Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux for ancient morons ?

Thanks

Default Linux for ancient morons ?

I was taught Microsoft at MS-DOS stage by my husband (who was a terrific teacher); and we then progressed through all the Windows versions until XP, during which period my beloved bloke died.
    So here I am with that knowledge somewhere in what I laughingly call my brain, and no intelligent input from outside since then.
    I've loved Windows 7. I've loathed Windows 8. I've had to put up with Windows 10, as reverting to 7 has meant I'm about to be given the death-stroke.
    I should love to become a Linux person, but I do not believe myself capable of dealing with it.
    lsimmons and hinekadon insist that Linux is an O/S entirely manageable by someone just like me.
    I am collecting opinions on this, if you would be so good ..
    Last edited by M-R; 03-01-20 at 08:38 PM.
    I'll tell thee everything I can: there's little to relate ...

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

just google ubuntu 18.04 its easy and nice as apple pie

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

M-R (03-01-20)

Thanks

Sorry, mate - got an 'a' in where there should've been an 'e'. Apologies.
    I'm not going to thank you UNTIL I'VE CONSULTED DR GOOGLE ! [grin]
    __________________________________________________ ___
    Well, I looked at
    and found it very interesting indeed ! - until I got to the part where Titus talks about MS Outlook. Sighh ..
    Outlook is central to my entire life's scheduling/arranging as well as my email: Titus basically says that Thunderbird sucks, and I agree.
    So what now ?
    Well, if I can get a second laptop - one that I like, that is - I will do my best to have it run on Linux (Ubuntu ?) Mint (whatever is the current version), and use it for all my browsing - pretty extensive - and movies, etc.
    Since I'll still have Office 365 on this 'orrible laptop, I'll use that for email.
    And keep my fingers crossed that Microsoft gets around (as Titus thinks they will) to Office for Linux. THAT'll be the day !
    There are many more videos - several by Titus, several by TechGumbo - for me to watch before getting serious about this. Well, I can't anyway until I get the second laptop ......... hang on a tick ! - why not go the virtual route for installing ? Then I'd have everything on the one laptop !
    OK: that's my next topic to study.
    Goodonyer hinekadon, and many thanks for taking the trouble !
    Last edited by M-R; 03-01-20 at 03:44 PM. Reason: additional input

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

the linux distributors have made it almost foolproof these days for linux to be installed by the average desktop user and to be able to "do" the usual things.

Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint....they are all pretty much the same. Same desktop options, same applications.

I would put my toe in the water if I was you, but use a second computer first. Install, play, learn. Use different flavors and make up your own mind which you prefer.

Me, I used to prefer Fedora distros but now, I like Linux Mint with a cinnamon desktop theme. Even on my raspberry PI computers. But thats another story.........
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (03-01-20)

Thanks

Red face

Hmm, yes: perhaps it would be more sensible not to muddy up the water by trying too much tech all at once.
    So I'll cross my fingers that the 'new' laptop arrives before I turn older and greyer so as to be able to have both O/Ss running.
    Thanks, Porkop !

Thanks

Can't beat puppy Linux, fast safe and secure. I'm now using 3headed dog version.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mix View Post
    Can't beat puppy Linux, fast safe and secure. I'm now using 3headed dog version.
    Jesus. I'd better quit while I'm ahead, I think - or I'm going to be told that umpteen .. err .. distros (?) are the best.
    Or I shall at least go back and view Titus' video on this matter: not meaning to insult anyone, but simply that the video's title is something like "which one is best for me ?".

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M-R View Post

! - until I got to the part where Titus talks about MS Outlook. Sighh ..
    Outlook is central to my entire life's scheduling/arranging as well as my email

This is roughly your single biggest hurdle, regardless of linux distro.... unlearning the office/outlook dependency & learning other ways of achieving the same ends..

Thanks

Yes, agreed. Chris Titus says as much - but with particular emphasis on Outlook.
    Word and Excel I'm pretty sure can be .. well, not duplicated, but replaced with lesser versions.
    And I don't use any of the other softwares in Office 365: this renders me apoplectic every December when MS removes $90 from my bank account.
    Dumb question that's just popped into the ancient cerebellum: since I'm actually an outlook.com user who pulls that webmail into MS Outlook, do I even need worry ? Do some distros include outlook.com ?
    Or am I being mindless ..?

Banned

Thanks

most linux distros couldnt give a dam what email you use . there are excellent libre office tool to use and the spreadsheet is reputedly much easier to work and the onboard help is great wont take you long to master it ! no sweat

Thanks

i have only of late been playing with linux on a spare comp i have and a raspberry pi.

I can say that i knew nothing of linux apart from dream code
    but the new ubuntu is easy to intsall and use.

I have found there are many apps that are similar to what i have used in windows
    which makes it less daunting.

It does take a while to get used to the different desktop and apps location etc
    also installing stuff isnt as straight forward as it is in windows but a google search
    usually has the answer and most times the code string to just paste into
    the command prompt..

People rave about it because they say you dont have to put up with constant updates etc like in
    windows well they are blowing smoke up your ass , every couple days i will have a popup
    letting me know there is an update .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    most linux distros couldnt give a dam what email you use . there are excellent libre office tool to use and the spreadsheet is reputedly much easier to work and the onboard help is great wont take you long to master it ! no sweat
    It's not so much the actual email, hinekadon, as MS Outlook's organising capacity. I have all my teriffically exciting appointments listed by date and time and category; as well as the email folders, the contact lists, and so on and so forth. The Calendar is vital to me.

Still, I could always go manual, eh ? [gasp !]

P.S. I was being ironic about my appointments. Dentist, podiatrist, GP, optometrist .. get the picture ?
    Sighh ..
    Last edited by M-R; 03-01-20 at 09:27 PM.

Banned

Thanks

yep theres a calendar in ubuntu free and a contacts list as well

Thanks

I'm definitely sold on Linux: I can't conceive of how delightful it must be not to be surrounded on all sides by Microsoft.
    So it now comes down to laying hands on a second laptop with an onboard optical drive).
    I'm waiting on word from the bloke who used to be my IT support when I lived in Sydney; but I won't hear from him till Monday.
    From me, over and out - with many thanks to everyone who took part in this Fred.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

There will be as many opinions as to what distro (distribution) is best as there are grains of sand in the sea. I use Mint, and am a member of Mintforums which is every bit as helpful as here. Outlook.com is just the latest iteration of hotmail. FWIW I use Thunderbird as my email client, it does have a calendaring function, but I have not used it much so cannot comment on that.

Your best start would be to download a copy of Linux from You can then verify the the version you downloaded the previous link was for Linux Mint Cinnamon 64bit ver 19.3. Once that is done, you can then load it onto a USB stick or CD. You'll follow the instructions for Windows.

Once done, you can then re-boot your machine from that stick and play with Linux without installing it. Once you decide that it is for you the next step will be to install it. I'll be happy to give you instructions when you decide that you are ready for that step.

If you were a few hundred miles closer, I'd be happy to help help you.

Now, to something way more serious, how are you standing up with all the fires in Victoria? I trust that there are none in your vicinity.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

dashinson (03-01-20)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

You can always install a linux distro into a virtual box under windows. Have a play that way without disturbing your existing windows system.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

Yes, you hairy old man: but Chris Titus points out that you need do nothing whatsoever about them unless you want to. He makes quite a point about that !

Thanks

'Morning, Leigh ..
    No, none at all in Geelong - although there was smoke haze and a strong bushfire smell all day yesterday (as predicted by BOM: how do they know these things ?).
    Surely you've had your own over there in dry-as-tinder SA ..? (Reminds me of what I considered a wonderful ABC telly drama I saw years ago: "Rain Shadow". Gosh, it was good !)
    Ho yairs, I remember clearly that you run Mint (did you also write 'cinnamon' ? - I wish I could see what I'm replying to while I'm replying to it !), and am more than somewhat predisposed in that direction, as several of the Linux YouTubers also recommend it.
    Why do desktops have different names ?
    Why isn't one of them called 'cardamom' ?
    [grin]
    Do not encourage me to do aught ere I have the additional laptop in my ancient hands, man ! - I will only do something dreadful, I know it.
    And now that I have forgotten everything else you wrote, I shall cease and desist.
    Pro tem.

Thanks

Yup, but I will stuff something up.
    Always do under circ.s of that nature.
    Thank you, Porkop !

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

There are three main flavours of Mint. Cinnamon which is the most feature rich and "demanding" (on system resources - but waay less than windwoes). Mate - which has a slightly more Linux "feel" about it (so I understand) and XFCE which is the lightweight distribution for under powered hardware. Only one of my machines is running XFCE ( a core2 duo with 2gB RAM) all the rest are running Cinnamon and none are newer than 5 Years old. Most were new when XP was still king. All that I have noticed between the two desktop environments is a layout change and a couple of tools that rarely get used or ever needed are missing.

The idea of running it in virtual box has merit, but adds a layer of complexity that is not needed. Using a Live disk (USB or CD) is way easier and makes NO CHANGES to your system at all. You just boot from the media (remember the old days of DOS when you needed a boot disk) and away you go!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

porkop (04-01-20)

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast