Page 11 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    I hear on the grapevine if they didn't let Ferrari in to Australia they might as well not have the event, sounds like once again money trumps all.
    Not sure how reliable a source the grape is though
    I think that is everyones thoughts.....
    Pretty obvious i thought, the red army would by far be the biggest supporters group

Maybe old Italian connections die hard in Melbourne town

The sheer fact ScoMo put a time of 6pm for the ban to be in place is a just a laugh
    If its a health risk, why isn't the ban effective immediately

He is admitting the risk, then delaying the ban for a later time...... What a joke
    Shouldn't he be off in Hawaii during these times?
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-03-20 at 03:46 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    I think that is everyones thoughts.....
    Pretty obvious i thought, the red army would by far be the biggest supporters group

Maybe old Italian connections die hard in Melbourne town

The sheer fact ScoMo put a time of 6pm for the ban to be in place is a just a laugh
    If its a health risk, why isn't the ban effective immediately

He is admitting the risk, then delaying the ban for a later time...... What a joke
    Shouldn't he be off in Hawaii during these times?
    I don't think it's just possible to turn off the tap immediately. Thousands of people have to be informed even IF the procedures are in place. Airports are huge logistical centres spanning several timezones, many organisations and private companies. Not to mention the massive changes to several different computer systems, privately owned and otherwise, that have to be coordinated and synchronised. They need at least a little warning to try to get everyone on the same page at the same time......

It can't be just "snap" and it's done. That's just not realistic at all.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (12-03-20),george65 (11-03-20),lsemmens (12-03-20),Thala Dan (11-03-20),Tiny (11-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    I've had malaria and i'm sure as hell its no worse than that to the majority of the population,
    Not quite so......and I don't underestimate the obvious unpleasant symptoms and mortality risks of malaria.

But three main points of difference:

1. We know a great deal about malaria, having wrestled with, and researched it for a very long time.....by comparison, we know bugger-all about Covid-19.

2. There are now well recognised vaccinations and treatments for malaria..........there are no vaccinations for Covid-19, and few, if any, treatments of proven and repeatable veracity.

3. The Case Fatality Rate for malaria is around 0.3%.....in 2018 there were an estimated 228 million cases of malaria, with 405,000 deaths....that's actually a CFR of 0.177%.
    On current estimates (depending on who you believe) Covid-19 has a CFR of between 1% and 3.4%....the latter number is the most recent estimate put forward by WHO.

So even the lower estimate of the Covid-19 CFR is still three times that of Malaria......that will undoubtedly improve as we learn more about the virus and hopefully develop vaccine(s) and viable treatments.

But we have to deal with the situation as it now stands......and our limited, but increasing, knowledge of the disease.

You can find more information in these links.....there are many reliable medical sites available that convey much the same information:

• The Following User Says Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (11-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    There are, average 97 per month, bloody hell now I must sell ALL my shares.
    Yes, but most of them died as a result of a disease called stupidity........a disease that is very easily avoided.

Fortunately, it is not contagious.....although there are times when I wonder.......

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (11-03-20),hinekadon (11-03-20),Jma (11-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

It's hard, very hard to tell what is media beat up with this, what is being kept hush hush ( if anything) and what the truth really is.

I'm not too worried about getting it myself, Probably because I'm not all that fussed about living or dieing anyway but, I am concerned for my Father.
    He is OK but at 81 like most oldies, doesen't take much to knock him about. The greatest risk is to the elderly and I believe that's who this thing has killed so far in the majority and as such, that's the biggest worry to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jma View Post
    Again, disagree.
    You seem to like saying it's always our fault.
    We never went along with sh*t, we saw it coming a long time ago but as usual we were ignored and never had a choice.

Give us some real options, and by that I mean ones that will work
    Of course it's our fault.

Have you not heard the saying,,,,"Every nation gets the government it deserves"?

If "we saw it coming a long time ago....." why didn't "we" get off our fat, lazy arses and do something about it?

Because we were fat, lazy, and contented, and making easy money out of day-trading on the ASX and flipping houses to one another...or even better still, wealthy Chinese.

The most difficult mental exercise we had to indulge in was deciding whether to get a 55" or a 65" cheap flat-screen TV for the pool room....made in China, of course.

Meanwhile, transnational corporations were busily shipping our natural resources overseas and paying bugger-all tax for the privilege, and our elected representatives were happily playing "Game of Mates".

While we were busy agonizing over gay rights and marriage equality, the Chinese were busy building aircraft carriers and hypersonic missiles....some of which we may get a very close look at sometime in the future.

Did you nominate as an Independent at the last, or previous elections, to address all of these dastardly deeds, or, like the rest of us, did you just dutifully roll up at the polling booth and vote for more of the same?

I agree that we've not seen a decent patriotic statesman/leader in our national parliament for many a long year.......but guess who put the current bunch of bozos in there?

Every time you see one of those bozos mired in scandal and/or corruption, just ask yourself "who the hell voted for that imbecile"?

The answer may not please you.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thala Dan For This Useful Post:

enf (11-03-20),hinekadon (11-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    He is OK but at 81 like most oldies, doesen't take much to knock him about. The greatest risk is to the elderly and I believe that's who this thing has killed so far in the majority and as such, that's the biggest worry to me.
    Yup, the elderly, those battling cancer, basically anyone with a low immune system.

If you were a cynical fella, you'd think it's by design.

I have a few friends battling cancer at present.
    Between their treatment that almost kills them, something like this would just finish them off.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (11-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    It's hard, very hard to tell what is media beat up with this, what is being kept hush hush ( if anything) and what the truth really is.

I'm not too worried about getting it myself, Probably because I'm not all that fussed about living or dieing anyway but, I am concerned for my Father.
    Unfortunately, it seems, at the moment, that the odds are not in his favour........but things are changing rapidly, and he lives in a country where his chances are pretty good compared to many:

alpha0ne (12-03-20),enf (11-03-20),shred (11-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

$15 Billion Dollar stimulus package hey
    We printing money now?

And at the same time, trying to bring in No Cash Payments over $10k
    This Country is a joke

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (11-03-20),shred (11-03-20),Thala Dan (11-03-20)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,963 Times in 9,059 Posts

I'm with you on the $10K....crazy.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (11-03-20),Uncle Fester (12-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

So who's going to be the first forum member to get it?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (11-03-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems, at the moment, that the odds are not in his favour........but things are changing rapidly, and he lives in a country where his chances are pretty good compared to many:

Hahaha, but the US hasn't been testing very many ppl cause they decided to make their own test kits which are in short supply & you have to pay to be tested, unless you have insurance that covers it.
    >>

Note; the latest new cases of Covid-19 are from ppl entering or returning from the USA.

Another Melbourne school has been closed after a teacher who recently returned from the United States was diagnosed with coronavirus, as the Victorian Government activated the State Control Centre to respond to the epidemic.

Reality; the cat is out of the bag, it's here, its spreading, nothing you can do about those that are spreading it, you will only contain/inconvenience some, not all.

For those in the high risk group, they need to be proactive in quarantining themselves to reduce the risk of getting the virus.
    Majority of people will have the virus & be spreading it without knowledge, before they get symptoms; if they get any at all.

This is how I remember the H1N1 Swine flue. They tried to stop it, but couldn't for the same reasons, it is spread primarily before you can contain & diagnose it; & then they lifted the quarantines & travel bans.
    I ended up getting swine flue nearly a year after that epidemic. It was a pig of a virus, but I survived.
    Last edited by Tiny; 11-03-20 at 07:18 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    So who's going to be the first forum member to get it?
    I'm in a self imposed lock down trying to lower my immune system as we speak

Thanks

I'm in a self imposed lock down trying to lower my immune system as we speak
    I've heard that alcohol is very effective in killing the virus, OB.

Something you might like to keep in mind during your exile..........just sayin'

enf (12-03-20),ol' boy (11-03-20),Uncle Fester (12-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Hahaha, but the US hasn't been testing very many ppl cause they decided to make their own test kits which are in short supply & you have to pay to be tested, unless you have insurance that covers it.
    >>

Note; the latest new cases of Covid-19 are from ppl entering or returning from the USA.
    The left hand graph relates to Influenza CFR statistics from the U.S.

The right hand graph relates to Covid-19 CFR statistics from China.

As far as new cases coming from the US........just wait until the GP kicks off in Melbourne

This evenings news.....three F1 team members in quarantine already.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    It was a pig of a virus, but I survived.
    Very droll, sir
    Last edited by Thala Dan; 11-03-20 at 08:06 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thala Dan View Post
    I've heard that alcohol is very effective in killing the virus, OB.

Something you might like to keep in mind during your exile..........just sayin'
    Luckily I had a carton of royal Swan rum turn up last week.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Luckily I had a carton of royal Swan rum turn up last week.....

Doctors' orders, no doubt.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, if Italy is anything to go by

Garlic and Chili does nothing to stave off Coronavirus.
    All Schools Closed
    All Movements banned
    All Sports matches cancelled

Interesting, i don't remember this with Mers or Sars
    Just a Flu hey.... OK

But all good for flights in and out???

Share markets slashed... Did Sars to that?

Music Festivals cancelled in many countries

Trains boarded and occupants inspected.

Very interesting times
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-03-20 at 08:59 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (11-03-20)

Thanks

...their Government imposed a 14 days forced isolation for anyone arriving in the country...

If only we could do that....
    We can do that. All it takes is for the relevant authority to declare a "public health emergency" and they instantly have some very draconian laws available. I suspect nobody wants to be the bad guy and get blamed for the economic or political fallout that will ensue if they do this.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Thala Dan (11-03-20),Uncle Fester (12-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    We can do that. All it takes is for the relevant authority to declare a "public health emergency" and they instantly have some very draconian laws available. I suspect nobody wants to be the bad guy and get blamed for the economic or political fallout that will ensue if they do this.
    Seems that is what England is doing
    Amidst every other country reacting, even Russia!!!!

You'd think Prisoners would be safe in times like these
    Yet Prisons are revolting
    Last edited by ol' boy; 11-03-20 at 09:12 PM.

• Page 11 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast