Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more Commodores after this year

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Did the Vauxhauls have that Complete and utter POS 4 cyl Opel motor in them?
    Not sure which awful GM 4 cyl you mean? :-) It was the GM "Family II" engine in a range of capacities up to 2L, but I think 1.8L was the most common variant used. They were also front wheel drive.

I think the most awful car I ever drove was a female friend's VC Commodore with the 4 cylinder / 1.9L Starfire engine and an automatic gearbox. "Wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding" is the phrase the springs to mind!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Not sure which awful GM 4 cyl you mean? :-) It was the GM "Family II" engine in a range of capacities up to 2L, but I think 1.8L was the most common variant used. They were also front wheel drive.
    no it wasnt the Family 1/2 ( J ) series engines , it was a bit earlier than that . Toranas had an imported Opel 2 litre engine which was notorious for blowing head gaskets and piston ovality. Even when new parts were damn expensive and hard to get. 100% of owners dropped in a red six as soon as the Opel died in the first 2 years.

look , its no great loss that Holden is gone. they stopped being an aussie company and i stopped supporting them the very moment they got into bed with Opel . Every piece of rubbish which was associated with anything Opel and found its way on Aussie roads was a disaster of a car , and Holden didnt give a toss - major design flaws , expensive parts , poor warranty and service coverage , major failures and Holden carried on bloating about how aussie and how good they were. dickheads. And then they bought Daewoo and moved most of their product sourcing to Korea.

i hope VW and FCA follow them into the garbage can of motoring history

Thanks
    Thanked 1,038 Times in 479 Posts

Before the starfire which was a cut down Red motor, there was an Opel made 4 Cyl. A black engine which it's colour indicated everything about it. More gutless and thirsty than the starfire and the only thing it was good for was holding freighter ships at anchor. Only needed 1 because the were so heavy. Leaked oil like sieves and just a horrible thing.

Thanks

Don't get me started on the Greatest Muscle Car we ever Built. lol "The Torana"

The name comes from an Aboriginal word meaning "To Fly". I've owned a few over the years and still do today.

The HB Torana was a British Vauxhall Viva HB series of 1966 - 1970 with a pissy little 4cyl engine that was useless.

I think the Holden Commodore VB VC had that crappy UC 4 Cyl in them too - Not to sure..

VB Commodore had the Red Motors, VC_VH Blue Motors & VK had a Black in that range. VL came with the New electronic fuel injection v6. & 4.9L V8.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12