Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more Commodores after this year

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Did the Vauxhauls have that Complete and utter POS 4 cyl Opel motor in them?
    Not sure which awful GM 4 cyl you mean? :-) It was the GM "Family II" engine in a range of capacities up to 2L, but I think 1.8L was the most common variant used. They were also front wheel drive.

I think the most awful car I ever drove was a female friend's VC Commodore with the 4 cylinder / 1.9L Starfire engine and an automatic gearbox. "Wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding" is the phrase the springs to mind!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Not sure which awful GM 4 cyl you mean? :-) It was the GM "Family II" engine in a range of capacities up to 2L, but I think 1.8L was the most common variant used. They were also front wheel drive.
    no it wasnt the Family 1/2 ( J ) series engines , it was a bit earlier than that . Toranas had an imported Opel 2 litre engine which was notorious for blowing head gaskets and piston ovality. Even when new parts were damn expensive and hard to get. 100% of owners dropped in a red six as soon as the Opel died in the first 2 years.

look , its no great loss that Holden is gone. they stopped being an aussie company and i stopped supporting them the very moment they got into bed with Opel . Every piece of rubbish which was associated with anything Opel and found its way on Aussie roads was a disaster of a car , and Holden didnt give a toss - major design flaws , expensive parts , poor warranty and service coverage , major failures and Holden carried on bloating about how aussie and how good they were. dickheads. And then they bought Daewoo and moved most of their product sourcing to Korea.

i hope VW and FCA follow them into the garbage can of motoring history

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Before the starfire which was a cut down Red motor, there was an Opel made 4 Cyl. A black engine which it's colour indicated everything about it. More gutless and thirsty than the starfire and the only thing it was good for was holding freighter ships at anchor. Only needed 1 because the were so heavy. Leaked oil like sieves and just a horrible thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Don't get me started on the Greatest Muscle Car we ever Built. lol "The Torana"

The name comes from an Aboriginal word meaning "To Fly". I've owned a few over the years and still do today.

The HB Torana was a British Vauxhall Viva HB series of 1966 - 1970 with a pissy little 4cyl engine that was useless.

I think the Holden Commodore VB VC had that crappy UC 4 Cyl in them too - Not to sure..

VB Commodore had the Red Motors, VC_VH Blue Motors & VK had a Black in that range. VL came with the New electronic fuel injection v6. & 4.9L V8.

Thanks

No more Holdens outright.

Money first every time

• The Following User Says Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

enf (18-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    VL came with the New electronic fuel injection v6. & 4.9L V8.
    Umm, no... VL came with the Nissan RB30 i6 ; VN came with the rebadged buick v6

However, this most recent news today has been a long time coming, so not really unsurprising ...and I very much doubt the troubles are over for GM yet...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Thanks for the correction Wotnot.. Yep, that old RB30 engine. If you own one, hang on to it.. worth a nice quid now-a-days especially the wilkinshaw

1988 Wilkinshaw sold for $340K

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

No big deal, life goes on.

Ford, Toyota and Holden were happy here while the Govt gave them grants / handouts to stay here, once that ran out they simply turned to the next country with benefits that worked their way.

Now the new money maker is in global models, pick a plant in a third world country and you produce that vehicle for the whole world, sourcing parts will be cheaper due to the larger quantities placed on order, more and more savings, then ship the vehicles around the globe.

Get with the trends guys, whoever thought ANY manufacturer was thinking about "job creation" was dreaming, its all about the bottom line.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

enf (18-02-20),LeroyPatrol (17-02-20),shred (17-02-20)

Thanks

what will happen to the super cars now that there are no holdens

bathurst will never be the same

• The Following User Says Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

exited (18-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    No more Holdens outright.
    Who didn't see that coming?
    You only have to look at their sales figures to see that was inevitable. I wouldn't be sleeping too well if I worked for Ford either.

Been a Holden fan forever but the offerings these days are complete and utter Cheap arse imported garbage. They are all imported now in any brand but Holden's are just crap and behind the quality and appeal of even the Korean brands these days.

They blame the economy and the market and the price of Haddock in Gdansk for them going under but the real and only reason they have gone tits up is piss poor management and failure to read the local market. I imagine a big helping of bean counters hasn't helped...... although seems they haven't done their job too well either given the ship has sunk.

If other brands can not only exist here but do well and grow, then it's not the market or the economy or any other BS Bullshit. It's the fact monkeys are grinding the
    organ.

Very sad to see them go but I think the show was over some time back and this is just the lights of realisation coming on.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Won't be at all surprised when I hear they are Shutting up shop and will be no more.
    They are headed down that final road at well above the speed limit.
    george65, 10wks ago your crystal ball must have had some truth in it after today's announcement of Holdens closure.

P.S. I need to borrow it to get 2mths worth of lotto numbers for coming up draws.

Other car manufacturers closed manufacturing doors in Australia, setup shop overseas and now importing into OZ just like every other brand.
    Holden shut manufacturing doors, and now ceasing the name and business.

What's going to happen to Holden dealerships?
    Will some/all Holden dealerships transfer to a GM dealership to provide ongoing warranty and free servicing?
    Wonder how cheap they will go to push current stock out the door if mid-year is their deadline?

Yes, it's another sad day.
    Last edited by Xplorer; 17-02-20 at 06:32 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Any business that received $2 Billion from the Gov to stay afloat...
    Owes us all a lot of money!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (18-02-20),shred (17-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    Who cares?
    Supercars is an insult to a persons intelligence and has been for some time. All the cars running the same floorpan, tyres and running gear bar the engines. The bodies aren't even the car they are supposed to be, they are narrowed or widened or changed in length to suit the control floor pan. Thats not racing, that's taking the piss.
    They are like the AFX cars you had as a kid where you just clipped the bodywork onto a different base that made them go and that was whatever car you wanted it to be.

Wasn't the purpose of racing to improve the breed and technology? All it's improving now is the promoters bank balance.

It was always about advertising but it's just ridiculous now. Any car wins 2 races in a row and the next thing they are loading them up with more weight, shaving the aero or whatever so they don't win again and the other guy gets a turn on the podium no matter how far behind the edge that car is. Not about the best car winning its about stacking the field so the shit ones look good as well.

Not been the same for a long time in my book. Used to go up there when the cars were from the manufacturer with their name on the thing, Not the same cars with a different shape ( sorta) and paint job. If it's supposed to be all about the drivers, may as well just go stick them all in Hyundai Excel's and let them draw the number of what car they get. Probably be more exciting to watch and people would know what they were watching.

Used to be Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. Now it's Win on Sunday and go buy any other POS that was running round yesterday because they are 90% the same.

Supercars is going the same way as Holdens in my book only being a motor sport event, they will get there faster.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

ammlione (17-02-20),lsemmens (17-02-20),wotnot (18-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
    george65, 10wks ago your crystal ball must have had some truth in it after today's announcement of Holdens closure.

P.S. I need to borrow it to get 2mths worth of lotto numbers for coming up draws.

Other car manufacturers closed manufacturing doors in Australia, setup shop overseas and now importing into OZ just like every other brand.
    Holden shut manufacturing doors, and now ceasing the name and business.

What's going to happen to Holden dealerships?
    Will some/all Holden dealerships transfer to a GM dealership to provide ongoing warranty and free servicing?
    Wonder how cheap they will go to push current stock out the door if mid-year is their deadline?

Yes, it's another sad day.
    yes there has been a lot of free servicing deals of late!!! Interesting to see what happens.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Time was when The first weekend in October We did not move more than pissing distance from the TV. Then they went Group A, and from there it was a long slow slide to oblivion.Bathurst is just another race now. Yeah! The track is still good, but, the cars. Ho Hum!!!

I agree with your suggestion about the drivers, george, it would make for an interesting race. Everyone in exactly the same vehicle and every vehicle identical in every way except for the driver.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Time was when The first weekend in October We did not move more than pissing distance from the TV.
    Can relate to that!
    The sat morning before it would be up the shops to stock up on Snacks and drinks and the only thing the women would interrupt you for was to hand you your lunch... which If course you ate in the chair you had been sitting all morning and would be all afternoon. No one came to visit that day unless they had already arrived for the start of the race to watch it with you and the phone never rang.... mainly because you took the thing off the hook just in case some moron did call. Soon as the race was over you'd be on the phone to your opposite camp supporter mates Razzing them for how your favourite won and their lost or copping a razzing from them for the same reason. It actually meant something then in a good humoured way.

To many, First sunday in October was a Holier and more sacred day than Christmas or Easter.

I agree with your suggestion about the drivers, george, it would make for an interesting race. Everyone in exactly the same vehicle and every vehicle identical in every way except for the driver.
    Been done loads of times before. Had ( might still do) a celebrity race at Bathurst where they all ran the same shitboxes to see who was the better driver. I believe there are series like that in Europe as well.

I remember when Group A came... and soon went. Different people blaming the fans for being Bogans and just wanting to watch Holden and Ford V8's was the accusation and excuse for their failure.
    No, the fans wanted to see cars they could actually buy in this country, not a load of imported things they couldn't get or were so Fking pricey even your most well off loaded mate couldn't afford one.

Ultimately the arse clowns behind the the Group A failure made the cardinal sin in marketing of Giving the fans what they thought they wanted or wanted them to have rather than asking them what they liked and then delivering it.

The other mistake was their fundamental premise or excuse for failure. Wasn't just about V8's at all. People loved to see the Minis doing battle with the Falcons and monaros and Peter Jansen running round in his Toyota amid the pack. They loved seeing the GTHO Or Torana cleaning the little cars up along the straights only to have the same car round them up in the bends. It was about racing as well as advertising but the racing WAS the advertisment.

Taking away the multi classes in the race was a big mistake in itself. Even if the majority of the fans were red or Blue ( they were the cars of our country at the time) everyone likes seeing the David and Goliath battles that went on and seeing the underdogs giving the big fellas a run for their money.
    Was a pretty understood thing who had a chance of winning but it wasn't just about that, it was about the entertainment and excitement that is so god damn lacking in the worlds longest advertorial that they have now.

Sure wasn't as fast paced, in the early Days someone would come in for a pit stop, get out and Light up a fag or Brocky would go get a nice cup of tea while the mechanics worked on the car before heading out again 5 minutes later. Not saying 10 second pit stops aren't as good but it sure as shit the event doesen't have the appeal it did even back in the '80s.

Supercars talk up a predictable marketing spin of how wonderful and exciting their roadshow is but the facts show they are loosing fans in Droves no matter how much they try and deny or gloss it over.

Supercars has jack shit to do with motor racing now but they have heaps in common with the scripted and fake show of wrestling.
    Some people believe wrestling is real. Not to many think that with supercars these days.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

humax300 (18-02-20),VroomVroom (18-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

speaking about Holden discounting - surf life saving QLD has just signed up a bargain buy of 550 Colorado wagons. but only cos they were unsold stock and nobody else wanted them....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    speaking about Holden discounting - surf life saving QLD has just signed up a bargain buy of 550 Colorado wagons. but only cos they were unsold stock and nobody else wanted them....
    Did each one Come with a 200L drum of engine oil in the back?

I have read and heard several Times the oil consumption is a Tad high.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post

I reckon they should move the 12 hour Bathurst race to the first weekend in October

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast