary thangs, to keep some sort control/stance on a machine, that wants to paw the frontwheel at the sky every time the mill cracks into 'band =)

The bloke in the tintop I know very well ; as annotated in the ewetoob vid, 'no umbrage intended' -- when he peels off into a verbal rant like that, it's never actually 'serious' -- it's always comedic like 'Chopper Reid' ... it's like he's one of those real life ppl, on which the comedy character of Chopper Reid is based upon sort of thing.

I know the area/road myself very well, so his account & the video data match...he's got streetbike experience as well. What you don't see is apparently 5seconds before the youtube vid begins, you can see the truck&dog both the bike/car pass, entering from the right at the Sandy CK road intersection @0:11 - that road leads up to a local blue-metal quarry, so the truck's heavy, spooling the turbo through gears to get that 40-odd tonne of rig up to 100kph posted speed limit. If you freezeframe 0:11 ... see that road-sign and leaning telegraph pole up ahead on the left? That's the earliest possible moment the bike can move out to pass the slow moving truck (you see this @0:15)...

....in close to tintop driver's own words....'so I've seen the truck pulling out ahead from the quarry, know he's gunna be slow, and I'm keen to get past him 'coz if they're gunna throw &%& rocks at your windscreen, it's usually soon after they're been loaded. I've seen the bike up ahead, figure he'll be out & around the truck ASAP to avoid a possible &^##^$ng rock in the &*^^ing head as well...but what does the *^&*ing muppet on the bike do?....he sits behind the truck doing perhaps 60 on a 100kph road, right behind the ((&$ing right bogey at dennis lille half volley take your *&^$ing head off distance rock throwing distance, and so I'm back a gear (0:14) 'coz if -I- haven't got a ((&#ing clue what that bike rider's up to, the rider's got even less of a clue, and I don't wanna run the *(&^ing stupid prick over...having successfully slowed himself down to the same speed as the truck and hung in that driver's blind spot for far too long, he suddenly grows a clue and thinks to have a look if he's clear to pass the truck...which has been clear for him to pass for the last 100 &^%$ing metres 'coz it's been the same for me to pass for just as &&%^ing long, and when he does decide to pass he dawdles about, doesn't even check his *&^%ing mirrors...in fact, I've ridden *&%^ing motorbikes for years, and if you're a rider you can see...he never checks his mirrors, I'm not sure if the ^%$@ing muppet knew I was there at all...then, right, he has to slow down so much for the righthander (0:42), I'm starting to wonder if he's on &%^%ing drugs, 'coz that truck we both passed has got his 40tonnes up to speed...as I hear him jake-brake through the same righthander...faster than the *&^%ing bike did...what really &^$%ed me right off, was when that truck was actually on my tail, being held up by the same *&^%ing retard that needs to do 10-15kph under the posted speed limit...for no apparent reason...why pass the ^%$#ing truck at all, if you're only going to hold him up like that? He's trying to make a living...and then I sortta &^%$ing lost it as usual'

I've reviewed the video carefully, and it seems to me he's right - the bike could've been out and around that truck long before the car got there....and he's right, I can't divine any moment when the rider checks his mirrors or is even aware there's a car behind him (bit hard to be 100% sure with the rider's floppy collar, which would annoy the hell out of me anyway as a rider)...and the fact the bike was going that slow he ended up holding up both the car & the truck he just past, we can't see granted, but it sure explains why the tintop driver lit up his voice at that point in the video, and not before. Likewise, he's right...when the bike makes the lefthand turn at the T-section behind the truck ahead of him, he crosses an unbroken white line lane marker ; the truck's allowed to do that because articulated, long vehicle ... the bike is not, the rider should have positioned the bike exactly how & where the tintop driver did marking that left turn...and likewise, I saw no indicator on the bike, when merging into the righthand turning lane.

Further...as a rider myself, there's something odd about that rider's body language on the bike when doing lefthanders, and in both situations when the rider's behind a truck, he's too close and not controlling the bike with any with any regard for what some of us know as 'defensive riding' ....and if I were really to stick my neck out on a chopping block, if I were harley-davidson brand loyal, I'd be ashamed/embarrassed to see someone riding 'my' kind of bike, like -that-.

Btw, where's the motorcycle section?

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (24-08-20)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12