Thread: Bosch Solution 880 output pin

Thanks

Default Bosch Solution 880 output pin

Hi, only found this forum recently when googling for some help, cant believe I didn't know it existed! Hopefully someone can help! I am connecting my Bosch Solution 880 to a Raspberry pi, I have configured one of the zones to a keyswitch mode, and can successfully arm/disarm the alarm from the pi.

I want to use output #2 on the Bosch to send the armed status (either armed or disarmed). I have configured the output 2 according to the manual, that is low going high when system is armed. So that is locations 374-379, setting of 0,1 (system armed), 0,8 (normally low, going open), and 0,0,0 for the timing options bits. My understanding is that I should then get 12v between +COM and OUT2 on the output strip. The +COM has 12v, but OUT2 doesn't want to go to ground.

I have tried all combinations, using armed as a trigger, disarmed as a trigger, low going high, high going low, but I can't get anything on OUT2.

I have no faults, so it is not a battery issue (outputs 1-4 wont operate if a battery test fails according to the manual). If I disconnect the battery, it logs a fault, reconnect, and the fault clears. So I am sure the battery is ok.

What am I missing?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Place a 3k3 resistor between OUT2 and +COM. This should fix your problem. OUT1-3 on the 880 are open-collector outputs, so they need a "load" to switch to ground and work properly. The 3k3 resistor provides this load.

• The Following User Says Thank You to alarmman For This Useful Post:

Modena (04-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alarmman View Post
    Place a 3k3 resistor between OUT2 and +COM. This should fix your problem. OUT1-3 on the 880 are open-collector outputs, so they need a "load" to switch to ground and work properly. The 3k3 resistor provides this load.
    Ok I put a 3k3 between OUT2 and +COM (two terminals apart), so I should now get 12v between these two terminals when the output is active, right? I still get nothing.

Thank you for helping.

Thanks

A bit more information is required. What type of trigger do you need the pi input to respond to? Open-circuit when disarmed, changing to 12V when armed? Or open-circuit when disarmed, changing to ground when armed? Or something else?
    Last edited by alarmman; 03-01-20 at 01:16 PM.

Modena (04-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alarmman View Post
    A bit more information is required. What type of trigger do you need the pi input to respond to? Open-circuit when disarmed, changing to 12V when armed? Or open-circuit when disarmed, changing to ground when armed? Or something else?
    I will connect OUT2 to an external relay, so forget that I mentioned the pi, it will read off the relay. So with a 3k3 between OUT2 and COM+, there is 12v on OUT2 all the time, regardless of whether OUT2 is programmed for high->low or low->high and regardless of arm/disarm state (if I put the multimeter between OUT2 and GND (far right of terminal strip) then I get 12v all the time. Could the 3k3 be too low a value?

Thanks

...so my plan is, feed COM+ (+12v) and OUT2 (switching GND) to an external relay.

Thanks

If you're using a 12V relay, them remove the 3k3 resistor and connect the relay coil directly between OUT2 and +COM. Program OUT2 as 0,1,1,0,0,0 (normally open, going low on arming). The relay should now operate each time the alarm is armed in either AWAY or STAY modes and release when disarmed.

Connect the relay COM and NO or NC contacts between the pi input and pi PSU ground or +V, as required, to trigger the pi.

Modena (04-01-20)

Thanks

Ok done that, put the 12v relay between OUT2 and COM+ and programmed 374-379 as 0,1,1,0,0,0 but she no go. Still get nothing, OUT2 just doesnt seem to want to go to GND.

Thanks

ok fixed. It turns out I was referring to an older version of the manual. In version 1.40, OUT2 is locations 374-379, whereas my panel is apparently version 1.62 and the OUT2 locations are 386-391. After programming the correct locations, the relay is working. Thank you for giving your time to help.

Thanks

So it turns out you have an 880 Ultima and not an original 880. As you have found, the locations for the outputs are different between these models. The later 880-ICP model is different again. That's why it's always best to use an alarm service technician experienced with your model of alarm when calling someone to service it.