Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's the economic performance in your area?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    If you want to "cop a feel" you'd be better off paying for it at one of the local "establishments" unless, of course you don't mind a slap on the face, or worse.......
    That's why I wrote (rub and tug not included)
    Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    Is Australia on the slide, or is what I'm seeing an aberration?

What's going on in your area?
    Maybe it's your area...

The 3 main towns in my area have seen and are seeing a 5 year growth explosion in both residential and commercial markets.

A glut of work opportunities
    Subsidised education for upskilling

One car yard just spent $8 million expanding
    Granted, Mercedes Germany gave the loan.

Not bad for a regional centre

500 jobs created in the renewables sector
    Giving these regional country towns a great injection in accommodation, food and general spending.
    Car Leasing, Plant Hire, etc etc....

Plus the never ending Tourism market
    Last edited by ol' boy; 18-02-20 at 05:58 AM.
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I drove past the local Caravan park yesterday, a route I seldom have need to take, but saw they have put up rows and rows of cabins and were advertising " workers" accommodation.
    I'm not sure what sort of temporary work we have in the area but looks like they do and there is plenty of it. They have given the whole place a big facelift and pumped a lot of bux into it.

Went into what had been a dilapidated old shed which had been a fruit barn forever across the road and it has been recently rebuilt. Seen advertising for it around town so thought we would go have a Bo Peep. Big place and surprised to find it well air conditioned and sporting a very Designer style Upmarket interior. Really Nicely and attractively done. They even have a good size petting zoo with baby goats, lambs, ducks and chickens out the back for the Kiddies with Child minding on the weekends.

Mrs liked the place and said the quality was good and so were the prices. More big bux spent there and invested in the town.
    We will be back as it looked like a lot of other people were returning as well. They were quite busy and constant.

One thing was great to see was they were really pushing locally grown produce from the immediate area and promoting products that I wasn't aware were even produced around here. What we tried last night was really good so will be back for more of that over the name and foreign owned brands.

Thanks

Also saw just down the back of town 2 streets from the main drag, they have levelled what was a bunch old sheds that belonged to the sale yards and have signs up for a new retirement resort. Looks to be about 4 Story and takes up most of that block. Sign said $121M development. Supposed to be ready for Inmates early next year.... If it every stops raining.

I'd say our town is doing pretty well by the looks of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    they have levelled what was a bunch old sheds that belonged to the sale yards and have signs up for a new retirement resort.
    (They may even have a unit for you George. )

But on the other hand GM have retired the Holden brand and are going to stop production of all RHD cars.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well another business hits liquidation

Then again, this particular business has been crying this tune for years as part of its sales marketing, so it is hard to take serious

What i found interesting was the list of recent businesses that have gone into liquidation or administration

Harris Scarfe (closing 21 stores)
    McWilliam Wines - administration
    EB Games - I have no idea they even in business
    Jeans West - i thought they already went broke?
    Bose - no surprise there
    Kaufland Supermarket - pulled out before it even opened

And if someone wants to explain to me how Nandos is still open in Australia, id love to hear
    I only ever see empty shops... Is Nandos a front for something else?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Thanks

I think you can always find a list of recent Business Closures just as you can recently opened new Businesses.
    Times change, Consumer demand moves on, fads come and go and people look at things differently. Look at other businesses that have closed down in the past, Grace Bros. ,

For a balanced view, one needs to compare the list with new enterprises.

The industry / product that still amazes me is around is Newspapers and magazines. They may still be in business but they are former shadows of themselves. I guess the media organisations survive by writing Fiction now and calling it news instead of actually reporting what happened.
    I think time is running out for Papers and magazines for a number of reasons.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george65 View Post
    They may still be in business but they are former shadows of themselves. I guess the media organisations survive by writing Fiction now and calling it news instead of actually reporting what happened.
    I think time is running out for Papers and magazines for a number of reasons.
    Agreed, we lost our Newsagent 2 years ago
    Other newsagents i've been in look drab and old.... If it wasn't for all the Gambling Machines on the counter, they would be dead.

I picked up a couple of magazines i used to buy 20 years ago, they are wall to wall advertising and maybe run 3 articles of interest.
    Then have the nerve to charge $10 to $12.95 for a magazine!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 20-02-20 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Other newsagents i've been in look drab and old.... If it wasn't for all the Gambling Machines on the counter, they would be dead.
    Yeah, Pretty apparent.
    A large newsagent in the local shopping center had long rows of mags once. Quiet a few foreign ones too. Last time I was there they had one short row and the rest of the place had more stationary than orifice works and loaded to the hilt with crappy gifts and soft toys.

I picked up a couple of magazines i used to buy 20 years ago, they are wall to wall advertising and maybe run 3 articles of interest.
    Then have the nerve to charge $10 to $12.95 for a magazine!
    I used to buy a Lot of magazines. Can't remember the last time I bought one for those reasons.
    Looked at a recent one in the Dentists the other day and seemed like it only had about 20 pages and plenty were advertising and a couple of the boring articles ( there weren't interesting ones were advertorials.

I get sent a media pack the other day for a mag I used to advertise in. Readership is about half and the demographics looked very massaged and the cost to put an ad in was double. Even though I think most in that market would buy a magazine or 2, I know that online advertising would be a dam sight better bang for the buck.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post

And if someone wants to explain to me how Nandos is still open in Australia, id love to hear
    I only ever see empty shops... Is Nandos a front for something else?
    I keep hearing that money laundering is a big business in Australia, although that is allegedly done at the pokies but who knows.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

good riddance to George Columbaris and his overpriced nancy pancy chain of wanker restaurants. i wonder if he will lose any of his own personal money? probably not.

near me lives a solicitor who owned a small chain of conveyancing businesses who charged so much locals refused to support him. well the venture went bust , the office doors closed and yet he still keeps his mansion. using someone elses money no doubt.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    good riddance to George Columbaris and his overpriced nancy pancy chain of wanker restaurants. i wonder if he will lose any of his own personal money? probably not.

near me lives a solicitor who owned a small chain of conveyancing businesses who charged so much locals refused to support him. well the venture went bust , the office doors closed and yet he still keeps his mansion. using someone elses money no doubt.
    As much i find him a wanker and his arrogance knows no bounds (typical cockhead chef)
    Some part of me finds it a shame that his outlets are being sold off in a fire sale, all his other employees are losing here.
    And those that chose to waste thier money at his establishments, well, that is thier choice entirely.

I'm left wondering if the amount of under paying was actually that huge or was it the ATO's fines and interest that made it so big.
    Either way, his business is in the hands of receivers now... They will make sure there is nothing left.
    I did hear is personal house went on the market this week also.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

The thing is, Money is Cheap. Interest rates are at their lowest. I read somewhere that Business/Personal Debt is huge in Aus..

Most small businesses are running on Credit/Loans. They'll just keep borrowing money till they can't any longer..

Some Succeed, most don't.

West Melbourne Industrial Parks are expanding, Building new Factories/Shops/Offices. Construction is booming at the moment.
    Last edited by Johnno; 21-02-20 at 12:57 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

With the demise of Holdens, some of the Big dealerships in the Cities will be hardest hit because they were only Holden and the likes of Missin, Bitsareshitty, Hiuntie, etc have their own stealerships nearby. Rural areas won't be a s hard hit as most of the yards there have two or more brands under their belt.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12