Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Burn burn burn......

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Well george gets his wish

The Navy are coming to save the day at Mallacoota
    (Via Daniel Andrews whom ask the Fed for ADF help)

Not sure why just opening the roads isn't an option... Oh yeah, a burning leaf might fall on them

I'm looking forward to seeing the Maritime Union to dock the 800 tonne vessel at Royal Genoa Yacht Club.

The Hwy from Marlo back to Melbourne is being opened tomorrow between 10am and 12noon, to get the tourists out
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 08:08 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

The introduction of inexperienced, untrained personnel into any emergency situation is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention the massive increase in management and logistic support necessitated by their very presence.

It is grossly unfair and unsafe to expect trained fire personnel to “keep an eye” on untrained individuals in even the most basic of real-time emergency tasks.
    This is not the place for on-the-job training, or well-meaning amateurs.
    The presence of such individuals creates more problems than it solves.

I wonder how the ADF personnel would feel about having untrained individuals inserted into their platoons in a battle situation.

The ADF is providing what the fire-fighters need most….advanced ground, aerial, and maritime support, and competent, experienced disaster management, logistics, personnel and systems.

Any perceived shortcomings in fire-fighting manpower, be it front-line operators or behind-the-lines cleanup crews, needs to be addressed in the context of a professional, properly resourced and trained fire-fighting capability, without the need to resort to band-aid solutions.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-01-20),tristen (05-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Before anyone says anything, I've already been told off! I didn't know the area was under a watch and act! But I did check wind etc so was not going to be an issue with fires blowing towards me.

I went for a ride to Mt Benambra. I thought I would take the binoculars to see what I can of the Corryong fires.
    From Tallangatta I took Yabba Rd, Callaghan Creek Rd, Callaghan Creek Track, Mt Benambra Rd, Benambra Summit Track up to the tower/lookout.
    I then came back to the Mt Benambra Rd and continued to Dartmouth.
    From there I rode through Mitta Mitta and then went over Trappers Gap to Mt Beauty and then the Kiewa Valley Hwy home.

While up at the lookout I could see smoke bellowing from over a ridge towards Corryong with a slight orange glow. I watched for prob half an hour. Behind me was Lake Dartmouth but I couldn't see a thing. Smoke that side was thick. It was very windy at the lookout, from the NW I reckon and you could see the smoke from the fires going from westerly to easterly direction.
    What was interesting was all the smoke swirling below over Dartmouth Dam behind me to the south. Think smoke everywhere. Kind of made me think there was another fire somewhere.
    Anyway I decided to head out and continue along Mt Benambra Rd to Dartmouth. As I was descending it was getting smokier and smokier and I was kinda thinking I should have just gone back the same way but I checked for fires before I left so kept going. What was really interesting was the temp dropped heaps to like 19deg. It was 32deg when I left home. When I got to the Dartmouth Rd and rode towards Mitta, smoke all the way until just before the turnoff to Mitta. I looked back and yep so smokey. So it was up that valley towards the dam for some reason. Temp of course picked up.

Oh and I forgot my phone so no pics!!

Anyway that's my adventure for tonight.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    The introduction of inexperienced, untrained personnel into any emergency situation is a recipe for disaster.

It is grossly unfair and unsafe to expect trained fire personnel to “keep an eye” on untrained individuals in even the most basic of real-time emergency tasks.
    This is not the place for on-the-job training, or well-meaning amateurs.
    Unfortunately your predictable attitude does NOT add up to practice and reality.

Firies that were at my mates place had no problem with us helping them when fires came to his place about a month ago. My mates son and son in law were also there and the firies told us a few things to do and watch for and seemed plenty happy to have us there helping them using our and their equipment. Must have been about a Dozen of them there and at no time did they indicate they were anything but happy to have us there with them. Only thing the guy in charge said was He didn't want us to freak, but he thought it was going to get bad and if it got too much, we were to leave with them or go to the front paddock where we would be safe and wait it out and see what happened. They were anything but " Oh, amateurs, why don't you leave it to us. mate had pumps and hoses of his own and we were all appointed one and told where we were to defend and they would be doing the same with their gear. Yes, they took the more critical spots and were going to go further forward than we were as they had the proper gear but never did they indicate they didn't want us there of give us the impression we were in the way or useless.

I have seen loads of vids and news reports of home owners and neighbours on the front line with the firies and them thanking each other for their help when it had passed. Thankfully, not everyone is a Chicken shit and will run away when things get tough just because they aren't " trained" or are covered in PPE.
    Can't say the same for everyone of course.

I wonder how the ADF personnel would feel about having untrained individuals inserted into their platoons in a battle situation.
    Again, ever heard of a Militia? From what I know and have heard many stories of, when the shit hits the fan in war the guys in the shit are plenty happy for anyone to pick up a rifle and fire it in the right direction. I'd also think these guy would have enough common sense to pick up a fire hose and point it at the fire.

Fking Pussy mentality is turning the western world at least into a bunch of PC softcocks.
    Can't tell me anyone trained to go to war and kill an enemy can't help put out Fking bushfire. Wonder if the military in other places like China, Russia, Asia and other places help out in national crisis or they stand back and piss and moan about not being " Trained"?
    Last edited by george65; 01-01-20 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Before anyone says anything, I've already been told off!
    You forgot to say what you got told off for and by whom??

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just getting worse for a lot of places
    Gypsy Point looks like it burnt
    Will be interesting come morning

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Plenty of Roads Closed
    Plenty of Power Outages
    Massive Clean up now... This will takes months and months if not all year.

Day time temps building up to 40 degrees again on Saturday with North winds

I hope this makes those F#@Kheads in Collins St pull thier heads in and allows Parks Vic and DELWP to clear around communities like they want too!!!!!
    Instead of being more concerned about the yellow spotted frog.
    Also relax laws for home owners to clear large trees from their property

Great time to buy a Cherry Picker and start Tree Trimming business

The next will be the economic blow to these coastal tourist towns at their busiest time of the year

A very slow slow road now.....

After Ash Wednesday, we could all get in and get things done the next day.
    After Christmas Day fires, it was all locked down, Security posted at all roads in and out to protect from looting and rubber necks

12 months + of slowly removing dangerous trees.
    Essential Service workers ONLY allowed in until it was deemed safe
    Then Insurance Assessing, Buses taking residents back in for a look, then back out.....

If its anything like other fires, there will be unprecedented rains and floods next causing land slides etc
    Last edited by ol' boy; 01-01-20 at 08:44 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (01-01-20),VroomVroom (02-01-20)

Thanks

Watch the video at the beginning of this twitter thread:

And then have a think about signing this petition:

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Some amazing photos of the Fire Fighting effort on Vic Gov and Air Attack

Last edited by ol' boy; 01-01-20 at 10:23 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

How's the spotting and direction.....

lsemmens (01-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

When you call in for help

Our find yourself a bit close

Last edited by ol' boy; 01-01-20 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Also relax laws for home owners to clear large trees from their property
    I doubt in the wake of the endless disasters happening around the country and the intense anger at all the green leftards and puppet councils that have fallen for all this shit that anyone is going to get fined for Illegal tree clearing around a property for the next 3-5 years.
    Talking to my mate from up north this morning whom lost his house, a lot of these councils will be luck not to have their arses sued off in class actions. I think there will be a BIG turnaround on all this green bullshit just from a liability POV.

Great time to buy a Cherry Picker and start Tree Trimming business
    Might be better in a LOT of areas to get a dozer or an excavator and remove Dangerous trees Burnt and otherwise. I know my mate up the road has been bloody busy doing that. I asked him jokingly if he had council permission? He said he was just praying some Fktard from the council would turn up and fine him because he'd hang all their arses out to dry. He has the means, the connections and the single minded determination to do exactly that.

The next will be the economic blow to these coastal tourist towns at their busiest time of the year
    I can't even fathom the cost to the country for the next decade to come. As usual the smallest interests being the private citizens, farmers etc will be hit the hardest but this is going to cost EVERYONE a shit load.

After Christmas Day fires, it was all locked down, Security posted at all roads in and out to protect from looting and rubber necks
    Looters should be shot on sight. No other consideration needs to be entered into.

If its anything like other fires, there will be unprecedented rains and floods next causing land slides etc
    I was only thinking this same thing yesterday. Droughts are always Broken by floods. I think it is going to take a flood to get the moisture content of the soil, the humidity and the water reserves back to where they need to be. There will be the usual stories of this was the place burning 3-6 months ago, this is it underwater today.
    The bit I really and not looking forward to is the Piece of shit leftard greenies grandstanding yet again on another disaster calling it Climate change.

The pictures are very interesting. I found the first one especially so.
    Looks like the chopper has picked up a lot of dirty/ Muddy water.
    I was only thinking yesterday when pumping some sludge out of my Bio tanks if a mud/ suspension would work better as a fire suppressant? I was thinking coating the ground/ grass/ Fuel with some sort of thicker medium may be more benificial than water that just runs off and I think would be more easily evaporated. With a sludge of Mud, I think it would stick better, probably bake on and may even act to slow the a fire when it was dried out.

Better to load a chopper in 30 sec with water 500M from where the fire is than to go back and load the thing with some mix as they can with retardant now.
    For protection of an area, maybe if there were silt that could be pulled from the bottom of a dam it may work better ?

No doubt this is one hell of a disaster and I don't think we are through the worst of it yet.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,066 Times in 9,091 Posts

Don't forget the water catchments. In Canberra in 2003 we were left with one dam out of three after they were filled with soot.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    You forgot to say what you got told off for and by whom??
    Friends Told off in a nice way.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Don't forget the water catchments. In Canberra in 2003 we were left with one dam out of three after they were filled with soot.
    yes all the rivers, dams etc turn to crap after fires. Takes years to recover.

Thanks

That was started by lightning yesterday, south of Mt Buffalo. Pic taken from Mt Porepunkah

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (02-01-20),lsemmens (02-01-20),ol' boy (01-01-20),Thala Dan (02-01-20)

Thanks

We had some bad fires last summer and we are certainly having worse fires this summer. They started earlier and there are more of them this time.
    The country had been in drought in many areas for some years, while there have been significant but short floods in some other areas.

This begs the question: are we starting to see the disastrous effects of this climate change now?

I'm an old bugger and I've seen many extreme weather events over the years but really bad fires two years running and no sign of any let up yet, and still no decent rain anywhere, seems a bit unprecedented. I guess the bigger question is: what's going to happen next summer and the one after?

• The Following User Says Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (02-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Seems more than the last 2 years.... More like that last 6 years.

But the last 2 have been especially bad...

The Vic High Country is either seasonally closed or on fire it seems.

We've always had the fuel load I've thought, everywhere...

But have we had an increase in natural events starting fires?

Ash Wednesday was started by a mill in my area...
    Black Sat by power lines
    Christmas Day Fires (lightening then VicParks)
    St Patrick's Day fires, power lines and a sub station

Seems lately though a lot of lightening causing wild fires...

And no or little rain to put them out.

Thala Dan (02-01-20)

Thanks

Leroy,

Looking at your pic, it looks like that would be Bright centre left......think that would make the fire(s) in your pic the ones down around Abbeyard (one of them is shown as 1669 Ha at 8.15pm yesterday, the other two are fairly small).

Guess we'd better hope we don't get any howling southerlies on Saturday

Many thanks for the pic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    We had some bad fires last summer and we are certainly having worse fires this summer. They started earlier and there are more of them this time.
    The country had been in drought in many areas for some years, while there have been significant but short floods in some other areas.

This begs the question: are we starting to see the disastrous effects of this climate change now?

I'm an old bugger and I've seen many extreme weather events over the years but really bad fires two years running and no sign of any let up yet, and still no decent rain anywhere, seems a bit unprecedented. I guess the bigger question is: what's going to happen next summer and the one after?
    That's the trouble with climate change......in terms of a human lifetime, it happens very, almost imperceptibly, slowly......until a tipping point will be reached.

If you're into electronics....it's kinda like a leaking capacitor in an amplifier, causing small, but slowly increasing amounts of positive feedback into the circuit as the leak increases........eventually there is enough feedback to cause the amp to take off uncontrollably.

It's a good example of what's referred to as the "outrage factor" at work........this term refers to the different ways society reacts to similar outcomes which have occurred in different time frames.

Example:

300 people killed in a massive multiple car crash.......outrage!

300 people killed in car crashes over a period of one year.....yawn.

It's going to take the multiple car crash before some start taking notice of what's actually happening.
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 02-01-20 at 07:03 AM.

• Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast