Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more Commodores after this year

Thanks

Default No more Commodores after this year

Holden Commodore and Astra to be retired by the end of 2020 as sales fall and buyers move to high-riding models.

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

The new Commodore is just ugly......
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Holden to retire Commodore

The Commodore will continue in Supercars until the end of 2021 amid the bombshell announcement the brand will retire the iconic nameplate.

In a move which has shocked the automotive industry, both the ZB Commodore and BK Astra will be withdrawn from the market next year as Holden looks to narrow its portfolio exclusively on SUVs and light commercial vehicles.

The Commodore model, which has been present since 1978, will continue to be sold until the existing stocks are depleted.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I can't understand people wanting high riding models. We bought a Mazda3 sedan a few years ago because it had so much more room than SUV's in the boot plus they are so much cheaper!!
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

gulliver (11-12-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks

I posted about this in Automotive. Given the subject, I'll merge our threads in to Automotive.

Threads merged.....thats why it looks a bit strange.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

exited (11-12-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I can't understand people wanting high riding models. We bought a Mazda3 sedan a few years ago because it had so much more room than SUV's in the boot plus they are so much cheaper!!
    The ZB Commodore reviews have all been very good. I think its as simple as the majority want SUV's and not sedans.

For those that are savvy, the ZB should depreciate badly and you could pick up a good car at a good price. Its near tempting........

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    The ZB Commodore reviews have all been very good. I think its as simple as the majority want SUV's and not sedans.

For those that are savvy, the ZB should depreciate badly and you could pick up a good car at a good price. Its near tempting........
    we were talking about the ZB depreciating over 3yrs and it's terrible. I've not driven one but apparently they are very nice to drive!
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Once they stopped making them here, they ceased to be Commodores in my mind. No V8 offering didn't help them remain commodores either. The last V8's in the LS's are world renowned engines that gave fantastic power with good fuel economy and great reliability.

I think the End of a Great Aussie brand in Holden has already started some time back. Sales are woeful and their line up is just a bunch of Cheap plastic crap that cannot compete with Japanese or even Korean offerings. Been a fan of Holden since I was a kid running round on Saturday mornings in the Dealership my father ran and seeing every new model they released back as far as the 350 HK's. Now, they are just low end rubbish that bears nothing to the Iconic company they were in this country.

Won't be at all surprised when I hear they are Shutting up shop and will be no more.
    They are headed down that final road at well above the speed limit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (13-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Commodore's ceased to exist after the VK.

Then it was the Lebo Taxi...
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

loanrangiel (12-12-19),shred (12-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Classic NOT Plastic. Commodore ceased after the VH.. LOL. Sorry, I'm a Chrome Bumper fan and have a SL/E V8 stored away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Commodore's ceased to exist after the VK.
    I had a 5L Vk berlina wagon. Loved that thing. Had a lot of overheating issues even with a big factory Radiator but I made my own Cold air intake modifying the air cleaner and ducting it to the plenum under the windscreen. That made a BIG difference to the temp as did a Flexible air dam ( conveyor Belt) under the front spoiler to push the air up and through the radiator at lower speed. When Moving faster it pushed back under the front more and it didn't break on speed bumps and gutters.
    Also took the clutch fan off it and put on a couple of electrics from some jap car at the wreckers. They were much better as well. Done that mod to about every car since that didn't have electric fans.

Blew the head gaskets on the thing so I had the heads done, a cam put in it, big exhaust and the carb re worked. Wasn't a lot but sure made a difference.
    Hauled arse in it's day but would be easily be outrun by a lot of stock factory cars now.

I lived with my grandmother and she was always going off at me for going too fast even when I was doing the limit. For some reason in that car she NEVER complained.
    I remember coming back from the central coast one time late at night touching 160 in places. sat on 140 pretty much all the way down the expressway. When we got home I said were you happy with the trip home? Not too fast for you?
    She said No, that was nice, I wish you drove steady like that all the time.
    Had an Aunt in the back that could see the speedo and was shitting herself. Complained to my grandmother later at how fast we were going and said she would never go with me again. ( wish she had kept that promise!)
    My grandmother couldn't understand what the hell she was going on about.

Next car was a V6 VN Calais. She was ok in that one but not as comfortable as in the VK. That VN had instant torque and would light the tyres from a standing start in Drive any time you wanted it to.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

i have owned a VE2 V8 SS. Superb car. Well built and an incredible engine.

I currently have one of the last Aussie built VF SSV's. The LS3 engine is a bit thirsty after the LS2, and initially had some problems but they sorted those out. Amazing fun on the open highway, as most modern cars are.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (11-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The name Commodore comes from Opel/Germany.
    Opel had an Admiral,a small one Kadet and Kommodore.
    All names from the Marine.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

admin (11-12-19)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    we were talking about the ZB depreciating over 3yrs and it's terrible. I've not driven one but apparently they are very nice to drive!
    Every review I have read suggests the same. I may look at one in the near future when I move as we will be doing a lot of highway/freeway kms.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (11-12-19)

Thanks

Yep, the name Commodore came from Opel Germany and all the early models VB, VC, VH bodies (Sedan & Wagons) were imported from Germany.

Only the Running gear was Aussie made.. the body was made in Germany.

I remember the very first wagon bodies sent here. The roofs caved in as it was not strong enough to handle the load we Aussies like to stack on the roof racks. lol

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

gulliver (13-12-19)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Yep, the name Commodore came from Opel Germany and all the early models VB, VC, VH bodies (Sedan & Wagons) were imported from Germany.

Only the Running gear was Aussie made.. the body was made in Germany.

I remember the very first wagon bodies sent here. The roofs caved in as it was not strong enough to handle the load we Aussies like to stack on the roof racks. lol
    Paint was crap on many of them too. The VC I had started peeling off after only a few years.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

gulliver (13-12-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Yep, the name Commodore came from Opel Germany and all the early models VB, VC, VH bodies (Sedan & Wagons) were imported from Germany
    I remember the first time I went to England. I was surprised to see VH Commodores... I mean Vauxhall Cavaliers all over the place. They got a two door version too. So much for an Australian car.

Thanks

@enf .. Yep, that old acrylic paint and the clear they used always peeled.

@shred .. your spot on mate, the English had the Vauxhall which was an Opel that looked like the VH. Lol. I have seen the 2 door commodore at a car show in Vic. Some enthusiast shipped it from the UK.
    Last edited by Johnno; 12-12-19 at 10:39 PM.

Thanks

Did the Vauxhauls have that Complete and utter POS 4 cyl Opel motor in them? What a complete dog of a thing that was! It even looked ugly!
    I converted a few Torana's that had those things in them. I bought one and drove it round for about a month till I got a diff for the conversion. After I converted the thing to a 3.3 it literally used about half the fuel. Not to mention being about 10X better to drive. I drove another one to my Dads place and it used one and a half tanks of fuel. The 308 hatchback I cash swapped him for of the same model ( LX) came back on 3/4 tank of fuel and the trip was a whopping 30 Min faster. The Opel was flay out at freeway speed and nearly slid back down the hills backwards.

Did few Starfires in UC's and they weren't a lot better. I was convinced 30% of the fuel energy went to making Noise. My last Torana was an SL/E UC. Did a few small things to the Red motor and it sure woke it up. Was going to do a V8 conversion but never bothered. Got offered a real good price for it ( was a nice rust free car) from a guy I knew whom Turboed it and used to drag race the thing. Sold another 4 Cyl Hatchback without converting it ( Over them by then) and bought the VK Berlina.
    I'd sure like a Hatchback now.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast