Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2020 F1 season

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Just when i was laying awake thinking, dam i've missed the wonderful Monaco F1 GP this year, must be soon.....
    Then i got to thinking about all the lost revenue there, accommodation, flights, bars, restaurants

Open laptop, Boom..... it's the Monaco F1

Just not quite the same

[video=youtube;l1IpPZetLv4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1IpPZetLv4[/video
    You had me worried there I thought I'd missed it.
    Looks like that is another series. WTF, how many do we need?

The official Virtual Monaco GP is tonight, or actually tomorrow, Live Pro Demo at 2am, then 3am live virtual Monaco GP.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (24-05-20)

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Just a heads up in case anybody had given up:

Real F1 (half season of 8 races) is set to begin without spectators next week in Austria:

Two races will be done in Austria and two in Silverstone. To have a championship, 8 races need to be completed and limiting the venues under Covid seems the way to go. More races may happen but I doubt there will be races later in the USA and Brazil would be suicide.
    I think they want to keep it mostly in Europe but a final in Abu Dhabi.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

LeroyPatrol (28-06-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Sounds like Victoria won't get a look in. Especially since they made some rude comments about COVID and South Aust and then recorded double digit infections the next day! That'll teach 'em to steal our F1, too. We could have hosted a round in South Aust with no problems.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

Calendar works, shows Aussie time for me:

Damn I have been missing this. Hope some interesting things play out.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,510 Posts

Hope some interesting things play out.
    I've been saying that for the last decade ~ still waiting for racing to return to the F1 game (like last year, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, and the year before that..etc etc., ad-infinitum =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wotnot View Post
    I've been saying that for the last decade ~ still waiting for racing to return to the F1 game (like last year, the year before that, the year before that, the year before that, and the year before that..etc etc., ad-infinitum =)
    Nah, I just looked past Hamilton/Merc. There was a lot of good action going on in some races in the past years too. For me it is not just about the first 2 podium spaces. Many new exiting drivers have stepped up. I don't just focus on the one driver I would like to win.
    Rules can be sometimes pathetic and the real skill is to just barely get away with it if you break them.
    There is a luck factor in the referee's decisions in other sports too, all part of the game.

The only thing that frustrates me are when good drivers have to retire because they have a shitty French engine or something like that.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-07-20 at 05:45 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Nah, I just looked past Hamilton/Merc. There was a lot of good action going on in some races in the past years too. For me it is not just about the first 2 podium spaces. Many new exiting drivers have stepped up. I don't just focus on the one driver I would like to win.
    Rules can be sometimes pathetic and the real skill is to just barely get away with it if you break them.
    There is a luck factor in the referee's decisions in other sports too, all part of the game.

The only thing that frustrates me are when good drivers have to retire because they have a shitty French engine or something like that.
    TBH, for the last I dunno how long, I've been looking past tier 1 altogether, and watch real gungho racing for the lead in F3 ; same goes especially so for the bikes with Moto3. It's in these classes the real racing takes place.

The politics & rules and derived racing penalties are a joke, really, and some of the calls made by the powers-that-be ...to me... looks like they were made to incite/interact with the masses watching their media product, than they have anything to do with 'real racing' adjudications apportioning blame for accidents/incidents. Then there's the drivers, who to me look like they're all scared of being fined %grand for spitting on the tarmac in disgust. Every word in a guarded moment during interviews...lots of politicians out there that could learn a thing or two about engaging brain before opening mouth like F1 drivers do =)

You know, a lot of the time I think the basic equation is the top tier machinery now outperforms the capability of many of the tracks they race on, to present good racing. That said, less power and smaller tyres makes any track interesting racing imho.

I really think they have to revise the formula, as the much vaunted future changes now waylaid by beervirus is hoping to do. Personally, I think it's easy to bring racing back to F1 ...leave the fuel as is, give them another 500hp max limit, and take away 30% of the max tyre width...and tell them to get on with it.

Thanks

For me the technology side is as equally important as the racing and F1 has heaps of it. I like it that the DAS system from Merc has been ruled legal so now it is up to the others to adapt and see how this performs.

No more Silver Arrows, bit of a shame. I don't like politics and unrests in F1, there is enough of that elsewhere but yeah Hamilton, the king, is a shade of black so they must concede.

Great to see Dan fifth at FP2.

Tiny (04-07-20)

• 13-07-20, 09:47 PM

Premium Member
    Thanks

Well, same old procession, no racing, boring as watching flies climb the wall, with the only form of 'excitement' boiling down to when exactly someone gets a flat tyre.

When the excitement of a nigh on 2hour race, can be condensed into a 6minute youtube highlights video....and 5mins 45seconds is purer boredom and a recap of 'bad luck'...nah, this ain't racing - I'd rather watch the flies climbing the wall.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks

Yesterday's race proved with Verstappen that driver skill is still more important than just a fast car.
    Hamilton's true colours are revealed when he actually has to race. A hoon doing burnouts comes to mind when I saw his tyre management compared to Verstappen

I at least found the race exciting and enjoyed every minute of it.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-08-20 at 02:10 PM.

Tiny (10-08-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Yesterday's race proved with Verstappen that driver skill is still more important than just a fast car.
    Hamilton's true colours are revealed when he actually has to race. A hoon doing burnouts comes to mind when I saw his tyre management compared to Verstappen

I at least found the race exciting and enjoyed every minute of it.
    Me too.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (12-08-20)

Thanks

Finally
    Ricciardo's podium last night just had to happen as he has been driving consistently good lately and getting unexpected performance out of that Renault, almost a shame that he is leaving.
    I haven't seen anybody so happy to get on the podium since 2018.

So I was just waiting for a Merc or Redbull DNF and sure enough he took the place and left McLaren and Racing Point in his tailwind while leaving it all nail biting exciting right up to the end with ancient tyres that would have completely fallen off with any other driver. OK they could all change to softs right at the end but Ricciardo still left them breathing his exhaust

Such a shame the wrong Merc DNF but maybe we can get one more before the end of the season.

That Hamilton baby just whinges about everything. He's got the best and fastest car in the world with the most advanced tech, including a toe-in adjuster that helps warming up tyres quicker but no: "oooh the safety car is too slow, my tyres are getting cold". Well guess what that applies to everybody behind a safety car, didn't hear Ricciardo complain.

Then there was a comment from a back bencher, can't remember who, where the team radio told him that he exceeded track limits and the driver responded: "Shut up I am racing here".
    If it weren't for Ricciardo's stella performance I would have given that driver 'Driver of the Day' vote, if I could only remember the name
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 12-10-20 at 09:38 PM.

Tiny (13-10-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

With the looming Honda withdrawal from engine supply, and no other engine manufacturer looking like they're remotely interested (everyone's angling at formula-E), I'm starting to wonder how long it'll be before they realize this is all getting too boring, and everyone ends up with a 'control' engine..if for no other reason than to promote racing (rather than branding).

DannyRic's performance was good, but I'm not going to get excited about it... because I can't help but feel he'd have been better off sticking with redbull... who may end up using a renault PU anyhow.

It's all been slowly homogenized, and the cream takes forever to rise to the top ~ I'm still bored with it =)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Then there was a comment from a back bencher, can't remember who, where the team radio told him that he exceeded track limits and the driver responded: "Shut up I am racing here".
    If it weren't for Ricciardo's stella performance I would have given that driver 'Driver of the Day' vote, if I could only remember the name
    Lando Norris.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (13-10-20)

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123