Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the motorcycle section??? :P

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default Where's the motorcycle section??? :P

Rocky Dam above Falls Creek earlier today.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

gamve (18-08-20),Godzilla (28-12-19),gulliver (11-12-19),hinekadon (09-12-19),Johnno (11-12-19),lsemmens (09-12-19),ol' boy (11-12-19),Tiny (09-12-19),VroomVroom (13-12-19)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

That looks good!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Bloody Nice mate..

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Looks like this the MC thread.

Just watched this, awesome.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (22-12-19),lsemmens (22-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Might be a idea to open one up.

Looking at LAMs bikes and already started to work up how to bypass the factory restrictions.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,882 Times in 1,280 Posts

The Lams bike thing is a bit of a joke on some bike's.
    One bike a mate had was remove a linking plug under the seat then reconnect the battery.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks

The Honda CBR650Fs simply get new intake trumpets, a exhaust and a dyno tune, $1500 sees the power output back to where it should be from what ive been reading.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,882 Times in 1,280 Posts

One of the HD dealers near here will do that before you ride home on your LAMS bike on your L's so I have heard.
    But how many HD's have a stock pipe any way.

It used the engine capacity 250cc or less for learners and that made the RD250 2 stroke very popular or a RD350 with 250 decals.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (29-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,508 Posts

...went for my first license test on a 750cc Mach-IV Kwaka 2stroke triple, chambers, flat-slide Mikunis..good for 10sec passes at Surfer's ...add some R30 castrol oil to the mix to make it smell pretty for the driving test, all good...(tester remarked I got a improved grade based on bravery =)...

...not sure this LAMS scheme is worth a pinch of shit. Nowadays I watch m'bike riders while driving my car around...and it's horrorshow! They don't ride their machine and position themselves anywhere near where they should be so car drivers can SEE them (so many flaunt about at the left rear quarter following), and as I recall it, having huge acceleration potential & kill power-to-weigh ratios actually *saved* me more times than it ever hurt me when it came to getting out of the way of errant car drivers...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Agreed! My thinking is every learner should be forced to ride a motor bike for the first couple of years before being allowed to drive a tin top. That way, some of the idiots may never get behind the wheel, and others will realise just how vulnerable they are on the roads. They will also have much better situational awareness when they do get behind the wheel which makes it better for all on the road. I always rode and drive as though every other road user is an absolute idiot. So far, I have yet to be proven wrong. Sadly, I see M/C riders who should know better do stupid things too.

Only yesterday a bloke riding a nice Harley wearing a Metro Fire Service T shirt (IOW he gets to clean up after road accidents as part of his job) decides that red lights mean accelerate to beat the traffic about to cross the intersection. DOH!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (29-12-19),gulliver (01-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,947 Posts

Wotnot, one of my current bikes.
    1974 Suzuki gt750 2 stroke triple, runs on castor oil for that lovely smell.
    Nothing better than putting around town to oil it up then give it some when passing Harley's and covering them in a lovely 2 stroke cloud...

Also have a t500 titan I need to get sorted and on the road....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (29-12-19),gulliver (01-01-20),hazman (30-12-19),LeroyPatrol (30-12-19),SS Dave (29-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Aye, that'd be the truth of it as well... and while they're at it, they should spend some time at the wheel of 40 odd tonnes of prime mover + trailer, -and- a bus load of children/people to open their eyes up a bit. The driver testing system here somehow manages to pass drivers who have no frigging clue...ie; mate of mine sitting at a red-light on his GSX-R, the numpty in the car behind him rolls into the bike and knocks him off ; that same thing happened to me in the car, sitting there minding my own business...>bump<, tinkle tinkle...idiot behind me had rolled into the rear of my car and found my towball has the force =) When car drivers are -this- bad you're becoming a target just being stationary at a red traffic light, you have to be right on your game riding a bike on the road. The number of drivers I've seen (particularly over the past 20years or so), who blatantly turn their car out into the path on an oncoming motorbike, is just frightening...sometimes it's so blatant, you wonder if the car driver's deliberately trying to kill the rider! Mind you, I've seen just as many dim-witted bike riders not see the potential for that to happen 100m way, and move to a better spot on the tarmac, just in case that idiot ahead pulls out and tries to kill them...yeah? Sometimes it's just as much the rider's fault for not adopting a aggressive mental attitude of 100% full time defensive riding poise when around cars....and by that, I mean try driving a car around in the country like I do where you have to be driving 100% of the time watching out for skippy suddenly appearing in front of you.

Stands to reason though - if the driver training and testing system somehow manages to give driving licenses to people who can't drive cars properly, they're gunna end up giving licenses to people who can't ride bikes properly as well. End of the day, they're all only being tested to see if they can operate the vehicle within the limits of the road laws, and not being tested on defensive driving skills, driver awareness, vehicle control in emergency situations, of any number of 'advanced driving skills' you can pay for out of your own pocket as part of your own personal driver education. Shouldn't be like that..testing centers should include such things as part of their driver testing programs, skid pans, dead stops, emergency swerve, all that jazz, and people should pass -all- these tests first before they're even let anywhere near the road =)

Going by what I've seen, many bike riders these days are sadly lacking in these skills, and that's upsetting to me (being a long time rider myself, over 50years worth =) ~ it's often a case of life or death (or life long injuries) when it comes to having a bingle on yer bike, people in cars just prang their cars, and the airbags go off obscuring the view of them running over some bloke on the ground... it's all too real yeah.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Wotnot, one of my current bikes.
    1974 Suzuki gt750 2 stroke triple, runs on castor oil for that lovely smell.
    Nothing better than putting around town to oil it up then give it some when passing Harley's and covering them in a lovely 2 stroke cloud...

Also have a t500 titan I need to get sorted and on the road....

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hey there!... nice, I owned a blue water-bottle once upon a time (in fact I owned examples of all the Suzi GT triples..380, 550 & 750), it had 3-into-1 chamber on it, sounded mint. Good bike too... until some mongrel stole it and it was never seen again.

Been a long long time since I've seen a T500 ...they must be rare as in the wild these days..

Yeah, castor oil has a nice aroma as well (although never use too much in a stock thick ringed piston, gums the rings up)...but back in those days (for full effect) you'd go down your local petrol station and order in a 20l drum of Shell-A gas (which was hellishly expensive at the time @ $22 a drum....when the old leaded 'super' fuel was around 20cents/litre =), and you'd go for a ride into the city, and crack it into band a couple of times to let the J&R chambers bark...them close throttle to hear the noise of the angry mill reverberating & echoing off the tall buildings....(and of course the A-gas made all the use of that 75thou taken off the heads with a squish band turned on them =).... fun days.

Eat smoke! Haha....the kwakas always did that. Suzuki had that crankcase oil re-circulation business that had some acronym I no longer remember, and they weren't quite as bad in this respect (iirc, the PR hype was it helped make their 2strokes more refined & advanced over the competition) -- what it actually was, to the petrolhead 2stroke tuner, was a giant pita...the last thing you want is your crankcase charge pressure leaking out (anywhere, let alone this oil re-circulation path), and the bronze hose barbs in the cylinder transfer ports are in the way of Mr. Die Grinder and had to go. Then the suzi's acted like kwaka's ...big pall of blue smoke behind you when you gave it the beans. Had to be mindful of the oil buildup in the crankcases, in case some nutter on a z900 or something thought they had the goods and got away with it, because the thing fouled a plug pulling thru 2rd 'coz I hadn't spun out the oil from puttering around town for 20minutes... fun days.. =)

Thanks

Geeze Hoe, that last bike with the drum brakes reminds me of my first bike i had in 1980, a 1974 Honda CB200.

While my friends were still catching the bus around, it was nice to be able to get your learners at 16 and get a taste of a life long addiction to enjoying the road.

Bought it from a older international student who crashed it and bent the forks, had the forks straightened and had a way of getting freedom till i got my car licence.

Didnt do my grades at school any good, while others studied i was out enjoying the road......
    Last edited by Godzilla; 29-12-19 at 01:42 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

I always loved the water bottle, I'd have one today if I could afford it. I was given one in a zillion pieces in my younger days but there was too much missing, I was in Darwin and there was no internet. Sadly it ended up as landfill.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Arrrrrrr, the good old days

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    The Honda CBR650Fs simply get new intake trumpets, a exhaust and a dyno tune, $1500 sees the power output back to where it should be from what ive been reading.
    we get the lams version and the rest of the world gets the full power version! I almost hired one in Europe earlier in the year but went for a Honda VFR crossrunner for the touring.
    There's restrictions on the SV650 that is cutting a wire I think and the Ducati 659 Monster has a throttle restriction tab you pull out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    we get the lams version and the rest of the world gets the full power version! I almost hired one in Europe earlier in the year but went for a Honda VFR crossrunner for the touring.
    There's restrictions on the SV650 that is cutting a wire I think and the Ducati 659 Monster has a throttle restriction tab you pull out.
    I have a friend who got a Ducati 1199 and a week ago we found out how to change all the dash settings for power, brakes and suspension.

Hes a light weight rider, once we softened up the suspension to suit him, turned off the rear ABS and opened up the power setting, its a whole lot easier to ride and faster.

He use to wonder why his other friends with jap bikes were so much quicker in certain situations......thats no longer a problem now.

The sophistication of that bike is on another level, far far far away of what i had in the 80s.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    The sophistication of that bike is on another level, far far far away of what i had in the 80s.
    Ain't that the truth (and I started on bikes back in the 70's) ... motorbikes used to be relatively simple, basic sorts of machines a rider could service and look after in DIY style. Now they bristle with so much technology and computer assisted control, it's a completely different world to the old 'untamed' days =)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Ain't that the truth (and I started on bikes back in the 70's) ... motorbikes used to be relatively simple, basic sorts of machines a rider could service and look after in DIY style. Now they bristle with so much technology and computer assisted control, it's a completely different world to the old 'untamed' days =)
    It's not as bad as you think.
    Once you get your head around the electronics side of things, the rest is just mechanical parts similar to the old bikes.
    I have an Aprilia RSV4 that has the full ride by wire throttle system & ECU mapping, it is not difficult to use the electronics & with a little education you can learn to read the fuel & throttle opening control maps, edit them in free programs & then write them to the ECU for tuning.
    Mechanically not that difficult, I just had the engine out to remove heads, replace valve springs & cam chains.
    It was a little time consuming removing the wiring harness from the engine, but not too bad.
    Had to use my noggin to get the wiring harness back in the correct position though.

Then there is the wife's Ducati that has had a recent electronics issue, it went into limp mode with warning lights on dash etc.
    Read the faults in the ECU via OBD cable & found it was pointing to the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) that activates the butterfly opening of the throttle bodies.
    Cleared the fault but it kept reoccurring.
    Pulled the fuel tank took a look around, disconnected & reconnected the TPS & ECU connectors.
    Put it back together & it hasn't done it since, so I assume it was just a little bit of resistance in one of the connections I played with.

Unfortunately now it has an issue with oil pressure being too high. Only found out after the oil pressure sensor failed & was leaking oil into the wiring harness, which caused the oil warning light to come on.
    Now the light being on should indicate low oil pressure, however when I measured the oil pressure at the switch it was not relieving pressure as expected.
    It has over 130PSI at 6k rpm & would go off the gauge if revved over 6k rpm.

Pulled the clutch cover to access the oil pump & pressure relief valve to find the oil pump in perfect condition, oil galleries clean & clear, oil pressure relief valve looks mechanically perfect.
    I'm suspicious as to whether the oil pressure relief valve spring is just poorly over engineered.
    Anyway I've ordered a new oil pump cover that contains the relief valve to find out if I'm right or wrong, as there is no oil pressure spec in the service manual & the people I've spoken to haven't measured one of these model bikes before, but they do agree the readings I got are too high.
    The max oil pressure listed for other Ducatis is 87 PSI which fits in with ICE standards for oil pressure relief limit.

So as I said; all doable by an old school self educated mechanic.
    Last edited by Tiny; 01-01-20 at 02:40 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (01-01-20),ol' boy (01-01-20)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast