Thread: Induction cooktop coffee pot needed

Thanks

Default Induction cooktop coffee pot needed

For many years we have used of coffee pot on gas cooktops.

The change to an induction cooktop forced us to purchase another coffee pot - a Tramontina unit. The problem is that the coffee is only tepid. Yuk!

Any recommendations for a unit that will produce hot coffee?
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Make certain the base is flush with the glass of the cooktop and take a magnet with you when shopping. If it sticks to the base of the pot then induction will work well on it.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

enf (22-01-20),tristen (22-01-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

Use a neosidium magnet and check the magnetic area of the bottom of the pot it may not be big enough to get full power into the pot if you get a steel or iron disc the size of the dots on the cooktop and place the pot on this it will heat quickly beware the steel plate will get very hot very quickly about 3-4mm thick and flat or you can use your old pot on it but check the time or it may melt

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

All of the above, I have an induction cooktop and will not willingly return to anything else. I, typically, run the top flat out until the water starts to boil, then turn it down until I get a rolling boil without water splashing everywhere. For instant coffee, I just boil the kettle as normal, for real coffee, I use a plunger, so my water is always hot to start with. Remember do not add boiling water to coffee, it should be hot, but not boiling, otherwise you release the tannin s which makes it bitter.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (22-01-20),gulliver (22-01-20),tristen (24-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    get a steel or iron disc the size of the dots on the cooktop and place the pot on this it will heat quickly beware the steel plate will get very hot very quickly about 3-4mm thick and flat or you can use your old pot on it but check the time or it may melt
    I asked on this forum about doing this before purchasing all new induction suitable cookware. The consensus seemed to be "don't do it".

Banned

Thanks

a understanding of physics is needed , Sorry I dont think I saw your post ? but a magnetic induction is made by inducing magnetic currents within a ferric substance as these currents can vary in intensity they are awkward to adhere to a strictly true timing , also they vary in frequency as well but there is room to experiment , so a bit of trial and error can take place if one is to think carefully about the strength and intensity of the device , after all it is a domestic device designed to heat ferric material

LSemmens
    Thanks

As an aside, from my experience, all those espresso machines in post one are made of some aluminium compound and would not be suitable. Now might be a good time to invest in one of those fancy espresso machines like one of .

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (23-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    As an aside, from my experience, all those espresso machines in post one are made of some aluminium compound and would not be suitable. Now might be a good time to invest in one of those fancy espresso machines like one of .
    1. Yes I know they are aluminium - that is why we bought the Tramontina which is supposedly suitable for induction, amongst other, cooktops.

2. More stuff to clutter the bench ...

Banned

Thanks

Did you check the size of your coffee pot? just checked the next doors one it wont go as its too small but claimed as induction . I found a bit of steel plate and put it on the cooker it got hot quickly with the pot on it , it was a bit rusty but thats not a biggie to fix so have a go !!! don

Thanks

The Tramontina works in as much as the water gets hot, goes through the coffee grounds and into the upper chamber but as stated in my 1st post the coffee is only tepid. To my way of thinking it is, like a lot of stuff these days, designed for aesthetics not function.

As I said in post #5 I asked about using a steel plate. Time to give it a go unless someone can come up with a pot that will deliver hot coffee.

LSemmens
    Thanks

A Kettle and plunger works well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

We just remodeled our kitchen. What a drama that was! Wanted( and bought) a gas stove and oven then found out about the complications of putting in Lpg bottles.
    Bought an electric stove and everywhere we went they tried to sell us an induction type.
    Was told repeatedly they are cheaper to run which from my research seems untrue and with the amount of solar I have, I couldn't care less anyway.

Seems to me the complications and drawbacks far outweigh any advantages.
    We went with a convection type with the flat glass top and a double fan 900 wide oven and are completely happy with it.

Got to admit i was quite surprised at the 50A power requirement but running the cable was adamn sight cheaper and easier than putting in lpg bottles and gas lines. Not a problem if you already have gas but to put it in an existing home as an addition was more than we, and the plumber, anticipated.

With the solar we have, putting in a gas stove was a bit ironic but something we thought the personal prefrance was worth paying for..... untill we realised just how much it was going to cost to get installed.

Only been a couple of months and we are quite used to the new electric now which is much better than the old electric having more of a visual refrence like we prefered with gas. Dont have to worry about what type of pots we put on it which is why I went for this type over induction.

If anyone is interested in a brand new uninstalled top of the line westinghouse 900mm gas stove and oven cooker at $500 off going price in Sydney, get in touch! :0)

Thanks

We are going to be renovating our kitchen soon and I doubt we will be able to keep the existing gas line - it used to run down the outside wall on our patio, but this has now been enclosed as another room and I'm guessing that having a gas line run down the wall of a room is not good

We will look at staying with gas, I don't want a glass covered cooktop, I use cast iron pots and have been know to bang them around a little - kinda like the Swedish chef from the muppets.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mi_tasol For This Useful Post:

gulliver (26-01-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    A Kettle and plunger works well.
    Sorry but no.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mi_tasol View Post
    We are going to be renovating our kitchen soon and I doubt we will be able to keep the existing gas line - it used to run down the outside wall on our patio, but this has now been enclosed as another room and I'm guessing that having a gas line run down the wall of a room is not good
    One of the expenses with us having gas was the fact I Didnt want it on an outside wall which would have been a verandah and meant I could never put anything flush to the wall.

I would have had to run the pipe up the wall near the bottles and along the ceiling and back inside the wall. No problem with the pipe in the wall, just working on the corner of the eves which come right down past the brick wall.

If you have the pipe already, i dont think it will be a problem. My plumber was loking up al the rules and regs on his phone as we found one problem after another so should be easy to find what you can and cant do.

• 22-03-20, 06:20 AM