Thread: Coronavirus

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I think my interest now, is what's going on in China ~ the fallout and ramifications of a big outbreak there, are going to be felt around the world for even longer. My buddy hasn't been able to return to his factory in Shenzhen, but the manager there tells him news reports of the CCP suddenly embarking on a military service recruitment drive are true. I fear this whole pandemic is going to force a lot of big players hands in the next year or so. Not sure if it's just a local thing, but petrol prices are sneaking up..91RON is $1.54/l local
    Yes my FMG have dropped a bit hard the past few days. I think this is a warning sign of things to come.
    Iron ore(free falling) was the last straw for our economy, if we leave out the speculator FOMO driven and life destroying property price boom here in AU.
    China gov is forcing to close shop in many big cities but they are doing it full and hard still with small case numbers so lets first see.
    However Sinovac is apparently pretty useless for Delta if I am informed correctly.
    I wonder if they have the guts to take Sputnik(which is allegedly better) because the Russians themselves don't want it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-08-21 at 12:21 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-08-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

FFS...hard borders are back with 14 day permits. What the fk is wrong with your drivers licence for id? This is fking mental. If you're not local yes they need a permit. I work in NSW....what a fn joke. The queues yesterday were horrendous. Back to where we were last year.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

• The Following User Says Thank You to LeroyPatrol For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (11-08-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,062 Times in 9,090 Posts

Welcome to the new normal......
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (11-08-21),peteramjet (11-08-21),wotnot (11-08-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Welcome to the new normal......
    Australia has been a victim of its own success. We have been so shielded from the virus that many though it wasn’t dangerous and therefore weren’t abiding by rules and were not getting vaccinated.

In many ways, these Delta outbreaks are the circuit breaker event that were needed, and have caused Australians to pull their heads out, at least on the East Coast.

While NSW is in for a hard slog (with Vic not too far behind) the majority of the public is finally taking this seriously, realising the risks, and choosing to get vaccinated.

At the current vaccination rates, NSW will reach the 70%/80% rates by November (possibly before) that should mean essentially no restrictions. Vic may not be too far behind, and QLD getting there sometime early next year. The rest of Australia aren’t even close.

So while the lockdowns, job loses and deaths are horrible, the result is this country now has a clear way out of this pandemic.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,916 Posts

Whilst I agree with most of what you say I am going to have to query where your information is coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    ... At the current vaccination rates, NSW will reach the 70%/80% rates by November (possibly before) that should mean essentially no restrictions. Vic may not be too far behind, and QLD getting there sometime early next year. The rest of Australia aren’t even close...
    From Covidlive last updated 5 hours ago
    Cheers
    Ted (Al)

Thanks

Go Glad, you go girl! Another 350 and almost half that in the wild or unaccounted for. Same dribble every morning. She's like a broken record.
    Looking like lockdowns in NSW until end of Oct. Just have to pray we in Vic can keep out who are trying to escape!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Our first lockdown.....7 days from 5pm today.....1 case. The first in about 12 months.

Dunno how they are gunna do it. There are 3,256,323 or so ways into and out of the ACT. We'll see how people behave.

Certainly seen pandemonium at all shopping centres this morning when we went out for our normal shop. Curtailed that and didn't bother.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    Go Glad, you go girl! Another 350 and almost half that in the wild or unaccounted for. Same dribble every morning. She's like a broken record.
    Looking like lockdowns in NSW until end of Oct. Just have to pray we in Vic can keep out who are trying to escape!
    Dunno what you expect. That the opposition have it all wired? The old rules don't necessarily apply with Delta. It's a completely different animal.

Like I said in an earlier post, welcome to the new normal.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Praying won't do much.
    You need a tough gov that knows what it is doing and that is full lockdown with closed borders and hopefully you are out of the woods again.

Property prices in my regional NSW area are going through the roof, driven by Sydney speculators totally driving out housing for the locals.
    One of the excuses Gladys gives her Sydney siders to freely roam and infest our towns, is looking for property.
    So if you want to go on a road trip just call an agent.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 582 Posts

Our first lockdown.....7 days from 5pm today.....1 case. The first in about 12 months.

lockdown No 6 for us Victorians.. We have it down pat. lol .. Working from home on the couch. Too easy.

My mum always told me I wouldn’t accomplish anything by lying on the couch all day. But look at me now! I’m saving the world!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

enf (12-08-21),lsemmens (12-08-21),Uncle Fester (12-08-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Praying won't do much.
    You need a tough gov that knows what it is doing and that is full lockdown with closed borders and hopefully you are out of the woods again.

Property prices in my regional NSW area are going through the roof, driven by Sydney speculators totally driving out housing for the locals.
    One of the excuses Gladys gives her Sydney siders to freely roam and infest our towns, is looking for property.
    So if you want to go on a road trip just call an agent.
    So what you want is for a government that will ignore it's own health dept advice and do it your way.......riiiiight.

Thanks

So what you want is for a government that will ignore it's own health dept advice and do it your way.......riiiiight.
    I really have f'n no clue what you are on about and you apparently not what I am trying to say.

Gladys needs to stop allowing everybody to roam around for a couple of weeks, period
    ... well she should have over a month ago, now it is out of control anyhow and her Sydney siders know no borders.

So you think it is a great idea for everybody to travel everywhere and look for realestate right now, to hell with spreading the virus, their FOMO is more important.

In the mean time vaccinated people(one fully) are dying,
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-08-21 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks

I hear calls to double and triply the fines. If it did work we would not have a prison population. They lockdowns only provide a short terms relief to hospitals and ICU’s, just slowing but in no way eliminating the spread. You can not shutdown food outlets, the drivers who deliver to the food stores, the suppliers. The whole logistics need to be kept going.

Many governments around the world have adopted a pragmatic approach, Once 70% are immunized life goes back to normal regardless of the numbers. We accept Pneumonia, Cancer, Ross river virus, heart disease, shark and crocodile attacks, getting run over by a car, without imposing restrictions on our movements and activities. It should not be any different to Covid

Call it Natural selection, its part of an unstoppable evolution process.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

enf (12-08-21),mandc (14-08-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B52 View Post
    I hear calls to double and triply the fines. If it did work we would not have a prison population. They lockdowns only provide a short terms relief to hospitals and ICU’s, just slowing but in no way eliminating the spread. You can not shutdown food outlets, the drivers who deliver to the food stores, the suppliers. The whole logistics need to be kept going.

Many governments around the world have adopted a pragmatic approach, Once 70% are immunized life goes back to normal regardless of the numbers. We accept Pneumonia, Cancer, Ross river virus, heart disease, shark and crocodile attacks, getting run over by a car, without imposing restrictions on our movements and activities. It should not be any different to Covid

We are still being conned by those promising the unachievable. We had it pretty soft (well, not Victoria), but this is most likely only the start of the mutations. Which WILL get in, and which WILL kill people. It's way past time for the feds and these power mad premiers to tell us the truth....

The new normal.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,959 Times in 1,524 Posts

It's way past time for the feds and these power mad premiers to tell us the truth....
    I hold it as being extremely polemical that the powers-that-be actually *know* the truth in the first place. I think it's {ahem} 'healthy' for the mind to postulate, they haven't got a clue and don't know that 'the truth' is. Keep thinking about that for too long, and you can begin to wonder if there is any 'truth' to be known at all here. Else you come to the conclusion, that whatever the powers-that-be did or didn't do correctly here, could in itself demonstrate they *didn't* have a clue, nor knew what any 'truth' was to begin with =) Sometimes, simple answers work.

There'll be resistance to the use of the word 'natural' there, if the case is such the virus itself actually required human intervention (the laboratory work) to be brought into existence...ie; it wouldn't have evolved of it's own accord in nature. As we can barely trust anything we hear coming out of CN, you have to wonder if this came from bats in a cave that infected/killed a few people, and that event would have them send out scientists to that location, to collect samples blablabla for research and {ahem} 'study'... would that be truth?

Apart from it's origins, everything else has been as per 'natural selection' and all part of life's grand existence on planet Earth, with the added complication of global transportation systems...of all types. From any virus' perspective, manmade transportation systems allow their hosts to move about from place to place, state to state, or country to country, with consummate ease, so they can infect more hosts on a broader scale, faster. That's just one example (but a big player here) wherein 'natural' selection is not totally responsible ; it's more like Arnie talking about Judgement Day when he says "It's inevitable" without an exclamation mark.

The new normal.
    I reckon you could level-up on that, and call it Stage 4 in the epic battle of influenza versus humanity ; it's the new tier of the same game. As of SARS, thereafter I know myself I've become 'accustomed to' seeing folks wearing masks in Japan and other SE Asian cities, and think of it as 'normal'...for them. Us so busy protecting ourselves against each other, we fail to see this as being social evolution somewhat affronting 'natural' evolution at the same time. For instance, we see a lot of the number coming out of NSW at the moment, but the one number I'm interested in is how many of those who tested positive, were themselves totally asymptomatic?

That invariably leads to the suggestion, how does one determine, if they're the type of person who can catch this virus, and their body is capable of dealing with the infection by itself, no medication required? The 'natural selection' edict would say, this is to be expected -- every time one of these virus types gets out into the wild, many will survive and evolve to get along with the virus, and a small percentage will die annually as a consequence of 'selection' - only the strong will survive. Mankind versus it's own diseases ; look around fellow human beings, at the increase of disease in various animals species on this planet.

I remember the 'old normal' from way back in my youth, before they realized cloth handkerchiefs were one of the prime sources for spreading cough/cold/flu, and there were no flu vaccines - if you were lucky, you didn't come down with a cold/flu in wintertime (Syd), and unless you were really sick and running a fever, you'd end up going to school, and everyone would just say "the flu is going about"...in the same way as 'tummy bugs' did, or chicken-pox, measles and mumps. The last three there, no vaccines for those either, and these were things our parents told us we would get only once in our life, and then we'd be immune for the rest of our days, and couldn't catch them again. Anyone else recall those days back in the 50's/early 60's? Society evolves with time, and many don't know how it was or how far we've come, with medicines to combat these once normal part of growing up.

Got a saddening tale to go with that, which encompasses what it is to be a contradiction to immunization -- I'd already the infamous 3 childhood diseases before they had the tripleA shot, and my youngest sister was one of earlier recipients of ths country wide as they rolled is out, and she hadn't contracted measles yet, and so she got the shot -- from that moment forth, she became more and more asthmatic, with a few attacks landing her in hospital on a respirator, and she was constantly on ventilators and puffers, and it really limited her early life. In her late teens, she got measles *anyway*, and she got a really bad case of it, and it scarred her ovaries/tubes/womb, rendering her impossible to have kids of her own. Once she recovered, the asthma disappeared...go figure. She was that 1 in 1million case where shit could go wrong =/

Keep in mind, immunization and vaccination are two different things, the former meaning having been vaccinated and acquiring immunity to the virus, which isn't looking like the situation here - the vaccine just makes it a lot harder for the virus to replicate if you do contract it, and that means a lower viral load count in your blood, and that means you won't end up having a severe case of it if you do become infected 'in most cases' (as reflected in data of how many vaccinated people return a zero infected tested result...some time off into the future)...this is likely going to be a data point we'll only see, retrospectively, sometime in 2022 or beyond globally speaking, and you'd have to hedge a bet if there's already one more nasty variant, there's probably room for more. Shit's gunna hit the fan harder in the economic context ; it may overawe the medical realities =)

Thanks

.... but this is most likely only the start of the mutations. Which WILL get in, and which WILL kill people. It's way past time for the feds and these power mad premiers to tell us the truth....

The new normal.
    If you look closely they kind of are telling us something.
    Once we have 'all' been fully vaccinated by the end of Dec, we will all have to line up again next year for our Moderna booster shot, well the first 15 million.
    When those are used up, then maybe some time late next year we might actually be producing our own mRNA vaccines that are easily modified for the upcoming mutations.

The silver lining here is that after mastering this mRNA technology it could possibly be modified to cure cancer:

A patient specific coded mRNA vaccine would be the next best thing to GM technology against such diseases without actually changing our DNA and all the associated risks.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-08-21 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks

Got my cross border extreme risk zone border permit so I could cross the border to come home from work tonight. Cops packed up and none to be seen. The other cars around me driving across the border had NSW number plates. We are fooked here in Vic.
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 14-08-21 at 02:10 AM.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Got my cross border extreme risk zone border permit so I could cross the border to come home from work tonight. Cops packed up and none to be seen. The other cars around me driving across the border had NSW number plates. We are fooked here in Vic.
    Sounds like a Ring Of Tissue Paper, not a Ring Of Steel that Dan keeps spruiking about.

At least on the Gold Coast they are manned everytime I've had to go through.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (16-08-21)

Thanks

News is reporting that all regional NSW will be in lockdown in an hour from now for a week.
    Nothing on the NSW health website.
    Maybe I will get an email from services NSW end of next week that we were in lockdown.

No clue if I bring my son to school or not.

Lucky we did our 'panic buying' weeks ago, my wife wants to go again because it is so much fun but our pantry and freezer are bursting full

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (14-08-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Also reports of Victorians breaking lockdowns and flooding into rural Victoria making the whole thing a potential sh!t show.....

I'm reluctant to be too critical after witnessing the panic buying here. Went out at lunchtime today to the chemist and had a look for some coffee in Woollies. Shelves stripped.

It's disgraceful. Now it turns out that the original case here MAY NOT be the guy.

• Page 112 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1262102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122 ... LastLast