Thread: How bad product design kills the environment

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Default How bad product design kills the environment

Stumbled across this yesterday, and it really does spell out how the lack of a holistic effort towards battling climate change is a -very- critical factor (supposing such a battle could have any effect, but here, the effect is purely negative).

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

gulliver (15-02-20),mtv (12-02-20),Reschs (13-02-20),Tiny (22-05-20)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

That is an interesting find
    The amount of other power supplies in the household would likely leave it for dead...
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

• The Following User Says Thank You to ol' boy For This Useful Post:

shred (23-05-20)

Thanks

NBN box and tp-link modem, both use 2 amp wall warts and the modem is hot the whole time! What the!

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

The two ampere current capability of the power supplies has absolutely no bearing on the problem of an hot (i.e. over-heating) modem.

An over-heating problem begs the question, whether the correct voltage power supply for the modem is being used.

Also, is there adequate (open) air circulation around the modem?

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

& then there is all the computers Personal & Business left on 24/7 whether in use or not, that can be easily turned off. (not talking laptops & tablets that live well on their battery, & only consume a small amount to get recharged).

Just live on a remote property with off grid only power supply & you will quickly learn what consumes all your input & what doesn't.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (23-05-20),wotnot (22-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I really could not give a damn about these little miniscule power drains and I certainly have better things to do than running round turning them off off to save a few watts here and there like the social media hysterics decree these days.

The whole entire thing with the environment and saving power / clean energy is a complete and utter load of absolute Bullshit.
    Power co's continue to do all they can to dissuade Home/ Rooftop solar in the cities where it will be used and instead continue to blight the landscape with solar ( and worse still, wind ) farms hundreds of KM from where the power is used and add a bit more shitfluckery with the transmission lines towers.

It's all about profit and anyone that thinks the power cos give a flying damn about the environment or anything else BUT profit is a sucker for their PR bullshit and frankly, not too damn bright either.
    If the power co's were at all concerned about these parasitic drains which ultimately make them money, They would lobby and get tighter regulations on the type and efficiency of products that were allowed to be sold in this country. Thing is they are happy for these devices to be chewing power because they are getting paid for it and the PF is made up elsewhere anyway.

If they were REALLY concerned about the environment, they would be approaching people in the cities to put solar on suitable rooftops not building solar farms hundreds of KM away from anything. They would also be paying a DECENT FIT for the power going back to the grid and they wouldn't be using the bullshit Excuse I heard TODAY from a power company department manager that solar overloads the grid. If that were the case and they gave a fk about the environment they would fix it so it could take the power and use it.... like in Canada and other places. The thing is this costs money and god forbid they do anything to lower their $1.3 Bn PLUS profit the power co's in this country make every year. Yeah, they have the money well and truly to do what they need to but directors and chairmen don't get paid for their environmental good deeds, they get paid to make PROFIT for the company.
    End of story.

I don't care about these losses because I have invested in enough solar to more than cover the amount of power I use and in fact have to shut my inverters down half the year because I make too much. If the greedy prick power co's would let me feed the power back and give me a FAIR price for it, I'd be happy to have a Nil Bill and GIVE them whatever extra I made. But no, it's all about profit first and foremost and the garbage they are concerned about the environment is a complete and utter crock of shit.

Just got home tonight from a bit over a week of taking care of Dad and left the computer running the whole time. I'll bet when I Check the meter on the phase the PC runs off it will still be 300Kwh in credit over what I have used.

Bought some New inverters the day before I left, wait till I hook up probably another 12-14 Kw worth of panels on 8 Kw worth of inverters. Going to seriously have to look at some enterprise I can use all this electricity for. Was thinking of looking at making Chlorine for pools especially as that's going to be most in demand when I have the most power in summer.

If the power co's weren't so greedy, a lot more people would put on a lot more solar and there would be some real environmental benefit not the BS the power co's spin now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnojack View Post
    NBN box and tp-link modem!
    A bigger problem is the false positives with the NBN fibre to the premises “bad battery” alarm.

By default, it turns on a red LED and starts beeping at regular intervals when the 7.0 Ah SLA battery fails. The trouble is that it seems to deem any battery to be bad after it reaches about 12 months of age. I’ve given up now - I leave the audio alarm permanently muted and ignore the warning light, We have frequent power outages and the battery keeps my Internet running for much longer than the UPS can keep the computer up.

How many tens of thousands of these perfectly good batteries get thrown out each year by consumers who think the battery has gone bad, when it is perfectly good?

For the record, I’m using quality brand name batteries (eg Panasonic) with the wide spade terminals - not the rubbish Chinese replacement batteries Jaytronics sell. There are threads elsewhere with others complaining about the same problem.