Page 64 of 133 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2647

Thread: Coronavirus

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

He could be a really good snowboarder.....?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Found a good Australia specific data site that shows recoveries & testing data.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

eaglem (01-05-20),enf (02-05-20),gulliver (01-05-20),Keith (30-04-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

I generally look at recoveries to deaths as an indication of mortality.
    World Wide
    Confirmed 3.19M, Recovered 973K, Deaths 228K

228/973=0.234 close enough to 25% world wide.
    This does't include unreported cases and recoveries, so it is likely to be a lot lower.

Australia it's running at about 1.5%.
    France is still the winner with almost 50% and Uncle Sam is not going to let those toad lickers take the title so easily, they're also close to 50%.
    Even Spain and Italy are running ~33%.

I'm still looking forward to the USA states opening the flood gates and taking their chances. It will be a really good indicator of how bad things can get. And that's first world scenario with good support from neighbouring states who will have resources to share because they maintained a lockdown.

It's the high density and poor infrastructure countries that I'm looking forward to seeing. Much to my disappointment some of these countries seem to be doing ok with lockdowns.
    I'm wondering where the real chaos is happening?

Come on Ghana and Ecuador 33% rises in cases.
    Bangladesh .... a real disappointment. I don't know how they're doing so well.
    Last edited by trash; 30-04-20 at 05:25 PM.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (02-05-20),Tiny (30-04-20)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

NOW HERES THE PROBLEM
    I have just been researching virus infections over time
    Results : Every single virus ever has had a "second wave " due to the evolving of the virus 50% have been worse than the original , including the Spanish flu 1918 which killed the most people
    on its second wave !!!! but thats not shown in the figures So where are we now with the corona ????

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    NOW HERES THE PROBLEM

........................................ So where are we now with the corona ????
    Waiting.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

wotnot (02-05-20)

Thanks

well I believe the the corona is fixed to kill only the innocent.

Notice how all the idiots in the world are still alive, I mean look at all the pollies over seas who are making the most noise they're all still living.
    even the middle east is quiet no conflicts, no suicide bombings

and with no live sport life is really dull and dreary

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 714 Posts

I was talking seriously , sars x2 , birdflu x2 ebola x5 foot and mouth xmultiple spanish x2 swine x multiple hiv x multiple polio x2 and so it goes on
    history hasnt taught us to look past our noses , only how to reach into our pockets , viruses dont care how intelligent you are ,or how much money you have or what religion you are the only way out is complete testing of the whole population , so run out and buy all the toilet paper you can see and dont forget the hand sanitizer as well , yet the shit hasnt even hit the fan yet boys ?

• The Following User Says Thank You to hinekadon For This Useful Post:

wotnot (02-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

I was talking seriously , sars x2 , birdflu x2 ebola x5 foot and mouth xmultiple spanish x2 swine x multiple hiv x multiple polio x2 and so it goes on
    history hasnt taught us to look past our noses , only how to reach into our pockets , viruses dont care how intelligent you are ,or how much money you have or what religion you are the only way out is complete testing of the whole population , so run out and buy all the toilet paper you can see and dont forget the hand sanitizer as well , yet the shit hasnt even hit the fan yet boys ?
    Yep, that's it...in more recent times, the 2nd wave of AIDS as well...at the moment it's a bit like a mexican standoff, with the virus on one side & humanity on the other -- no cure yet, no vaccine, and the virus just sitting there saying to itself "go on, I dare you"...

Human stupidity should take care of the rest =)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (02-05-20),Johnno (02-05-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

As long as our borders are closed for aircraft and cruise ships indefinitely, we(including NZ) are geographically in a good position for that not to happen.
    Mutations are fairly unlikely with the relatively few cases we have here. I have just read in my local area that the reported active cases have dropped from 16 to 2.
    Our weather has also been very helpful here too. The current cold(for us) but very sunny and low humidity conditions remind me of some European January periods where I didn't catch any viral infections.

The majority of Australians are sensible unlike one of our gun loving allies and will continue to practice social distancing in a common sense way, while easing some of the restrictions soon.

As long as our borders stay shut throughout our flu season, we won't be able to import any new virus strains.

I am still concerned about the decision to open the schools with full classes already in week, even if they are staggered.
    That remains a high risk for a flare up. Relying on a single report from numbers of 5 schools before the school holidays and when we still had a low case count, shows how little our 'experts' understand the concept of common sense and distance education that has also been working well at UNI for years.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-05-20 at 11:51 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Johnno (02-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

So where are we now with the corona ????
    Depends, you talking Human Health or Economy?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Johnno (02-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I am still concerned about the decision to open the schools with full classes already in week, even if they are staggered.
    That remains a high risk for a flare up. Relying on a single report from numbers of 5 schools before the school holidays and when we still had a low case count, shows how little our 'experts' understand the concept of common sense and distance education that has also been working well at UNI for years.
    This is worrying if it's connected..

More than a dozen children have been hospitalised in intensive care units in the UK with unusual symptoms which doctors fear are linked to coronavirus.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

Tiny (02-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

What i have found more concerning, are the reports from Doctors and Scientists about the more complicated way this virus is attacking the human body.
    Those 6000 or so "Recovered" in Australia, i wonder what they call "Recovered"?...

Any lasting effects?

I guess this is why we have experts, so we don't have to worry

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

NOW HERES THE PROBLEM
    I have just been researching virus infections over time
    Results : Every single virus ever has had a "second wave " due to the evolving of the virus 50% have been worse than the original , including the Spanish flu 1918 which killed the most people
    on its second wave !!!! but thats not shown in the figures So where are we now with the corona ????
    I think you're jumping to some incorrect conclusions there.
    Lets look closer at the "second wave" theory.

Is the a second wave because of a mutation and one big enough to be genetically different. Like influenza, it's not a second wave, it's ongoing evolution.

Is it a second wave in that the virus is contained but then escapes into a new host population? Like Smallpox. If's also not a second wave, it's the first wave in a different pool.

Or is it a completely new wave, where the virus has a host reservoir and then makes the jump to the human population completely independent of the others, like Ebola.

Or the last type is the virus becomes endemic and we are complacent and it propagates in the population in different ways. Like HIV has done.

Coronavirus has done a few of these.
    It has been SARS, MURS and now CV19. While these are all different coronaviruses, they are all related. Different waves of the same or similar virus, just like Ebola. It has escaped and gone on to infect new populations.

And while there have been very minor mutation in CV19, it has not mutated and does not appear to have any mutations which enable it to go on to re-infect a previous host. The truth is we don't know yet. It's a reasonable assumption that you cannot be re-infected with CV19, we're not seeing any examples of that.
    I would also like to know if anybody infected with SARS or MURS has also contracted CV19. Have these previous Coronaviruses be closely enough related to give an immunity or even attenuated immunity to people?

I do not think there is a "second wave" there is no indication of the virus mutating and reinfecting.
    That leaves two possible second waves. The first is say we clear Australia of the virus, but on asymptomatic case exists and this person infects others who are also asymptomatic before the virus encounters somebody that it does actually kill or is detected and then we realise it's on the loose again within our own borders and we have to lockdown again to catch it. I don't think that is likely to happen.

The real scenarios is that Australia is clear of the virus and we can go back to normal in our own country, while the virus runs rampant overseas.
    At some point in time people are either going to come in as refugees trying to flee the virus, or Australians returning home. There is always going to be some people moving into the country which we can quarantine and manage. But how long can we hold out? If the virus is endemic in the global population and not here at what point in time do we open out borders and the virus comes rushing in.

It's this last scenario that is most likely especially if there is no vaccine.
    Yes I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trash For This Useful Post:

enf (02-05-20),hinekadon (02-05-20),Johnno (02-05-20),Tiny (02-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

And people are worried about COVIDSafe....

I'm sure we have the same here
    Add to that Google Meta Data, and we are screwed anyway

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (02-05-20),Johnno (02-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Coronavirus: Trump stands by China lab origin theory for virus --- I still reckon Trumps an alien. lol Just look at him.. lol

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,964 Times in 9,060 Posts

Here's a different take............just let people die.....apparently we f*cked it up.

I think the very last sentence speaks volumes about this guy...

Unlocked for me....

Australia a ‘standout loser’ for damaging economy without immunity, Nobel prize-winner says

One of the world’s top scientists has branded lockdowns a “huge mistake” and called Australia a “standout loser” for “massively” damaging its economy and society without obtaining immunity to COVID-19.

In an extraordinary 30-minute interview Michael Levitt, who won the Nobel prize for chemistry in 2013, also slammed Baby Boomers for “really screwing up” the world. “If I was a young person now I would say, you guys are going to pay for this,” said Professor Levitt, 72.

Professor of structural biology at Stanford University, he said “panic” stemming from “incorrect numbers” had prompted lockdowns whose damage “will exceed any saving of lives by a huge factor – there is no doubt in my mind”.
    Read Next

Uploaded to UK website Unheard overnight, the professor said Germany and Sweden, with deaths so far per million from COVID-19 of 81 and 264, respectively, were “standout winners” in their response.

“They didn’t practice too much lockdown, enough people got sick to get some herd immunity,” he said.

“And the standout losers are Austria, Australia, Israel, which have had strict lockdowns without many cases. They have damaged their economies, society, harmed the education of their children but not obtained any herd immunity,” he added.
    READ MORE:Pathologists’ push ‘sends test costs soaring’|Official WHO ‘advice’ mocks our unbending restrictions|Trillion dollar debt by 2021|We’re paying a high price for saving not many lives

Deaths per million so far from COVID-19 in Austria, Australia and Israel were 66, 4 and 26 as of Sunday.

The remarks came as virus-stricken Newmarch House nursing home in Sydney confirmed another fatality, bringing the national death toll from COVID-19 to 95.

“Children, even if infected never infect adults, so why not have children at school? Why not have people working?” Professor Levitt said.

His comments came as Education minister Dan Tehan accused Victorian premier Dan Andrews of taking a “sledgehammer” to students’ education for refusing to re-open its schools in line with other states.

On Friday the Prime Minister indicated that National Cabinet might ease restrictions a week earlier than planned, if new infections remained low.

Professor Levitt said “excess deaths” in Europe so far this year had been around 140,000, which was “actually not that much” when seen in context of severe flu seasons. “In some of the worst flu episodes we get to those kinds of numbers, sometimes a bit more or sometimes a bit less,” he added.

“Flu kills young people two or three times more than the coronavirus … if we put those facts into the situation the burden of death from coronavirus will in Europe be less than that of bad flu,” he explained.

Professor Levitt said the response was “another foul up” for his boomer generation. “We’ve caused pollution, global warming, allowed world’s population to increase three fold, and now we’ve left your generation with a real mess,” he said.

The federal government has budgeted around $214bn in stimulus spending to curb the damage caused by lockdown policies, and the RBA expects the economy to shrink 10 per cent this year.

Professor Levitt said “herd immunity” was the “right policy”. Britain, with 441 death per million, “was on exactly the right track before they were fed wrong numbers, and now have made huge mistake,” he said, referring to modelling in March that said 500,000 people would die in Britain.

“If we were to do this again we would insist on face masks, hand sanitiser, and some kind of payment that didn’t involve touching,” he added.

The Stanford professor, who has been closely analysing the infection and fatality numbers globally since January, said the growth in infections was “never exponential” and tended to peter out after about four weeks regardless of the severity of lockdowns.

Epidemiologists had a track record of exaggerating likely death tolls. “They see their role as scaring people into doing something,” he said.

He also slammed the mainstream media for its reporting of the virus. “They should have stressed to people that every day someone dies and these people are in same age band as those who do,” he said.

“I’ve become a huge fan of Twitter, I never used it before, but it’s the best discussion forum I’ve seen since I was a student at Cambridge,” he revealed.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-05-20),DB44 (03-05-20),kclar (03-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

^ Thanks enf

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

DB44 (03-05-20),enf (03-05-20),lsemmens (03-05-20),Tiny (03-05-20),tristen (03-05-20),wotnot (03-05-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

Schools are totally safe...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (03-05-20),ol' boy (03-05-20)

Thanks

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well that is that question solved:

Business owners who ban people from entry unless they have downloaded the government’s coronavirus contact tracing app will face five years in jail and a $63,000 fine under proposed laws.
    The government has released a draft of its legislative backing to privacy and data protections for the COVIDSafe tracing app.
    It proposes to make it illegal for anyone to refuse a person without the app entry to a public place, ban them from an activity or refuse to buy or sell goods and services to them.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (05-05-20),Tiny (05-05-20)

• Page 64 of 133 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114 ... LastLast