Thread: Victorian arse raping power companies

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Victorian arse raping power companies

Geez I am sick of changing power companies. If you are from Vic and have solar, you have 2 changes per year.

1. New power prices starting 1 Jan
    2. Change in feed in tariff

I am currently with Momentum and have been since November 2018. Original rates were great, then they lowered the feed in tarrif. I considered moving, but couldnt find anything better.
    Today I get this increase. Note most of my use is Off peak. How can they justify an off peak rise that big ?

Top is current, bottom is new rates :

Look Here ->
    Thanks

you do not have permission to access this page

Administrator
    Thanks

I ended up moving to Amaysim. The Vic comparison site, using my smart meter data directly, says I should come out with a $90 credit for the year.

What I dont like is paying a big peak rate, but at the end of the day it works out cheaper. I have previously enjoyed being able to run my Daiken 7/8kw as a heater all wekkend on cheap off peak rates, rather than expensive ducted gas but it looks like those days are gone.

New Amaysim rates below. The 20 cent feed in will be nice as in peak summer I can generate up to 50 kw/h's a day in so

Administrator
    Thanks

Apologies for the pics, postimage is down at the moment.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    you do not have permission to access this page
    Bah, pictures you mean I presume ? I uploaded them directly to the forum, I know only admins can but I thought members could view.

I'll do some changes

Administrator
    Thanks

Ok, hows that ? Postimage has been down for about 13 hours now, not a good sign.

While my supply rate with Momentum droped from 97 to 90 cents, the off peak rise is just ridiculous. 13 cents to nearly 23 cents....how do they justify that ?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Nope, still blank white pages

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

All power companies are arse raping. They made $2.7 BILLION PROFIT in this country last financial year. That's arse raping pure and simple. I get the shits bad when I hear some moron Pollie talking about lowering power charges. If they haven't already with that sort of profit, they sure as shit aren't going to now.

The worst part is, These power co Fktards with the help of all the Green lefty alarmist bedwetters have destroyed the grid stability with all their unreliable power so now when everyone turns on their AC on a hot day, the grid will crash. But No, they are not blackouts, they are Load shedding. I swear if some idiot pollie or power co exec stood in front of me and said that I would punch them out for the gross insult to my intelligence.

They are not only raping the consumer, private and business, they are Fking the system completely. When it's no longer workable, they will bail and and the gubbermint will be forced to take it back over and you and me and everyone else will be forced to pay to resurect it while the power co execs walk away with their Multi million Dollar Bonuses.

My Friend father was CEO od Sydney electricity about 20 years back. He had set up different funds for emergency repairs and maintence, had a generous growth allowance and basically money set aside to cover different contingency's. Soon as he went that was done away with to make the profits look better and all these funds were slashed to the point that they couldn't even maintain growth and predicted repairs let alone unforeseen ones. And of course that was back when the Gubbermint owned it. Once private enterprise took over.... Well we know well how that's gone .

Having to much time on my hands and a proclivity for an amount of self sufficiency, I have looked into the situation with the grid and all this unreliable power and it's scary as well as stupid.
    Also laughable that in SA the state that boasts no coal fired power, they import it and have Huge gas turbine generators that Suck down a tanker load of fuel ( 80,000L ) an Hour. Yes, 80KL of diesel and HOUR!. Yeah, that's so much better than coal right and cheaper too! NOT. They won't even say how much the generators cost but the estimate is $50M Each. They had 3, I believe there are more now. Too disgusted to see what the latest travesty is.

I bought some ( more) diesel engines this year and was hoping to have them set up on a BIG gen head so I can power my own house including the AC. There is NO doubt in my mind once the real hot weather comes the lights will go out. I want mine to stay on. Setting up or own genny is something even the mrs fully approves of having had a number of blackouts at work and here. Just run into a couple of small problems getting parts but once machine shop is done I will be getting a genny running quick smart. 12-15 Kw should do me and at least one of the neighbours.

I think the whole thing with the Feed in rates is a Fking crime. They want to shove all this weather change Globull warming down our throats and put BS about how much Co2 our power use generated on the bills but then fly in the face of their BS concerns every step of the way.
    WTF would anyone in their right mind put priority of Solar farms hundered of KM from where the power is used over rooftop solar they whine " Overloads" the system? Sheer bloody greed is why.

