Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more Commodores after this year

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

So True
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Jma (18-02-20),lsemmens (20-02-20),wotnot (18-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Holden will continue to support customers in the following ways:

Honour all existing warranties and guarantees
    Honour all free scheduled servicing offers
    Ongoing call centre support
    Provide servicing and spare parts for at least 10 years, through national aftersales networks in Australia and New Zealand
    Recalls or safety-related issues if they arise
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

If they are closing the stealer ships by the end of the year and GM is pulling out of Oz, who is going to do the servicing and warranty work and where will you get the spares from?

The Hyundai dealer?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Nah.... no one in their right mind will buy remaining stock ~ they'll disassemble them and part them out =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

When the owners of these Holdens were so proud of their vehicles heritage they were swapping out the Holden badge for a Chevrolet badge.... you have to wonder.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

dashinson (18-02-20),Godzilla (20-02-20),shred (19-02-20),wotnot (18-02-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I don't see what the problem is. This was always going to happen once assembly was withdrawn.

I have a 2 year old VF SSV Redline and I'm not the slightest bit concerned. Well, maybe a little as it needs repair after the Canberra hail storm.

Still, I see no real issue as the parts needed (boot, bonnet) are available, and I expect it to have it's problems addressed.

Panic and doom are endemic regarding a variety of issues in modern society.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Speaking of which, even within those throngs of Holden fans it's like that against the cars built as well. For example, my housemate is a holden fiend (currently doing up the industrialized version of a 138 sideplate =), and among his crowd, 'true' holdens stopped at the VK - the last holden based on the carby holden6 block. Other's staunchly draw the line at the HQ as being the 'last real aussie holden car' (but typically extend that to the end of the Hseries + WB), and the Commodore ...even way back then when it was released... to many, spelled the beginning of the end for the Holden as an 'aussie' car, and the Commodore was the bastard child of Holden bending over for Opel ....and let's face it, their fears were right - the beginning of the end started with the Commodore, the same model the company ended up folding with. I'm not suggesting that was the -cause-, but the optics certainly fit. It's also true for myself personally ~ a HQ was the last Holden I ever owned as well ; in my mind it really was the last aussie car made by Holden, and isn't it so enjoyable to see them still racing these old tintops...and actually end up watching real racing!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I don't see what the problem is. This was always going to happen once assembly was withdrawn.

I have a 2 year old VF SSV Redline and I'm not the slightest bit concerned. Well, maybe a little as it needs repair after the Canberra hail storm.

Still, I see no real issue as the parts needed (boot, bonnet) are available, and I expect it to have it's problems addressed.

Well, if you're after spare parts for your cars, there may be a few good deals at this weekends Pickles auctions of storm damage vehicles.

Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

enf (18-02-20)

Thanks

As I recall, The commodore was brought in as a smaller, more fuel efficent car when fuel prices skyrocketed.
    It was criticised for being too small and Ford had the XD which was a traditional size but I am pretty sure the commodore outsold it. The commodore was also the flag ship that took Holden to it's peak.

Yes, it was based on a German car but had a hell of a lot of Australian engineering in it from the red motors and their derivatives at the start to being a world class standard car for quite some time no matter what the brand knockers want to believe. No, It didn't have all the features of euro cars but it wasn't the same price either and there was a reason you saw Holden's and Fords in country towns and not a lot of BMW's Mercs or anything else. It was because the Aussie cars were designed and tested to meet our conditions.

If one wants to get Pedantic, HQ-Z were nothing more than Chevrolet's with an aussie spin. A Holden fanatic mate can tell you all about what Holden bits from the Mid 70's back fit what GM cars in the states. Also loves to amaze people telling them how the HR I think it was 3/4 of an inch longer on one side than the other and the confusion that used to cause panel beaters trying to get things right.

I have seen a lot of stories in the media over the last couple of days blaming everything from unions to a declining world auto industry to the price of Kippers in Scotland as being the cause of the downfall. Don't believe any of it.

The sole and simple reason I put it down to was evident 20 years back, Piss poor company management.

They failed to give the market what it wanted and instead built what they wanted to build. Not to say they were bad cars, just the market had changed and they weren't addressing it where other makers were. When Hyundai and Kia came here they were seen as shitboxes that people who knew nothing about cars bought because they were cheap. And the early examples were pretty crap . They however managed to improve and address what the market wanted at the same time Holden was going backwards. Holden made a lot of Mistakes, No commercials for years was one that cost them a lot to Ford.

A lot of things can be pointed at, but at the end of the day( and well before it) They just weren't producing cars Australians wanted to own and were prepared to buy. One has to work backwards from there not forwards from manufacturing costs etc because all that is irrelevant if people like other cars more than they like the Holdens.

Before we were a nation of Aussie cars we were a Nation of Pommie cars. Now we are a Nation of Japanese and Korean cars.
    Not that much has really changed only that we Fked up our chance.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I think its the fact that Holden is leaving, gone, dead.... GM just pulling the rug on generations of loyal customers

Where as Ford when it stopped local manufacturer had a decent plan in place
    The Ford Mustang, The Ford Ranger, The Ford Everest... If anything it was a good day for Ford, plenty of righhand drive options.

Why wasn't the SS Camaro better promoted by GM in Australia?
    Christ, you cant even go for a drive without seeing a dozen Ford Mustangs now days, they are commonplace.
    The Camaro should have been released the minute the Mustang was, starting the tradition Ford / Holden competition again
    Both on the race track together in V8 Supercars and both for sale in Dealerships come Monday.

Something went very wrong in GM/Holden marketing when they let the Ford Mustang bolt away in this country

The "Ute" has been replaced by the Dual Cab a long time ago
    What happened to the Colorado ???

From the outside looking in, looks like GM just gave up on the Australian market

The Dual Cab, 4WD/SUV market is huge.... Where were they?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-02-20 at 07:02 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (19-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm more interested in the great sell off

The Holden Dealership Network is the second largest in Australia, 185 Holden dealerships
    They have everything from tiny dealerships in towns like Timboon and Terang (populations of 1000 people) to mega dealerships in Metro locations

Is this just opening the door for Hyundai, Kia, or the rise in Chinese Car Manufacturers and their likes to spread thier wings with discount premises?
    Will Tesla make a play and change thier current sales methods?

It's like the demise of the Golden Fleece service station, they used to be everywhere, dotting the country with that ever familiar company logo

Amazing that no one is buying it up, or is this all part of a larger plan?

This has probably been known for a few years, or at least well predicted by other vehicle manufacturers, as i've seen Holden Dealerships been gifted millions of dollars by the likes of Mercedes to build Huge multiple vehicle make dealerships in new locations.... Probably was Mercedes end game, to just grab the dealership and that market as Holden folded in time.
    That way, they have another option to offer those local customers, when the Holden product was either undesirable or no longer available
    It also allows a location for the 10 year Holden service agreement.

Anyway, massive discounts on New Holden vehicles are set to be announced, to clear the stock
    One thing is for sure, the "signage" business is about to be very busy!!!

Another interesting thing i used to notice with both Ford and Holden
    Was the small regional dealerships beating the Metro ones on price everytime
    And even to the point, where a very small regional dealership would beat the price of the larger regional dealership

This was observed by many people in my area when shopping for a new Ford or Holden.
    Colac Ford was always cheaper than Ford in Geelong... And Terang Holden was cheaper than Warrnambool Holden

Here is a very interesting stat that seems to say it all:

Holden represented just four out of every 100 new cars sold last year.
    At its most recent peak, in 2002, Holden represented one in every five new cars sold.
    Its all-time high was in 1958, when one-in-two new cars sold was a Holden.

You could imagine the boardroom sales chart based on the above, they'd have to excavate a hole in the ground to continue the red marker pen
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-02-20 at 10:22 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

There are many John Cadogan Videos on Holden over the passed few months
    All worth a watch, as it's played out exactly as he suggested

But i find this one, from over 2 years ago spells out the Industry as a whole and the amazing sums of money we paid for such mis-management and BS lies.

Other Holden related video:

Dec 10th 2019.
    Dec 21st, 2019.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-02-20 at 12:13 PM.

wotnot (19-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

All of John's YT vids are worth watching, one of the few motoring commentators out there with a clue ...and extremely entertaining as well =)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Hehehe... I'm waiting for the 'Blame Collingwood' memes to start appearing.. Holden have sponsored Collingwood for the last 7 years and a NRL club.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (19-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Holden now guarantees the future value of your new Holden purchase

Peace of Mind

Thanks

Only one problem with the future proofed Idea, No one wants the damn things in the first place!

Premium Member
    Thanks

And hence.... Their future is guaranteed !

Holden to discount new cars by up to $17,500.

To bad if you just bought one
    Last edited by ol' boy; 19-02-20 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Holden will be supplying genuine parts as usual for the next 10 years.

In the mean time China has the rest covered, from panels to brakes which are already on the market.

Nothing to worry about at all.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

enf (20-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

As predicted....

Was likely a done deal well before the public announcement
    Here is your bail out package GM.... Take it now or we completely sink you
    Last edited by ol' boy; 20-02-20 at 11:47 AM.

lsemmens (20-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hahaha....wtf.... "nobody saw it coming" ...

Are these people that far out of touch?...oh wait, v8supercars...guess they are...were...whatever

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast