Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

The news and mention of this is ramping up.
    I'm left wondering if this is just another strain of flu or something more serious and if the whole thing is being blown out of proportion, underplayed to prevent panic or as serious as it seems.

I am getting the impression it's deadly more to the very young, old and weak than anyone else but the thing is with the way things are today, you don't know how much gravity to give anything.

Would a wise person make preparations or is it a storm in a tea cup? Bushfires are out, rain isn't flooding anything any more, media need something exciting to keep people looking at their advertisers.

No way of knowing anymore how seriously to take anything.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

enf (29-02-20),hinekadon (29-02-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    ..........................I also wonder how many idiots think that they are safe because they don't drink the stuff.
    I certainly do, but it's got everything to do with the beer and NOTHING to do with the virus.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (29-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

I don't listen/look at mainstream media/news, at all. I tend to think of it all as social comment, and so YT is as good a sources as any ; at least one can find wildly differing & polarized perspectives on the same topic.

For this coronavirus business, I just keep tabs on it from here -> --- click on red dropdown tab top right, select Coronavirus Dashboard

I am not at all concerned about it

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (01-03-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

hows this for fun ?????
    Written in 1981 by Dean Koontz !!

"The eyes of darkness"

Very interesting! Also note the lines that it will vanish as quickly as it arrived but return in 10 years.
    wuhan 400 virus

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

kclar (01-03-20)

Thanks

Thanks

Benjamin Fulford sounds like a whole heap of crap to me.

• The Following User Says Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

enf (01-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    Benjamin Fulford sounds like a whole heap of crap to me.
    I would imagine the smell could be even worse

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

enf (01-03-20)

Premium Member

Thanks

Another conspiracy theory fruitcake.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Landytrack For This Useful Post:

enf (01-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Ever since this Corona Virus started, i've thought of this video
    6 min is the mark if you don't want to watch it all

Last edited by ol' boy; 01-03-20 at 10:07 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (02-03-20),lsemmens (02-03-20),sail (03-03-20),wotnot (01-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

The bigger picture

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (02-03-20),Landytrack (04-03-20),wotnot (02-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    The bigger picture
    ...yeah, I linked that vid into the 'Greta just like everyone else' thread, but it works here as well. *THAT* picture is far more concerning than this coronavirus 'fad' ...and I'm slating it with 'fad' because AFAICT, that's all it is --- it's just another mutated 'flu strain that no known medicine worked on and all of a sudden this is 'news'.... please, give me a break! Now that they're trialing a cure (that took them very little time to isolate), the fad is nearly over -- time for new news!

I think folks need to do more math ... coronavirus - roughly 90,000 confirmed cases (of that, nearly 3000 dead) ...world population ~ roughly 7,650,000,000 .... we all remember our high-school math and how to work out percentages, right? That rate of infection/death is...well, I'll let readers work it out, but here's a clue .... 0.0011___%

People were worried about this? Sigh.... I thought aussies were cleverer than this =)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    ....................... I thought aussies were cleverer than this =)
    You did? Seriously?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (02-03-20),Jma (02-03-20),wotnot (02-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    You did? Seriously?
    ...hahaha, fair point ~ it was a decades old thought =)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Just look at the bright side, you can get blue chips for a super bargain right now.
    I just topped up on FMG on Friday, today down another 12% but I don't care because today is EX and they are paying whopping franked dividends.

Even my wife is starting to think this is nothing but a normal flu, which I also indicated very early in this thread based on some figures I mentioned, so many more will eventually wake up to this too.

Just IMHO, not giving trading advice, DYOR.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Whether the virus is just another flue virus or not, the implications of it's perceived threat are happening now.

This is hitting where it hurts a lot of uninfected healthy people, unfortunately that's what quarantine does.

Due to Qatar travel restrictions brought into force affecting passengers from Italy, the premier class will not race at Losail
    Tags , 2020, GRAND PRIX OF QATAR
    FIM, IRTA and Dorna regret to announce the cancellation of all MotoGP™ class sessions at the Grand Prix of Qatar, including the race.

The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has resulted in Qatar travel restrictions being brought into force that affect passengers from Italy, amongst other countries. As of today, all passengers arriving at Doha on direct flights from Italy, or having been in Italy in the past 2 weeks, will be taken straight to quarantine for a minimum of 14 days. Italy clearly plays a vital role in the Championship and in the MotoGP class - both on track and off - and therefore the decision has been taken to cancel premier class competition.

Round 2 Thailand, looks to be postponed.

Following news that the opening round of the MotoGP premier class has been cancelled, new reports suggest that the second round has been postponed indefinitely.
    Thai publication Bangkok Post has said that the Buriram Grand Prix which was scheduled to take place from March 20-22, has been suspended due to the possible spread of coronavirus.
    According to Thailand deputy prime minister and public health minister Anutin Charnvirakul, the event has been postponed until the coronavirus outbreak has abated.
    “It is necessary for us to postpone the Thailand Grand Prix 2020 in Buriram scheduled for late March for an indefinite period since Covid-19 has been declared a dangerous communicable disease which has sent a world-wide impact,” he said.

Oh & we just had our first confirmed case of CoronaVirus in Tasmania, a traveler from Iran.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (02-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Even my wife is starting to think this is nothing but a normal flu, which I also indicated very early in this thread based on some figures I mentioned, so many more will eventually wake up to this too.
    It seems its ability to infect many many people and stay active longer is what the concern is all about.
    The spread seems worse than a flu

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

face ache message

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS
    Last evening dining out with friends, one of their uncles, who's graduated with a master's degree and who worked in Shenzhen Hospital (Guangdong Province, China) sent him the following notes on Coronavirus for guidance:
    1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold
    2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
    3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
    4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.
    5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.
    6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.
    7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.
    8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.
    9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.
    10. Can't emphasise enough - drink plenty of water!
    THE SYMPTOMS
    1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days
    2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.
    3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.
    4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
    SPREAD THE WORD - PLEASE SHARE.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Great time to send our PM, other Politicians and Bank Executives to meet thier Chinese Masters in person

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-03-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    face ache message

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.
    2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia.
    4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning.
    ....????

Quote Originally Posted by FaceAche
    3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees.
    How come it survives and even multiplies massively at body temperature?
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (03-03-20)

Thanks

What is the chance that they will now ban Melbourne F1
    because a heath worker got the flu got infected by this virus.

OB, the only difference with this virus and the flu is that some people allegedly don't get sick but could be carrier, similar to Hep B, so that could explain why it appears to be more contagious but generally a flu can spread like wildfire too, we just have never had so much media coverage every time somebody got infected.

It has been observed that many children do not show symptoms (which makes it more likely for their parents and teachers to catch it) but I only read that somewhere, probably ABC, so could be BS.

• Page 5 of 133 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast