Page 9 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

But great for the price of Australian Prawns!

Last edited by ol' boy; 09-03-20 at 01:50 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (10-03-20),hinekadon (09-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Fuel Prices ..... already
    Going by what the A-rabs just did re flooding the market with cheap oil prices should take a plunge in the coming weeks................that is if the market isn't 'fixed'

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,965 Times in 9,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    we're going to be rooted if the next one is actually really serious...........
    Not if we learn the lessons and act on them.....OH! wait......that's right, we never do that do we....like the backburning.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    At least take people's temperature as they arrive, then require them to have basic medical tests at regular intervals afterwards (say, check them for signs of infection after 1 week, then again at 2 weeks).

If someone has fronted up for a test and is deemed likely to be infected, then letting them wander the streets potentially infecting others seems to be taking a very cavalier attitude to public safety. I realise you have to balance things with an individual's right to freedom, but obviously they are not impressing the seriousness of the situation on these people. Maybe a reminder that if they go supermarket shopping or go to work after being told to self isolate and they turn out to be infected, then they may be charged with "reckless endangerment" of others. The charge has been used in the past when people have knowingly risked infecting others with disease.

Yes - and that's a big problem. It could have been isolated within China if the willpower had been there initially.
    I sympathise shred, I really do. But heaps of people come in showing no symptoms whatsoever, who could be incubating such a virus. And always have. Crew on cargo ships who handle things that come ashore, airline staff the same. It's a never ending minefield.

We SHOULD have the resources to do something like you suggest, but no one has ever invested in it and I'm sad to say probably never will.

I'm surprised each way Albo hasn't weighed in yet.....AND it seems the "open borders" Greens are pretty silent....funny that!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,935 Times in 1,510 Posts

But great for the price of Australian Prawns!

Double check the packaging fine print ~ I did the same on a package just like that, proclaiming 'Australian caught Whiting' or such... which -was- Australian caught Whiting, that somehow ends up processed in Korea or Thailand, and then shipped back to the markets here in that packaging, by an Australian company ; it's not even clear who the fishermen were. I'll see if I can find the reference...there's was a bit of a brouhaha about it at some time...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    Double check the packaging fine print ~ I did the same on a package just like that, proclaiming 'Australian caught Whiting' or such... which -was- Australian caught Whiting, that somehow ends up processed in Korea or Thailand, and then shipped back to the markets here in that packaging, by an Australian company ; it's not even clear who the fishermen were. I'll see if I can find the reference...there's was a bit of a brouhaha about it at some time...
    Seems legit...
    Last edited by ol' boy; 09-03-20 at 03:30 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Seems legit...
    Hmmm, not sure it says 'enough' ...getting OT here, but see the thread I just hoisted in this regard =)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hmmm, not sure it says 'enough' ...getting OT here, but see the thread I just hoisted in this regard =)
    Agreed, it's more about what they don't say.
    But for $1.50.... I'm not complaining.

They as good as frozen prawns get I suppose

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (09-03-20),wotnot (09-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    we're going to be rooted if the next one is actually really serious...........
    There are some pretty draconian laws that can be enacted should theo government declare a "public health emergency". I'd like to think that if it were really serious, these would be used. In the meantime, we just have to hope that not too many people get sick all at once and that the public health system isn't too overwhelmed. At least with proper medical care, most people will be ok.
    Last edited by shred; 09-03-20 at 08:17 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    At least with proper medical care, most people will be ok.
    trouble being most emergency dept's are at their limit everym w/end with 8 hour wait times in most hospitals, any more patients and the whole system will collapse

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

enf (10-03-20),george65 (09-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Medicine available

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (10-03-20),lsemmens (10-03-20),shred (09-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    trouble being most emergency dept's are at their limit everym w/end with 8 hour wait times in most hospitals, any more patients and the whole system will collapse
    I was thinking the EXACT same thing.
    Cities are bad enough but have you ever got sick in a country town? I tried finding a Medical Centre to take my Father to a few weeks ago in Taree. Not a small 2 bit town, They have Public and a private hospital and is a regional centre. Just wanted a medical centre, You know, the ones in every larger Sydney Suburb where you walk in, have a bitch if you have to wait an hour in the middle of winter and then get in to see a doc.

The BEST I could do after ringing about 10 places even in the surrounding towns was appointment 6 DAYS away. I could not believe it! I can Drive him to Newcastle in 90 min, Central coast in 2.5 Hours and back here on the ( far) outskirts of Sydney in 4 Hours.
    I rang back his regular GP and told my tale of woe and haste and the guy was good enough to put him in after his last appointment but that was a one off. Wouldn't take that many people to get sick in an area and they would have to be setting up makeshift hospitals in the underground Carpark at Wollies.

I have been wanting him to move closer here and even he saw the merit in that from a health POV.

I have had occasion to be involved with emergency Depts at City Hospitals with family and friends and -I- had to argue and refuse to take them home in order to get them kept over night when they said there were no beds available. In one case a resentful "We can only keep her in one Night then you will have to come get her tomorrow " Turned into a 4 Day stay when the found something I had taken her back there for the 3rd time that week and they said there was nothing wrong.

I wonder how here staff would be treated whom were looking after the Diagnosed ill. Would they be allowed to go home every day or would they be in some Quarantine for who knows how long?

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Fuel Prices ..... already
    Not in SoufOrz yet. Prices are currently the lowest I've seen in months. (What's more it was a long weekend and usually prices escalate exponentially on a LW)
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Same ol' ripoff prices here...............

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Stock Market is loving it
    What now, Sco Mo to the bail out..... Far out, we are sounding more like America everyday
    Our dimwitted government must ban short selling. This is far overdue.
    It is only making the Rich richer at the cost of everybody else(standard policy of the LNP) and they are making a motza on this virus scare right now, probably a lifetime profit gig and it is so predictable.

How many people have died from this Virus in Australia since it emerged? Is it still 3?
    How old were they?

There are, average 97 per month, bloody hell now I must sell ALL my shares.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (10-03-20),kclar (10-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

I still like the parallel case, as in call a 'flu a 'flu and not attempt to rationalize it against other causes of death ;

So far in 2019, 812 influenza-associated deaths have been notified to the NNDSS. The majority of
    deaths were due to influenza A (96%, n=782). Where subtyping information was available, 128 were
    associated with influenza A(H3N2), 29 with influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, and 30 with influenza B. The median
    age of deaths notified was 86 years (range <1 to 106 years).

ref. https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-surveil-ozflu-flucurr.htm/$File/flu-12-2019.pdf

So instead of deaths related to traffic accidents, try accidents in the workplace;

As at 27 February, there have been 28 Australian workers killed at work in 2020.

ref.

I'm sure if I kept digging, I'd find some aussie activity that has the same death rate as covid19....maybe 'deaths caused by choking on a bread roll' or some such.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Cardiovascular Disease kills one Australian every 12 minutes.

Coronavirus killed 3 Australians in a month and there's mass panic and a shortage of sh*t paper.

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

enf (10-03-20),Guiseppe (10-03-20),gulliver (10-03-20),hinekadon (10-03-20),kclar (10-03-20),porkop (11-03-20),Tiny (10-03-20),Uncle Fester (10-03-20),wotnot (10-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

The mortality rate at the start of an out-break or pandemic is always much higher in the beginning.
    Once it infects Multiple thousands of people the mortality rate drops drastically.

Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%. Coronavirus is at 3.4% / those figures will change as more people are tested.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Johnno For This Useful Post:

Tiny (10-03-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

I still like the parallel case, as in call a 'flu a 'flu and not attempt to rationalize it against other causes of death ;

So far in 2019, 812 influenza-associated deaths have been notified to the NNDSS. The majority of
    deaths were due to influenza A (96%, n=782). Where subtyping information was available, 128 were
    associated with influenza A(H3N2), 29 with influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, and 30 with influenza B. The median
    age of deaths notified was 86 years (range <1 to 106 years).

ref. https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/cda-surveil-ozflu-flucurr.htm/$File/flu-12-2019.pdf

So instead of deaths related to traffic accidents, try accidents in the workplace;

As at 27 February, there have been 28 Australian workers killed at work in 2020.

ref.

I'm sure if I kept digging, I'd find some aussie activity that has the same death rate as covid19....maybe 'deaths caused by choking on a bread roll' or some such.

You call or compare with whatever you want. Currently for me, as long as I stay in Australia, Covi19 appears to be the least likely reason I might die soon.

I will even go out on a limb and predict that when our flu season is over in September or so, that we will have a record low number of ALL flu related deaths in Australia, now certainly assured with the travel bans.

But even if people follow the common sense awareness learnt from all this, like washing hands often, some hand sanitiser after using shopping trollies/public handles and learn to stop touching their face(maybe wear gloves), there will be a strong reduction of catching ANY virus or bacterial infection.
    Even if there is no vaccine for Covid19, there will be now a lot more ppl willing to take general flu vaccines although doing a whole family is not cheap.

Of course banning mass gatherings will help too, like it or not.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Just when I thought it couldn't get sillier...

The telling residents that snorting cocaine will not protect them from COVID-19 after a myth circulated online.

"No, cocaine does NOT protect against COVID19," France's Ministry of Solidarity and Health tweeted.

"It is an addictive drug causing serious adverse effects and harmful to the health of people."

• Page 9 of 133 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959109 ... LastLast