Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Burn burn burn......

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,092 Times in 9,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    We had some bad fires last summer and we are certainly having worse fires this summer. They started earlier and there are more of them this time.
    The country had been in drought in many areas for some years, while there have been significant but short floods in some other areas.

This begs the question: are we starting to see the disastrous effects of this climate change now?

I'm an old bugger and I've seen many extreme weather events over the years but really bad fires two years running and no sign of any let up yet, and still no decent rain anywhere, seems a bit unprecedented. I guess the bigger question is: what's going to happen next summer and the one after?
    Throw in government laziness at all levels as far as clearing tinder and back burning and it's no surprise that this is occurring IMO. We had all the lessons needed here in 2003, and they have just been ignored by governments at all levels.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (02-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Throw in government laziness at all levels as far as clearing tinder and back burning and it's no surprise that this is occurring IMO. We had all the lessons needed here in 2003, and they have just been ignored by governments at all levels.
    Yep.

It's like a tangled ball of multiple pieces of string......it's hard to know which end to pull on first.

Perhaps what has happened since last November will be the "multiple car crash" we need.....unfortunate as that is.

At least this time the media isn't looking the other way......that's a start.

But an awful lot of other people further up the line have got to start actually doing their job........guess you're as confident about that as I am

Thanks

THIS IS WHAT A BUSHFIRE LOOKS LIKE PRIOR TO IGNITION

Mount Buffalo National Park behind a rural residential area:

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-01-20),lsemmens (02-01-20),ol' boy (03-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Leroy,

Looking at your pic, it looks like that would be Bright centre left......think that would make the fire(s) in your pic the ones down around Abbeyard (one of them is shown as 1669 Ha at 8.15pm yesterday, the other two are fairly small).

Guess we'd better hope we don't get any howling southerlies on Saturday

Many thanks for the pic.
    Yes correct. There is a forecast wind change Sat unfortunately. Everyone leaving Bright etc now.

Here is a pic from Myrtleford FB page anElvis Helitanker bombing South Buffalo fire 6pm today.
    This is NOT the fire producing all the visible smoke in the region. The East Abbeyard fires are making all those huge plumes of smoke we saw today but are very far from Myrtleford and Bright to be any immediate danger.
    Helitankers are taking water off Lake Catani which would be a big reason why our mountain is "closed". But there is no need to close Ladies bath and Rollasons falls to swimmers or even the Chalet. Just close the road at the Parks office if you really must.
    With the constant waterbombing and what looks like red fire retardant, I would be very suprised if this fire is still burning tommorrow (Thu).d comments.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (03-01-20),Thala Dan (02-01-20)

Thanks

THIS IS WHAT A BUSHFIRE LOOKS LIKE PRIOR TO IGNITION

Mount Buffalo National Park behind a rural residential area:

wow. They did a preventative burn behind us last May Mt Baranduda. Glad they did now. Resulted in mudslides/flooding shortly after

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (02-01-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    wow. They did a preventative burn behind us last May Mt Baranduda. Glad they did now. Resulted in mudslides/flooding shortly after
    Therein lies the problem, in a situation like that, you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't. Mudslides and flooding, I'd suggest, are still way preferable to having the whole lot go up in smoke. Maybe they should allow people to collect firewood for winter again.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (02-01-20)

Thanks

Thanks Leroy,

I didn't even know that FB page existed.....guess i'll have to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century and join FB one day.

Good to see that Elvis is on the job.....that small fire at The Horn could have turned nasty very easily.

Been listening to ABC Wodonga for updates....they had a phone-in going on.....several tourists from Mallacoota rang in.....bloody unbelievable......grizzling their heads off because no-one has come around and wiped their bum for them. City people!!

Got both vehicles fuelled up, and plenty of food, water, etc. in the Hiace campervan.

Got a 25mm fire hose straight off our bore, and it throws a mean arc.

Now just a matter of sit, watch, and wait.

One thing is for sure.....when this is all over I'll be pushing hard to get that controlled burn done up there.

@Isemmens.....yep, many's the time I've been sorely tempted to hop over the back fence with my 20" Stihl in hand

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-01-20),lsemmens (03-01-20),ol' boy (03-01-20)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Obviously Scott Morrison is behind it again with his climate changing

Interesting that no asks where Daniel Andrews is ?
    With Labor and Anthony Albanese milking this disaster for all its worth, you really have to wonder at some of this screaming outrage. Mainly via social media, but of course the mainstream media now add social media comments to their articles because they are lazy.

Scott Morrison goes on holiday. He planned his holiday for January, but due to 2 foreign leaders invitations he decided to take his holiday in December and travel to those countries in January. So he takes his missus and 2 kids to Hawaii for a holiday. They are a pretty down to earth family, of course their downfall being they are conservative and christian so they are rife for attack and abuse. So they go on holiday in Hawaii, fires break out in Australia and Morrison is allegedly asleep at the wheel (despite fire fighting being a state responsibility). Albanese immediately defends Morrision, but within 48 hours sees the political opportunity and attacks him on exactly the same thing instead ! Wow, what an opportunist. Apparently Morrison was supposed to inform all the media where he was going, so they could intrude on his holiday and stalk him and take pictures. You would think that stating you are taking a holiday and announcing the deputy PM is in charge would be enough.

Two days ago, I read that Daniel Andrews has cut short his holidays to head back to Victoria due to the bushfires. Ok, where is the outrage ? There is none, zip, zero, absolutely nothing. These Victorian fires have been burning since November. They should have been deal with then. They werent.

Morrison : Goes on holidays, fires then break out. Is allegedly at fault for the fires because he is holiday, despite them being a state issue.
    Andrews : Goes on holidays while fires continue to burn since November. Only returns to work a few days ago, to no criticism.

The Queensland (labor) Premier did similar to Andrews and also received no criticism.

Its clear that in the future that any conservative Prime Ministers or Premiers will be required to only take leave during June and July, though of course there is the risk of floods that may happen which they could get blamed for.

Jesus, this country is a sick mess. It wasn't that long ago that political point scoring was off limits for this stuff. Labor and The Greens have certainly changed that. Ironically Andrews has now had to call on the CFA after spending the last couple of years trying to dismantle it.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

george65 (02-01-20),LeroyPatrol (02-01-20),lsemmens (03-01-20),Tiny (02-01-20),tollspd (02-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

Jesus, this country is a sick mess. It wasn't that long ago that political point scoring was off limits for this stuff. Labor and The Greens have certainly changed that. Ironically Andrews has now had to call on the CFA after spending the last couple of years trying to dismantle it.
    OT but its not the country so much but unsocial media that the MSM feeds upon (because they are lazy c**nts)

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

admin (04-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I saw a comment yesterday asking if all those that were carrying on about morrison not being here when the country burned had noticed that the fires had got worse since he returned home and if they had got the point him being here or not was completely irrelevant.

Thanks

Thanks Leroy,

I didn't even know that FB page existed.....guess i'll have to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century and join FB one day.

Good to see that Elvis is on the job.....that small fire at The Horn could have turned nasty very easily.

Been listening to ABC Wodonga for updates....they had a phone-in going on.....several tourists from Mallacoota rang in.....bloody unbelievable......grizzling their heads off because no-one has come around and wiped their bum for them. City people!!

Got both vehicles fuelled up, and plenty of food, water, etc. in the Hiace campervan.

Got a 25mm fire hose straight off our bore, and it throws a mean arc.

Now just a matter of sit, watch, and wait.

One thing is for sure.....when this is all over I'll be pushing hard to get that controlled burn done up there.

@Isemmens.....yep, many's the time I've been sorely tempted to hop over the back fence with my 20" Stihl in hand
    Ranger has plenty of fuel. Was only thinking of that earlier. We are all filling tubs of the important stuff tomorrow and will keep at the front door. The girls are all heading to Melb early Sat. I'll hang around. If anything comes I'll just leave. Only a house, and Ducati's.....what am I saying!!!

Getting SMS alerts for the area now too! I went to the Tallangatta meeting this arvo. It was only informative for the people that haven't been keeping up to date via emergency app or DELWP fb page, ABC Radio etc. But interesting how fast the fire moved on Tues taking over 110k ha. That surprised the CFA. Other thing I found alarming was the amount of dead stock that needs to be dealt with. What remains now have no food. Trucks were rolling into town with hay/fodder. The rescue phase has started.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

lsemmens (03-01-20),Thala Dan (02-01-20)

Thanks

oh and there was a fire at Wooragee this arvo on the Beechworth-Wodonga Rd. I had to keep an eye on that while at Tallagatta as the kids were at home. The all clear came in while I was there. Keep safe peeps.
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

lsemmens (03-01-20),Thala Dan (02-01-20)

Thanks

Leroy,

Yep, have had two SMS - first one for Upper Ovens, then one for NE Vic......think there's a bit of (justifiable) arse-covering going on, particularly in light of what happened in Mallacoota, etc.

