Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's the economic performance in your area?

Thanks

Default How's the economic performance in your area?

Is Australia on the slide, or is what I'm seeing an aberration?

Drove thru the main business area earlier on and there are 3 car dealers closed down with 3 empty big glass showrooms just sitting there. Several empty shops in the nearby shopping centre also.

Surveying the horizon and there is not a tower crane to be seen.

What's going on in your area?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Did the Car Dealers open up in a new larger location?

Cranes, aren't they all contracted out.
    I know it is near impossible to a get a large mobile crane in AU currently, they are all booked out.

Plenty of New Contruction, Project Work, and Expansion...
    You just need to broaden your view
    The landscape has changed

Retail has moved to different locations
    CBD's generally charge for parking.... Most people would rather go to a Home Maker centre or Shopping centre where parking is free
    Its also where the shops went
    Last edited by ol' boy; 14-02-20 at 07:51 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

Around my location all the car yard's are full and some even doing major upgrades. Retails shops outside of the main shopping center would be 98% used and the Belconnen mall would be 90% full and there are several high rise under construction as well around Belconnen town center.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

enf (14-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Different areas will always go through Different Phases as will different industry's.

I see LOADS of vacant shops in different areas, round me there are few but they are building houses literally as quick as they can throw them up and what were paddocks 2 years ago are now housing estates as far as the eye can see.
    I'm far more disturbed by the speed and magnitude of progress and growth round here than the lack of it. Thought I had moved out of the rat race but the rats are racing towards me at a great rate of Knots!

Retail has always been a see saw but there are a lot of factors in that. I think right now they are suffering not from a lack of spending as much as a change in the way people spend their money. Bit over 12 Months ago a friend of mine talked her significant retail employer into setting up an online store. They gave her the job and it's already doing slightly more depending on the week than the bricks and mortar shops and of course costs a shipload less to run. Rents in shopping centres have always been Ludicrous but now they are simply non viable for a lot of retailers so they are having to get out.

I think people are still buying, they are just buying in a different way.

I many parts of Sydney there are so many cranes you can see from one spot it almost looks like a scene out of a Movie. My father commented on this when I brought him down a few months ago. Also until recently when they were stopped by councils, roads and suburbs were being transformed into High rise apartment Canyons. Stage Gubbermint has just skyrocketed contribution fees as a result and to slow things down with high density housing even though they were promoting it just a couple of years back.

My own gauge of the economy is when I go round the factorys Dumpster Diving of a weekend.
    If half the places in the industrial areas are open on Saturday or Sunday with a factory full of people on double time, you know they are flat out. Company is making money, employees are making money , Gubbermint is making money.

Interest rates would also seem to indicate things are going OK.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Well the economy is not just about car dealers.

In the CBD shops are shutting down in droves, so many empty windows, sometimes feels like a ghost town, beggars and drug addicts are plenty though but they play awful guitar.

Some blame the installation of a Kmart store in the centre but I am afraid they fail to see the bigger picture.
    Many people have no money to buy in the little stores because of the insane housing/rental unaffordability driven by speculators and low wage growth, and this is a low wage area in general.

This is a Nationals safe seat, so no significant State or Fed funding will ever go to this town.
    In fact the Nationals MP has never been seen since the last election and their nasty, lying smear campaign that they excel at against the local independent, who could have made a difference.

However Ratepayers will likely end up paying $100million for a 'wonderful' new council building with the help of never ending extraordinary rate hikes.
    Gov funding was denied, obviously as the current Council and Library are still quite functional.

Instead we wanted an entertainment and concert venue, that would have likely attracted people to the CBD and brought in decent revenue, but rate payers don't get to decide on these things and most people here are braindead anyhow. The local Mayor is like a mini version of Trump who just uses her executive powers to decide over these things as the councillors are spilt 50:50.

So as long as you have dictators and corrupt who just think of themselves you will get stuff all economy, that is universal.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 14-02-20 at 11:48 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

I think there is a lot more to the prosperity of a lot of places besides the economy. The management has far more bearing.

Where my Father is, there is a down about 30 Min north and another 30 Min south. Both these places kick the town where dad is arse and have been for 20 years.
    He's in what is the main town of the greater area but one successive council after another has had their heads up their collective arses and it's been one step forward, 2 steps back. The other places while far from perfect, have made much better decisions and undertaken initiatives that have seen those places boom.
    Should be the other way round seeing where Dad is has the local industry and business centre. Both the other towns have forged ahead with building their population, new businesses and especially Tourism.

The most notable thing in dads area is the piss poor condition of the local roads while the council of the next town 30 min north is Building holiday resorts and international standard hotels. The other irony is Dads town is right on the highway where the other 2 are a good 10-15 min off it.
    They all are dealing with the same economy and difficulties but as always, the towns north and south go strength to strength and Dads local council are still tying their shoelaces of each foot together and wondering why they can't run ahead like the other places.
    They mayor they have in now seems switched on but from what I see on the local news up there, seems to get screwed over by greenies and other opposition as soon as he mentions doing something worthwhile.

Our local Council here seems to be doing a lot of good things for the community.

Few years back they did build a flash new council building in the middle of what was then buttfk. Now there is a shopping centre there and houses and businesses all around. No denying with the huge growth of the area they needed new facilities. In my dealings with the staff there so far, they are VERY helpful and knowledgeable as well. Things like Da's and other permits etc seem to be handled expediently as are things like inspections for the most part. Few little power trippers but not too many it seems and also from what I hear, they don't tend to last long. There are a LOT of wealthy movers and shakers out here and a lot of people have a lot of connections that seem to work for the better.

Before last summer, they put in a kids water park play area. For get the Cost but I certainly remember thinking it was cheap as chips and for what they did, I think it was excellent value for money. All done by the council who made a real good job of it.
    The place was always packed and could not have been better utilised. Over winter they put in more covered picnic seating and BBQs and some carparks to accommodate the crowds it attracts which has been even more this summer. It's definitely been a 110% winner that one.

About the same time, they put in HUGE netball courts and as well as serving the fast growing local Community, it is attracting people for competitions from further out.
    Right now they are finishing up a BMX track. Has a high frameworked starting ramp and seating is going in as well as what looks like a clubhouse/ Hall.
    Talking to a friends daughter that works at one of the local pubs that has a lot of accommodation, events are already booked and many places including them in town are booked out for a lot of weekends now.

There are plans for a couple of more water parks to be put in before next summer in some of the new suburbs.

We have a big Equine park that is booked a lot of the year and one can plainly see the amount of business that brings to the local shops, Eateries especially and keeps the 2 servos plenty busy with horse floats and caravans lined up and down the road getting fuel. I have covered a number of these events and they attract people from all over the state as a lot of championships are held there as it's a great facility catering to a lot of different discipline and has a huge camping area as well.
    the costs for hiring different parts of the grounds are reasonable as are the camping fees but the usage levels must bring good revenue to the council and certainly the money that comes into the town is significant.

I was amazed at the number of places to eat when we first moved here but when going out on a saturday night when things are on, there isn't exactly a lot of empty seats around.
    The equine park is attached to the local Showgrounds and halls and they are always busy with arts and crafts shows and antique sales as well that are obviously popular.
    Twice a year they have my favourite, the Antique Engine and machinery show and while being run by a private association, Council seems to do a lot to promote it ant that is certainly growing noticeably. Mightn't be the greatest show on earth but it puts the place on the map and brings a few thousand in each times as well as a lot of people who stay for the weekend and spend money in the area.

Our Local council like all councils are piss weak and over pedantic at the same time on a lot of things but as far as their community projects go, everyone I speak to around the place seems to think they are doing bloody well and providing plenty for the locals and to bring money into the area which is already thriving. You only have to drive past the new facilities to see how well patronised their initiatives are from day one.

The expenditures seem very reasonable and everything they put in is immediately utilised to capacity and benefits the area which justifies any money they do spend.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

In the CBD shops are shutting down in droves, so many empty windows, sometimes feels like a ghost town, beggars and drug addicts are plenty though but they play awful guitar.
    You moved to Mandurah recently ??

Thanks

Here in Tasmania, the State Government keeps telling us that the economy is booming. One thing I've learned after 50+ years on this planet is that no matter how bad things get, no matter if the economy totally implodes and goes bad like has happened in places like Argentina... the politicians will always say "everything is fine, the economy is improving, it's all wonderful".

We have many empty shops in the city, the shops that remain are tired and dowdy looking. When it rains, you have to zig-zag down the footpath to avoid the drips from leaking shop awnings. The only time town is busy is on Thursdays, when Centrelink payments drop into bank accounts. it's quite sad really.

The shops that are doing well tend to be large interstate owned businesses and franchises - usually those located outside the city centre and in areas where parking is free and plentiful. Dan Murphy's moved in a couple of years ago and promptly triggered the closure of a heap of bottleshops.

I've had to get a few things done around the house lately. I called the paving guy - I've dealt with him for years across two houses and it's always hard to get him to find time to come up and quote on a job. He was here two days after I phoned him and can start the job in a couple of weeks. Called the septic tank pumping guy on a Friday afternoon and he was here at 8:00am on the Monday to do the job. We had an arborist in to drop a couple of huge trees. Normally we need to book him 2-3 months in advance, but he was here a couple of weeks after I phoned. I think the "availability" of these people who tend to do work that consumers can put off when money is tight speaks volumes for how the local economy is really doing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

In my opinion online buying is starting to smash retail. And the internet has people looking for the best prices before they buy, even if its retail people look up the prices and buy at the best price. Numerous times I take a 20 minute drive to save large amounts.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

enf (15-02-20),george65 (16-02-20),Godzilla (17-02-20)

Thanks

Well I spoke a little early, have just seen a tower crane that was erected today, by the height it must be for a new 6 or 8 story building.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    Dan Murphy's moved in a couple of years ago and promptly triggered the closure of a heap of bottleshops.
    Which could easily be perceived by many as the empty shops they left in town as a result are because the place is going backwards and things are shit rather than a more aggressive competitor came in and took the exiting level of business which hadn't changed.

He was here two days after I phoned him and can start the job in a couple of weeks.

but he was here a couple of weeks after I phoned.

I think the "availability" of these people who tend to do work that consumers can put off when money is tight speaks volumes for how the local economy is really doing.
    Both these people have a fortnights work pre booked? I'd say that is an indication of things doing well. If they had no work it would be different but booked up 2 weeks or 2 months still means they are flat out and have all the work they can handle. Can't see how anyone could take that as an indication of things being bad??
    When you don't know where your next job is things are grim but when you have weeks of work pre booked, WTF is there to worry about?

My kitchen guy was here yesterday doing some adjustments. When I last saw him in October he was booked till march. Now he is booked till may. I asked him if things slowed up? He said Hell no, I slowed up! Told me he had seen this young guy at his suppliers that was starting out and had subbied him for some of his work. He said I rang the kid and said come over, I have something for you. He said I opened my book and gave him half the jobs I had lined up and said these are yours.

He said I can't work 7 days forever and my relationship was suffering so I wised up and am cherry picking the jobs I take on now and cutting back so I have time for myself. He said I have enough money, I don't have enough time so I am making more time than money these days to enjoy myself with my partner and kids before I kill myself.

Unlike before, it was easy to see he was more relaxed and instead of being in a rush he was quite happy to have a couple of cups of coffee and a good chat with us, do an unrelated job I asked for advise on and show me the loaded up new ute he just bought so he was more comfortable driving around.

I have been Helping My sons mate with his tiling business. Did the same thing. I made them put their prices up and work in more limited areas so they make more money per job and have less travel and time expenses. They have gone from being booked out months ahead ( a BAD sign in my book) to booked roughly about 3 weeks ahead and constantly 3 weeks in advance, but are making shiploads more money and not working themselves into the ground either. Next thing is to find another pleb and have him do the grunt work while Sons mate just does the quoting, ordering of materials and supervising. If that works out as I have no doubt it will, we will look at putting on another guy and a part time secretary and expand further.

Basic Business principals: Work smarter not harder. Work on it not in it.

Called the septic tank pumping guy on a Friday afternoon and he was here at 8:00am on the Monday to do the job.
    Co-incidently, my father had to get his shitter pumped begging of December after a council inspection. Called the bog pumper guy and he was there next day.
    Dad was surprised and asked him if things were quiet, he said he was flat out. Dad said I thought you were here so quick you couldn't have had much on. Guy said you just called at the right time. I had 2 neighbours down the road this morning that called weeks ago so I slotted you in while I'm out here so I don't have to waste time coming back in a few weeks.
    Dad said he was there a bit over 30 min so it wouldn't have really put him back any time he couldn't make up and he certainly wasn't struggling for work.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

In a town of some 7,000 people, the local council works like this --> if the developer's plans pass muster, and they're prepared to pay the council dues for approval, the development goes ahead, and the council make their quid. I doesn't seem to matter that space/shops in that new development sit empty/vacant for years on end. It doesn't matter that the development sponsor is a national tyre fitting company...who opens shop to compete against the other 4 local shops, who are barely making a crust as it is with the lower population, and that this send 2 local businesses to the wall. The council don't see that there's not enough locals, to support the number & types of businesses they're approving...and at the end of the day, this all comes out in an election parry, quoted as 'brought and approved 20 new business locations into the area', as if making out their governance has positive results...but they're actually killing business, by increasing competition beyond the bounds of the population that can service so much competition.

• The Following User Says Thank You to wotnot For This Useful Post:

gulliver (16-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post

I doesn't seem to matter that space/shops in that new development sit empty/vacant for years on end.

The council don't see that there's not enough locals, to support the number & types of businesses they're approving.
    I have to agree with you, seen it myself many times.

There is a recent case of that in my town.
    Little cake shop with a few seats serving coffee, milkshakes, cold drinks and their cupcakes in the arcade in a shop that was vacant for over a year at least. Couple of quite young cheerful energetic girls opened it up promoted well, won over the locals with their charm and friendly manner and quickly got a name and plenty of business. Didn't hurt their not too cheap hand made cupcakes are fking delicious as well as look incredible... even to a rough bloke like myself. They sell out of cakes pretty much every day.

Stuff me if not 4 months later, another shop opens dead opposite on the other side of the 20Ft wide arcade doing the self same thing and undercutting the first place blatantly. They are a much bigger place with far more seating so had they gone with more a cafe style, wouldn't have been a problem but what do they have signs everywhere promoting and paintings on their window illustrating, Fking cupcakes!

I asked my wife who works for a council and handles DA's etc if there was not a clause in planning approval that you couldn't have too many similar businesses in the same area. I remembered getting knocked back on a shop I wanted to setup in years ago because they wouldn't let me within 200M of a competing business.
    She said yes, it was definitely a thing once but now they don't seem to give a rats arse. She recounted a few instances of the same thing her council had done which she thought was just wrong.

I don't think it's going to work out for the imposters. This is not the smallest place but it's extremely community minded and word DOES get around and fast. The occasions I go through the arcade from the carpark to the main street, The little hole in the wall place always has a line up of people at the counter or 3 cakes left in the cabinet. The joint across from them will be lucky to have an old couple having coffee. I think they thought they would ride on the back of the other place and steal their business but I definitely think they underestimated the competition and didn't understand the mentality of the town and it's people.
    I also can't understand why they would want to so blatantly plagiarise the USP of the other business when they could have been the doughnut or meat pie joint and not really competed at all but fed off one another.

I know of a Town where just what you said happened, A tyre company opened up right across the road from a local family owned one that had been there 75 years.
    My father said Fked if I'll go there no matter how much cheaper they are, that's wrong, the other guys have done me right for 40 years and I'll go there as long as they are still open. He didn't feel that would probably be long though.

Turned out in just 9 months, the other place was for sale and the original place was still doing well.
    The Company place is still there but the company bought it back from the franchisee when it was not coming within a bulls roar of predicted earnings and does very little business. The owner of the original place said they did see a blip on the radar and were really pissed when they opened but to their surprise as well, it was a blip and nothing more and business as usual. Some weeks back they just opened another place on the next corner up on the same side of the road and they are specialising in truck and agricultural tyres so have managed to not only stave the other national mob off but expand.

Sometimes cheap prices aren't enough to defeat habit, rapport and loyalty.

• The Following User Says Thank You to george65 For This Useful Post:

wotnot (17-02-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I used to support out local servo because he looked after the town. He had to retire when the place burnt down. (no, it wasn't deliberate) Unfortunately, given his location the EPA wouldn't let him re-build on the same site because he would be too close to other businesses and residence (his son). He said "F 'em" I'm not going to spend a million dollars on another site, I'll retire. It's a pity, because our nearest servo is now in the next town in the opposite direction to the big smoke and all they do is sell petrol. If we want a mechanic we've got to travel at least 50km.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks

I'm Closing up my fathers wrecking yard atm. Put my foot down ( although didn't have to put it down too hard) and said enough is enough, you are 81, Time to retire and take it easy. It's kept him going with an interest and purpose for a long while, now it's too much and a detriment.

There were 3 places in his town. One went under in October, Liquidators came in so they are gone. The other one Dad owned years back have been trying to sell a good while and there are supported rumours they will just close up soon if they can't sell because they are not making money either. Our bet is on that because NO ONE in the game is making money atm so who is going to buy a failing business with no prospect of turning it around? Current owners pretty much screwed what Dad had it up to years back anyway. I went in for a sticky beak a few months back and they are dreaming on the price they have on it anyway. I truly believe they would be hard pressed to give it away just with the inherent costs of running such a place.

People are coming into Dad and lamenting "There won't be anyone in town, what are we going to do?"
    Dad isn't exactly Subtle and the reply usually goes along the lines of " The same thing everyone in town has been doing for years, Buying stuff off ebay which is the reason all the places in town are folding up in the first place. If you supported local business, they wouldn't be going broke and would still be here wouldn't they?"

Some of the more painful ones he just says" I won't give a stuff what people do, I have been in the motor game over 50 years and I have had enough, they can work it out for themselves. "

The ebay thing has impacted the industry a lot. You hear it all the time... " Oh, but I can get a "motor" ( or whatever) off ebay (generally from Sydney) for $100 Less. "
    They do not seem to consider they have to go there and back to get it, they don't think about it being from a private seller so no warranty ( and at least 5 out of 10 we hear about turn out faulty) , and then the arseholes want to ring and get advise on fitting it or problems they have with it.

Our advise is " Take it to a mechanic, we only pull things apart not make them go again".

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    In my opinion online buying is starting to smash retail. And the internet has people looking for the best prices before they buy, even if its retail people look up the prices and buy at the best price. Numerous times I take a 20 minute drive to save large amounts.
    This.

People go into a retail shop, touch it, feel it, pull out their phones, search the price, go home and buy online.

I see it every day when in a retail shop.

They even walk into my establishment (we are online and customers now just roll up) and are checking the price i just gave them in person......

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

Tiny (20-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    This.

People go into a retail shop, touch it, feel it, pull out their phones, search the price, go home and buy online.

I see it every day when in a retail shop.

They even walk into my establishment (we are online and customers now just roll up) and are checking the price i just gave them in person......
    I just got a strange thought in my head.

Supposing this forum as a group got hold of an empty shop and then contacted everyone they know of in retail.

The proposition is to stock and display single items from the retailers inventory, or as many as the retailer wants to promote.

Now the strange thought ...... NONE OF THESE ITEMS ARE FOR SALE ,,,, they are purely here for touch and feel experiences (rub and tug not included)

The shop is open 24/7 and the buyers pay to come in and "Feel the Width".

Waddya All Fink ????

Luv and kisses to all

Last edited by Ma_Baker; 17-02-20 at 06:26 PM.
    Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ma_Baker View Post

Supposing this forum as a group got hold of an empty shop
    The shop is open 24/7 and the buyers pay to come in and "Feel the Width".

Waddya All Fink ????
    Wouldn't work.
    We'd be undercut by an online business that didn't have to pay rent, insurance, rates, power bills etc......

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

If you want to "cop a feel" you'd be better off paying for it at one of the local "establishments" unless, of course you don't mind a slap on the face, or worse.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (20-02-20),Reschs (18-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    Wouldn't work.
    We'd be undercut by an online business that didn't have to pay rent, insurance, rates, power bills etc......

George you have missed the point,,,

We are here specifically for potential buyers to actually "touch and feel" the products being offered for sale.

Or is the big grin meant as a negation to your words?
    Last edited by Ma_Baker; 18-02-20 at 05:22 AM.
    Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast