Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I can't stand it anymore!

Thanks

great measurement accuracy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eeprommemory For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (28-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Sitting talking to my Friends 92 Yo old Mother today as we watched the Elvis Chopper still making water bombing runs in the Southern Highlands where Friends were evacuated from last weekend.

She brought up the climate change Protestors she has seen on TV. She said "oohh, they make me so mad. The reporters interview them and they are act like they are so Surprised there is a drought like the has never been one before. When I came From Scotland as a wee 6 YO Lass, the country was in the middle of a worse drought than this. She said there have been plenty more in the time I have been here and there will be plenty more after we are all gone yet these young know it alls think they are going to stop them and the bushfires by sending us back to the pre war times. Well I was around then and let me tell you, they were no fun and these young people should be a lot more appreciative of what they have now instead of always complain about things that are nothing new at all. "

The way she said " They act so surprised" made us all laugh at the way she said it.
    Other point she made was " I'll be not one of these people that are so upset about all ths fires and climate change have not offered 1 Minute of their time to do anything to help anyone at all. "

After the Sun set we could see the Unmistakeable and scary Glow of the fires not too far away.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

admin (04-01-20),hinekadon (27-12-19),Jma (27-12-19),lsemmens (28-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I can't stand it any more either. it's you're, not your...

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

admin (04-01-20),enf (27-12-19),Landytrack (27-12-19),lsemmens (28-12-19),Uncle Fester (27-12-19)

Thanks

Nothing a couple of large natural disasters on the asian continent wont fix, that is where the ever expanding population is occurring.

Thanks

SARS
    EBOLA
    our only hope

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eeprommemory View Post
    SARS
    EBOLA
    our only hope
    Agreed.....as long as its not transmitted to my bacon supply !!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (29-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

If you can't Trust the Gubbermint, ya know, the people elected by Big Business and the favours they do them and their future employers after Gubbermint, who can you trust?

Thanks

Well here is another one you can chew over, heard on the news tonight that this January just passed was the hottest January in Antarctica since record taking started. (no idea when that was) However a few huge icebergs have broken off and have freed up a massive ice shelf behind them. If it melts the worlds oceans will rise by 1 metre.

Here is the article that the news item referenced:-

Not proof of climate change by any means, only future measurements over a number of years will show if this is an isolated incident, or the start of a big trend.
    Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 14-02-20 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks

More facts to chew over. Heard on the Queensland weather reports this evening that a number of Queensland towns had the highest temperatures ever recorded since record taking started over 100 years ago. Certainly not proof of climate change, however it does confirm the observed change that is occurring.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Without the context of when the previous records were set, such claims are suspect.

I think we all accept that climate change is happening, but whats not clear to me is what to do about it. Certainly building some windmills will solve nothing except the bottom line of the windmill builders.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Without the context of when the previous records were set, such claims are suspect.

I think we all accept that climate change is happening, but whats not clear to me is what to do about it. Certainly building some windmills will solve nothing except the bottom line of the windmill builders.

Elon Musk did something about it.
    Most of Europe has copied and is doing something about it.
    It is expected that the USA will start doing something about it.
    China will have to do something about it.
    Parts of Australia are doing something about it.
    Twiggy will do something about it.
    A huge new economy will do something about it.
    ...and windmills will play only a very small role.
    Twiggy seems enthusiastic about energy storage with solar to Hydrogen and Ammonia electrolysis for fuel cells or direct combustion.

Other than a bit of encouragement our governments wouldn't really have to do anything about it but unfortunately they will by charging an EV tax, AFAIK the only developed country that will do so, so they are certainly doing something against it just to reap in a few pennies.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    I think we all accept that climate change is happening, but whats not clear to me is what to do about it.
    I really doubt there is -anything- we can do about it ~ if carbon dioxide released from burning fossil fuels is the root cause, then the genie is out of the bottle -- how exactly can we undo all that burning since the advent of the industrial revolution? We can't...it's difficult to reconcile how to 'undo' 200years of chemistry history --- this is all I see it as, a big chemical reaction...ongoing.... and we're still burning fossil fuel and liberating CO2 at an ever increasing rate.

Some of us here will recall the discovery of holes in the ozone layer in the 1970's, and how they discovered what the root cause of that happening was, and how banning certain chemical compounds (and replacing them with other chemicals) that were causing this damage --- the damage was done over only a few decades, and even having discovered the cause and virtually eliminated it (caveat CN), the projection is the ozone layer will only recover to what it was before the advent of the chemicals that dispersed it...sometime in the 22nd century going by the current rate or recovery.

If the primary cause of global warming is indeed the CO2 produced by burning fossil fuels, and then supposing they banned/stopped all that CO2 being produced, it is still going to take literally centuries for the planet's chemistry to return to the way it was...centuries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I really doubt there is -anything- we can do about it ~ if carbon dioxide released from burning fossil fuels is the root cause, then the genie is out of the bottle --
    Well for a start we could stop producing more CO2. Then we could look at the best ways to reduce the amount that is there now. But unless we stop, now, there will be little chance of earth surviving more than a few hundred years, probably. Who knows?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Need to stop just thinking of CO2.
    Exhaust gases pump out all kinds of shit.
    If we stop burning fossil fuel in ICEs the effect is immediate.
    Just look at Venice when they had a lock down, no diesel powered water taxies, the water became crystal clear and almost blue.
    Imagine Sydney harbour like that with electric powered boats and ferries. You could finally see all the sharks down there.
    Clean fresh air to breath even in cities. Probably save many thousands from dying of cancer too.
    What's wrong with that?
    Reducing CO2 is just a side effect of providing a higher quality life and not only for humans.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 29-11-20 at 04:06 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The issue with Venice may not have been just the reduction of pollutants in the water but the fact that any boat with a propeller was also churning up the seabed.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (30-11-20)

Thanks

True, Uncle Fester, that internal combustion engines pollute our air, however it is the greenhouse gasses which are the main driving force in advancing climate change. The main greenhouse gasses are Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4) and water vapor (H2O).

The one that we have capacity to limit is CO2 from burning fossil fuels (Oil and Coal).

Unfortunately we are approaching or have already reached a runaway state with increased average temperatures drying forests, as well as increasing storm action. The increased temperatures also increase evaporation from oceans, lakes and rivers which results in increased water vapor in the atmosphere. More storms result in an increase in lightning strikes which can cause more and larger bush fires. More and larger bush fires further increase CO2 in the atmosphere, being a product of combustion.

The increase in average temperatures also causes melting of ice caps. Less ice means that there is less reflection of solar energy back into space.

The only action we can take quickly is to stop the production of CO2 from burning fossil fuel.

There is a natural cause to climate change, which is due to the cyclic action in the variation of the earths axis. This leads to periodic cooling of the earth resulting in ice ages. At the moment the earth axis cycle is approaching an ice age condition, however the burning of fossil fuels have over ridden this effect, resulting in an increase in average temperature as oppose to a reduction which should be occurring.

If we could cease CO2 production right away there is a possibility that the natural cyclic changes in average temperature may prevail and save the earth and give us some time to change our ways over the next few hundred years before the earth starts naturally moving away from this ice age. However, in my opinion, this is a long shot.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

zero co2 from china to frankfurt ?

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234