Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Frightening pictures

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Mallacoota

At 9am this morning

Thanks

One of my fav places to ride for a burger. Pic was sent to me last night. Walwa is near Corryong. It's looking really bad up there. I know of people who were told to evacuate at 3am to Kahncoban. The wind hasn't changed yet and the narrow front is stretching further and further SE.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (31-12-19),Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Thanks

so you can see the direction the fire is going. The wind change could be tragic.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

gulliver (31-12-19),Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Snow Falls in December
    Catastrophic Wild Fires in December
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    very tragic. I couldn't believe what I was hearing last night. Truck was lifted from the back over the top apparently.
    Yes, you have to wonder how accurate information is at this point

Media outlets ready to publish anything, Social Media and Text Apps doing Chinese Whispers

Certainly no disrespect to those volunteers injured or killed.
    But it is hard to imagine wind flipped a 8 or 10 Tonne tanker over
    If a Fire Ball did that, as reported.... Then a stand corrected and am truly amazed.

CFA having heaps of issues with Comms around Bruthen
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 02:02 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (31-12-19),Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    so you can see the direction the fire is going. The wind change could be tragic.

Not a lot of space between the Corryong fire and the NW front of the Gippsland fires now.

And it's not much of a jump from the Gippsland northern front across to the four smaller fires already underway across the border....won't take much of a southerly to join that lot up.

Here's the NSW Incident site:

If you scroll down below the map you'll see that the first 8 fires listed are in the Eurobodalla, Snowy, Shoalhaven, Hume, and Bega areas....and are all out of control.

Got a feeling there's going to be a lot more red on that map in the near future.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (31-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Would be interesting if someone adds up all the burnt area in QLD, NSW and VIC in the passed 3 months

It would be a huge area!
    And probably a reasonable percentage of the seaboard

Premium Member
    Thanks

Speaking of NSW Fires.... I hope this is not the actual burnt area?!?!

Premium Member
    Thanks

And now new fires in the Central Vic High Country

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Not a lot of space between the Corryong fire and the NW front of the Gippsland fires now.
    Well, that didn't take long......

Premium Member
    Thanks

It will be interesting to see what Air Support they will get tonight...
    They landed all aircraft at dusk for the Christmas Day fires here... I was rather surprised.

I guess the risk of hitting the ground is very real or the side of a mountain
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks

And now new fires in the Central Vic High Country

Ouch! That's a bit close to home, OB.

Our back boundary.....about 250 metres from the house......is the Mount Buffalo National Park.

Might start packing a few boxes

ol' boy (31-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Speaking of NSW Fires.... I hope this is not the actual burnt area?!?!
    That's what it indicates.
    A drop in the ocean compared to the areas burnt out further north. :0(

They pull all the aircraft by sunset here too. They are all heading back by 8:30 at the latest and none of them operate at night. I would have thought they could maintain a Minimum height at night to avoid obstacles but maybe that would bee too high for the water to be effective and it would break up too much.
    It sure would be easy to spot the heart of the fire though at least from the windward side.

The real cost of these fires will never be known but have to be 1-2 Billion.
    Spose not everyone is complaining. when I ws down the Irrigation place couple of weeks ago they had bare shelves. Guy said they had bought $140K worth of fire pumps wholesale the week before and the only 2 he had left were the display units. Was out of most hose, there was only a few Nozzles left out of a selection of about 6 and storz and other fittings were all gone as well.
    luckily I had all the fire fighting specific fittings I needed and they had the basic plastic Plumbing Fittings I wanted..... although the 1.5 and 2" sizes were in single digit numbers in the bins that could easily hold 100.

I think the families of the fire fighters that have been lost should get $1m instant payout. That's not out of line with the compensation they would get if they were killed on the job in a lot of other trades/ professions anyway. Gubbermint should also pick up the funeral expenses straight off as well.

Bloody heartbreaking for these young men with families to loose their lives like this. Needs to be ensured the wives and kids don't suffer ANY financial hardship after the looses of their hero Husbands and fathers and or Wives and mothers if heaven forbid it comes to that.

Why the military isn't allowed to help is Bullshit whatever reason it is.
    If this wouldn't be considered defending our Country and it's people from a Significant threat, I don't know what would be.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Restoring Power and getting food into some of these cut off areas will be the next issue

Orbost has no food on shelves left
    Marlo hasn't had power since yesterday
    Roads are cut with fallen trees etc
    Princes Hwy still closed.....

