Thread: Here is the new, big battery break through (again)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Here is the new, big battery break through (again)

Another big battery break thru, again. One of these will eventually stick, this time a local product
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Does anybody know of a full list of these ''battery breakthroughs for say the last 10 years?

Thanks

lithium sulfur fire AWESOME.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,053 Times in 3,334 Posts

Pity they can't teach the bloke how to spell. Monash University is an Australian institution, sulfur (sic.) is and always should be spelt sulPHur! We aren't lazy Yanks!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (09-01-20),eaglem (09-01-20),Godzilla (09-01-20),SS Dave (09-01-20),Uncle Fester (09-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madtech View Post
    Does anybody know of a full list of these ''battery breakthroughs for say the last 10 years?
    Is there a 100 Page limit to the list or do you want the full encyclopedia length account?

Here's how to spot a typical Bullshit, Publicity/ investor attracting advertisement disguised as news. This "breakthrough" is a perfect example.....

Batteries made with sulfur could be cheaper, greener and hold more energy

See how they use the word "Could" which sound innocent enough even if you do notice it but its the get out of jail word the whole article depends on.
    If it doesn't happen, no problem, their arse was covered but the know most people will take no notice of that word and will have it in their head that this miracle cure is just round the corner and the problems of the world are about to be solved.

If only!

Premium Member

Thanks

First thing i noticed was the "could"word

• The Following User Says Thank You to allover For This Useful Post:

eaglem (09-01-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    First thing i noticed was the "could"word
    That is known as a "Cover my arse" word
    The Eagle Flies High!

• The Following User Says Thank You to eaglem For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (09-01-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,516 Posts

The same article, word for word if I remember correctly was posted on the ABC news site a few days ago.

What makes me want to repeat my food more than SULFUR is that they don't consider this battery a Li-Ion battery in the article.
    Every electrolytic process with Lithium involves LITHIUM IONS. When will these numbskulls get it !
    The article praises that this battery could have hundreds of charge cycles. Guess what, the centuries old Lead acid battery has hundreds of charge cycles too.
    The EV industry requires and already uses batteries with 5000 cycles @80%DoD !

As such I consider this article dodgy, to say it mildly.

...but I am not saying this 1960's technology has no future and many are working on it.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member

Thanks

The same article, word for word if I remember correctly was posted on the ABC news site a few days ago.

Yep plagiarism is alive and well, there was another source I read that was nearly word identical

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,858 Times in 9,044 Posts

Yep plagiarism is alive and well, there was another source I read that was nearly word identical
    This sounds like a chicken and egg article on a no tech news week. Lazy reporting.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (10-01-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

All I want to know is who was the egg that laid the chicken and Is He going to lay any more ?????

Thanks
    Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madtech View Post
    Do you know Moore's law that said computer processing power would double every 18 months.

Yeah, well this is Trash's law that says battery technology improves at 2% per annum.

Every 50 years batteries double in performance.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following User Says Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

Reschs (18-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    Yeah, well this is Trash's law that says battery technology improves at 2% per annum.

Every 50 years batteries double in performance.
    Probably pretty close to the mark.

I can't believe people are still going on with crap about batteries for electric cars getting cheaper and more affordable in the future. The bogan mentality of ignorance parroting media hype and corporate agendas without having a clue about reality and the factors involved is astounding.

Why in the fk would a product is Huge demand with limited raw material supply from unstable sources which is a filthy product to refine get cheaper the more it is in demand? The story goes that as they get more popular they will become cheaper. People cite the price drop in Lipo and related batteries in recent times as proff but ignore the recovery of development costs and seem to think the price will just keep falling till they are paying you to take the things away.

Normal lead acid batteries are made in the hundreds of Millions each year but every time I go to buy one they are more expensive not cheaper. Computer have fallen greatly in price since the days of the first pentiums but they aren't giving them away these days.
    Why people think that things that are going to be in incredible demand for the foreseeable future are going to get cheap I have no idea.

I would Guarantee that EV's purchased in the next 3 years will be uneconomical to replace the battery packs in when the ones they come with are at end of life.
    I think that will probably apply for any EV purchased in the next 10 years which will blow the window out to 20.

It's not just EV's that will provide huge demand for Batteries. It's power tools , Business and medical equipment, home batteries, backup batteries, Phones, storage applications, computers and so it goes.

The dreamers also talk about electric planes and ships etc but have no idea how far away the energy density of current batteries are from fossil fuels, even lower energy density ones like Coal let alone oil. It would take at very least a 500% improvement in battery energy density to come close to being near any competition with with liquid fuels. Even in stationary useage like energy storage, the current battery technologies arent even remotely feasible for real energy storage.
    The endlessly over hyped and hideously expensive big battery in SA can power 30K homes ( out of the states 180K homes) for all of 1 hour.
    Try and power all the homes for an hour and You'll need a battery 6x the size ( and probably 10X the cost) and try and power all those homes Just over night and you will need a battery a whopping 72X the size.

Now if you want to power the country for a day....... The sheer and utter absurdity of running a grid on unreliable energy can clearly be seen by anyone not brainwashed with the green mental illness.

Battery's may drop from costing $25K in a car to 20K in 10 years time but they sure as hell aren't going to drop to $5k in the forseeable future that's for sure.

Premium Member

Thanks

some one must be making money from the Big Battery as they are presently adding another 50% capacity that will come on line in March.
    Guess when they are getting $14,700 per GWh (?) at peak demand you could not lose, but better than having black outs

Thanks

yeah, no question they make money out of it. The owners are gaming the system so they can make a fortune. Like most things essential service related, once big business gets their hands in the pie they rort the system for all they can get out of it until they can't milk it any further.

Wonder how much more people in SA are going to have to pay for this latest Cheap unreliable energy over the most exy power prices in the world they are already paying?

I got an " amended" power bill the other day. Seems somewhere they stuffed up and over charged me.
    My power bill for my all electric 3 person home was $468 for May to December. $117 dollars of that was " Supply Charges" that I would have no matter what.

I very much enjoy Playing the power companies the same way they play everyone else. I'm getting better at it too.
    I have halved the power I was paying for last year and am now using less than half of what they say the average 1 person home uses.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

eaglem (20-01-20)

Premium Member

Thanks

Oh sorry, here is the new technology, i must have been confused

Thanks

Oh sorry, here is the new technology, i must have been confused
    There is that COULD word again.
    When it becomes the IS word ill give the concept some credibility.

At least they acknowledge the current huge flaws with the filthy mining of cobalt and lithium from African shit holes which every other brainwashed EV fanboi wants to deny.