Page 43 of 133 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Obtaining food is not an excuse to go fishing(with a recreational fishing license) unless it clearly says you can, which it is clearly not:
    Because a bloke sitting in his tinny with nobody for hundreds of metres in any direction is such a danger of spreading infection. There’s an element of “all must suffer” to some of these restrictions.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (01-04-20),george65 (31-03-20),lsemmens (01-04-20),Tiny (31-03-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    You gota wonder about the hype regarding Flattening the Curve.

Surely the law of diminishing returns come into play at some point?

The more people who get the virus the less there are left to get it, of course the curve will flatten.
    I thought you would be smarter than that!
    The whole reason to flatten the curve, NOW, is based on the projected cases needing ICU beds & ventilators, so that the system is not overwhelmed as it has done in Italy.
    Hope you're not one that needs a bed when there are none left.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

admin (31-03-20),Al Bundy (31-03-20),Mr 672A (01-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,967 Times in 1,287 Posts

May be someone can explain

Coles and Woolies are no longer packing your groceries in your own bag's but they touch every item to scan it.

It makes no sense to me.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    You might find this an interesting read

The situation regarding holiday homes in Victoria is unclear, but with Easter coming, I expect it will follow NSW.
    New public health orders in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania will allow courts to jail Australians who leave home without a reasonable excuse including those who attempt to head to their holiday house to ‘self-isolate’. The NSW orders direct that a person must not, without reasonable excuse, leave the person’s place of residence.
    The new orders expressly prohibit citizens ‘self-isolating’ at beach holiday homes: “Taking a holiday in a regional area is not a reasonable excuse.”
    They have to knock it on the head. I understand completely why people with a holiday house want to do it, but its a case of sorry, you cant. These Aspen idiots have created a very serious situation down here, aged care is the main employment industry which shows how many elderly are down here. If it gets in there, lots of people will die. My wife works night shift in aged care and is working 6 days a week, 10 hour days, looking after 30 people on her own. Usually with no break. They don't sleep at night because day staff like to keep them sleepy during the day as they are under staffed.

A large number of staff simply wont work, refuse. Its getting to crisis point just on staffing alone, if there is a corona outbreak it will be disaster.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-04-20),ol' boy (31-03-20),SS Dave (31-03-20),Tiny (31-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    May be someone can explain

Coles and Woolies are no longer packing your groceries in your own bag's but they touch every item to scan it.

It makes no sense to me.

Makes no sense to me that 40 Odd planes a DAY are still coming into Sydney alone from OS including China but there are restrictions preventing people travelling interstate.

Makes no sense to me you can't go fishing or sit on the beach on your own but you can pack into a bus or train with 75 or 150 others or 200+ on a plane.

Makes as much sense to me as trying to keep the flies out by putting a new screen on the front door while the back door is wide open.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (01-04-20),Godzilla (01-04-20),lsemmens (01-04-20),shred (31-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,967 Times in 1,287 Posts

It seems at the moment australia is doing this half assed.

I see groups of teens daily wandering across the park like there is nothing wrong.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

george65 (31-03-20)

Thanks

New public health orders in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania will allow courts to jail Australians who leave home without a reasonable excuse including those who attempt to head to their holiday house to ‘self-isolate’. The NSW orders direct that a person must not, without reasonable excuse, leave the person’s place of residence.
    And I can well see why this is!

Talking to my Dad today who lives in a regional town on the mid north coast.
    3 People have been diagnosed with CCP flu in his town and 5 in the next town 20 Min away.

It's gods waiting room up there as it is. I haven't seen the stats in a long time but I'd be willing to bet more than 70 % of the population is over 60+.
    It gets in those places it will kill Hundreds. No if's or butts about it.

The local base hospital is also a joke and a butcher shop at the best of times if you can EVER get in there. They will be putting people in the fking car park on inflatable mattresses if this gets any momentum. They honestly don't know their arses from their elbows and its more than clear the staff of the hospital there have just given up and don't give a flying fk for some time.

At this time of year, the next town which is full on Tourist with loads of holiday homes is empty. Dad said his house keeper who lives there he was talking to the other day said it's almost as bad as Christmas holidays atm. Things were hard to get in the shops before, now they look like the shelves have been stripped by Locust.

Probably a lot of people thinking they will escape it by leaving the city but taking it with them and spreading it further.

Got to say I'm Fking worried about this.
    If my dad catches it that will be the end of him with his asthma and heart condition and with my own complications, I don't hold much hope of surviving it myself if I get it. Lot of things going against me surviving it.

Spose a few would say no great loss in me kicking the bucket.
    Think it's time to have a talk to my daughter and write some notes just in case. If I do it I won't need them but if I don't,..... Karma

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-04-20),VroomVroom (01-04-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Makes no sense to me that 40 Odd planes a DAY are still coming into Sydney alone from OS including China but there are restrictions preventing people travelling interstate.

Makes no sense to me you can't go fishing or sit on the beach on your own but you can pack into a bus or train with 75 or 150 others or 200+ on a plane.

Makes as much sense to me as trying to keep the flies out by putting a new screen on the front door while the back door is wide open.
    The planes flying here contain Australia citizens and residents, returning to Australia as instructed by their Government. No foreigner has been permitted into Australia for a more than a fortnight. Surely you understand there are many thousands (even 10s of thousands) of Australians who are out of the country and are trying to get home?

EVERY person who flies into Australia is now taken directly from the airport to designated hotels, where they are quarantined for a fortnight. They are guarded by police and army reserves and are not permitted to leave their rooms for any reason.

Makes perfect sense.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

enf (01-04-20),Godzilla (01-04-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    And I can well see why this is!

It's gods waiting room up there as it is. I haven't seen the stats in a long time but I'd be willing to bet more than 70 % of the population is over 60+.
    For that area perhaps (or anywhere people go to 'retire'...in Qld like 1770, Agnus Waters...blabla ... but nationally? Nah...not according to the abs ;

Mind you, that's in error - I know - never filled out a census form in my life ; never seen that reflect in the stats either ..ie; number of Australians who never filled/returned census forms =)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Because a bloke sitting in his tinny with nobody for hundreds of metres in any direction is such a danger of spreading infection. There’s an element of “all must suffer” to some of these restrictions.

I didn't make the laws and find that one ridiculous too.
    OB asked for member's interpretation but mine is apparently not valued here.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I wonder if you could circumnavigate the new social distancing rules by wearing a Collingwood jumper?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

enf (01-04-20),Godzilla (01-04-20),lsemmens (01-04-20),SS Dave (01-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    For that area perhaps (or anywhere people go to 'retire'...in Qld like 1770, Agnus Waters...blabla ... but nationally? Nah...not according to the abs ;
    That's what I was talking about, that AREA. Like most regional centres, there has been Fk all employment up there for 40 years. Being on the coast the retirees flock there. There are ship loads of retirement homes up there as well as just people in their own homes. The retirees don't need or want employment, they just want to finish their days in the sun.

The majority of the ones that were born and bred there that have anything between their ears go to Shitney or Brisbane where there is more than farm work or packing shelves. Only further education up there is the TAFE and that's limited in what that offers.

OTOH, the retirees can sell up their Sydney homes and go up there and buy a brand new house near the water and never have to worry about money again.
    They build whole suburb size estates catering for these people. Low maintence, everything flat with no steps, double size showers, grab rails etc.

You only have to look at the amount of different clubs for bowls, Bingo Senior citz organisations, home healthcare etc and all the rest of them for the population to see what the demographics of the area are.
    More medical centres than any area of Sydney I have seen and you can't get into any of them for a week. I tried In early feb and found out.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (01-04-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I didn't make the laws and find that one ridiculous too.
    OB asked for member's interpretation but mine is apparently not valued here.
    I wasn’t criticising your comment and I’m sorry if it came across that way. It was a general comment on how silly some of these laws are getting.

• The Following User Says Thank You to shred For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (31-03-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Russia is helping the USA:

...the USA may be asked to return the favour one day.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (01-04-20),lsemmens (01-04-20),Tiny (01-04-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

Our local hospital is more of a nursing home than a hospital. We only have one Doctor in the town. It might be useful if you get a splinter, beyond that, I always head to town. If anyone in our town catches it, most of the population will be wiped out as there are very few below 60 though we do have an area high school and primary school.

The real concern is that we might end up being the carriers as since the beginning of the year SWMBO has been hospitalised 3 times in 3 different hospitals all in the big smoke. (All necessary, and for different reasons).
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,528 Posts

I'd hedge a bet if I do contract it, I'll end up being a carrier ~ I haven't had a cold/cough/'flu for the last 30 years to memory...and I'm 61 ...

..either that, or it'll kill me outright =) I'm non-plus about both possibilities ; I've had a interesting innings, I don't have a bucket list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    I thought you would be smarter than that!
    The whole reason to flatten the curve, NOW, is based on the projected cases needing ICU beds & ventilators, so that the system is not overwhelmed as it has done in Italy.
    Hope you're not one that needs a bed when there are none left.
    I know why they are trying to do this, however my point was, even if they do nothing, eventually the curve will start to flatten.

However if they closed the border earlier, and were more particular with returning citizens, the curve would be a whole lot lower anyway. In fact they might have kept this out of the general population.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post

The real concern is that we might end up being the carriers as since the beginning of the year SWMBO has been hospitalised 3 times in 3 different hospitals all in the big smoke. (All necessary, and for different reasons).
    By allowing yourselves to be treated/hospitalised in the big smoke rather than from the local doctor and otherwise always staying at home and have groceries delivered, you will not wipe out your town.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-04-20 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    The planes flying here contain Australia citizens and residents, returning to Australia as instructed by their Government. No foreigner has been permitted into Australia for a more than a fortnight. Surely you understand there are many thousands (even 10s of thousands) of Australians who are out of the country and are trying to get home?

Yeah, Nah.
    Don't buy it. This late in the piece anyone that was coming home would already be home. Upwards of 40 planes a day have been coming in for the last 10 days plus and that's JUST to Sydney. Last week there were 4 Planes coming in to Melbourne and 2 Coming into Sydney from Kula Lumpur alone in one morning and every day there are 3-4 coming into Sydney still. There are loads of planes from NZ coming in every day as well. Not that many damn tourists over there now.

It's a lot more than Australian Citz coming in that's for sure. Look at the arrival boards online yourself and see how many are coming in to every airport.
    They are coming in every day from small places like Fiji, samoa etc and again, not that many aussies there at any one time and certainly not a fortnight into this.

EVERY person who flies into Australia is now taken directly from the airport to designated hotels, where they are quarantined for a fortnight. They are guarded by police and army reserves and are not permitted to leave their rooms for any reason.
    There is a lot of info not on MSM to question that which I do. I'm sure that is the rhetoric the Gubbermint wants to spin but i'd guarantee reality is a different thing. They let 3000 People walk off a heavily infected cruise ship. With stupidity like that I question anything they say they are doing.

Even if the planes are half full, work that out times forty+ a day for a fortnight and see home many that adds up to. 6000 MINIMUM.

Yeah right they are all going to hotels.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

I wonder? Fake?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• Page 43 of 133 FirstFirst ... 33343536373839404142434445464748495051525393 ... LastLast