Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: No more Commodores after this year

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Seems not only has Holden been on the way out but GM on the whole aren't inspiring long term Confidence either.

Wasn't that long ago everyone I knew had a Holden. Now everyone either HAD a Holden or still has one and 2 other makes. I have one Holden and 4 Subaru's. Wasn't that long ago I had never owned anything BUT a Holden.

I never intended to sell my Holden though and never will.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Hahaha....wtf.... "nobody saw it coming" ...

Are these people that far out of touch?...oh wait, v8supercars...guess they are...were...whatever
    FFS, hows Jess Yates holding back the fake tears.... give it a break
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

If GM were smart, they would have bought as many HT, HG and HK Monaros and GTS Monaros with the $2 Billion dollars the Australian Taxpayer gave them.

200% to 400% return on investment
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (20-02-20)

Thanks

Even very ordinary Toranas are getting good money now and restored ones are Pulling good Bucks as well.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

I never considered Commodores as Holden. I didn't like them when I saw them the first time in Germany, middle class boring car.
    Holden died after the Kingswood.
    My old 70's Kingswood station wagon took me places where a 4WD would be normally required and heaps of space to sleep comfortably, never needed a camp site.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

gulliver (21-02-20),hinekadon (21-02-20)

Thanks

Hooray !! The last Commodore I owned was a VL and the best thing about it was the silky smooth Nissan 6 engine and manual transmission. The rest of the car was rubbish. Rust around front of bonnet after about three weeks (this was a new car) and countless other issues not to mention the never ending rattles and creaks. The 'filling' in the door handles and steering wheel also down after 18 months leaving them with a squishy feeling. Overall it was the worst new car I had ever owned.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

First VL i ever drove was in 1986, it was a brand new hire car i needed to load up with friends for a trip from Melbourne to Adelaide for the GP weekend.

I remember driving at 100 and every time a truck went past in the opposite direction the bonnet would flex and wave from just the air pressure present.

I was shitting myself that the bonnet would fly open.

No wonder some of the quickest 6s these days at the drag strip are VL Commodores, apart from the Nissan 6 making good power, these things had no weight in them, Holden found ways with plastics and no metal reinforcing to save weight (read money)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

enf (09-06-20),SS Dave (09-06-20)

Thanks

Had a VL Calais Turbo. Was a fantastic car. Fast, Luxurious, elegant. Never had any any problems with it mechanically or Structurally.
    Was only in my mid '20s then and certainly it was the envy of all my mates. Thing used to whistle on boost thanks to some mods but it was a cool sort of sound all my mates used to mimic.

I lived with my grandmother then and she was always having a go at me for driving too fast. She never complained in that thing. Was so quiet and smooth it never seemed like it when you were going fast. Came down the F3 one night sitting on 140 all the way and I asked her if she was comfortable? She said yes, I like to just go along calm and steady like this not like we are in a race. Dunno how she failed to notice we were passing everything else on the road but any way.

She liked it because it was a lot quieter than The VK 5L Berlina wagon I had before although she never complained much about going fast in that one either unless I was really into in the suburbs. Very different cars though.

If any car made me feel it was a bit flimsy was the VN Calais I had afterwards. Looked like shit compared to the mega cool looking VL. The VL had the feeling it was really cutting edge and in front of it's time. Never forget the first time I saw one at the local Holden dealers. Was a gold VL turbo Calais. Mate and I thought it was something from the future or a Prototype design Concept. Couldn't believe it when we found you could but the things.
    Those cool recessed headlights and the grille on the VL looked mean and the little Bob tail on the boot was the finishing touch.

Mate was impressed with mine and Bought one himself about 18 Months later when they were more affordable. 2 years ago he bought the car back from the now elderly guy he sold it to with less than 40K Km more on it than when he sold it. He's also bought himself a Genuine VL group A. Took another mate and I for a run in them last year.
    We were all laughing at How slow they are now compared to what they were then when they were the ducks guts.

His GTS although modified for more power, leaves both of them behind like they were Morris Minors. Scared the shit out of us as well when he could break traction in the thing nailing it at 100kmh and the faster you go the harder it pulls.

People can put shit on them all the like but I doubt we will ever see cars like these or the Falcons with so much performance and features for the money ever again.
    Turbos are nice but they aren't anything like a V8 and even the Current Turbos aren't anything like the big falcon 6's or those Commodore turbos even from back then.

The average Joe is pretty much left with a lot of Buzz boxes to choose from now and even if they do have the performance, they will never have the all round versatility and comfort of the Commodores and falcons.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

The only VL that's worth anything is The 1988 VL Commodore Walkinshaw Group A SS. One sold for $340K in 2019 if I recall correctly.

I prefer Chrome Bumper cars (pre 80) but the VL's are a beautiful looking car and so were the VK Blue Meanies..

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234