Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Burn burn burn......

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default Burn burn burn......

Now it's Victoria's turn. It was a case of not if but when especially as they didn't get the east Gippsland fires under control last month which were started by lightning.
    Just got the notification the Princess Hwy is now closed. So is the Omeo Hwy, Bonang Rd.
    PITA as I was going to ride down the Bonang again next weekend. Only did that and up around Reedy Flat, Ensay etc a few weeks back. Yep it was very smokely then like we were riding into the front!
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 30-12-19 at 05:55 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yeah, East Gippsland looks horrific

So far we have been spared in the SW
    But the lightening has only just started
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Obviously Scott Morrison is behind it again with his climate changing

Interesting that no asks where Daniel Andrews is ?

Agreed leroy, why not get it under control last month ? And all the Vic governbment gives is statements like we "we have water bombers on stand by". Ummm....how about powering them up and sending them ? if you can afford to waste 1.3 billion dollars not building a freeway out of spite, the least you can do is put a fire out.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

bss904 (31-12-19),george65 (30-12-19),LeroyPatrol (30-12-19),mtv (30-12-19),Tiny (30-12-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

The only upside I can see to all this is it will be a long time before we have anything like it again.
    I also hope a lot of people like green infected councils who won't let people make their properties safe get their arses handed to them well and truly.
    I hope there are important lessons learned for the future as well but given this is so far from our First Rodeo with major bushfires, I think I'm being overly optomysitc there.

The yanks have managed to infect our Culture even with this now. If I see any more internet/ SM pop up shit about Australia's " Wildfires" ( and I'm not talking US news) I'll blow a gasket.
    It's BUSHFIRES Here. Always has been till recently. IF you can't call them by their proper name, Fk off somewhere else and infect them with your culture destroying Americanisation.
    And learn how to write the bloody date in a logical way the same as every other fker in the world does instead of trying to be " Special".
    You already are!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Yeah, East Gippsland looks horrific

So far we have been spared in the SW
    But the lightening has only just started
    oh great lightning.

They are saying the fires in Gippy are creating their own lightning

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    The only upside I can see to all this is it will be a long time before we have anything like it again.
    I also hope a lot of people like green infected councils who won't let people make their properties safe get their arses handed to them well and truly.
    I hope there are important lessons learned for the future as well but given this is so far from our First Rodeo with major bushfires, I think I'm being overly optomysitc there.
    It is all cyclical. Burn, grow back, fuel builds up, burn again.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Obviously Scott Morrison is behind it again with his climate changing

Interesting that no asks where Daniel Andrews is ?

Agreed leroy, why not get it under control last month ? And all the Vic governbment gives is statements like we "we have water bombers on stand by". Ummm....how about powering them up and sending them ? if you can afford to waste 1.3 billion dollars not building a freeway out of spite, the least you can do is put a fire out.
    Isn't he up in Canberra talking to Scotty about getting CFA members a better deal??? :P

They should have been smashing those fires with water/retardant last month. Yep it costs money but the cost will be far higher now. It is so friggin dry up here you'd have to be blind to not see what's going to happen this fire season. Just look up north in Qld when it all started.

And yes $1.3B....I'd love to run a company and make that sort of money without lifting a tool.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    It is all cyclical. Burn, grow back, fuel builds up, burn again.
    Might be time to concrete it all over,

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Members of the fire brigade have repeatedly been asking for help from our military.
    Military Help has been denied from the Scott Morrison government and in particular Dutton, claiming the military can't do anything.
    One member of the fire brigade who wrote an open letter in our local rag was a former military officer who would know what the military can and can not do better than this swine Dutton.
    So we spend Billions on our useless military fighting other country's wars while we have to resort to volunteers to fight fires and save lives and properties in OUR COUNTRY!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 30-12-19 at 11:31 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (31-12-19),Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Very sad to hear another CFA volunteer has lost his life fighting a fire east of Albury
    Its just been reported his wife is pregnant with thier child

Re: admins comments about sending in water bombers
    I was chatting to a good mate that joined a CFA near here this year, i was saying to him there must be a good business in restocking and maintaining the CFA equipment at each station
    He replied that his station were no longer receiving inventory as the money had run out
    They have no suction hoses to draw water from a water point out in the field.....

Pretty hard to imagine this type of situation could happen, especially in a High Fire Danger area and in this day and age

Like many CFA members, he spent all of yesterday's 40 degree + heat waiting at the station

Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 08:10 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Members of the fire brigade have repeatedly been asking for help from our military.
    Military Help has been denied from the Scott Morrison government and in particular Dutton, claiming the military can't do anything.
    One member of the fire brigade who wrote an open letter in our local rag was a former military officer who would know what the military can and can not do better than this swine Dutton.
    So we spend Billions on our useless military fighting other country's wars while we have to resort to volunteers to fight fires and save lives and properties in OUR COUNTRY!
    The CFA here has quite a few ex Army members

But the protocol for fighting fires or the "Risk Management" is what has changed
    Its just about saving lives now.... Evacuate Evacuate Evacuate, then when the human risk has been removed, let it burn...
    Protect assets where possible.

Here is a SMS text from a CFA Captain to his members sent yesterday.
    It is a very small regional station not far from here

Hi All,

Wurdale is NOT on Local Strike Team, but we will probably get a message to man the station mid am.

Conditions will be bad by 1000, and peak at 1200 hours.

Tower will be manned at 0800.

FFDI tipped to reach a max of 175 – the worst conditions since Black Saturday.

Forest Rate of Spread 2.5 kph with a flame height of 32m if it gets going. Under these conditions forest firefighting is NOT an option
    Plenty of long stubble around which will make for exciting grass fires.

Planes may be difficult to get on scene to assist.

People turned out of and away from FALLS said to be camping all through the bush.

Crews, start hydration as early as possible, and no member at less than 100% to be on tankers.

Take care, hit if hard when and where you can, get out if things looking hairy, keep hydrated, look out for each other.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 07:06 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (31-12-19),Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The irony in all this

Is for the passed 18 months i've wanted to do some trips through the Vic High Country
    Seems the tracks are either seasonally closed or the place is on fire..... Its one or the other!!!

This summer i planned to camp at Willis Camp area, which is now in the middle of one of the Gippsland Fire Grounds that is evacuated

Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 08:09 AM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I thing i notice and have noticed it time and time again, is how unreliable the Vic Emergency Map is!!!!
    It is practically useless

Current Map

Yet its burning at the Mallacouta Airport as we speak

Or the Fire registered at Little River yesterday, that turned out just be some dust

CFA in the Bruthen area have lost comms to a lot of fire ground units
    Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Reaching the point where I might just pack the fly gear away for the rest of the season.

Had a crack at a couple of streams prior to the SHTF – they were low and warm, real end-of-summer conditions but in late Spring.
    Hate to think what they’d be like now.

Trouble now is, even if we do get some rain to freshen things up, the waterways will be running black with ash – big fish kills on the way.

Some of the best water in the State, around Corryong, is now under threat.

It probably seems a bit trivial to be bemoaning the loss of camping, bike riding, and fishing opportunities compared to the problems of those at the front line…..but it’s also indicative of how the lifestyle of many Australians will be affected in the near future as the inevitable changes advance.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (31-12-19)

Thanks

Just spoke to the widow of an old fishing mate in Corryong.

She was moved down to the local hospital at 0700 today due to breathing difficulties caused by smoke.

They now have a spot fire at the back of the hospital

Premium Member
    Thanks

Vic Emerg Map just updated

No wonder the people of Mallacoota are at the boat ramp surrounded by fire trucks

Last edited by ol' boy; 31-12-19 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    I thing i notice and have noticed it time and time again, is how unreliable the Vic Emergency Map is!!!!
    It is practically useless
    I have commented the same on The RFS " Fires Near me " maps .
    They are so inaccurate I feel they are more danger than Benefit. With the fires Round my Father at Taree and the Fires near my mate at orangeville, They were hopeless.

Speaking to my mate up north, they were a contributing factor in a lot of homes up there being lost. Places were burnt to the ground and 2 DAYS later the maps were still showing the fires 30 KM away. Yes, I know they move but by the same token with him and my father, they also showed Fires in places they still haven't been 2 months later.

The warnings seem to have a lot more accuracy to them but that said, we have received a couple of warnings here to evacuate. There is no possible way we could have a fire anywhere near here bar some very weak grass fires in the paddocks that go back Miles where the horses and cows are. There are a few small, isolated pockets of bush far away from anything but a look at any satellite pic says there is no way anything is going to cause a threat within 10 KM of here if not more.
    I have set up tanks, a fire pump and hoses because fire is my worst fear and I have the wind put up me by all this but there is No way I'd ever leave. If there is any threat here it would only be from ember attack and the lawn catching fire and I need to be here to deal with that.

I have put in the resources so I can both do that and sleep at night so I'm not going anywhere.
    The local Uni evacuated the other week. I gave one of the directors a big serve and sent him a screen shot of the surrounding are satelite map and asked him, Whats going to burn? Also pointed out all the dams and tanks the uni has and says how could that not be defended against a grass fire which is all you could have especially when half the water bombing aircraft around Sydney are based 2 and 5 Min away? I said whoever made this decision needs to be replaced with a Leader not a limp wristed panic merchant. bHe said the decision came from the top in Sydney, not him. I said I know you wouldn't do it but my comment stands towards whoever did order it.

Of course like most people in Sydney the worst they had to deal with was some blackened leaves on the greenest watered lawns around here.

The maps are a good idea in Theory but unless they can get it more accurate and timely, I think the things pose more danger than they do safety.

The way I have been monitoring the fires and spent some time watching them is with the Flight 24 Aircraft tracking app. I can see what is what in the sky, height, speed and where they have been flying.. I can see where they are dumping water which is often outside the map area. Maybe it's preventative and maybe it's spot fires but if the aircraft are there, something is going on. Was doing that on Boxing day at my Friends place at Hilltop. They had just been allowed back in and Elvis and the C130 were very bust around there still.

The met also has so reasonably updated satellite pics that one can see where the fires are going through the day.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Mallacoota

At 9am this morning

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (31-12-19),Thala Dan (31-12-19)

Thanks

Father-to-be dies after 'fire tornado' lifts 10-tonne truck off ground

"A young volunteer firefighter and soon-to-be father was killed after a "freakish weather event" lifted his fire truck off the ground, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) said.

Samuel McPaul's wife Megan is expecting their first child in early May

Three volunteer firefighters have been killed in the past two weeks

Samuel McPaul, 28, died yesterday after his truck flipped in the Green Valley blaze in Jingellic, 70 kilometres east of Albury near the NSW-Victoria border.

In a statement, the RFS said strong winds flipped the vehicle over and caused it to land on its roof."

If I may make so bold as to quote the British Bulldog:

"Never was so much owed by so many to so few"

R.I.P.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (31-12-19),lsemmens (31-12-19)

Thanks

very tragic. I couldn't believe what I was hearing last night. Truck was lifted from the back over the top apparently.

• Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast