Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Split System

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

Default Which Split System

Gonna get a large (9.0Kw +) Reverse Cycle split system installed after summer.

Is there one brand that's better than another? Or is it like a Ford/Holden thing.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Look Here ->

Thanks

Get someone who really knows their stuff and takes pride in their work to do the install. I've had two done by electricians that were botched and one by a fridgie that was perfect. I'm not saying that all electricians are like this, but it pays to find out how experienced the installer really is. Some of the places selling these things will swear that their installers are super experienced and are absolute experts, then outsource to the cheapest place that wants the job.

Don't be tempted to get a bigger capacity unit than what you need. In milder conditions, it won't be able to throttle back far enough and will end up "short cycling" (i.e. running the compressor motor in short bursts) to maintain the set temperature. This isn't good for the long term reliability of the motor and compressor.

I've had good and bad with different brands. Daikin seem to be the best, but expensive to buy and parts prices are so high that you throw the whole unit away when it fails. A number of relatives and friends have had Daikins fail just outside warranty. Having said that, I have a 15 year old Daikin 5kW unit still going strong. Daikin is popular here in Tassie because they seem to heat better when the outside temperature gets below freezing.

The last one I bought was a Mitsubishi Electric one. It seems to go well, although it's not as good as the old Daikin in our other room for heating on really cold nights. Happy to elaborate if you're looking at heating in Canberra Winters.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

enf (28-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Had a Fujitsu ASTG24KMCA Inverter system installed in 2014 – (6.8kW cooling – 8kW heating).

Don’t use it much for heating as we have a combustion heater, but it kicks the living area into gear quick-smart on winter mornings before the fire gets going.

Works extremely well on cooling – we only ever run it in “Economy mode”, and set at 25° it just purrs along and keeps a five-room living area very comfortable – we shut off the rest of the house as it’s just too damn big, with cathedral ceilings, to even bother cooling.

If you listen real hard you can just hear the fan slowly throttle up and down occasionally as the cooling load demands.

So far, no problems – haven’t even cleaned the filters yet (note to self!).
    In summer it runs for about 10hrs/day starting around midday, and very little use in winter – so it hasn’t exactly been worked to death over the last five years.

Overall impact on our electricity bill has been delightfully minimal – I think the inverter operation is considerably more efficient than the old “all or nothin’” systems.

Our installation was done by local refrigeration bloke and his son – an excellent job – so I second Shreds’ comments in that regard – might be a bit harder to get that “locals pride” in the big smoke though.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 28-12-19 at 06:09 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (28-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Fujitsu and panasonic for split systems. In all my houses and business (probably about 15 units in all over the years) they always ran well. Current house has an old Daikin that seems to go ok and I recently installed another 2 panasonics.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

enf (28-12-19)

Thanks

My Fujitsu is still going strong after 25 years

• The Following User Says Thank You to coalminer For This Useful Post:

enf (28-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

9 kW is not that large when you take into account that the specified rating for cooling is at an indoor set temp of 27° C dry bulb and an ambient of 35° dry bulb for condensing. Beyond these specifications the system derates dramatically.
    Many manufacturers massage their figures and will quote heating capacity rather than cooling. Heating will always have a greater COP due to the heat of compression being added to the refrigerant.
    Mitsubishi Electric (not Heavy Industries) has been my go to brand for years now.
    Super reliable and spare parts are available for a long time.
    Modern inverter systems will adjust compressor speed and linear expansion valve metering means that short cycling is not an issue.
    Make sure that the system field piping is vacuumed to the specified 500µ m Hg so that all moisture is expunged. Nothing will kill a compressor faster than water in the system.
    Very few "back to back" wall hung split installers will vacuum to the Australian standard, nor carry a micron gauge. If they tell you that their manifold gauge set is at -30 vacuum, you have been misled. No accuracy in vacuum.
    I only work in commercial HVAC now where regulations are more forcefully enforced. Domestic is full of cowboys who will purge refrigerant to clear system piping.
    A properly done wall hung split installation should take at least four hours. Sadly, this is a rare occurrence.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

enf (29-12-19),hinekadon (29-12-19),shred (29-12-19),Softek2 (30-12-19),tristen (29-12-19),VroomVroom (30-12-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries are currently the most favoured and recommended by people.

I had a Daikin at my last place for a decade before moving, and this one is up to 13 years now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (01-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Mitsubishi and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries are currently the most favoured and recommended by people.
    2 Completely different companies

I lot of Installers i work with (Fridges) highly recommend the Mitshi Heavy Industries but tell you to run away from Mitsubishi

From personal experience, the Mitsubishi want you to run a 240v supply to both Indoor and Outdoor units, as well as the interconnection cable
    Where as every other unit on the market just wants a 240v supply at either unit + interconnect.

As for brands, who knows
    Daikin used to be the one, but the last time i had 3 units installed in one job, 2 failed with in days
    Obviously this can't be the norm or they would be out of business, but i was pretty disappointed.

I'd be happy with a Fujitsu, Daikin, Panasonic

I put noise of operation, adjustability, visual appeal in my decision making process now
    IE: Daikin's standard range is a perfect match for Dulux Whisper White paint

And what refrigerant they use!

If you want a unit you can control via an App on your phone when you are not at home, they choice will be small.
    Warranty might be a factor for you also

I guess, you could ring a few installers and ask what unit they would have in thier own home?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 06:24 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (01-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

our house (should of been ducted)
    had 2 fuji's installed 15 yrs ago or so
    1 has leaked for as long as its been there, cost more chasing leaks than a new 1s worth (replaced now)
    the others still going strong 15 yrs on, i have a cheap kelvinator extra in my room, its ok
    but get the featuresyou need, swing, set etc
    & make sure they use extra gas over the standard 10 mtr pipe, a lot of installers just "chuck them in" easy money
    the more gas, better it works.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philquad View Post
    our house (should of been ducted)
    had 2 fuji's installed 15 yrs ago or so
    1 has leaked for as long as its been there, cost more chasing leaks than a new 1s worth (replaced now)
    My Fujitsu also had a pin hole leak in the end
    Wasted 3 months chasing it, pumped 750kpa of nitrogen in and still couldn't find it
    Started going broke charging it with refrigerant... ripped it out
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I would only go Fujutisu, Panasonic or Daikin if you are intending staying in the place. If you are intending to move in say 5 years, get whatever with extended warranty and save the cash.

One of the fans on my 20 Yo Daikin outdoor unit stopped working a few months back. No parts available but a mob in Wollongong would do an exchange one for $235.
    I spent about $60 and replaced all the relays on the board while I had it out and thing works fine again now.
    It's the electronics that are often what you have to watch. Have swapped Compressors before with Little trouble but the brains of the things can be the weak and unobtainable part.

This thing works unreal. It's undersized for the house but was 44 C here today and it's kept the place beautiful. I try to help it out with a couple of water mist sprayers on the condenser unit. Drops the output temp through the coil up to 20o which gives the thing a much easier time and pulls it back on it's curve. On days like this you can feel ( and measure) the temp drop of the air coming out the Vents. It does burn some power but I couldn't care any less about that. Exactly the reason I put on so much solar.

Was still 40oC here at 4:30. 23 inside all day.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (01-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I have a Fujitsu here in kal.
    I purchased the next size up from the recommended size, glad I did.

Office is nice and cool on a 44 degree day

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

enf (01-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post

Don't be tempted to get a bigger capacity unit than what you need. In milder conditions, it won't be able to throttle back far enough and will end up "short cycling" (i.e. running the compressor motor in short bursts) to maintain the set temperature. This isn't good for the long term reliability of the motor and compressor.
    Most if not all decent units are inverters now. They ramp up and down as the need requires. For this reason it would be wise to go over than under size. It will allow your house to be cooled or warmed much quicker and the unit will maintain an even temp instead of kicking on or off all the time.

Also in the stinking heat or the freezing cold when the things are off their efficiency curve, more capacity gives you more margin to play with.
    Most decent nits had a lock out that only allowed the Compressor so many starts in a certain time and also monitored the temp of the compressor so as to prevent it over heating.

My old system is a non inverter and I turn the temp right down and then switch the thing off all together for a while. This works better for the solar power I am feeding it with and eliminates the the thing running and switching off before the inverter has a chance to start up. On days like today it runs pretty much all the time anyway which is perfect and saves me money on power.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I really don't think it matters what you buy (talking main stream not no name twang bang units) unless you want it to work in below freezing conditions. Then you need to look at something like Daikin or Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

Thanks

Put 2 Daikins in 20+years ago and they are still working a treat. The 2kw unit we just cleaned out the inside unit for the first time and it's amazing how much better it works.

We put in a daikin 8.5kw multi-head unit about 17years ago (We didn't have the roof space for ducted) and hooked 4 heads to it. Still works great.

Now for customers we put in Mitsubishi heavy industry units.

Daikin were good but sort of think they are not as good as they used to be. In saying that you can get dud units from any brand.

Here in the west sparlies are able to put them in now, but some guys are really rough and workmanship is shit. Problem is they don't have any inspection format on them, so it is a quick install and scoot.

Thanks

The multi head splits are also a good option over ducted.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

i love a multi head

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Reschs (07-01-20)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    2 Completely different companies
    Yep, thats why I listed them separately as 2 different companies. Otherwise I would have just said Mitsubishi.

A mate has a Mitsubishi 7/8, installed at the same time as my Daiken 13 years ago and has had zero problems. Whingepool doesn't have anyone screaming about them, which is generally a good indication they perform well.

The only thing I would not buy is no name/chinese/chinese bought a one trusted name units.

Wifi is something I will be looking for when I install at my next house.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

The only thing I would not buy is no name/chinese/chinese bought a one trusted name units.
    Mate in aircon was telling me a while back some of these units have brand name electronics and Compressors and are well made units.
    He also said some are total crap and there is no way to tell which is which other than open them up and have a look. He thinks some are re badged brand names ( Mitsubishi came up) they have got as surplus or cheap some way. Also said in the no names, one can be good in one size but are crap in another because they are a completely different machine.

Administrator
    Thanks

Yeah, its a bit too much of a lottery for me. My daughter just bought one from Kogan, god knows whats in that. They plan on selling, which is why they went the cheap option.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast