Thread: Hail Damage

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Default Hail Damage

F*ck! My nearly new SSV is f*cked. Not as bad as other cars in the street, but nasty none the less. Biggest hail I've ever seen in Canberra.

The woman over the road has one as well and hers is like a golfball.

Sigh!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-01-20)

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

At least you won't worry about scratching it when you head bush, now.

Seriously: Sh*t thing to happen, hopefully insurance will cover it.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I've been so happy to see the rain and the cooler weather with all the bush fires etc but wasn't hoping for the extreme!

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,927 Times in 1,283 Posts

Not good to hear about your car.

It's strange how it works as I am about 5 minutes drive from enf's location the car next door that was in the hail has no damage at all with hail approx 25mm here.

Lucky for me my car and bikes are in a garage.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-01-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    Not good to here your car.

It's strange how it works as I am about 5 minutes drive from enf's location the car next door that was in the hail has no damage at all with hail approx 25mm here.

Lucky for me my car and bikes are in a garage.
    Thanks Dave...I have a double garage that has been usurped as a U-Stowit for my kids......Woman over the road took her SS into into Westfield this morning. As she had gotten a small ding from a towbar a few days ago, she parked on the top level. Totalled.

Mine is probably salvageable, although I'll be in a long queue.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,927 Times in 1,283 Posts

I know the feeling about the storage shed I have a large 2 car (would fit 4 small car's) and I just get the 2 bikes and the car in it.
    The noise of the roof made me check for damaged roof tiles afterwards.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-01-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yeah, I might have a couple of issues with ridge capping. Getting it looked at soonest.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

sorry to hear that mate what a sucky thing to happen. I saw Canberra cop it on the news those hailies were an insane size!

From experience , hail damage repairs arent always very successful - for years afterwards you will be seeing creases which werent pulled out properly or pulled out too far. The paint will show issues you never had before either. Trouble is a car like that will be hard to replace.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

eaglem (21-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I went out the back yesterday when the storm hit the edge of sydney. Pulled a couple of things in under the verandah further and heard what i thought was a low flying jet powering out from the local airport. I looked up and i saw what could only be described as a wall of water and wind i couldnt see through hurtling down the neighbours yard and into ours coming towards the house.

I tirned and opened the door just as the mres was coming out and literally grabbed her off her feet with one hand and pulled the door closed with the other.

I dont know what you would call it, wind burst, wind sheer but it hit like a tidal wave. Shit went enerywhere and was thrown around like i have never seen before. Heavy, and i mean 100 kg+ pots were thrown meters from where they were not to mention the smaller ones.
    It was like someone got a dozer and just cleared everything. The back table i built out of hardwood that us 200 hg plus was flipped over and the way its built its very hard for one person to do that on there own.

Chairs were blown everywhere and efen a 3 ft fish tank i keep pets in that was sitting direct on the tiles on foam was moved a meter. The verandah is 4m wide and still things on the other side wall were soaked to the top of the window.

Naturally there was branches off trees everywhere and plants in the garden leveled. I have no idea what that burst was or its speed but the mrs and I had to confirm with each other what we saw.
    It went from heavy rain with some light hail to just this white out you couldnt see through ripping down the yard in a second. Never seen anything like it. Never want to again either. Taken me all day to clean up the aftermath on the verandah and just around the house itself.

Discovered today that the phone wires were ripped off the pole out the front.
    Had to deal with robot black morons in wherethefukarewe all morning for them to tell me what i told them in my opening words to them. Yes you punjab fktard, i didnt need to get a tech to test the line, when the box is on the ground and bare wires are hanging off the pole, its not going to fing work!

No phone or internet till friday which probably means Wednesday next week based on past fkups with telstra.
    Should probably just get the ladder and fix it myself but the whole thing looks like its stuffed and needs replacing and they would probably have as bitch fit at a COMPETENT person repairing their shit infrastructure.

They are sending a mobile phone to use for calls and so we have internet. NFI how the hell that is going to conect to my desk top but there better be simple way as this bullshit of trying to look at things on a tablet is way old already.
    Last edited by george65; 21-01-20 at 06:24 PM.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    ...I dont know what you would call it, wind burst, wind sheer but it hit like a tidal wave. Shit went enerywhere and was thrown around like i have never seen before...
    ?
    See them occasionally out this way, they blow trucks over, uproot & snap off trees, destroy houses etc. etc...

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

I have had that at sea "a squall" tore the headsail off the yacht stripped into strips all joined together at the top , pushed the boat over to the gunnels in 4ft of water terrifying experience but they come in pairs so was ready for the next one clipped on and harnessed They couldnt fix the sail in Norfolk island or new Caledonia gave it to some kanaks on the isle of pines , dunno what they wanted it for ??

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Sisters Prado in Canberra, looks like a right off as ever panel has been turned into a golf ball

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (25-01-20),enf (24-01-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Mines not that bad alph0ne, so they will fix it. The most bashed up panels are the boot and bonnet, both carbon fibre.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (25-01-20),eaglem (25-01-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

I reckon the sale of ball peen hammers will briefly go up at Bunnings. LOL

The worst hail storm I've seen the results of was in Toowoomba back in 1974. Tennis ball sized hail that hospitalised a couple of people and I think even killed one bloke. Our tin roof had all the corrugations bashed out of it, lost all the windows down one side of the house, and the metal rubbish bin copped a direct hit that pushed the lid down into the bin. People with tiled rooves had hailstones smashing tiles and continuing down through the ceiling into their houses. Luckily the whole family was at a function 60km away, so no cars in the driveway. There would normally be 3 cars at the time.

Edit: Looks like it was January 1976, according to Google.
    Last edited by bob_m_54; 25-01-20 at 07:02 AM.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (25-01-20),eaglem (25-01-20),enf (25-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Mines not that bad alph0ne, so they will fix it. The most bashed up panels are the boot and bonnet, both carbon fibre.
    Carbon fibre = big $$$$$$ ??

I would have thought CF would be a lot less 'bendable' than metal ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    I reckon the sale of ball peen hammers will briefly go up at Bunnings. LOL

The worst hail storm I've seen the results of was in Toowoomba back in 1974. Tennis ball sized hail that hospitalised a couple of people and I think even killed one bloke. Our tin roof had all the corrugations bashed out of it, lost all the windows down one side of the house, and the metal rubbish bin copped a direct hit that pushed the lid down into the bin. People with tiled rooves had hailstones smashing tiles and continuing down through the ceiling into their houses. Luckily the whole family was at a function 60km away, so no cars in the driveway. There would normally be 3 cars at the time.

Edit: Looks like it was January 1976, according to Google.
    Nope don't believe you....that was pre climate change 😂
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

bob_m_54 (26-01-20)

Thanks

Had a similar hail storm in Far West NSW a bit over 3 year ago. Damaged many cars and dented just about every corrugated iron roof in town. Closely followed by an influx of storm chasing roofing companies and paintless dent repairers.
    Be wary of these fly by night storm chasing repairers and stick with reputable companies as some of the work that was done was well below standard.
    Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Carbon fibre = big $$$$$$ ??

I would have thought CF would be a lot less 'bendable' than metal ?
    Proper carbon Fibre would just shatter. Mate of Mine is a head researcher with a company that develops it for the aerospace and F1 Industries. Seen a lot of his tests and the aftermath. The biggest thing his company is trying to do with CF is put some flexibility into it without adding to the weight.

It's incredibly strong stuff but there is no give, once it yields the stuff pretty much goes off like a gun and in a puff of dust.

I can't see real CF denting at all.
    It would either bounce the hail right off or it would go right through it. If it has dents, it's definitely not real CF. Maybe steel/ Ally with a sticker/ wrap on it?

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (27-01-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Proper carbon Fibre would just shatter. Mate of Mine is a head researcher with a company that develops it for the aerospace and F1 Industries. Seen a lot of his tests and the aftermath. The biggest thing his company is trying to do with CF is put some flexibility into it without adding to the weight.

It's incredibly strong stuff but there is no give, once it yields the stuff pretty much goes off like a gun and in a puff of dust.

I can't see real CF denting at all.
    It would either bounce the hail right off or it would go right through it. If it has dents, it's definitely not real CF. Maybe steel/ Ally with a sticker/ wrap on it?
    I've always just called it plastic. The rear boot and panel, the front bonnet and spoiler panels are all made of it. Whatever it is, the boot lid and bonnet are bashed up a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Woven Carbon Fibre panels can sustain damage that may not be immediately apparent. When working on F-18 aircraft, we had to report any incidences of tools being dropped onto panels, so that they could get the NDI blokes to check it out, to determine if there was actual damage. I haven't personally seen any damaged panels from this type of incident, but I guess it's possible, if the procedures were in place.

But, as previously pointed out, most blingy WCF panelling for motor vehicles would be most likely be plastic anyway.