Wx is dead calm at the moment, so wouldn't expect too much movement overnight, and perhaps might even squeeze in tomorrow as well....but I suspect that Saturday might be a different kettle of fish.
    If either the Corryong and/or Abbeyard fires are ever going to make it down here I suspect it's going to be on Saturday.

Saw that Wooragee fire on the Vic emergency website - good to know it's out.

Had a great start to the new year....in the process of packing the car for the fires almost had an argument with a 3' Brown who was parked in the shade between the house and the garage.....you know it's bloody hot when even the snakes come to rest in the shade

The most aggravating part of this entire episode has been having to listen to the ABC reporters mangle the local town names....time after time....you think somebody would tap them on the shoulder.

I know what you mean about the Ducatis......it's bloody hard to accept that you can't take it all with you....and even harder to accept that it mightn't be there when you get back.

Going to be a restless night...will be up a couple of times to check the latest...then see what the morrow brings....intend to hang out until Saturday if possible......am well equipped to defend, but not by myself......if no help looks to be forthcoming, I'm outta here.

Catch you tomorrow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (02-01-20),lsemmens (03-01-20)

Thanks

Meanwhile "Sydney man fined $40,000 for chopping down 74 trees on north shore" see

This guy hired contractors to cut down trees because he was worried that his place was vulnerable should there be a fire in his area. The trees were not visible from the road so cutting them down affected nobody else. Yet the Council placed a preservation order over those trees. He is an aged pensioner and he used his saving of $16,000 to pay to have the trees cut down to protect his house.

Mr Chia paid the contractors $16,000 to raze the trees, which were covered by a Ku-Ring-Gai Council tree preservation order.
    I think the Council should be fined to making such a silly order. Perhaps the judge should chip in also.

PS. The poor bugger has had to sell his house to pay the fine and the legal costs of the Counsil, definitely something wrong here.
    Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 02-01-20 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks

Typical SMH Bullshit fake news.

"A Sydney pensioner has been fined $40,000 for chopping down 74 trees on his north shore property and a nearby golf course,

to cut down trees including black she oaks, wattle and Sydney red gums in October 2014.

One of the central matters in the 25-day hearing of the case in 2018,"

What a crock of rabble rousing by the SMH.
    The guy had trees cut down on the north shore including wattle in 2014 on land that wasn't his and this was all settled in 2018.
    Just trying to generate click bait riding on the back of the current fires.

These reporter bastards have less shame then the greens and all their carry on and grandstanding on the fires.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-01-20),lsemmens (03-01-20),VroomVroom (03-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Typical SMH Bullshit fake news.
    Well George there is only one thing to say about you, you're certainly well balanced, Chip on both shoulders.

Hope you never get fined for anything, surely us old guys have to stick together? Old chap fined for cutting down trees in a bushfire prone area.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

Incredible pic. Saw it yesterday. Do you know where it is?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    Well George there is only one thing to say about you, you're certainly well balanced, Chip on both shoulders.

Hope you never get fined for anything, surely us old guys have to stick together? Old chap fined for cutting down trees in a bushfire prone area.
    Prefer to be well balanced than a completely left leaning softcock that falls for any MSM sob story and is willing to fk the country with their bleeding heart do gooder attitude.

Being an old guy does not mean what this bloke or any other oldie does is exempt from being wrong. He didn't just remove trees from his land but other peoples as well. Good job he didn't have an issue with someone's house spoiling his view or he might have had that demolished. But if that happened, Oh, he's a poor old guy, just leave him alone right?
    The fact it took 8 days to cut the trees down also tells anyone with a clue that he was going well overboard with reducing risk to his property. If he was so worried about fires, he could have cleared his own little block and spent the money putting in a tank and pumps with sprinklers . My father's neighbours pose risks to his properties with their bush growing everywhere but are you suggesting he has the right to go onto their land and remove the trees or do what ever he wants because he is worried about a fire in their property and because he's old? Is that what you are suggesting?
    Leftards are well known for having no regard for facts when it comes to getting their way so I spose he would just need to get a few onside and he'd be right.

In any case this is a bullshit old new story designed for riding on the back of and sensationalising the current fires. Why else would a paper be running a story that was done and dusted over a year ago other than to suck in the gullible do gooders who will fall for every sob story they read and never check the details behind it?
    Spose if you can pull in the weak minded with Climate change greenwashing, you can sell them shit sandwiches without the bread and they will line up for that as well.

Looks like it worked really well to upset the rabble rousers and lefty do gooders.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Incredible pic. Saw it yesterday. Do you know where it is?
    No I don't Leroy
    But some serious energy there!!!!!

So what's next in Australia, it will cost you $6000 a year to insure your home :-(
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast