Page 22 of 133 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post

For those of us who do live through this, I wonder how it is going to change the world when it's all over?
    I know I will have more toilet paper in the cupboard, from now on, at all times!!
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

enf (18-03-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,077 Times in 3,348 Posts

Just wait until this crisis is over and watch the price of toilet paper, pasta, and other "essentials" drop. People will have so much stored that no one will want to buy any for a loooong time!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

george65 (18-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

It is nuts how much is NOT being reported
    Or made Public

There has been a massive call to get retired nurses back to work as Melbourne nurses are struck down with positive COVID-19 results
    We have had these requests as far away as where i live
    They even asking 1st year nurses to volunteer to help the cause
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

A neighbour ran out of toilet paper.

He said today Aldi, Coles, Woolies and IGA all wiped out even in the morning.

I am suspecting the distributers must be holding back deliveries, if they have so much in the warehouses, maybe to discourage hoarding.

Another neighbour who will have to self quarantine will get a 12 pack of TP from me tomorrow but i won't charge anything.

So my 'un-Australian' hoarding is helping people.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 19-03-20 at 12:16 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (19-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    He said today Aldi, Coles, Woolies and IGA all wiped out even in the morning.
    ALDI has heaps in our regional stores
    Business as usual
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    ALDI has heaps in our regional stores
    Business as usual
    Well good for you. I live in a regional area and it is certainly not business as usual.
    I am very happy to avoid shopping for the next two weeks.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I got another 4 "statements" emailed to me all one after the other just this afternoon!
    Must be seen as the corporate Feel good thing to do right now..... Or the latest advertising/ promotional ploy.

Show organiser, Internet host, Costco and a Photographic supplier.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks

Well I'm guilty of encouraging what might be called " Hoarding".

Spoke to my father again today and encouraged him to get some more frozens to put away.

I'm thinking there is a line here......
    If one has to isolate, then one needs 2 weeks supply of things, for every person in the house. Dad shops once a week mainly and doesen't keep a lot so if he has to stay home for a fortnight or just wants to minimise going to the shops which aren't close anyway, he's going to need double his normal amount just to push back going to the shops 2 weeks instead of one.

Granted that might be different to taking in a month or mores supply but what's hoarding and what is stocking up for a real and required potential isolation? I can see a real and justified reason to buy double straight off. That has to have an impact on itself.

My Mrs shops to various degrees 2-3 Times a week. Main shop usually Thursdays after work or weekends, Picks up a couple or 3 more bags Monday and then again Wednesday as a general rule. We did a main shop Sunday before last and filled the boot of the car. That's normal, nothing unusual about that. Another 4-6 Bags through the week is also standard.

Double that up for a 2 week isolation and it's a LOT of Groceries. Of course if one were isolated, there would have to be substitutes for milk and bread for a start so that requires something to take it's place. We go through a Lot of milk and while the supply may not be affected, if you can't get out to fetch it....

I'm wondering about this isolation thing too. If one person in the house gets it I take everyone has to isolate but what if one person doesen't show signs till a week later? Does the clock start again and everyone is locked up for 3 weeks?

Other thing is, if you get it, are you then immune and don't have to worry or can you get a second dose?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Other thing is, if you get it, are you then immune and don't have to worry or can you get a second dose?
    If you believe what is reported
    Plenty have become re infected

Thanks

I'm wondering about this isolation thing too. If one person in the house gets it I take everyone has to isolate but what if one person doesen't show signs till a week later? Does the clock start again and everyone is locked up for 3 weeks?
    Technically yes, from a common sense perspective but if anybody has confirmed Covid-19 symptoms they have to stay isolated until they have recovered which could be longer.

I am very sure that nobody will be able to answer that for at least 6 months.
    Generally with a flu virus you will have created antibodies that made you get well again but for how long they stay resident and active, we will only know when that happens. Would also be dependent on the state of each person's immune system.
    I doubt a healthy person would get infected again so quickly unless a mutated strain could start a second infection.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-03-20 at 09:29 PM.

enf (18-03-20)

Thanks

On ScoMo's comment of Un-Australian 'hoarding', I find it Un-Australian NOT to have 2-3 weeks of basic food and hygiene products in the pantry at any given time.

IMO this living for the moment attitude that currently exists, especially among the younger generation is Un-Australian and many will learn important lessons from all this.

enf (18-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 582 Posts

If you can buy a bread machine and a heap of flour & yeast, A slab or 2 of UHT milk then you don't need to worry about buying Milk & Bread on a regular basis..

I'm fine living in Melbourne, already wrapped my Cars in very expensive 25 ply biochem N95 grade garranteed clear plastic and bought 100 litres of top quality engine Oil, some new wheels 18x8 all round and filled all the cars with petrol.. Now, i have no money left for food and the Mrs is pissed.. lol.. i don't Care.. my torries are safe.. lol
    Last edited by Johnno; 18-03-20 at 09:36 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (19-03-20),Uncle Fester (18-03-20)

Thanks

... hmm maybe we should all wrap ourselves with that high end plastic instead of toilet paper, but the clear version only for certain female specimens of our species
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 18-03-20 at 09:38 PM.

Johnno (18-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The whole concern about Self Isolation for 2 weeks is such a giggle
    I've been doing that for 20 years now on a very regular basis

Bread runs out first, but everyone has a freezer
    (And you will live without Bread, in fact, you'll probably feel better for the exprience)
    And Milk next, as mentioned above, UHT Milk lasts for ages
    (And once again, you can live without milk, no one needs it.... We are the ONLY mammal to drink milk as adults, and disgustingly, we drink from a cows tit, not even from our own kind... ewwww)

Food and Poo Tickets???
    That has never ever been an issue

I don't know anyone that doesn't have enough random food in the fridge, freezer or cupboards to last 2 weeks, or 4 weeks in reality.... and probably longer

The human body really doesn't need much to survive
    The rest is just pure greed
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-03-20 at 09:47 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (18-03-20),Uncle Fester (18-03-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,101 Times in 9,098 Posts

The whole concern about Self Isolation for 2 weeks is such a giggle
    I've been doing that for 20 years now on a very regular basis

Bread runs out first, but everyone has a freezer
    (And you will live without Bread, in fact, you'll probably feel better for the exprience)
    And Milk next, as mentioned above, UHT Milk lasts for ages
    (And once again, you can live without milk, no one needs it.... We are the ONLY mammal to drink milk as adults, and disgustingly, we drink from a cows tit, not even from our own kind... ewwww)

Food and Poo Tickets???
    That has never ever been an issue

I don't know anyone that doesn't have enough random food in the fridge, freezer or cupboards to last 2 weeks, or 4 weeks in reality.... and probably longer

The human body really doesn't need much to survive
    The rest is just pure greed
    100% correct I reckon, both you and Fester.

I don't eat bread, but I do eat wraps. Plenty of them in Woollies today, and a little bread. Everything else was stripped even though the shelves were fully stocked last night. My daughter found these really disturbing vids of young people and bogans verbally abusing the elderly and Woolworths staff between 0700 and 0800. It was disgusting.

I might use my age and go down at 0700 one day to see what it's like.

Fester......I had six kids, so a certain amount of hoarding of bumf and a couple of other things is still the norm due to habit. I haven't had to find toilette paper, and have been able to help others who have been caught short...the worst of people is starting to come out however, and I'm just embarrassed as an Australian.

My old man could jump out of his brick any time now and wonder what the fvck he fought for.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Johnno (18-03-20),Uncle Fester (18-03-20),wotnot (18-03-20)

Thanks

My mummy says if i don't drink my milk, i can't have my toast.. sorry bud, not happening..lol

Our local woollies is a ninja training ground.. people come out of nowhere and steal your mince meat.. /no kidding lol
    Last edited by Johnno; 18-03-20 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks

I agree and I don't like to drink it pure on it's own but my only problem is I am addicted to the derivatives which no other mammal is capable of creating like cheese and ice cream.
    On the topic of self sufficiency we have had a terrible year growing veg, pumpkin and tomatoes very weak. Have to had buy canned tomatoes, which I have not done in 20 years.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (19-03-20),Johnno (19-03-20)

Thanks

Just heard the UK $330b bail out.. downhill slide to recession sadly

Thanks

pumpkin and tomatoes very weak.
    Geez, Tomatoes and Pumpkin were the only things that did do OK for me, particularly the tomatoes. I Put in about 50 Plants and they all came up and did well. I was bringing in Kilos of tomatoes every 2 days. Said to the mrs the other day about pasta and sauce and she said I have so much from your tomatoes we can live week on that alone. Must have given 50 kilos of them away as well. Mrs was taking them to work to give people.

Tomato vines fell over with all the rain but are re growing. i was going to pull them out but thought better of it and see what I can get out of them. Also have Hundred's on new plants coming up where I ditched some that went off and then ploughed that part of the garden. I'm letting them come up some more and then will get the better ones and put them in the greenhouse. They won't survive winter here in the open.

Pumpkins were doing OK but I lost 3 of the 4 I had when I went away and they didn't get watered. The surviving one has gone nuts since the rain. Counted 13 developing Pumpkins on it yesterday. It's well escaped the garden bed and heading out through the lawn growing up between it. Doesent seem to be holding it back though!
    Not a great fan of Pumpkin but we will have plenty of them and they are nutritious. Might have a look at what else I can put in that will be OK but everything in winter takes an eternity to grow.

Yeah, but you only have 2 weeks food for one week, Then you use some and have one weeks reserve.
    If you can't replenish it weekly or fortnightly as you normally would......

Haven't been to the shops for a week. Might go down tomorrow and see how " Stripped " the shelves are.
    I think the other thing may be that people hit the supermarkets but not the smaller places like a few round here. They may not be the cheapest but the stuff they have is great and we get a lot of stuff there anyway. Mrs said all the hot bread shops have plenty for sale even if the supermarkets have none.

• Page 22 of 133 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast