Thread: Coronavirus

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    More food for thought....

The Age can go take a running jump with their need for email/ID to read a simple recount, so if others feel like me in that regard, read same story here;

Closer to home however;

"Health authorities in Queensland are working to determine the source of a new mystery virus case who has been infectious in the community for 10 days.

The woman in her 50s was active in Brisbane's northern suburbs, and Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young says she has no known links to existing cases or exposure sites.

All of her household members have so far tested negative, and Dr Young said she had received both vaccination doses."

search 'Queensland records new mystery virus case'

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,071 Times in 9,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    The Age can go take a running jump with their need for email/ID to read a simple recount, so if others feel like me in that regard, read same story here;

Strange, they are the same Channel 9 company..I had no difficulty reading either....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Strange, they are the same Channel 9 company..I had no difficulty reading either....

Good point -- SMH does hoist a pop-up inviting subscription, but it can be dismissed so as one can keep reading - The Age however ;

My best guess is, they've already collected -your- personal information as stated above, and they're still after -my- personal information which they've got a snowball's chance in hell of me handing over =)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Your best guess is wrong. All I get is what you get and it can be dismissed.

I've never given ANY news organisation anything.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Your best guess is wrong. All I get is what you get and it can be dismissed.

I've never given ANY news organisation anything.
    I can't read any of the links there. Looks like I've definitely never given any news organisation anything. Where do you guys dismiss the registration? I seems cannot see the option.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    I can't read any of the links there. Looks like I've definitely never given any news organisation anything. Where do you guys dismiss the registration? I seems cannot see the option.
    On SMH site it's the down arrow top-right of the opopup window (minimizes it to bottom of browser window)

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (05-10-21),fromaron (05-10-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On SMH site it's the down arrow top-right of the opopup window (minimizes it to bottom of browser window)
    Yes, and I get the same with The Age.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I see reality is kicking in for Madam Useless. I hope they got their contact tracing up to scratch while shivering in the back of the closet. Still, having driven off an economic cliff and having then sold out to China, they may be OK.

Premium Member
    Thanks

This squawked in a little while ago -- ever get the impression they've somehow missed the party? =)

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (08-10-21)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

This squawked in a little while ago -- ever get the impression they've somehow missed the party? =)

I'm wondering how/why Qld decided that I need vaccination given that a) I have had two "rasta" shots and I was at home in South Australia at the time....... Maybe they'll fly me to Brisvegas for another shot so I can catch up with friends and Family..........yeah! riiight!!!!!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

wotnot (08-10-21)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I got that on Wednesday, seems unsolicited emails and texts are becoming the norm nowdays, doesn't impress me much, they'd call it spam and probably press charges if we tried it.

I love the disclaimers in the emails...

You're receiving this email because the office of your local Federal Government Member, David Littleproud MP, has previously been in contact with you (or your organisation) as a member of the Maranoa electorate or you've opted in at our website.
    A year or two ago they just started spamming before elections, probably getting details from the electoral roll I guess.
    They were only previously in contact with me by unsolicited means, and I sure didn't opt in.
    Always try to offend at least one person snowflake a day!
    Stop using acronyms!!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

enf (09-10-21),wotnot (08-10-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    I got that on Wednesday, seems unsolicited emails and texts are becoming the norm nowdays, doesn't impress me much, they'd call it spam and probably press charges if we tried it.

I love the disclaimers in the emails...

A year or two ago they just started spamming before elections, probably getting details from the electoral roll I guess.
    They were only previously in contact with me by unsolicited means, and I sure didn't opt in.
    If you look at the screenshot, the message is from the National Emergency Alert warning system (0444 444 444)

It's isn't spam.

And @wotnot:

Emergency services can use Emergency Alert to send a warning message to mobile telephones based on the last known location of the handset and to all telephones based on registered service addresses.
    Seems strange that it took so long to reach you, or were you out of service for a while, or had your phone switched off, maybe when the alert was sent?

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

wotnot (09-10-21)

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    If you look at the screenshot, the message is from the National Emergency Alert warning system (0444 444 444)

It's isn't spam.

Pedantics aside, perhaps in this instance they forgot to tell us they've redefined the term 'emergency'?
    Stop using acronyms!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

wotnot (09-10-21)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    And @wotnot:

Seems strange that it took so long to reach you, or were you out of service for a while, or had your phone switched off, maybe when the alert was sent?
    It's actually a part of the reason I hoist such posts here ~ it interests me to discover just 'where I am' on the emergency squawker. I became interested when, a couple of years back during the bushfires, I realized the only way they could target a specific area, was to query the towers in that area for which phones were pinging off it, and hit those phones. It opened up a premise that such could be used to target a specific demographic if 'misused'.

Anyhow, to your queries -- nope, not off, not out of service, but that said the tower service here is fairly poor -- that is to say, the signal strength is good but often ppl might voice call me, and either I can hear them and they can't hear me, or vice-versa, or they hear the call ringing my phone, which doesn't ring this end, and they're tossed to message bank and regardless of whether they leave a message or not, I get a SMS immediately thereafter, indicating the number called and either did/didn't leave a message...??....so apparently the phone's connected to the tower, but the call couldn't connect. Weird thing is, our NBN fixed wireless, connected to the same tower, always seems to work fine,,,<shrug>.. =)

It just occurred to me there's an elephant in the room --- do you reckon it was deliberate to use the unluckiest number in China, as the AU national emergency broadcast number?

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

I just got another 'get vaccinated' message about 5 minutes ago, exactly the same as the one I got on Wednesday.

Unsolicited and nothing to do with an actual emergency = spam!
    Stop using acronyms!!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

It has to be spam as I was in South Aust, well outside of the target area and months after I had left Queensland. I've also changed phones since then.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following User Says Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Jma (11-10-21)

Banned
    Thanks

Most, if not all, 'young-uns' today will certainly have no remembrance of, nor even historical 'knowledge' of some of the medical dilemmas throughout history!!
    They don't GRASP the life/lifestyle sufferings of the likes of the 'Plague', or 'Polio', or even more contemporary problems with say Measles & birth defects!!
    Most people today, take it for granted, that "That was back then", without even contemplating the massive introduction & improvements with the likes of
    'Vaccines' over the decades, that have been monumental in preserving 'life' globally!! Yet, along come the 'Anti-Vaxers' who/whom think they know it all !! Sigh...

Now along comes this 'Covid-19' catastrophe, which is particularly aggressive towards us in the OLDER age bracket. Well, young people don't care then!! (it seems).
    Many countries have suffered from many thousands of Deaths, but certain people/groups 'play-it-down' due to their ignorance, distrust of Governments, and having
    ill-informed 'friends' literally "pissing in their ears", so they follow the minority like 'Sheep', to the slaughter.

Now, is the current variety of Vaccines 'perfect'... Possibly not... But it's all we have, and was all researched, developed & distributed in RECORD time, as far as
    vaccines typically go, because this speed was/is utterly necessary!!! Damn it, you could walk out to your MailBox & be hit by a rogue car with more certainty than
    suffering from the ill-effects of a vaccine, and yes it 'could' happen!... But the millions of people that can/will be saved by 'FAR' exceeds this incredible minority.

I'm sorry, but the (mostly younger) population who are not only NOT vaccinated, but also blatantly declare that they will 'not', have no caring for other than them
    selves. They forget, or don't even think about, how they can be transmitters, and the recent rise in daily infections recently in NSW, and now Vic, jumping from the
    likes of 100, 200, 500, 1000, 1500 over the last few weeks of defiance, marches, anti-whatever, is indicative of the absolute need for 100% vaccination!!

I'm in W.A. We are blessed with virtually ZERO infections. Where we are, way South of Perth, there has never even been 1 case, as isolation WORKS. Yes, it's a
    pain, but please get vaccinated, if not for yourself, then for the population in general. I'm sorry... (no, I'm not!)... for sounding like a pain.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Ah-Those-Old-Days! For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (12-10-21)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ah-Those-Old-Days! View Post
    Most, if not all, 'young-uns' today will certainly have no remembrance of, nor even historical 'knowledge' of some of the medical dilemmas throughout history!!
    They don't GRASP the life/lifestyle sufferings of the likes of the 'Plague', or 'Polio', or even more contemporary problems with say Measles & birth defects!!
    Most people today, take it for granted, that "That was back then", without even contemplating the massive introduction & improvements with the likes of
    'Vaccines' over the decades, that have been monumental in preserving 'life' globally!! Yet, along come the 'Anti-Vaxers' who/whom think they know it all !! Sigh...

Now along comes this 'Covid-19' catastrophe, which is particularly aggressive towards us in the OLDER age bracket. Well, young people don't care then!! (it seems).
    Many countries have suffered from many thousands of Deaths, but certain people/groups 'play-it-down' due to their ignorance, distrust of Governments, and having
    ill-informed 'friends' literally "pissing in their ears", so they follow the minority like 'Sheep', to the slaughter.

Now, is the current variety of Vaccines 'perfect'... Possibly not... But it's all we have, and was all researched, developed & distributed in RECORD time, as far as
    vaccines typically go, because this speed was/is utterly necessary!!! Damn it, you could walk out to your MailBox & be hit by a rogue car with more certainty than
    suffering from the ill-effects of a vaccine, and yes it 'could' happen!... But the millions of people that can/will be saved by 'FAR' exceeds this incredible minority.

I'm sorry, but the (mostly younger) population who are not only NOT vaccinated, but also blatantly declare that they will 'not', have no caring for other than them
    selves. They forget, or don't even think about, how they can be transmitters, and the recent rise in daily infections recently in NSW, and now Vic, jumping from the
    likes of 100, 200, 500, 1000, 1500 over the last few weeks of defiance, marches, anti-whatever, is indicative of the absolute need for 100% vaccination!!

I'm in W.A. We are blessed with virtually ZERO infections. Where we are, way South of Perth, there has never even been 1 case, as isolation WORKS. Yes, it's a
    pain, but please get vaccinated, if not for yourself, then for the population in general. I'm sorry... (no, I'm not!)... for sounding like a pain.
    You don't sound like a pain to me...though the facts can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

I'd suggest that you start getting West Australians vaccinated and not pretend to worry about the rest of the country. WA and QLD are way behind despite having all the advantages of both distance and isolation, particularly WA. Yes isolation works, but only if the bills are paid, and that depends on taxation raised nation wide, particularly in NSW and Victoria. You know them, they are the ones who are locked out.

I am an ex sandgroper. My brother who still lives there is pretty appalled at what is going on. He's a retiring miner and is vaccinated and regularly tested. He is adamant that shivering in the back of the closet and thinking all is fine doesn't bode well in the long run. Especially with a stretched hospital system, similar to QLDs.

Mustgovern and Palpatine will blame the Feds of course....

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Ah-Those-Old-Days! (17-10-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ah-Those-Old-Days! View Post
    In NSW, unfortunately it’s the ‘oldies’ who have caused much of the damage.

All Sydney outbreaks (Crossroads Hotel, Northern Beaches, Eastern Suburbs) were started by people 65+ not adhering to social distancing or safe work practice rules. Once these outbreaks seeded, the young ones may have spread it further, but the virus got into the community initially on each occasion through the older population.

More importantly on your vaccination point, when vaccines became available, they were only available to the older population (health, emergency, etc workers excepted). Unfortunately the older population chose not to take the vaccine, and from February 2021 to July 2021, only a handful of people (as in 100’s of thousands instead of millions!) above 60 got jabbed.

In July 2021, as soon as the vaccine was made widely available to those under 60, the take up rate skyrocketed. In under 3 months the younger population went ~0 to 75% fully vaxxed - something that took the older population nearly 9 months to do. Vaccine hesitancy was definitely higher in the older population that the younger population, and the vaccination take up rates show that.

If the older population had been vaccinated sooner the younger population would have had quicker access, which would have greatly reduced the severity of current outbreak in NSW.

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    In NSW, unfortunately it’s the ‘oldies’ who have caused much of the damage.

All Sydney outbreaks (Crossroads Hotel, Northern Beaches, Eastern Suburbs) were started by people 65+ not adhering to social distancing or safe work practice rules. Once these outbreaks seeded, the young ones may have spread it further, but the virus got into the community initially on each occasion through the older population.
    Totally disagree, Track drivers, removelist and the last delta strain started from an unvaccinated limo driver. nothing to do with older population.

More importantly on your vaccination point, when vaccines became available, they were only available to the older population (health, emergency, etc workers excepted). Unfortunately the older population chose not to take the vaccine, and from February 2021 to July 2021, only a handful of people (as in 100’s of thousands instead of millions!) above 60 got jabbed.
    AstraZeneca was the first vaccine available, very quickly the name was tarnished with the blood clots, 9 death and lower effectiveness... the use was discontinued in many countries throughout Europe, South Africa + it failed FDA approval. Realizing the shortfalls the government scrambled to order Pfizer and Moderan which have started to reach our shores in March. Meantime the government decided to prioritize the under 59 for Pfizer whilst the over 59 had just one choice, AZ or nothing. So many decided to wait until finally this month these restrictions have been lifted as more m.rna vaccines become available, many have rushed to get the jab, definitely worth the wait.

Something that took the older population nearly 9 months to do. Vaccine hesitancy was definitely higher in the older population that the younger population, and the vaccination take up rates show that. If the older population had been vaccinated sooner the younger population would have had quicker access, which would have greatly reduced the severity of current outbreak in NSW.
    I blame the government for putting all their eggs in one basket relying solely on AZ. Did you know that most elderly who passed from covid after having had the 2 AstraZeneca jabs, just to show you how poorly it performs... As of late hardly nobody is having AstaZenca anymore.

• The Following User Says Thank You to B52 For This Useful Post:

• Page 117 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1767107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127 ... LastLast