Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Burn burn burn......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Prefer to be well balanced than a completely left leaning softcock that falls for any MSM sob story
    I'd love to have a battle of wits with you, but you're unarmed.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    No I don't Leroy
    But some serious energy there!!!!!

So what's next in Australia, it will cost you $6000 a year to insure your home :-(

I was only thinking about insurance this morning and how much more it will cost. Obviously with the bush almost opposite us we are prob considered high risk

Here is a pic I took earlier. The smoke is bad. There is a big hill in that smoke but you can't see it!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

So what's next in Australia, it will cost you $6000 a year to insure your home :-(
    The likely thing is they won't insure a lot of people at all now as they don't touch a lot of other things they consider high risk or not profitable enough.
    They are also likely to want houses to come up to current fire protection standards which homes not recently built won't be able to comply with.

Thanks

just to make mine comply I'd need to replace the tiled roof! Big $$$

I think my mate said it was $15,000 to insure his pub in Bellbird Creek the other week. That's down Orbost way amongst it all.

Thanks

I see on my flight app they have sent one of the water bomber jets down to Kangaroo Island.
    That can't be good. Also a couple of crop dusters buzzing round there.
    The c130 is at Geelong airport right now. One of the erickson Choppers is back out near the hilltop fire again as is one of the Ag bombers. The Chinook is coming back into picton and the DC10 Just left Richmond and is heading somewhere south.

43 predicted here tomorrow, don't think it's a lot cooler now. Going to be another horror day for sure.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (03-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

43 predicted here tomorrow, don't think it's a lot cooler now. Going to be another horror day for sure.
    Raining here last night @ 11.30 and had to put the trackies and jumper on it was so cold

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Raining here last night @ 11.30 and had to put the trackies and jumper on it was so cold
    send it here. 45 forecast for tomorrow.

Edit: now revised to 46 deg
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 03-01-20 at 10:40 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

I see on my flight app they have sent one of the water bomber jets down to Kangaroo Island.
    That can't be good. Also a couple of crop dusters buzzing round there.
    Geez, I can see why they were down there now!

Even Islands are Burning. When the hell is this going to stop??

Did something unusual tonight and watched the news. The fires down south are unbelievable. People being evacuated by the Navy.
    The water bombers near me were flat out again today. The fire that was near here a month ago has flared up again in the areas it was in before.

The aftermath of all this is going to be felt for 10 years. So much for the new decade. 3 days into it I think it's going to be a very tough one in Oz.
    What's left of Oz anyway.

Thanks

and this is the start of January.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

From todays paper....

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

george65 (04-01-20),LeroyPatrol (04-01-20),lsemmens (04-01-20),mi_tasol (04-01-20),mkhannah (04-01-20),ol' boy (04-01-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    From todays paper....

Amen to that! Strangely enough, in all my Years in the Top End we never had any major out of control fires. At the end of the wet, before everything got too dry there were always controlled burns of the spear grass which rarely got out of control.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I few CFA lads from my area are assembling at Leithbridge airport Monday morning.
    Being flown to the Mt Buller fire for night relief work....
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

We have our own share of idiots here of course, but this one wasn't elected by you guys..........................

The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Seems the extreme weather they predicted for today was nothing like what they said
    Very cool conditions in the southern half of the state

Some strength to the SW though

Orbost 22 degrees, Mallacoota 22 degrees

Pretty hot on the northern side of the Great Divide though, Bright 43.3 degrees, Albury 45.2 .... Jesus!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 04-01-20 at 03:01 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    We have our own share of idiots here of course, but this one wasn't elected by you guys..........................

Thats nothing. It can now be revealed global warming, Scott Morrison, coal mining and other things are in fact no responsible for the fires !

NSW bushfires: police set to charge a dozen with arson

NSW Rural Fire Service Inspector Ben Shepherd has revealed investigators are close to charging more than a dozen suspected arsonists believed to have deliberately lit bushfires as the state remains in the grip of an ongoing bushfire crisis.

With tireless firefighters continuing to battle more than 100 blazes across NSW, Mr Shepherd warned the RFS was working “hand-in-hand with police” and noted that the state has “some of the toughest arson laws and penalties” in the country.

It comes amid revelations at least 56 people have already been charged or cautioned with 71 bushfire-related offences since August, with 16 ogoing investigations into suspicious fires, including a blaze that threatened the rim of suburban Sydney in South Turramurra, on Sydney’s Upper North Shore, on November 12.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (04-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

It comes amid revelations at least 56 people have already been charged or cautioned with 71 bushfire-related offences since August, with 16 ogoing investigations into suspicious fires, including a blaze that threatened the rim of suburban Sydney in South Turramurra, on Sydney’s Upper North Shore, on November 12.
    That's definitely not the narrative the lefty/ greens/ climate alarmists/ labour supporters want known.

I wonder if it will come out or the MSM will report if any of these arsonists are associated with any green/ climate change organisations?
    I'll bet if any are the MSM will do their best to hush it up.

Thanks

Seems the extreme weather they predicted for today was nothing like what they said
    It did here, with Interest!
    Predicted 45 here. just went 45.7 at the local observation station. 10% Humidity. I walked out and could feel the heat but wasn't sweating a lot so I knew the humidity was low. Dry everything out even more.

I was recording higher temps and was wondering if my thermometers were on the fritz, all 3 of them. Seems they weren't as it's always warmer here than down the road where the measurements are taken... and colder too. I was consistently getting 48o+ no matter what shaded spot I took reading from. That's as hot as I have ever been in. Last time was some years back on a day in Feb. Car thermo said 47 and I thought it was wrong despite it normally being very accurate. just as I was thinking it was haywire, they announced the temp on the radio at the very place I was as being 48.

I have some temp guns I have calibrated to be quite accurate. walking around taking some temp measurements of different things was enlightening.
    Tree trunks on the permanently shadowed side at 50o. Under the tin roof on the verandah at 73. Solar panels at.... 81! These panels are on a ground mount, still tilted to winter angle and have more than a meter unobstructed clearance behind them bar a couple of 40mm mounting rails. The air coming out the Condenser of my AC was 54o around mid day > I turned on the water misters and that dropped the discharge air temp to 40. Big improvement although I was surprised it didn't drop it more.

House walls which are a very light colour in the sun were 56o Feel cool on the inside but that could be the insulation ( partially) or it could just be the AC.
    Roof cavity with the sarking and the batts was over 56o. Looks like some cloud has come over so the temp will probably fall pretty quick now.

Certainly an interesting day, hopefully not too much of a catastrophic one.
    I noticed on the RFS website earlier there were no major alerts which was surprising but there are a stack of them now. :0(

I also noticed one in a parkland area well in the suburbs. Thought to myself that has to be lit. Going by the post above, that seems more than likley.

Thanks

Very cool conditions in the southern half of the state

Some strength to the SW though

Orbost 22 degrees, Mallacoota 22 degrees

Pretty hot on the northern side of the Great Divide though, Bright 43.3 degrees, Albury 45.2 .... Jesus!
    I was up and Bright and Myrtleford earlier and 47.5 deg on the big Kato. Was like being in a oven. Very very windy and gusty. Wind seems to have turned where I am and seems to be WSW.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (04-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Thats nothing. It can now be revealed global warming, Scott Morrison, coal mining and other things are in fact no responsible for the fires !

NSW bushfires: police set to charge a dozen with arson

NSW Rural Fire Service Inspector Ben Shepherd has revealed investigators are close to charging more than a dozen suspected arsonists believed to have deliberately lit bushfires as the state remains in the grip of an ongoing bushfire crisis.

With tireless firefighters continuing to battle more than 100 blazes across NSW, Mr Shepherd warned the RFS was working “hand-in-hand with police” and noted that the state has “some of the toughest arson laws and penalties” in the country.

They should be tied to a stake in the line of the fire.

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

enf (04-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I was up and Bright and Myrtleford earlier and 47.5 deg on the big Kato. Was like being in a oven.
    How was the temp on the Kato?

• Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast