Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where's the motorcycle section??? :P

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,609 Times in 2,743 Posts

I kinda like electronics if I have them and more so on this beast. ABS dirt mode traction contol.....alllows rear wheel to spin at twice the front to allow it to hang out a little.

Premium Member
    Thanks

How considerate of it ; it allows you to play around & learn some bike control (like the old days when it was you, the bike, and throttle control in the right hand that was the difference between an endo or not =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-01-20),SS Dave (02-01-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,747 Times in 2,754 Posts

I'd just re-registered my bike (a few centuries ago) so it had to be inspected. The knobby that I usually preferred was not "road legal" so I'd fitted a trials universal to get the bit of paper. Heading back to work I decided to do a nice slide across the dirt carpark behind work. All went well 'till I hit the bitumen. You'd think that it would have grabbed an that's what I was expecting. Nope! It let go big time, that tyre on bitumen was slipperier than snot on a door knob. I went down in a big cloud of dust. Fortunately the only thing hurt was my pride. I earned my nickname that day from one of the blokes who saw it all. It stuck with me all my years in Telecom.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Had a red tank Suzuki SP370 thumper yonks ago, nice bike that...but it occurred to me it was hardly ever near dirt roads in practice, it spent most of it's time as an agile, nimble city commuter. Obviously universal dirt/road tyres aren't really up to full time tarmac, and wet bitumen was next to a nightmare you didn't want to be in. I concluded I'd try and set it up more for road in some really simple ways...down a tooth on the front chain sprocket, up 2 teeth on the rear...iirc (late 70's) there was stuff all I could do about the front tyre, I think it was 21" rim, and there was bugger all choice outside of full dirt & universal tread types, so I stuck with the latter. The rear however was 18" and the widest road tyre I could find to fit was a Cheng-Shin which arguably was about the worst roadbike tyre you could buy at the time. In fact, it didn't have much more grip than the universal knobby it replaced, but, it -did- have the road thread side profile - gave it a sort of flat-track/speedway bike feel to ride on bitumen ; you kept the front upright and pointed where you wanted to go, and the road tyre profile on the back let you lay/slide the rear end right over, without falling off the edge of the last row of knobs and ever lasting rear wheel freedom =)

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12