Page 18 of 133 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post

CORONA, WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YA?

Looks like no planes going to Finland, seems a good place to hide.

But then above it said the Virus can't tolerate more than 26-27o and hates the sun so maybe the dessert is a better idea?

Maybe just cranking the aircon up to 30 all winter would help too.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Read the same on WeChat in chinese.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 1,533 Posts

Having myself contracted HCV (hepatitis C) in the late 70's from a tainted blood transfusion, and living for so many years with that virus rendering my liver tissue into scar tissue (fibrosis), until a cure for that specific HCV strain (there's 7 in total) I was suffering from was developed in 2017, I know you can't talk about fibrosis in such general, unspecific terms. Afaik, just in regards the pulmonary system, there's at least 3 or 4 kinds of fibrosis that can affect that part of the body ~ asbestosis is one many would be aware of, itself being a cause/form of pulmonary fibrosis. That "Stanford" advice, is possibly applicable to the very young, or the very old (already subject to some palliative care) or subject to some other pre-existing medical condition.

This is why all this raw data we're seeing is ostensibly meaningless to me ~ some other member here pointed out how good the practice of data gathering is these days ~ true, but does than infer we plebeians get to see it? Nah... we can't take any relative meaning from the data, for instance reporting '4000 people dead', until you see the breakdown of what age groups, demographic dispositions, and overall general health/medical history of each of the deceased actually was at or leading up to the time of death. }shrug{ ...that's how you have to treat these things.

In the grand scheme of things, 7.8billion people are going to be relatively unaffected by a few thousand deaths ... in fact, one begins to wonder just how many deaths would need to take place, for whatever the reason, to actually impact our species' continued proliferation across the face of the planet. The greater majority will live, inherit natural immunity or some cure/vaccine will be developed, just like in times past...and life will go on as before, until it happens again ... and of -that-, you can be sure =)

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (16-03-20),enf (15-03-20),Jma (15-03-20),Johnno (15-03-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,228 Times in 582 Posts

Sorry to hear that wotnot, The raw data is meaningless bcoz we have no experince in it's collection. /very inexperienced

That's why Europe and the US are behind the eight ball. Singapore and Taiwan/Sth Korea have a better system in place and the figures show..

Sadly, viruses don't wait for policies to get OK'd Or do they have a Time-Out because it's the weekend and the footy is on. lol

i believe it's only a matter of time before they Lock down the City of Melbourne and other cities..

This Government is following the Europeans and the US and data is not all there.. complete disaster.
    Last edited by Johnno; 15-03-20 at 10:00 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Geez it's really tee'd off now

Our little supermarket has Wuhan Virus digital warnings on each Checkout Screen
    The morning bretho at work has been canned because of people breathing....

Sadly no implementation of a Temperature scanner though.
    And there is a pre start meeting at many schools tomorrow

Lets the Aussie Wuhan Games begin
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

Johnno (15-03-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hinekadon View Post
    IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS 1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.
    I wish people would stop going on about these lists that are obviously incorrect and DYOR!!!

If the virus dies at 27˚C how come it doesn't die in a human body that is over 36˚C and breeds quite happily?

I have done searches on my own and find reports from more reliable sources that the virus can survive 9 days on metallic or other hard surfaces, colder surfaces even longer.

But what drinking ice cold drinks has to do with it makes no sense, unless somebody sneezed on the ice.
    I will continue to drink cold beer and be assured that will not be the reason why I might catch the virus.

My son going to school however will be a likely reason as I will not know until it is too late because he might never show symptoms.

So I have supplied him with a small sprayer that contains an 0.6% solution of H2O2 (diluted with distilled water) to spay the desks he has to use and wipe with tissue after one minute, in an attempt to kill the virus from former students who may have coughed and sneezed all over the desks.

Gargling that 0.5% H2O2 solution would make a lot of sense too for those who think that they might be infected. It is actually printed on the bottle to use as mouth wash.

Edit: BTW benzalkonium chloride mentioned in that article that is found less effective is the active ingredient in Dettol.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-03-20 at 09:40 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

shred (16-03-20)

Thanks

hehe...Have you ever watched 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' the old man uses Windex and swears that it kills everything...LOL

I'm a Dettol fanboy myself..lol

Thanks

"BTW benzalkonium chloride mentioned in that article that is found less effective is the active ingredient in Dettol."

Uncle Fester,,,,,That link is CALLING MY DADDY a LIAR.. lol hehe
    Last edited by Johnno; 15-03-20 at 09:22 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    "BTW benzalkonium chloride mentioned in that article that is found less effective is the active ingredient in Dettol."

Uncle Fester,,,,,YOU CALLING MY DADDY a LIAR? lol

The researchers who ran those tests, not me, I am only the messenger.

I am an ethanol fan myself(found equally effective in the tests) but I can't have my son bringing 70% distillate to school as all his buddies might drink it
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 15-03-20 at 09:26 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

enf (16-03-20),Johnno (15-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

As much as Sydney Watson makes my ears bleed
    Here is an insight into an American COVID-19 Hospital Check

Hopefully its handled a lot better in Australia
    It also highlights the costs, if you are in America

Last edited by ol' boy; 15-03-20 at 09:33 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Johnno (15-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

With the working week starting and WorkSafe Victoria new Manslaughter in the WorkPlace laws coming into effect July 1
    And all the HSE Officers and Departments out there, i wonder if this will be a consideration??

Anyway, here is all WorkSafe Victoria have to say on the matter, they hand balled it to VicGov Human Services.... Typical.

Only 100 views, was hardly worth making

enf (16-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Live Updates:

Interesting move.... Especially as many Elderly have young people shop for them, ESPECIALLY in these times of isolation

Australian Associated Press is reporting that Woolworths, one of Australia’s two big supermarket chains, will open its doors only to the elderly and disabled for an hour on Tuesday morning.

Woolworths will open its doors exclusively to the elderly and people with disabilities for a dedicated shopping hour, after panic buying due to the coronavirus stripped shelves of essentials items.

Most of its supermarkets across the nation will open to the vulnerable only from 7am to 8am, beginning on Tuesday.

Panic buying in recent weeks sparked by the spread of Covid-19 in Australia has seen supermarkets stripped of toilet paper, pasta and tinned and other dried goods.

“The move has been prompted by the unprecedented demand in supermarkets over the past week, which has seen many elderly and vulnerable people in the community missing out on vital items they may need when they shop,” Woolworths announced on Monday.

The managing director, Claire Peters, said despite the retailer’s attempts to quickly restock shelves, many elderly customers had continued to miss out.

“This temporary measure will give them, and those with a disability, the opportunity to shop before our stores officially open - helping them obtain the essential items they need most in a less crowded environment,” Peters said.

Access will be granted if the shopper has a relevant government issued concession card.
    All other shoppers will be granted access after 8am.

“Now - more than ever - we need to be kind to each other,” Peters said.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 16-03-20 at 08:07 AM.

hinekadon (16-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

From a Swedish mate of mine ;

"In Sweden it's a circus. We stopped testing in the midst of a case explosion because we have no resources to test people. Now no-one have any idea how many are infected here. It's surreal. Companies are closing down like mad"

Another buddy in Holland is subject to this ->

I asked my Swedish mate if he'd heard anything about Greta? He replied..."How dare you cough near me!"

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

enf (16-03-20),gulliver (16-03-20),hinekadon (16-03-20),ol' boy (16-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

hinekadon (16-03-20),ol' boy (16-03-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well it's Monday at 10am
    Didn't take long and it's already in Mining Camp Sites.

Positive Test from a QLD mine so far.
    Officially quoted as 1
    Doctor says it's more like 20 people...

And that is just 1 camp!

Spin the Corona bottle begins
    Last edited by ol' boy; 16-03-20 at 10:50 AM.

hinekadon (16-03-20)

Thanks

Glastonbury appears to be in doubt ...
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    Glastonbury appears to be in doubt ...
    Attendance: 203,500 (2019)

hinekadon (16-03-20)

Thanks

Attendance: 203,500 (2019)
    1500 (1970)
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guiseppe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Spin the Corona bottle begins
    I think a lot of people took this as a media beat up at first.
    Not so much now.

I can't remember (not that means much) anything in my lifetime where so many things were closed down and there being runs on supplies like this.

It seems the TP panic is not just here. Mate in the states emailed me and said it's the same there.

Somewhat frightening times ahead I think.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees. It hates the Sun.
    SO, if this were to be believed then it would die a natural death the moment it hits your body. normal Body temp is 37.

Ignore this, been covered already. That'll teach me not to finish reading a thread before I engage my "mouth"!
    Last edited by lsemmens; 16-03-20 at 01:27 PM.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 18 of 133 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast