Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spiders & Other Stuff

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    We saw Alien when it first came out at the movies back in 1980. We'd read the book and SWMBO would not read it when I was not home.... Anyway, we took our newborn baby with us and, time the movie was over, everyone was laughing. Why? Because every time there was a really tense moment in the movie when everyone was on the edge of their seat, all you could hear was this little baby uttering a quiet siiiiiiiigh. Not loud, or distracting, but just enough to crack the place up.
    Lovely story, Leigh !
    I'll tell thee everything I can: there's little to relate ...

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I have never seen a Funnel Web spider that is not black or mostly black.
    Maybe it is very small and juvenile but the juvenile Funnel Webs I have seen are also black.
    I believe after looking it up it's some type of Trapdoor Spider, not a Funnel Web as I initially thought.
    It's not a juvenile, they get quite large these ones, red line to red line in the pic is the track left by a 7:50x16 Land Cruiser tyre.
    They're about 180 mls across the tread.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Common rule for me in Australia is to stay away or if safely possible, remove any spider that is BLACK.

Before Admin chimes in, I never kill any Spiders. The birds do that for me.
    In general I find spiders useful but black spiders in the house are a big no for me and I catch them safely and bring them outside.

Snakes don't bother me too much either and I mean that literally, they leave me alone because I don't try to scare them away or anything.
    I had a nice carpet snake residing on my property for a few weeks always sleeping in the day time in the same spot in the garden, coiled up totally vulnerable and after it left I had no trouble with rats for at least six months.
    I like snakes, get the occasional visitor wandering in from time to time.
    Sitting inside heard a commotion on the street out the front one night & it was one of the locals yelling out to us there was a snake had just entered our yard, summer time, knee high grass hadn't yet been mowed after rain.
    Wandered out & had a yarn for a bit, looked around with a torch & finally found a nice sized Black Headed Python doing his best to pretend he wasn't there in the long grass...very very hard to see even with a bright torch from right beside it, camouflage is excellent.
    Took him out of town & let him go otherwise idiots would have run over him & killed him.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M-R View Post
    Lucky you ! - orb weavers are beautiful, as are their .. orbs.
    We're inculcated by our parents re being afraid of creatures. I used to be terrified of huntsmen. But as I get ancienter and ancienter such silly fears leave me.
    So I'm lucky too !
    Similar here too, things I was taught are 'bad' aren't really so bad at all.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Found it ! - and it's sad ..

So Jma (in an Uncle Fester reply !), you are one of the last.
    And Uncle Fester, you're quite right.

I actually love snakes; I think they're really beautiful. Chances are I mightn't be frightfully keen if a red-bellied black snake appeared on my doormat but.
    Thanks for that, and it's an interesting article, I wouldn't have thought that the case locally as I still see burrows when out and about.
    Those spider pics were taken in 2007.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    night & it was one of the locals yelling out to us there was a snake had just entered our yard, summer time, knee high grass hadn't yet been mowed after rain.
    Wandered out & had a yarn for a bit, looked around with a torch & finally found a nice sized Black Headed Python doing his best to pretend he wasn't there in the long grass...very very hard to see even with a bright torch from right beside it, camouflage is excellent.
    Took him out of town & let him go otherwise idiots would have run over him & killed him.

You will be horrified at my ignorance .. but I didn't even know we have bhps ! - what an amazing creature !
    You do have the most interesting life, Jma !
    And btw: I've lived in Geelong for a tad under 4 years, and during the first three I moved six times. Guess why ..?
    Bloody DOGS. I cannot live where people let their dogs bark and bark and bark: being an ancient, I'm home most times, subject to the endless bored barking of dogs that shouldn't be left untended to drive others mad. Not their fault, I know .. Would like a water-pistol filled with a mixtures of cats' wee and molasses with which to visit the dogs' owners' houses and aim at their front doors, windows and vehicles ..

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

A friend of mine in the Netherlands does a lot of macro photography of insects of all kinds ~ he often visits AU for the diverse & many different bugs we have here as opposed to EU. If you're into this, you'll enjoy browsing his site -> (we affectionately refer to him as the masta of insectopron =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Jma (13-01-20),lsemmens (13-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    A friend of mine in the Netherlands does a lot of macro photography of insects of all kinds ~ he often visits AU for the diverse & many different bugs we have here as opposed to EU. If you're into this, you'll enjoy browsing his site -> (we affectionately refer to him as the masta of insectopron =)
    Lotsa grasshoppers in dem Nederlands, eh ? Just the one delightful little spidge - tell him more, please.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

You will be horrified at my ignorance .. but I didn't even know we have bhps ! - what an amazing creature !
    You do have the most interesting life, Jma !
    And btw: I've lived in Geelong for a tad under 4 years, and during the first three I moved six times. Guess why ..?
    Bloody DOGS. I cannot live where people let their dogs bark and bark and bark: being an ancient, I'm home most times, subject to the endless bored barking of dogs that shouldn't be left untended to drive others mad. Not their fault, I know .. Would like a water-pistol filled with a mixtures of cats' wee and molasses with which to visit the dogs' owners' houses and aim at their front doors, windows and vehicles ..

Dogs are a real problem here also, local council has no balls unless you don't mow the yard for too long and the grass gets over about ankle height.
    Then you'll get all sorts of threats & promises about how miserable they'll make your life if you don't comply.
    But complain about a dog that causes everyone on the block sleep deprivation day & night and they do nothing of substance about it.
    A lot of animal owners are among the most disrespectful of people around, they expect people to put up with the problems caused by their uncontrolled animals when they themselves do zero to control them.
    Some people aren't though, they do the right thing, see that their animals are under control and are not being a nuisance to others, but they are sadly in what appears nowdays to be a smaller and smaller minority.

Yeah they are cool those pythons, usually a very docile and curious animal.
    They get quite large also, not unusual to see them over 3 metres in length.

Thanks

Dogs are a real problem here also, local council has no balls unless you don't mow the yard for too long and the grass gets over about ankle height.
    Then you'll get all sorts of threats & promises about how miserable they'll make your life if you don't comply.
    But complain about a dog that causes everyone on the block sleep deprivation day & night and they do nothing of substance about it.
    A lot of animal owners are among the most disrespectful of people around, they expect people to put up with the problems caused by their uncontrolled animals when they themselves do zero to control them.
    Some people aren't though, they do the right thing, see that their animals are under control and are not being a nuisance to others, but they are sadly in what appears nowdays to be a smaller and smaller minority.

Yeah they are cool those pythons, usually a very docile and curious animal.
    They get quite large also, not unusual to see them over 3 metres in length.
    That is one gorgeous animal ! If I didn't have an adorable teeny cat, I believe I would like one of those. [grin]

Thanks

Don't you like my cute little spider?
    Jma, have you spotted this article ?

Right up your alley (as it were), mate ! [grin]

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Jma, have you spotted this article ?

Right up your alley (as it were), mate ! [grin]
    Thanks M-R,
    No I hadn't seen it, I imagine they probably won't travel over 1300 k's to collect any samples.
    If I lived in that area I would perhaps make a donation or two.

Thanks

Ah well, 't was nought but a thought ..

• The Following User Says Thank You to M-R For This Useful Post:

Jma (16-01-20)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I've seen some big funnel web spiders in my time... but this one must be on steroids!

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (05-02-20)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Been in a good paddock that one...

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12