Thread: Raspberry Pi 4 what can it do

Thanks

Default Raspberry Pi 4 what can it do

Well havent seen much posted about these things and
    wanted something new to play with so have grabbed
    one from ebay.

i have seen they run a stripped linux and alike but what id
    be interested in is what else can these things do.

I will try it with the 3d printer to see how it goes
    but what im interested in is peoples real dealings with these.

cheers

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Have you had look at the raspberry pi forums at raspberrypi dot org?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tristen View Post
    Have you had look at the raspberry pi forums at raspberrypi dot org?
    yep had a look around there plus youtube etc , but the only reason i posted
    here was to see if anyone here is using one and to get there real hands
    on experience with the units.

IE in an automation setup
    in a security setup
    running 3d machine
    media center
    list goes on

reading what people put on the web is one thing but getting advise from people
    who have real hands on experience that you can ask questions from is more
    helpful and makes a more enjoyable experience.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I'm using one with an SDR receiver dongle for aircraft tracking.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (16-12-19),shred (17-12-19),tristen (16-12-19),Uncle Fester (18-12-19)

Thanks

RetroPi Arcade machine :-)

• The Following User Says Thank You to vnboost For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (16-12-19)

Thanks

Got about 6 of them running libreELEC (Kodi)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irwazza For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (16-12-19),shred (16-12-19)

Thanks

thanks i was going to try kodi on it , as for retropi i have already got a really nice cocktail-pinball
    cab i built a while back.

Thanks

I have one running Kodi and one running Openhab home automation.
    Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.

Thanks

Openhab looks interesting cheers

Thanks

I have one running the Pi-Hole DNS. It stops some internet advertising and known sources of malware. It also runs the free Nut UPS monitoring software. You forget how noisy online advertising is until Pi-Hole is not running.

Another two run “OSMC” - an off the shelf Kodi media centre system. I just wish it could do Netflix well. One of those has the CumulusMX weather station software on it.

I also run Home Assistant, but in a VM on big computer. Some of the Raspberry Pis use the monitor.sh script to do “presence detection” for Home Assistant using a combination of our mobile phones plus some little bluetooth beacon devices. The beacons are those cheap lost key finders that you can buy online. If either of us leaves the place, the Raspberry Pis notice that a phone and a beacon have both stopped being heard / responding and mark us as “away”. On our return to the house, the RPis hear the bluetooth beacons and register us as “home”. Initially it was pretty unreliable, but the current setup is rock solid. Nobody leaves home without their mobile phone these days.

I’m sure there are other things they do that I’ve forgotten about. There’s a lot to be said for using the genuine Raspberry Pi 5 volt power supplies. I had some problems early on with bricked flash memory cards. At the time, I put this down to the cards wearing out. Since I started using the official power supplies which output 5.1v to better overcome cable resistance and the crusty USB mini plug, this problem seems to have gone away. Even so, once you have everything set up the way you want it, pop the memory card out and take an image of it so that you have a backup.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (17-12-19),LeroyPatrol (19-12-19),tristen (17-12-19),Uncle Fester (18-12-19)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Had one with whipped cream and a dash of Amaretto the other day, crunchy but not too bad.

I was using them for crypto mining around 7 years ago including running nodes to keep coins alive. One Pi was in the pump house for the pool
    because I had reserve power from solar panels there to power the miners. It talked to the master PI in my office where
    I could change parameters in comfort. Of course mining is not viable any more, sadly.

I am currently designing a model train sensing system that will involve a Pi but also for the PC. I am in contact with Hornby for this
    so I will refrain from further details.
    Basically you will see the location of all the trains with their ID on your screen but more importantly this will allow
    full automation, like in the real world and hopefully more reliable than Sydney's rail system !

My smallest desktop PC for general use and experiments, Pi plugged underneath:

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-12-19 at 12:17 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (18-12-19),LeroyPatrol (19-12-19),tristen (27-01-20)

Thanks

thanks for the input , they certainly have so many uses
    i had not even thought of so should keep me busy for a while.

will just grab a few extra sd cards to load different setups on and play

Premium Member
    Thanks

I got a 2G Pi 4 just a week ago having great expectations of employing it as a NAS server to replace the Pi 3 that's been doing that job for some time with no big problems. Encountered problems which are hopefully only due to the software not being fully sorted out as yet. Things like the USB3 ports can be as slow or even slower than the USB2 on the older Pis due to a driver problem which is unresolved so far in the latest release of Raspbian Buster. Network speed can suffer badly presumably due to interference between Bluetooth and Wifi on-board.

Initial setup was Raspbian Buster so I'm currently trying Ubuntu and things are looking a bit better. OMV5 is still in beta and bugs abound so I'll wait for the final release of that (tried setting it up several times with limited joy) but I'll have a go at installing it in Ubuntu (Bionic Beaver) over the next few days just to see if there's hope.

Biggest problem to be solved is the USB3 speeds which are bad on some external drives, not so bad on others and you only find out when trying to use one. Could be hardware, firmware or software causing it (eg implementation of ntfs-3G) but I got no change when using an EXT4 external drive even with the 'quirks' declaration of individual HDD ID's in the config file. EG a USB3 drive that transfers data consistently at over 100MB/sec on any other system only managing 10MB/sec or less on Pi4 is very disappointing.

Not pleased but not giving up just yet.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (24-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Update:
    OMV5 doesn't have a compatible version for Pi Ubuntu as yet but I was able to install Nextcloud and set up a Samba share on the external USB3 HDD which achieves respectable speeds at last from Windows & Linux machines. Which seems to indicate that the poor speed problem is related to the latest Raspbian release IMHO. There's a 'lite' version of Ubuntu available that would be suitable for a headless NAS setup (accessible via SSH for maintenance) while waiting for the raspbian/OMV Pi4 problems to be resolved.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Skepticist For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (26-12-19)

Thanks

Interesting re the USB 3 speed issue. I haven't tried pushing the USB ports hard on my Raspberry Pi 4, but after reading the post above, I found this article:

It looks like the Raspberry Pi people sheet home the blame squarely with makers of USB devices who have failed to properly implement a feature called "UAS". There's a way to disable the problematic feature for a given device.

It's disappointing the hear that the problem with interference between WiFi and Bluetooth is still present in the Raspberry Pi 4. Users of the monitor.sh script that I use for presence detection (see the post above) complain about this when they're using both the monitor.sh script (which uses Bluetooth intensively) and using WiFi at the same time. A couple of my Raspberry Pis have wired ethernet connections (and Power Over Ethernet), so they don't have this issue. One is running OSMC/Kodi as a media centre, it is connected via WiFi AND it runs the monitor.sh script. I have yet to encounter the problem with interference on it, yet the Kodi media centre uses the WiFi radio heavily when watching a movie. It probably helps that it's located close to a WiFi access point.

If you already have a Power Over Ethernet capable switch backed up with a UPS to run security cameras, it's worth looking at it for powering the RPi. There are some pretty sophisticated and expensive Power over Ethernet adaptors for the Pi, including the official ones for the Pi 3 and Pi 4. I have an older one from "ModMyPi". It works well but is bulky and cost more than the Pi itself. There's a cheap, generic "PoE splitter" that's all over eBay for around $15. It works very well and is not a dumb/passive splitter, but actually complies with the 802.3AF standard. Here's the one I'm using (connector is for the Raspberry Pi 2/3, not the Pi 4):

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (26-12-19),tristen (03-02-20)

Thanks

that looks interesting shred , thanks.

it has caught me by surprise and how much you can do with these things

Thanks

I have and bunch of RPis (not all 4s) 3 as media players running librelec - Kodi on TV's at home, one as a SDR unit, used a couple for cheap digital signage projects running yodeck, built a simple evac/alert system for a local school when their existing one kept crapping out (has been running for 2 years) , and my youngest son has one running a robot too.

Have one just sitting on my desk waiting for the next project, I typically buy the new one for my main TV media player and the others get shuffled down the pecking order

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beeblebrox For This Useful Post:

fandtm666 (27-01-20),shred (27-01-20),tristen (27-01-20)

Thanks

This one look interesting..

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by humax300 View Post
    This one look interesting..

That link returns:

We're sorry...

Unfortunately you have reached a page that does not exist. You could start at our
    Homepage or you may want to try one of the links below...

Thanks

try this then

and
    Last edited by humax300; 04-02-20 at 02:44 PM. Reason: extra info