It is complete and Utter BS to say the system can't handle the solar input. It is easily upgradeable to handle it but that would mean updating some of the 50+ yo infrastructure and that's the last thing they want to do, spend money on the system. They whinge about rooftop solar but I'll bet they are happy they are getting the 12KW or so I can send back to them on the hot days because if they didn't have the rooftop input, they would be a lot more stuffed than they are now.
    The fact they can buy power off you for .6 C kwh and sell it to the neighbour next door for .30c is just wrong. OP you might be getting . 20 C kwh feed in but how long is that for ( often only a 12 Month lead generator) and what are you paying for your peak power? I have seen " Plans" ( another idiotic BS stunt of the power co's) where the peak useage rate can be .50C kwh. They don't loose, they give with one hand and take back 5x as much with the other.

I am VERY lucky atm. I have old spinny analouge meters and over 20KW worth of panels . I spin the meters back during the day and use that power I put in at night. In other words, I am getting a 1:1 FIT . Won't last forever, sooner rather than later they will come and put in a smart arse meter. At that time I'll look at getting apporval for a 10 Kw system, Put in a small cheap one and Hook the systems I have into it so I'm backfeeding 10Kw all day every day to make up for the insulting feedback rate they give you. I might even be able to come out in front.

Failing that, I will look at a DIY battery system. Forklift packs seem to be the best bang for the buck but I don't think unless power Multiplies several times in price that will be cheaper but that may well happen and that's the way I will go. That's the longer term idea with the panels and generator. With those and batteries I can make a fairly easy transition to being off grid.... which the power companies Piss and moan about as well. Can't have any decline in revenue and bending people over now can we?

I give it 5 Year max and this is going to all blow up into one hell of a debacle. It is already but because big biz and gubbermints are involved, it's kept fairly quiet. When the lights start going out as they surely will, then when we are really in the ship a lot will come to light. There is all this talk of RE targets but nothing about the needed baseload power.
    The spin doctors and idiot Gullible Green morons point to things like batteries and Pumped Hydro but have either no idea of what is involved or choose to stick their heads in the sand with regards to cost and the amount needed. they are talking about 1-2 Pumped hydro systems in NSW costing Billions, the reality is you'd need about 50 To give reliable supply once the coal stations they are so hell bent on removing are gone.

Wind is a complete and Utter joke and no matter how well spin doctored, is a failure world wide and on a steep decline. The effects of turbines on surrounding areas is being hidden as well but it's an environmental disaster. I can see the day they not only won't be built any more ( and that's happening now) but they will be forced to be removed.

Faster I can get my generator up and running the better. For the moment I'll have to be content with the little genny and tying the Solar panels into that for frequency base and getting the extra solar power.

Administrator
    Thanks

I am ####ed if I know what is going on with images today, they are there, than they arent, I think I must have been seeing cached versions when the server pooped its pants. So I will cut and paste instead. Momentums changes.

Your current energy charges for REMOVED
    GST Inclusive
    Daily Supply Charge ($ per day) 0.97427
    Peak 1 usage ($ per kWh) first 6.57534 kWh per day 0.31702
    Peak 2 usage ($ per kWh) remaining peak usage 0.30646
    Shoulder usage ($ per kWh) 0.22099
    Off Peak usage ($ per kWh) 0.13376
    *The usage times relating to the various periods used in your rates are set out below:
    Peak Usage : 3pm - 11pm working weekdays.
    Shoulder Usage : 7am - 3pm working weekdays.
    Off Peak Usage : All other times.
    Your new energy charges effective 1 January 2020 for REMOVED
    GST Inclusive
    Daily Supply Charge ($ per day) 0.90519
    Peak 1 usage ($ per kWh) first 6.57534 kWh per day 0.34430
    Peak 2 usage ($ per kWh) remaining peak usage 0.34430
    Shoulder usage ($ per kWh) 0.27544
    Off Peak usage ($ per kWh) 0.22946
    *The usage times relating to the various periods used in your rates are set out below:
    Peak Usage : 3pm - 11pm working weekdays.
    Shoulder Usage : 7am - 3pm working weekdays.
    Off Peak Usage : All other times.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Ok, hows that ? Postimage has been down for about 13 hours now, not a good sign.

While my supply rate with Momentum droped from 97 to 90 cents, the off peak rise is just ridiculous. 13 cents to nearly 23 cents....how do they justify that ?
    Your peak rate is 23 c KWH??

Well that makes me eat my words!
    I pay .30C flat rate. Not that I care too much. If you are getting 20C per KWH for feed in, I'd say you got the deal of a life time... even if it is only for 12 Months.
    I'd be buying a stack of used panels and putting them up too so your inverter was flat out backfeeding 5KW or whatever it is from sun up to sun down every day of the year. I have my inverters all at least twice overclocked and the inverters still produce at least 75% power all year round.
    You can even put on another inverter and plug it in. That will take the household loads off the main system and allow it to feed back all the power it produces if the 2nd system covers the house. Golden opportunity to have the mongrels pay you. i'd be milking it for all it was worth. Used solar panels and inverters are cheap as chips and have a payback in months set up this way.

Your supply charge is also good. mine is about a dollar rounding off the multiple decimal points. I -think- it just went over a dollar but for some reason I haven't got the last bill. Not even an estimate. I have looked on line and they seem to be making the billing period 6 Months this time. Dunno what's going on there but to my favour.

Not hard for my supply charges to be as much as my bill with my back feeding. Similar to my last place with water. Often the supply charges were more than the water we used. They would save save water and Id say Fk off. the more I used the proportionally cheaper it became. I noticed they never charged me less for supplying and taking away less. What a surprise.

I'd say all things considered you got a fantastic deal and certainly you are miles ahead of a lot of other people.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Your peak rate is 23 c KWH??
    No, see prices above your post. You missed the "off"

In Victoria, our power setup is different to other states. There are 4 distributor companies. You cant choose one, they are allocated. My area falls under United Energy.

You then pick a retailer such as Momentum, they buy from United Energy. Due to this system, prices vary wildly.

All retailers change their rates on Jan 1, so this time of year you get an email weeks before that date...usually with a price increase like mine. On the 1st July each year, all Solar feed in tariffs are announced by the state government regulator, so again you have to check what you are getting paid. Its almost a full time job, but if you don't do it, you get screwed. Recently I looked in to my neighbors bills for them as they could barely afford them....they were on 54 cents per kw/h. Signed up a couple of years ago on a good deal, and haven't looked at it since. I had to sit down and educate them on how it all works.

If you have Solar in Victoria, you are on TOU (Time Of Use) tariffs (mostly....some enforce it some dont, most now do). This involves 3 different rates based on time of day.

Peak - 3pm - 11pm working weekdays
    Shoulder - 7am - 3pm working weekdays
    Off Peak - All other times and all weekends

My peak rate has gone from 0.31702 to 0.34430. That didnt worry me too much.

My Off peak rate has gone from 0.13376 to 0.22946 , thats a HUGE increase in one go, particularly as 60% of my power use is during the off peak period. My main annoyance with this huge increase is the massive savings I was getting using my split system to heat all weekend only paying 0.13376 per kw/h ....... way cheaper than the very expensive gas prices we now have in Victoria as the Andrew's Government has banned both on and off shore gas exploration. This decision has of course forced gas prices up.

My new company who signed up with to today, Amaysim (yep, a phone company), have even higher rates, but are paying a Solar FIT of 20 cents per kw/h. Due to our smart metering, you can really see what you use. For example, I have an account with the distributor, United Energy, that updates hourly so I can see exactly what I use and when and also see how much I am making with Solar. It also allows you to compare up to 3 different retailers tarrifs using your data for the year.

As an example, using the month of November, Momentum Energy's new tarrifs would have cost me an extra $26 for the month. Interestingly, if I was with Amaysin in November, my bill would have been $20 less (not that I had a bill anyway, it would have been an extra $20 credit.)

Hope that makes sense, all the states are very different with how they run things. I am happy with a Smart Meter as the amount of data makes things a lot easier. The Victorian Government owned comparison website even allows you to enter your smart meter serial number and gives you the best deals based on your actual use and solar generation, reading directly from your meter.

Thanks

Well I don't have to eat my words then! :0)
    Thought it was too good to be true, and it was!

The power co's work the same in NSW. It's a ruse so everyone can point the finger at someone else and deflect the blame for the arse raping round and round in Circles.

I still think it's worthwhile loading up on solar though. The more credits you can rack up the less your bill becomes.

I'm making the most of my analouge meter. I'll never have it better than I have right now where I can use the grid as a battery and pay them about $250 a quarter which is what it works out at roughly. I'm not too fussed about the prices, it's the total bill I look at and as I have the capacity to generate far more than I use, I'll pay the cheaper amount being a bill than go it alone whichever that's the cheapest option.

The thing that I am concerned about is reliable supply and I have a LOT of concerns about that over the coming years while we get screwed over by this green religion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

I got in very early with solar.. I'm on 72cent solar feedback atm and I'm thinking a move to Amaysim as they will offer 80cent solar feed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    I got in very early with solar.. I'm on 72cent solar feedback atm and I'm thinking a move to Amaysim as they will offer 80cent solar feed
    I thought all those old rates were finished?
    Had a mate that was on .60C kwh but that ended a couple of years back as I thought they all did.
    What state are you in?
    Also wasn't aware ANYONE offered anything near .80C kwh. I take it you have something like a 1.5- 2 Kw system? Could you link to the amaysim offer?

I changed my mobile phone to them about 6 Months ago on the advise of a mate and have been entirely happy with them. $10 plan as I don't use the thing much and they just upped the data to 2 gb. Never got near going through the 1 Gb it was before.

Thanks

I'm in Vic. Nope, they haven't finished just yet. .60C + .12C is what I rec'v at the moment.

I don't have a Link as they called me by phone and offered me .20c on top of the .60c,

I also have been using them on a mobile plan like you ($10 unlimited calls & txt with 2 gig) so they had my details on their database.

I think it last 15 years.. not too sure.. I've had it running around 10 years. It's only a 3KW system.. still good enough. especially when the government paid half for the system.

The Kids have left home and it's all profit nowadays. Plus, the cash I get back from them pays the gas bill.. lol

Administrator
    Thanks

I can confirm Amaysim are offering 80 cents, as its what they are offering on the plan I just moved to. 20 cents SFIT , 80 cents PFIT.

This is the sheet for United Energy area, you would have to check different areas and states

Thanks

There are 2 things in that contract which I have heard about and make me wary.

No contract term and prices are not fixed.
    How long are you going to get what price for? 80c till next week after they have you signed up or....?

What has happened is that some retailers have Bumped the prices sky High after 2-3 months of the person signing up. They have said they have notified the people but I have read of dozens of people that said they never were. some people were only notified when they logged onto their account. Bet a lot of people don't exactly do that every day.

The retailers change the rules of the game and especially for people whom have smart arse meters and automatic payment, it can be some time before they pick up on the fact their bills have sky rocketed.
    These two things would make me wary and I'd definitely be wanting to know the term of the contract and the prices and have it in writing. This has been a well publicised con on the part of the retailers and not exactly new either.

Thanks

I fully agree with you George, they will UP their prices a few months after signup.
    They all seem to do that anyway. It doesn't matter what the contract says.

The utilities companies here have been ripping us off from day one. They know we need them so we keep paying the ridiculous amounts they charge..

I change Suppliers/Companies every couple of years with everything, house Insurance, Car Insurance, Banks, Mobile, Utilities etc etc…

Stuff been loyal to any of them.
    Last edited by Johnno; 12-12-19 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks

Are any of them any better than the next ?, all rip off bastards as far as i'm concerned. I don't have solar as i have too many trees around the house but getting real tired of bending over for these ####ers.

Thanks

I saw last week where they had a blackout in Alice springs for about 8 hours. The report on the incident blames a cloud that came over dropping the output from their solar farms.
    Yeah Fking right! It's the first cloud ever to appear in the NT and took them by surprise obviously.

Clearly their unreliables Fked up again but they didn't want to admit that so they blamed... A Cloud.
    Put gubbermints and Big Biz power companies in collusion and this is the sort of insulting shit you get.

Tired of hearing how all this RE is so much cheaper. If that's the case, why is it SA that has more unreliable power than anyone else, Literally, also has the most expensive in the world?
    It's the same everywhere they put in more solar and wind. Nothing but a money making rort. They still don't have near a practical and workable answer as to how they are going to keep the lights on at night with their 100% Unreliable targets. Batteries and pumped Hydro is complete and utter bullshit but they keep flying headlong down that road because there is a buck in it for the current CEO's and investors and when it all comes to a deadly silent halt, will be someone else's problem to sort out the debacle then.

The smart countries like China,, Japan and even India (!!) are building clean coal plants as fast as they can. In not too many years time the rest of the world that caters to this green bullshit will be asking how did we get so left behind and why are there no jobs or industry left here?

I have more solar than most sane people BUT, there is a big difference between offsetting your household bills with it and supplying a whole national grid from that and wind.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Softek2 (14-12-19)