Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of living in Australia

Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 724 Posts

Default Cost of living in Australia

Some interesting thoughts on a subject near and dear to all.

Of course, a lot of this has to be considered in the context of average annual income....but I don't think we're setting any international records these days in that regard.

The not-so-lucky country: From groceries and beer to electricity, childcare and housing - how Australians pay far more than people in other countries for life's necessities

Australians are struggling under the weight of pricey groceries, a surge in power costs and even extortionate beers, with life's necessities more expensive than ever - especially compared to other G20 countries.

Regularly paying more than Switzerland, Japan or America, families are straining to afford everyday goods - despite inflation of just 1.8 per cent.

Families have to cough up for some of the most expensive childcare on earth, and the priciest alcohol outside of Muslim-majority nations, according to analysis by Daily Mail Australia.

While economists expect prices to rise in countries with high inflation rates, costs of everyday items in Australia regular outstrip the rest of the world.

Still a good place to live though......I think

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Yet its still one of the best places on earth to live though meat/fruit and veg have gone up ~ 40% here over the last 3~4 years

Even living off a disability pension I can still afford a few Basil Hayden/Legent/Woodford drinkies each night so not much to complain about apart from the usual hatred of the political class/lefties/bureaucracy/councils/MSM/greeeenies/get off my 'kin lawn you cretin !!!!!!

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

you can add expensive insurance to the cost of living - our house was $1100 ish last year ,now its $1400 ish. and the govt take 10% of that for not doing a damn thing!!

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-02-20),eaglem (03-02-20),hinekadon (03-02-20)

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I think the cost of living in Australia is related to many things, including our wage level and unionism.

I'm not complaining about our wages but in reality you cant expect something for nothing, there is a flow on effect of everything when money in concerned.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

eaglem (03-02-20)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

For us on the Pension we cut things that you can.
    1/ HOUSE Insurance = We have Insurance via YOUI but Dont Insure your car with them as they SCREW YOU. (will put a post on them as they really SCREW YOU and most dont know this, the more cars you insure with them the more they screw you)
    2/ BEER = We dont Drink
    3/ HOUSING we own our house or houses for the last 20 years.
    4/ ELECTRICITY= We have never paid a BILL since 2009. Actually we still make a good profit every quarter yet we burn Electricity in the House.
    5/ CHILD CARE = Well if you have KID you must look after them. I'm the Old school, Make the KIDs one of the Parent look after them, If I was a Dictator I would shut down all Child Centers down full stop.
    6/ GROCERIES = Buy ar Aldi and for Fruit find the cheapest Wholesale Fruit market
    7/ FUEL = fill your cars up on the Cheap Cycle ONLY.
    8/ WATER RATES = We Save heaps because we use Rain Water for Bird Cage Cleaning duties, All the Toilets are Gravity Feed water, + other. Never run out of water we have 20,000 Lts of water and when it rains we have a Very Good catchment area to fill them.
    9/ Hot water = We have a 3 Panel 340 LTR hot water servive that does not use Electricty from August to May every year, Yeah we save Heaps.

I can ramble on more but if you are smart Enough you can get around most of them by using your brain and as you know my brain is scattered by a stroke.

I'm always trying to save money, I love it, but I'm not GOD so If I can do it others can do it but the trouble is most did not see what was in your face years Ago,,, housing, big hikes in Electricity and other.

We live Good on a PENSION

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (03-02-20),iannic52 (03-02-20),LeroyPatrol (03-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

some pensioners I see don't live so good. I've attended a job at their places in winter and it's so cold they have the front door open as it's warmer! They can't afford the bill to heat their homes.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

We live on disability pensions, if our medical costs weren't so exorbitant, then, maybe, we'd do alright. Currently, we owe several thousand to electricity and council rates, not to mention all the other bills, too. Our local Chemist just gave us our monthly account, $365 odd dollars, even though we paid a $100 a couple of weeks back. I got a letter yesterday telling me that I'd forgotten to re-register our car. Norty werd! I had to take SWMBO to hospital last week which included travelling through several cameras, I bet one of them will be set up to bill me for unregistered.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    We live on disability pensions, if our medical costs weren't so exorbitant, then, maybe, we'd do alright. Currently, we owe several thousand to electricity and council rates, not to mention all the other bills, too. Our local Chemist just gave us our monthly account, $365 odd dollars, even though we paid a $100 a couple of weeks back. I got a letter yesterday telling me that I'd forgotten to re-register our car. Norty werd! I had to take SWMBO to hospital last week which included travelling through several cameras, I bet one of them will be set up to bill me for unregistered.
    Yes same here, just come back from the chemist with Tabs for Heart attack, Stroke and others. I paid $6.60 for one script and in total I left with a Bag full of Medical Tabs and that cost me about $65. Trust me We get the the Limit very Quickly as both myself and My wife Drain the chemist and after about March-April we reach the limits and we dont need to pay anymore.
    As For Winter, When I had the House built I asked for Sarking under the Tiles, and used 100 or even larger Insulation BATTS over our main rooms + the eat room where we watch the TV, actually all the house is insulated but some room its thicker. Our Main TV Room that has 12 Telle's + the computer Room it has a Air Con as it needs it because of the temp of All the devices when you turn them on.

Arghhhh By the way. In winter we have a Large Furry Cat that Keeps me warm
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 03-02-20 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks

I'm very tight with My Money, I even go to Hock shops to buy Clothes from that cheap Shops so does the wife. I HATE PAYING BILLS so I limit them but now and then I spend money to buying Something around the House. If everyone following what I did years ago they would have No electricity bills + earn 300 to 350 buck ever Quarter and the end of the year Its Christmas Yeah!! Use very little water as I keep a Eye on it even when watching out main Tv watching a Movie I know what the HWS or The water Tanks are doing + the Solar PV System is Monitored just to make sure everything is working OK.
    By the way I had a word to say to my other half as she spend over $4000 on Bird food this summer alone for rescue birds as we are carers for wild Life. The Government give us Sweet F.. All.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

All stands to reason doesn't it

We have world high wages, hence we have world high cost of living.... aka The Australia Tax

The very sad part is those that have worked in this country for years and now on minimal money, pension, etc and still expected to survive

The amount of Pommies, Portuguese, Canadians that come to Australia to steal out project work is insane..
    An Aussie pays $1900 a week in Tax, they pay $600 in Tax then piss off back to thier own country with our coin.

It sure is a lucky country for some, just don't live here!
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Lets fking face it, a BIG part of the cost of living here is we have brought in and are supporting too many dead shit bludging Immigrants that will never fit in with our society and only come here because they know they can live a better life than the shit hole they left never working a day in their life. We have done it for years and insist on doing it to the present day with the likes of the Sudanese and others that want to take the country down not do a thing to contribute to it.

There seems to be a policy where we give preference to allowing in the garbage and deadbeats of the world while making it hard as possible for those whom would be productive, contributing citizens that would be proud Australians and an asset to the country. The stupidity and waiting times People I know that are skilled workers, productive members of society that have assimilated into the population and become good Australians is bullshit. We should have grabbed them with both hands not made them wait and jump though hoops.

The unskilled, violent useless trash get in with just a whinge and a sook and will be having the taxpayers paying for them in or out of prison for the rest of their lives while they continue to bitch about the hand that feeds them and preach nothing but hatred for the place THEY wanted to come to.

Course we aren't supposed to talk about such politically incorrect things no matter how true or significant. The correct way to think is to feel sorry for these disenfranchised poor violent oppressed souls and ignore the facts and just paint them in a glowing and perfect picture they don't come near living up to.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

Jma (04-02-20),VroomVroom (04-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

I'd like to know how the local welfare bludgers can afford to be at the RSL club all the time - drinking , smoking and gambling. then they also have money for tattoos and drugs!! none of which i have money for , as a self funded retiree.
    Might be something to do with all the government funded charities giving them handouts for the essential items like subsidised rent and food.

ive just described the couple next door by the way.... he is an abo who wouldnt even know what work was , and she is his carer for some unknown invisible bullshit condition. 4 kids who get provided breakfast by the school - picked up by an abo funded special bus , or sometimes taxis. They own 2 cars on subsidised rego as well. friggin joke is on us

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

george65 (06-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Lets fking face it, a BIG part of the cost of living here is we have brought in and are supporting too many dead shit bludging Immigrants that will never fit in with our society and only come here because they know they can live a better life than the shit hole they left never working a day in their life. We have done it for years and insist on doing it to the present day with the likes of the Sudanese and others that want to take the country down not do a thing to contribute to it.

There seems to be a policy where we give preference to allowing in the garbage and deadbeats of the world while making it hard as possible for those whom would be productive, contributing citizens that would be proud Australians and an asset to the country. The stupidity and waiting times People I know that are skilled workers, productive members of society that have assimilated into the population and become good Australians is bullshit. We should have grabbed them with both hands not made them wait and jump though hoops.

The unskilled, violent useless trash get in with just a whinge and a sook and will be having the taxpayers paying for them in or out of prison for the rest of their lives while they continue to bitch about the hand that feeds them and preach nothing but hatred for the place THEY wanted to come to.

Course we aren't supposed to talk about such politically incorrect things no matter how true or significant. The correct way to think is to feel sorry for these disenfranchised poor violent oppressed souls and ignore the facts and just paint them in a glowing and perfect picture they don't come near living up to.
    Freakin Poms and Kiwis.... Send em all back I say...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    All stands to reason doesn't it

We have world high wages, hence we have world high cost of living.... aka The Australia Tax

I beg to differ with the wages.
    Many people in Australia work for minimum wage or in the low $20's per hour.
    Many smaller business can't pay more.
    Despite all the LNP's gloating about "high employment" many find only part time jobs but need full time to afford the exorbitant housing prices that are set to rise another 12% in Sydney this year due to unfettered speculators, again a LNP thing to feed the rich and screw the poor.
    Talking about middle to low incomers here, not welfare although this uncontrolled speculation on the basics needs of life like a roof over your head leads consequently to more welfare recipients.
    Due to these costs it is not possible to be a stay at home parent as it was 30+ years ago, so Australians have no choice but to have their children estranged in Child Care Centres for another exorbitant cost subsidised by the tax payer, which automatically makes them welfare recipients.
    A royal commission should look into who gets all that money because many workers in these centres receive wages in the low $20s but each could be looking after 6 kids for $15 per hour and more.
    So this whole system is broken, where a large proportion of the second wage goes to child care, requiring a second car and cost of living in expensive cities because elsewhere no work is found.

On the other hand the elderly who could purchase and pay off their principle home for peanuts compared to today's prices should live very well on welfare.
    I don't know how high the pension is but it may be around $1000 for a single per fortnight. That is a lot of money just for Aldi food, beer, electricity and rates and even meds, as our public system covers most of that cost too. So generally a lucky country for them.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

exited (05-02-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Hell NO! I get about $700 per fortnight on a DSP. If I were single, yes, close to $1000, but not quite. Were it not for all our additional medical costs, we might be "comfortable". However, many of the "incidentals" that are not "covered" make it far worse than that.

One person, some time back, suggested that we sell up and move into the city. Yeah, Right! Sell our home and then move into a city where we won't know anyone nearby, therefore, no community support from friends etc. We sell our home, then, purchase another for twice the price, yeah! Riiiight! Who's going to lend us money for that? OK, we deposit the money from the sale of our house into the bank and rent. Oh! No! We have too much money in the bank so our pension is cut!!!! If we manage to sort that out, we, then, have to rent. We get a rental subsidy to help someone else purchase their investment property yet, we get NO help to remain in our OWN HOME!
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I beg to differ with the wages.
    Many people in Australia work for minimum wage or in the low $20's per hour.
    My missus did complain to me about her $27 an hour as a Teacher's Aid
    I then reminded her of the 11 weeks paid holiday she gets every single year!!! Plus every single Public Holiday.... And sick days....

She shut up then

I haven't had a paid holiday in 23 years....
    You mean people get paid for not going to work in this country?!?!

Now that's a cost of living!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 05-02-20 at 12:44 PM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (05-02-20),DB44 (05-02-20),LeroyPatrol (05-02-20),lsemmens (05-02-20)

Thanks

Wages are high because of the cost of living - not the other way around.

Australia has been close to a wage freeze for the last 5 years - yet the cost of living continues to rise.

• The Following User Says Thank You to exited For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (06-02-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PZ. View Post
    Australia has been close to a wage freeze for the last 5 years - yet the cost of living continues to rise.

Not for the pigs at the trough board of directors. They keep the average income stats on the rise.
    Problem is we all can't be directors, somebody has to do the hard yakka!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-02-20 at 09:52 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Not for the pigs at the trough board of directors. They keep the average income stats on the rise.
    Problem is we all can't be directors, somebody has to do the hard yakka!
    Job i started this year, basic morons are getting paid $5000+ a week
    22 year olds on that money as a New Start.... 100's of them!!! And that is just at one site
    Sites like this everywhere.

All doing the "Hard Yakka"....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Job i started this year, basic morons are getting paid $5000+ a week
    22 year olds on that money as a New Start.... 100's of them!!! And that is just at one site
    Sites like this everywhere.

All doing the "Hard Yakka"....
    Mining site ?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast