Thread: Hernia Surgery

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Default Hernia Surgery

Well, I have had the distinct displeasure of inguinal hernia repair surgery.
    Didn't quite expect how much pain i would have post-op (wishful thinking perhaps). Seventeen days since surgery and now feeling normal again but still sore.
    Curious to know the experiences of other members? Had a laparoscopic procedure and thankfully the bruising is all but gone now.
    As an aside, is it just me or do others find general anaesthesia quite a trippy experience?
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (31-01-20)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

General I didn't even know I was out or still on it when waking up. Apparently I was quite chatty with the doctor though LOL. I found the 6 pack of valium in the arm, when I has vasectomy was pretty good though. I even thought it was funny when I could see my Vas Deferens protruding from my nut sac, and being snipped.. Must have been good stuff to put me in that frame of mind.

Glad to hear you're feeling better though ;-)

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

TVguy (30-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Had bilateral hernia repair with mesh a few years ago. He also vasectomised me as he had to push them aside anyway. $30 extra...bargain.

Was a bit uncomfortable but all good since. Some of the cocktails they use these days for anaesthetics can be very trippy. I actually like to go along for the ride.

Done through a hole under the belly button...can't even see the scar now.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

TVguy (30-01-20)

Thanks

most keyhole ones fail and you end up getting it redone in the old fashion way..been there done that

• The Following User Says Thank You to coalminer For This Useful Post:

enf (30-01-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

It's about 35years since I had the chop, so can't comment. I have had surgery since, but all I remember is going to sleep and waking up.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,969 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TVguy View Post
    Well, I have had the distinct displeasure of inguinal hernia repair surgery.
    Didn't quite expect how much pain i would have post-op (wishful thinking perhaps). Seventeen days since surgery and now feeling normal again but still sore.
    Curious to know the experiences of other members? Had a laparoscopic procedure and thankfully the bruising is all but gone now.
    As an aside, is it just me or do others find general anaesthesia quite a trippy experience?
    Gee thanks now I am not looking forward to my Hernia surgery so much now. But the drugs could be good.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    Gee thanks now I am not looking forward to my Hernia surgery so much now. But the drugs could be good.
    Yeah, but they won't give you any take away to go... LOL

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

TVguy (31-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,969 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    Yeah, but they won't give you any take away to go... LOL
    Bummer
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

TVguy (31-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,529 Posts

lol, sadly not. Everything's high speed scheduled now, went through it at the local hosp. 5 months ago, in at 07:30 / out by Noon. Mine was for umbilical hernia correction surgery, traditional open cut mining method, cut abdominal wall a little to poke guts/fat back in, stitch it all up replete with mesh (I asked if it was a Pirelli =), cosmetic addition of claytons belly-button (laughingly cursed the surgeon later 'coz had I known, I would've gone for no belly-button and scared with kids with tales that I was actually a clone..look, see! =), dissolving sutures, survive post-op care, and send you home with a script for some panadol...

..later, as the OP recalls all too well, once the 'good stuff' wears off, the pain level is unexpected...perhaps at the same time giving one enlightenment on just how much you rely on abdominal wall muscle strength in everyday life. It took me about 3-4months before the surgery slipped into the autonomic part of life again, largely not noticed. Takes time, varies from person to person.

As for the effects of the anesthetic being trippy... what kind of 'trippy' do you mean exactly? Mandc got it right above with use of the word 'cocktail' ; bob_m_54 reports a common (deliberate) side-effect of one part of the cocktail ..short term amnesia. What the anesthetist decides to use on you differs from procedure to procedure, and patient to patient, but for these sorts of ops it's usually a combination of a sedative and a mind/body disassoctiative type drug. Those who have been there may recall hearing the words in theater "this is just something to help you relax & sleep"..that's the sedative, later comes the stuff that disassociates your mind from your body, so you don't notice or remember the pain/tissue trauma inflicted during the operation itself. A lot of people report short term amnesia in that they can't recall events of the previous day or so.

What happens when you regain consciousness, depend on how exactly (or how fast) your body metabolizes the drugs used. Also, patients are often unaware they may be administered addition pain control medication, after the surgery is completed but before they actually regain consciousness. Usually if you regain consciousness 'too early' as it were, and your body hasn't yet gotten rid of the drugs used, you usually feel dopey/groggy (painkillers/sedatives), and complete vagueness regarding who you are, where you are, what your name is, and you feel like you might be part of a 3D shooter, and THIS is what it's like for Gordon Freeman ...and pass out again. Next time you wake up, it'll all be good. If you ever wondered why attendant post op nurses ask you questions like 'whats your name?', 'do you know where you are?' such and similar, they're actually checking the mind/body disassociative has been metabolized out of your system, and the id of 'you' is back in control again.

'Trippy' is a relative word to me ; to some folks the effects of eating gold-top mushrooms is trippy - to others the effects engender the horror of impending death because they ate poison mushrooms, and they can't get to the hospital quick enough for a stomach pump/dose of ipecac.

These anesthetic drugs are certainly not trippy in the same way LSD very much is trippy. The closest drug I can think of that engists the same sort of trippy these anesthetics do (without the sedative being involved) is ketamine. It too was originally developed as an anesthetic for use with children (and small animals in vet surgery), where it's beneficial to keep the patient's body resting but otherwise 'awake' (like lying down and being awake, and not sleeping). I'm not sure if they still use ket. today on people professionally, but certainly it's found it's way into the drug culture/market for it's trippy qualities, but not many know it's actually a mind/body disassociative and what it's used for, 'properly'...not recreationally =)

Glad you're healing up - these days getting in and out of hospital without picking up golden-staph for your trouble, is more a threat than the actual procedure itself.
    Last edited by wotnot; 31-01-20 at 02:36 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

TVguy (31-01-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    As for the effects of the anesthetic being trippy... what kind of 'trippy' do you mean exactly?
    Euphoric and disassociated.

'Trippy' is a relative word to me ; to some folks the effects of eating gold-top mushrooms is trippy - to others the effects engender the horror of impending death because they ate poison mushrooms, and they can't get to the hospital quick enough for a stomach pump/dose of ipecac.
    Perhaps I was remiss in my use of adjective. It was not akin to any hallucinogenic high, rather a very mellow state.
    The fentanyl was very nice; bear in mind I nearly died from acute pancreatitis and had more morphine in two weeks than many will have in a lifetime (ten years ago now).
    Did like the subtle buzz and peacefulness of post-op anaesthesia as well as the pain killers. Funny thing is, the drugs do not make me sleep. I stayed awake all night and the next day.
    Was told by my Doctor (Professor) when I had pancreatitis that I am officially deemed to be a "Stoic": one who presents when they are essentially moribund. Maybe it's why I liked the euphoria of the almost "out of body" experience?

Glad you're healing up - these days getting in and out of hospital without picking up golden-staph for your trouble, is more a threat than the actual procedure itself.
    Thank you very much for the kind words. It is greatly appreciated. Back to work on Monday.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    From a survey of one, please do not take my experience as indicative of anything. Your millage may vary.
    Hope it goes well. I feel much better now and am grateful my surgeon operates on a "no-gap" policy. Quite a rarity these days.
    Cheers

• The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

SS Dave (31-01-20)