Thread: Gross roach and fly infested dream box

Thanks

Default Gross roach and fly infested dream box

Hey guys. This is just too weird so I wanted to share. It's council hard rubbish night tonight in my neighbourhood and on the way home I found a clone dm500 a dm518s. I used to play around with them but gave all mine away years ago. FTA dtv reception isn't great at my new house and I have a dish so I thought I'd pick it up to have a play to see if I could use it to get FTA. I noticed it had a rattle which I assumed was a loose screw or a busted component so I opened it up before powering it up. OH MY GOD it was full of dead flies. Like 10 of them and cockroach eggs. I guess the flies must have got in as maggots cause there are no holes big enough for them. Anyone aver seen anything like this? I'm gonna chuck the box right now. FTA tv is not worth this.

Look Here ->
    LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,338 Posts

Used to see it a lot in the Top End, not so much further south.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

I have heard about it from Techies.
    My cat once pissed in the Video player years back. I was very embarrassed taking it to the repair bloke. Told him I spilt a drink in it. I picked it up and he said why didn't you tell me your cat pissed in it? I told him, I was embarrassed, seems like something would happen to bogans that had a filthy house.
    He laughed and said I don't know what it is but we get this virtually every day and my own cat has done the same thing and more than once.

He said he thought it was something to do with the warmth and also said that they regularly found Cockroach and Bug infestations in electronics and he had seen the homes they had come from and they were spotless.
    Spose it makes sense, warm place would help things hatch and mature.

Haven't had the bug infestations but I do Pull my PC out about once a year and take it up the back and blow clouds of Dust and shit out the thing with the compressor. Anything with a fan just loads up with crap especially.
    Used to live on a main road and put it down to all the fallout from the Tyres and brakes from the traffic on the road. Now we are in the country, it seems to be worse from all the dust, being as dry as it has been since we got here. Also have to clean the Filters in the big AC unit at least every couple of months as that certainty sucks and catches some powerful crap in the air.

I was talking to a mate about putting in an air filter system that drew in outside air through a filter and discharged into the house. My reasoning was it would basically pressurise the place and keep the dust and airborne dirt out. Unfortunately with the angle and narrow depth of the eaves and the layout of the roof it would be a major Job. Also the issue of the extreme temps we get here and you would either be pulling in freezing or boiling air at least half the year.

I can't keep up with the flies here. Vacuum several times a week and there is always a pile of dead flies on the window Sills. No idea where the hell they all come from. I'm pedantic about Flies shitting on my freshly painted Ceilings so spray as soon as I see one but I don't see THAT many!
    It looks disgusting and like the place hasn't been cleaned in a year but it could have been done just days ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by divdivdiv View Post
    Hey guys. This is just too weird so I wanted to share. It's council hard rubbish night tonight in my neighbourhood and on the way home I found a clone dm500 a dm518s. I used to play around with them but gave all mine away years ago. FTA dtv reception isn't great at my new house and I have a dish so I thought I'd pick it up to have a play to see if I could use it to get FTA. I noticed it had a rattle which I assumed was a loose screw or a busted component so I opened it up before powering it up. OH MY GOD it was full of dead flies. Like 10 of them and cockroach eggs. I guess the flies must have got in as maggots cause there are no holes big enough for them. Anyone aver seen anything like this? I'm gonna chuck the box right now. FTA tv is not worth this.
    I used to repair microwave ovens, back when it was still worth doing. Lost track of the number of times I removed the cover and had a swarm of roaches take up residence in my workshop.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bob_m_54 For This Useful Post:

gulliver (18-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

I have see stories about people getting game consoles to refurb that have dead and or live bugs in them and think to myself I would hate to see the house that it came from.
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 580 Posts

Hehe... I have seen it many times.. Roaches everywhere once you remove the covers off the equipment.
    They love the heat and lay their eggs on the PCB's..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnno View Post
    Hehe... I have seen it many times.. Roaches everywhere once you remove the covers off the equipment.
    They love the heat and lay their eggs on the PCB's..
    They used to love the area under the timer display. A combination of their crap and moisture would corrode the PCB tracks and cause a dead MWO. Pretty common problem.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I had a car cassette player many years ago customers complaint it's dead and we don't use cd's as they skip on the farm's tracks.
    The cause a mouse had eaten the plastic off the wiring inside and was shorting out and died of starvation because it could not escape back though the flap on the front.
    The fix was drop it in the trash and gave them a 2nd hand unit salvaged from a install of a cd player.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Truck! Dont talk about Cockroaches, we have them ATM the worst ever. Must have killed over a hundred in the house in the last month

Premium Member
    Thanks

Years ago when I repaired electric stoves I came across a lot of mice being electrocuted.In one stove 7 mice and in Cronulla 2 rats were cooking.Did that stink.
    I took an old stove to the tip and the next day eas infested with cockroaches
    Lucky for me Telstra wrote the van off for me..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SS Dave View Post
    I had a car cassette player many years ago customers complaint it's dead and we don't use cd's as they skip on the farm's tracks.
    The cause a mouse had eaten the plastic off the wiring inside and was shorting out and died of starvation because it could not escape back though the flap on the front.
    The fix was drop it in the trash and gave them a 2nd hand unit salvaged from a install of a cd player.
    I think it was around 2011 in June, and there was a huge mouse plague across Western NSW & Vic, and SA and NT. we saw a few cars that were incapacitated by mice chewing through wiring harnesses under the bonnet. The trick was to leave you bonnet up when you were camped overnight. When the engine bay is as cold as everything else, there is no attraction for them under there.

The mice were so bad when camped, they literally crawled all over and under the tent of the camper trailer. One got in and bit me on the finger while I was sleeping, even though we had plugged any gaps with staino pot scrubbers. We then spent the next half hour chasing the little bugger around the tent, trying to catch it.

At night siting around the fire, you had to watch out for them tryng to crawl up your trouser legs.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m_54 View Post
    I think it was around 2011 in June, and there was a huge mouse plague across Western NSW & Vic, and SA and NT. we saw a few cars that were incapacitated by mice chewing through wiring harnesses under the bonnet. The trick was to leave you bonnet up when you were camped overnight. When the engine bay is as cold as everything else, there is no attraction for them under there..
    The car dealer next door to work had a few cars come from farms around the and they all needed wiring repairs and cooling system hoses replacing.

The mice and rat's apparently love the taste/smell of the coolant even though it was poisonous.

It must be a problem some where if this stuf has been made I heard about it years ago.

Thanks

Years ago I was doing work experience at a country TV station not long after a mouse plague. The magnetic door seal on the fridge in the lunch room had had most of the plastic eaten away with the mice trying to get inside. The locals told tales of mice hardly even slowing to get through the very small gap under the lunch room door. There were mice skeletons hanging from some of the high voltage parts in the transmitters, as the mice had used the conduits built into the slab to get inside.

I heard that a few years later, they had to virtually rebuild the station, as the mice had eaten the insulation off huge amounts of cabling.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

A while back we saw a lot of cars in the wrecking yard with the rubber boot over the positive battery terminal Chewed by rats or mice and the one over the alternator terminal as well as starter motor.
    Don't know if it was the type of rubber or something to do with it being the positive side of the wiring but nearly every car was the same. Didn't really see they had been at anything else.

I remember one car we bought that a farmer had left in a shed for about a month when he went on holidays and had one window down. Rats had got into that and chewed the seats and carpets. Thing still ran fine although you could not stand to be in the thing. We stripped the interior of that car to bare metal, even removed the head lining and pressure washed it out more than once. Still could not get the hideous stench out. Must have got under the dash although we pulled out all the AC/ vent system and sprayed disinfectant around as much as we could given there was nothing to loose at that point. Didn't even get any better sitting around again bare for a month with a fan blowing in it every day.
    Even when we scrapped the thing, the guy that picked it up with the crane said it stank and he wasn't even in it!

Mud wasps are a bigger problem than Rats. Will plug anything smaller than an inch diameter hole. They will also crawl deep into openings so you can't actually see they are plugged.
    They have caused a lot of headaches and cost a lot of money over the years. We tape over every dam thing, even radiator inlets and outlets as they will get in there and block things as well.
    Last edited by george65; 19-02-20 at 08:20 PM.