Thread: That'll teach me! Rant alert!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Default That'll teach me! Rant alert!

I thought that I'd tidy up a couple of jobs that needed doing because I'd run out of sand to continue tiling. Son had strung some fairy lights across the front of the house for Christmas and they provided a nice soft light to the entry, so I decided to make them permanent and wire them into the front light. Mistake number 1!

As I had to crawl into the ceiling to do that, I thought I may as well run some more network cables to serve the TV in the Rumpus Room and my workshop. Mistake number 2!

Here I am 2 days later and I've finally got the cables in place!!!! Firstly the fairy lights went up with a little stress as the stapler I was using was less than satisfactory, half the time it did not fire a staple and the rest of the time it was hit and miss if a staple didn't actually go through the cable (which it was not supposed to do.) Should have fired up the compressor and used the air stapler, but, really overkill for this job. Finally, they are up and I drill a hole for power and run all the cables that I needed.

First problem. I pulled the outside light cable back the get a drawer wire in and then used that to feed the power and the new cable back to light fitting in the wall. All works well until it is time to turn the bend through the bricks and out to the light fitting. Drawer wire snaps! Fortunately I could see the cable at the back of the hole and with some judicious jigger pokery with some medical tweezers, I managed to get both cables.

Second Problem, I was running 3 new cat 5 cables to the router in my office. I already had 4 existing wires down the cavity along with a TV aerial, telephone and power. Piggy backing off one of those, I decided to use it to pull another draw wire up the cavity and pull the cables down. YEAH RIIIIIIGHT!!!! Works well in theory but, in this case, the practice required me to be in the roof and in the office at the same time. After about 30 attempts to actually convince the drawer wire to go up the cavity I am finally ready to pull the cable back down the wall. It gets to the bend, and, you guessed it, did not want to turn the bend. This time, however, the problem was more like there was too much in the hole to let any more go through, so I've just had to jackhammer a larger hole without damaging existing cabling to get the stuff in.

That is where I'm at, now, cables are now in. All that's left to do is terminate them all and mount everything on a newly manufactured (by me) wall plate, because the hole in the wall is too large to be hidden by a simple power point.

I'll get back onto it after I've had a beer and a break.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

I'm too old, too sore, too stiff, and too round to do ANY of that sh!t anymore.....

BUT, you've convinced me to have a break and a beer, so I'm into that in sympathy for your plight.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

alpha0ne (07-02-20),DB44 (06-02-20),eaglem (07-02-20),gulliver (07-02-20),hazman (07-02-20),Jma (06-02-20),LeroyPatrol (06-02-20),lsemmens (06-02-20),RedXT (07-02-20),SS Dave (07-02-20),Tiny (06-02-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

You are too old to think straight, who uses cables these days?!

All my smart TV's, devices, puters are on wifi and a wifi extender costs 18 bucks if you need more range.

I have now 8 solar powered battery lights with motion sensors for numerous entry points and path ways.
    Some glow weak all night and go full bright when somebody approaches them.
    They are bright and reliable, not the garbage you got 3-4 years ago.

The last two I got from Aldi, reduced for 8 bucks one inside the garage another in the shed but the panels are out side, just a cable through the door crack above.

Important is that the panel is separately wired and to always keep the light with the Lithium battery out of the sun and they should last a decade. Check that they have 18650 cells so you can always replace them if you need to.

Fairy light LEDs corrode after a year or two outside, well here on the coast they do.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 06-02-20 at 06:45 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

LSemmens
    Thanks

Yeah, I know about Wifi extenders and such, but I'm a tight arse, I had the cable, my 24 port router cost me $5.00 and I do often resurrect old computers, none of whom were wifi friendly. It's either plug it in, or purchase a wifi card (100km one way just to get one, or wait for postage).

As for solar lights, I like how you think, I already have a few that need new batteries.
    The nearest beach is 90Km away, so I hope that corrosion does not affect me too soon. (A house down the street has had similar set up in their front yard, so, out in the weather, and they have been running constantly for a couple of years at least.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I still prefer wired over wireless. That said I have a 1Watt 2.4 GHz AP servicing my whole block plus.....
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

My father use to tell me, with the money you pay a tradey, buy the tools, DIY and next time your set and will never need to pay to get the job done.

So im now loaded with tools, i can do anything, but at 55 years of age i cannot do what i use to do, im too busy, too tired, and my body is no longer young to take the abuse it use to.

These days ive learnt, get some quotes, haggle, make a coffee and stand over the poor bugger that got the job and watch them sweat.

Ah thats much easier......

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

enf (07-02-20),george65 (07-02-20),lsemmens (07-02-20),ol' boy (07-02-20),SS Dave (07-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I love doing electrical work and playing setting up things but it's the mechanical part of running cables through walls and working in tight spaces or with wires some "tard cut down to the last inch that drives me nuts.

Had a sparky put in a big 3 phase cable to the back of the house a few months ago and terminate it on a small breaker box. I put in my own sub board from that for my solar and some outlets. Guy was surprised when he saw it and more surprised I did it. I said I love this stuff but running cables through walls and getting up in roofs is not something I enjoy at all.

Like Godzilla says, Much better, especially for the price he charged, to have him do the cable run to where I want it and I can just enjoy myself standing there in the free and open space taking my time and having fun with it.

Far as wifi goes, it's simple and convenient but if you need speed and reliability like I do for handling big files, nothing beats hard wiring.

LSemmens
    Thanks

All over bar the pulling cables back up the wall and re-mounting all the plugs. I gave up last night, 'cause I was buggered. You're only a young lad, Godz. I'm 62 and nowhere near as fit as I once was.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    All over bar the pulling cables back up the wall and re-mounting all the plugs. I gave up last night, 'cause I was buggered. You're only a young lad, Godz. I'm 62 and nowhere near as fit as I once was.
    Good onya lsemmens, doing shit like this is what keeps ppl young............errrrrrr, until you blow a gasket !!

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

I find roof cavities are like torture chambers at times.
    Only place I experienced them is Australia.
    Been spoilt doing most of my cable work in nice clean, airy attics with proper floors and full height standing space when in Europe.
    Maybe this punishing house design originated from the convict times.

What are you young 55-62 year olds whining about? That is not old.
    We will be expected to retire at 70 if that is even an option by that time.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (08-02-20),hinekadon (07-02-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks

I only have one small job left to do now, but now my soldering iron has decided to resign. Looks like I'm in the market for a new one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I find roof cavities are like torture chambers at times.
    There are very few I can stand up in even at the highest spot. I can't get near the edge walls in this place even lying down because of the roof pitch.

I have a tin roof here with sarking underneath and the temp in that roof is Murder if the sun is out, winter or summer.
    Had a pest guy come Thursday and I put the radiator fans in the manhole to blow fresh air up to cool the roof space. Guy saw me taking them out so he could get in and asked about them. Seemed very appreciative I went to the trouble. I said I know what it's like up there and I know this makes a difference.

I think I got a real good Pest control job for my consideration.

I hate roofs, above or below them. Even on top, I don't know what it is. You can be on concrete and it's fine, get on a roof and the heat reflection is unbearable.
    Not looking forward to changing and adding the heap of solar panels I have to put up there. That's going to be an April/ May job at least.

Thanks

I only have one small job left to do now, but now my soldering iron has decided to resign. Looks like I'm in the market for a new one.
    I had a good expensive soldering Iron years ago that went to lunch. Couldn't get a new one for a while as they were out of stock so I went to the $2 shop and got some Chinese thing. $12

That was about 11 Years ago and it's the best Iron I have ever had and I'm still using it. Was hoping it would do the job at hand but it's done a hell of a lot of work and done it well. Kicking myself now I didn't go back and buy 3 of the things. Tip is wearing out and I doubt I'll be able to get another but the iron itself is still great.

Thanks

A household with only one soldering iron

I wouldn't know where to start counting and I would probably still miss a few portable ones

LSemmens
    Thanks

Back in the day, I had several. Since I've retired, I've less need, so, as they died I did not replace them. I can't work out how I ever found time to go to work, let alone perform surgery on electronics.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

We will be expected to retire at 70 if that is even an option by that time.
    Only if the Chinese Soylent Green is available to keep you alive....
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Only if the Chinese Soylent Green is available to keep you alive....