Page 63 of 133 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2647

Thread: Coronavirus

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

I also have no concern about the data collection from this app. Apparently it is fine to use a different name.

The open channel blue tooth 'connection' with no passcode is my greatest concern and could provide hackers easy access to your your phone, which for many ignorant people contains all their life and money matters and access details.
    As I mentioned earlier(things get lost in this mammoth thread) it would not be a great feat to clone the beacons/communication protocol and mimic the app but add 'special features'.

Despite known vulnerabilities being covered with updates, many devices can not be updated.
    The industry likes you to purchase a new phone every year instead.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 28-04-20 at 11:45 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

On the one hand, there are just too many promises about things that are to happen in the future with this app. By people I simply don't trust. We have not seen even any draft legislation yet and indications are we won't for some time. What has been done so far can too easily be undone. And the Governments track record on this type of thing is not good. I opted out of My Health Record even though I think it is very worthwhile, simply because of the ridiculous way it was implemented. Hopefully I can re-consider that one later as concerns are addressed. And the source code has not yet been released, though promises have been made.

On the other hand the motivation for this is very good and worthwhile. The data collected is very limited. We are promised that source code will be released. And, as numerous people have pointed out, Apple and Google already collect far more information about us for far less worthwhile uses. On balance I'm going to somewhat reluctantly install this one.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB44 For This Useful Post:

Jma (28-04-20),Landytrack (28-04-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Interesting article on the app from Gizmodo.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

wotnot (28-04-20)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    What happens when we reintroduce it?
    I said that a fortnight ago but it wasnt taken up complete population testing is the only sure way ??
    There are a few problems here.
    The first is if the virus can become endemic. If it is loose in the entire human population then one of two things happens.
    the virus exhausts hosts and becomes extinct. Or it mutates fast enough in the reservoir to re-infect the same people.

The fun part is, if it becomes extinct in the Australian population but is still wild and out of control in the Americas and Africa, then what?
    You have an isolated population. The moment you open the borders the virus will come flooding in.

So you can imagine in 4 weeks the country is clear. Life goes back to normal here, except with closed borders. Nobody comes in, though there is no reason you can't leave. Anybody wanting to come in would have to be in quarantine for 3 weeks and if somebody in quarantine has the virus, everybody else already there gets extra time in the box.

I'm personally a bit disappointed. Imagine this was Smallpox with a nasty rash and an LD25. That would be a lot more fun as people wouldn't need a lockdown order, they'd barricade themselves in their homes voluntarily.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (29-04-20),Tiny (28-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Tiny (28-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    There are a few problems here.
    All is correct. Few more notes - the virus in it's current state is relatively young and very aggressive. It mutates very fast making all researches for the miracle vaccine quite problematic.
    From what I understand virus doesn't have the goal of killing it's hosts, people are dying only because the virus is young and silly. As it matures it will have to become less aggressive and will probably have the same effect as seasonal flu viruses.
    It could be the same scenario as with SARS few years ago - it disappeared before the vaccine got developed.
    But I believe we have too many ifs as not much is known yet about it.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I was going to put this in the Joke Section.... only it's not even a joke

If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (29-04-20),efab (28-04-20),enf (29-04-20),fred49au (29-04-20),hinekadon (29-04-20),LeroyPatrol (29-04-20),lsemmens (29-04-20),Mr 672A (29-04-20),shred (29-04-20)

Thanks

yep that's about the stupidity of the whole thing
    Get pulled upby the cops and hand cuffed because you were a a couple cm's too close

I can't even work out how they are going to play sport under the current rulings - surely they're not classed as an essential service or are they?? horse racing and you can't go fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Not trying to be funny, but if alcohol wipes and sanitiser kills Bacteria and Viruses , Would not putting alcohol into ones blood stream help combat the Virus?

I have said for many years, a Good straight slug of booze helps me with a cold and I'm not just talking in the moment but rather unquestionably later on with reduced symptoms the next day.
    No biologist but if you can put an antiseptic into the body/ bloodstream, would that not help?
    Were you Trumps advisor?
    Iran took on board your idea, it going great for them, its cured around 650 people

Iran

National coroners’ authority

Feb 20th – April 7th, 2020. 728 deaths from alcohol poisoning

66 last year

5,011 people poisoned with alcohol

90 + people reduced eye site or blindness
    What is more surprising, is Iran is 99% Muslim
    So they are both stupid and hypocrites
    Last edited by ol' boy; 29-04-20 at 04:31 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

george65 (29-04-20),lsemmens (29-04-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Geez, That took a long time. NOT!
    Already the China flu tracking app has been used as a scam base.

Wonder what the number you called was for?

2.4M downloads in 24 Hrs? Gubbermint must be happy as all get out with that. Shows how Gullible people are and happy to be watched by big brother without a care.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Supercars Championship

Just been watching a few videos uploaded by various Supercar Teams post the Melbourne F1 event (or non event)

A lot of them have handled the situation very professionally
    But it's really got me thinking, why can't they be running these events?

They run Horse Racing just fine with no spectators
    But, horse racing stays in each state, so no border crossing and returning

Yet i know heaps of workers that have been flying home to QLD, then flying back to site in Vic.
    And like 666 has mentioned, he got a special pass because he works across the border.

As much as eRacing has been fun
    I really can't see any difference between Horse Racing (Allowed) and Supercar Racing (Not Allowed)
    They can run is spectator free, most watch it on TV anyway.

All this says to me, is its amazing what pull gambling has in the country!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (29-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Just been watching a few videos uploaded by various Supercar Teams post the Melbourne F1 event (or non event)

A lot of them have handled the situation very professionally
    But it's really got me thinking, why can't they be running these events?

I really can't see any difference between Horse Racing (Allowed) and Supercar Racing (Not Allowed)
    They can run is spectator free, most watch it on TV anyway.

All this says to me, is its amazing what pull gambling has in the country!
    The only difference I can see is that all car racing relies on close knit teams. When the cars pit there is a mass of people changing wheels and refuelling etc.
    Not sure what horse racing needs but probably not as much close contact.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of these restrictions defy logic.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Agreed mandc, not as much contact.
    But horse racing as stables at the track, like the pits in car racing, everyone gathers around, trainer, stable hands, etc....

Then the event brings TV broadcast, Track Officials, Event staff, Vets, Ambulance, First Aid, cleaners, etc...

It's probably not too different.
    Especially when Supercars is once every few weeks and Horse Racing is every single day!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,077 Times in 9,094 Posts

The horse racing is a balance. No crowds....the gambling industry doesn't really need them. So leaving it running keeps countless thousands employed, and one must assume they are distancing professionally.

I think that's the rationale anyway...
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    The horse racing is a balance. No crowds....the gambling industry doesn't really need them. So leaving it running keeps countless thousands employed, and one must assume they are distancing professionally.

I think that's the rationale anyway...
    there are a tone of restrictions

if you are an apprentice you can only ride in the zone your master is based

all jockeys - marshals etc are designated zones are not allowed to leave without permission

2 meter distancing

only the trainer and 1 assistant allowed to bring the horse to track

no owners etc allowed near the horse - trainer - property horse is stabled at

temp checks and covid testing must be carried out

list goes on.

a jockey last month went into the wrong zone and theyt got a 6 month ban

not like the ill lick your ass they did with the nrl muppets

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

enf (29-04-20),lsemmens (29-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post

2 meter distancing
    They must give an exception for the barrier
    Cos they all 1 meter apart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    I was going to put this in the Joke Section.... only it's not even a joke
    That's pure gold. I can't work out why the horse racing was kept alive. Of all the non-essential services! [EDIT: note that I'm in Tasmania where some of these things have now been stopped, but belatedly]

Local newspaper had a sob story from a greyhound trainer. Geez... how many people have hundreds of dollars in their pocket now that they would have otherwise lost on the Horsies or the Dogs?

I'm not allowed to go for a walk by myself in a massive reserve that is right across the road, yet I can get in my car and go and spend the day playing golf with a work colleague - but no more than two people in each group. Crazy.
    Last edited by shred; 29-04-20 at 06:32 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    That's pure gold. I can't work out why the horse racing was kept alive. Of all the non-essential services! [EDIT: note that I'm in Tasmania where some of these things have now been stopped, but belatedly]

Horse racing and the associated betting is likely one of the most powerful lobbies in Australia.
    I am not aware how social distancing can be maintained, when you see the horses and their jockeys so close together in the race in comparison to car racing, super cars and F1.

Shred, just out of curiosity, is that your name because you like to shred on the guitar?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 30-04-20 at 12:15 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Shred, just out of curiosity, is that your name because you like to shred on the guitar?
    I'll Lay a tenna on a Document shredder ?? LOL Neville says maybe something to do with Cheese.. lol soon find out.
    Last edited by Johnno; 30-04-20 at 12:36 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (30-04-20)

• Page 63 of 133 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273113 ... LastLast