Thread: Getting to Win CE desktop on a unit without GPS?

Thanks

Default Getting to Win CE desktop on a unit without GPS?

I have a random Chinese car radio that's running Windows CE, but it doesn't have GPS or any obvious way slip in executables. It does have USB and SD ports. I want to get to the WinCE part to mess around with files. Anyone know how?

I was gonna try this "" from an old thread, but that link is dead.

Here are my attempts:

• AutoRun.inf pointing to my program (Total Commander).
    • Programs in the \Startup folder.
    • autorun.exe in the \2577 folder. I tried these alternate numbers in case it's not an ARM device: 7001, 2080, 2336, 2577, 486, 686, 10005, 10003, 1824, 5000, 4000
    • Plugging in a USB keyboard.
    • Madly tapping every item in the firmware info page.

The thing looks similar to this (there's many variants of this radio but they're all basically the same on the inside):
    Last edited by Kehehe; 07-02-20 at 05:37 AM.

Look Here ->
    Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

That RAR contains WinCE6-Rescue and WinCE Shortcut Generator......use at your own risk.

If you get into CE and "mess around with the files" there's a possibility you'll brick the device.
    Over the years I've tried a few times to change CE installations & found that without the correct firmware for the device itself it was basically a waste of time.
    Many variants of similar devices will possibly have many variants of firmware & probably only one will be correct & work as desired on it's matching device, sometimes you can fluke it but rarely.
    From memory (happy to be corrected if anyone knows for sure) I think any changes to the CE OS had to be done in the firmware & then the device reflashed with the updated firmware.
    Or CE itself had to be re-compiled to suit whatever changes were required, which was way too much hassle for me to bother with.

The shortcut generator might allow the usage & retaining of executables added.
    I can remember years ago trying other means of getting some to work but they weren't retained after the device was restarted, never tried this shortcut generator though.
    Thanks to Fatboyfun for the shortcut generator, no idea where I got the CE rescue from.

The forum at at used to be the place to ask about this sort of thing but it appears to be down at the moment, not sure if there's any other sites that are similar to that or not around.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

humax300 (23-03-20)

Thanks

Thanks Jma, I've been trying to suck out(copy) the files from my car gps, I can see them but they dont respond to copy and paste so I may try this out to see what happens, tried using ZTreewin with no luck.

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

No probs, hopefully you'll have a win.