Thread: Win10 setup and other questions

Thanks

Default Win10 setup and other questions

A "new to me" Win10 machine will be arriving soon. I am used to running as "root" with the current machine so it will take some getting used to the login paraphanalia of M$.

What is the easiest setup to minimise this procedure?

What other measures should I take so that M$ is as least informed as possible? I have watched a youtube video about ensuring "cleanliness" of the OS.

How much hardware change can be made without running into issues? A second HD for instance so that I can run my preferred OS. I am loathe to remove Win10 as it may be useful "one day" ....

If the above questions seem strange bear with me as I haven't had a M$ machine since Win98.
    If Australia is a democracy why, then, is voting compulsory?

"What has changed between the arrival of the First Fleet and today?"
    "Wearing leg irons is now not required."

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

The only way to make sure M$ is not looking over your shoulder is to install Linux and forget about windwoes all together. What is so critical that you need Windwoes anyway. FYI once W10 has been activated on that machine, you can blow it all away and re-load W10 down the road without having to worry about activation, so disposing of Windwoes is so easy.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (13-02-20),tristen (14-02-20),wotnot (13-02-20)

Thanks

I don't need Windwoes at all on the machine. I was concerned what "might" happen if I got shot of it.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

As lsemmens points out, once the machine is registered at Win10 initial activation, that holds for pretty much the life of the machine (caveat mainboard/bios replacement). If you don't have the installation media for Win10, you can create a USB recovery drive after you've activated the M$ installation, and use that to get back to original starting point if needs be...(and I'm trying to think of what those needs might be, and I'm only coming up with some speculative future juncture where you might want to sell the rig 'as it was bought' with a win10 install =)

I don't know if it's still about, but there was once a perception that installing another OS than what was originally installed to the machine 'as shipped/sold', invalidated any warranty claims made within the period of warranty cover -- that's bollocks, m'kay? (pretty sure the Apple store is the exception here =) If one were to email all the manufacturers of the components that comprise that machine, "does your hdrive/mainboard/ram/gpu/gpu part run with OS' other than win10?", they will of course say 'yes'. Don't believe this myth if you've heard of it, it's rubbish.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (14-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    A "new to me" Win10 machine will be arriving soon. I am used to running as "root" with the current machine so it will take some getting used to the login paraphanalia of M$.

What is the easiest setup to minimise this procedure?

What other measures should I take so that M$ is as least informed as possible? I have watched a youtube video about ensuring "cleanliness" of the OS.

How much hardware change can be made without running into issues? A second HD for instance so that I can run my preferred OS. I am loathe to remove Win10 as it may be useful "one day" ....

If the above questions seem strange bear with me as I haven't had a M$ machine since Win98.
    its pretty simple, you dont even have to activate 10 if you dont want to, you just lose the fancy features we never use anyway
    when asked, choose a local account instead of signing in to ms\outlook\hotmail watever
    during install when it "asks you" do you want all these things to track you, turn them off !
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (14-02-20)

Thanks

The machine is being shipped with a SSD. Swap that for one I have already and I am good to go - yes?

Meaning that, at some future date, I could reinstall the Win10 SSD without any problem(s)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

The machine is being shipped with a SSD. Swap that for one I have already and I am good to go - yes?

Meaning that, at some future date, I could reinstall the Win10 SSD without any problem(s)?
    if your current drive is win 10 it should sort itself out fine
    win 7 or 8 could be a drama (use safe mode to remove old chipset drivers 1st) then put it in

win 10 should be easy.
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

• The Following User Says Thank You to Philquad For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (15-02-20)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Correct.

Yes.

• The Following User Says Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

Guiseppe (15-02-20)