What an enormous strain on our community, especially given the time of year

Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Thanks

Contrary to uninformed opinion, the Australian Defence Force has provided ongoing support to the current bushfire effort:

Defence continues bushfire support

The Australian Defence Force (ADF) has been working with Emergency Management Australia to assist with firefighting efforts in New South Wales, Queensland, Western Australia, Victoria and South Australia since November 8.

Special notice should be paid to first point in the overview at the bottom of the page:

The ADF is not trained, equipped or certified to undertake ground-based or aerial bush firefighting and does not get involved in the direct act of fighting bushfires outside Defence property.
    Sounds fair enough to me.....unless some believe that untrained and improperly equipped people should be sent into the inferno.

Some further thoughts on the issue:

Fighting fires is not the Australian Defence Force’s job

lsemmens (31-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm wondering what more personal would even do in Wild Fires like this anyway???
    What you going to do with them???
    Throw in front of the fire and ask them to stop it?

What i witnessed in the Christmas Day fires here, was lack luster action in the weeks leading up to the Fire Storm when the hot north wind came on Christmas Day
    Had they thrown 1/4 of what they did to put it out once it got away, at it when it was still tiny it would have been contained

Exactly like what Leroy said earlier today.....
    Although id say the Gippsland Fires were larger concern and probably very hard to put out.

Lets face it, we have all been lucky for years, all our state forests are loaded with tinder dry fuel
    The potential for this has been around us for years.... The no rain is what has caused the multi day, multi week fires.
    No amount of crews will put this out
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 06:25 PM.

Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Thanks

Yep, OB....just watched a chopper on TV drop a bucketload.....which basically turned to steam before it hit the ground.

Not sure that throwing a truckload of Sappers at it would make a whole lot of difference.

We've been caught with our pants down, big time.....apparently a whole bunch of fire chiefs tried to get a meeting with TPTB in November to warn of this, but........well, you know the rest of the story.

Perhaps this is a lesson that can only be learned the hard way.........but I'm less than confident that those who really need to learn are paying much attention.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post

Sounds fair enough to me.....unless some believe that untrained and improperly equipped people should be sent into the inferno.
    You mean like the thousands of untrained home and land holders that are out there fighting tooth and nail to protect what they have worked their guts out for and built up over a life time and have zero training and little if any resources and are often in their advancing years rather than young and fit?

You mean like THOSE thousands of untrained and improperly equipped people?

It does not take advanced training to put out grass fires and other minor but essential fire fighting work just like farmers have done for decades and I don't believe that the soldiers are so inept they couldn't be put with experienced people who can keep an eye on them and instruct them what to do back from the fire front and help with things like running hoses or watching pumps etc. I'm sure they could be given some instruction over a day or 2 that would fill them in on the most likley things they were going to have to face and deal with.
    No need to send them into Crowning blazes but getting on the end of a hose, a shovel or a wet hessian sack woudn't exactly be rocket science.

Back in WWII my grandfather was in the Militia and given Fk all training and was supposed to help defend the country from invasion with nothing more than a single shot .22.

Typical how the Pussy mentality has infected everything these days even soldiers whom were once considered hard, brave men.... Even when they did lie about their age to join up at 15 or 16.

Premium Member
    Thanks

ADF could probably be deployed for clearing trees and opening towns to traffic and supplies.
    That is the CFA's No.1 concern now, even before Fire itself, is hazardous trees as they call them....

It is the reason so many areas stay closed once a fire goes through
    And the reason DELWP vehicles mostly all have tree protection

They could even be used to food drop into some areas im sure
    Or rescue those that will be told they will be without Power and hence Water for weeks

Will be a lot of work outside direct fire fighting i guess now i think about it

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Thala Dan's links do indicate a very substantial Defence Contribution. There is one thing for an untrained person volunteering to help protect neighbours properties and the like, it's completely different to be ordered to do a job for which they have had no training, or expectation, of performing as part of their duties. Someone further up the thread suggested that CFS volunteers should be given the same benefits that Army Reserve Volunteers get. We are all sitting in relative safety making observations on situations with which many of us have little or no experience of.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (31-12-19)

• Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast