Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relaxation of Students from China Travel Ban

Thanks

Thumbs down Relaxation of Students from China Travel Ban

School students allowed to return as Australians trapped in China plead for help

The Morrison government has loosened restrictions on high school students trapped in China so they can return to their Australian schools as pressure grows to assist more than 150 citizens trapped in Hubei province amid the coronavirus outbreak.
    As four more passengers from the Diamond Princess cruise ship tested positive for the virus at a Darwin quarantine facility, the government moved to help up to 760 students stuck in China get back to Australia for their school studies.
    The government has blocked non-citizens in mainland China from travelling to Australia since February 1 to prevent the spread of the coronavirus which has killed 2247 people and infected 76,718 – with more than 62,000 cases in Hubei.
    The move stranded school and university students at the start of the new school year, prompting fears of the impact on the education sector.
    see

I thought this such a crazy decision I felt compelled to write to my local MP

Relaxation of Students from China Travel Ban

I am extremely concerned by the announcement in today's paper that the travel ban for year 11 and 12 students from China except those in Hubei Provence will be relaxed.

Australia has been free of this disease except for a tour group who were confined to a single location, by banning people from China from entering the country and using quarantine stations for repatriated nationals.

Changing this is complete madness. Our health system is stretched enough without bringing our hospitals to their knees with the introduction of a disease for which there is yet no vaccine.

The statement that the student will be required to self isolate for 14 days on arrival is naive, these are high school students, they live with people who care for them, they have friends who are out and about. The carers are subject to infection as are the students friends. The disease will be released in to the general community if the students are permitted to enter before a vaccine is developed and the population vaccinated.

Industry could be brought to a standstill and tourism to an infected country will probably cease.

The short term goal of boosting the education dollar by letting these students in at this stage could backfire and cripple Australia's economy as well as the health of it's citizens.

It will not be the end of the world for these students if they take a gap year from their studies.

Please talk to the Prime Minister to have him intervene to stop this madness.
    Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 25-02-20 at 12:06 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

alpha0ne (25-02-20),gulliver (26-02-20),hinekadon (25-02-20),shred (25-02-20),Uncle Fester (26-02-20)

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

It's crazy.....but consider that our esteemed universities couldn't give a f*ck about the population at large...

Lunacy!
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• The Following User Says Thank You to enf For This Useful Post:

shred (25-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Well we all should know what wins when it comes to $$$ versus the ppl of AU !!

There will also be heavy conditions on students, including approval by state health officials and the completion of a 14-day self-quarantine by the student and their guardians.
    But they have found the virus can take up to 28 days to surface .............................'kin lunacy @ its best, not surprised in the least

• The Following User Says Thank You to alpha0ne For This Useful Post:

george65 (25-02-20)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

The minute this shows up in Sydney I'm bringing the Mrs and Daughter up to the Country holiday house till it's over no matter how long it takes.
    We might stand a chance there, in the city, not so much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Well we all should know what wins when it comes to $$$ versus the ppl of AU !!
    Tell you what, if the virus gets in because of this relaxation of students entering, any Dollars made will be blown many times over. Have these decision maker got no brains??

• The Following User Says Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

gulliver (26-02-20)

Thanks

these idiots only think of short term gain $$ now.
    the virus will only kill off 2% of Australia and cost billions but hey they made some dollars before they died.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 835 Posts

Our universities are so out of touch with reality , just a bunch of toffs running thier own little fiefdom. though it wouldnt surprise me if some sneaky slopehead tries to circumvent our system just to score some easy cash

i havent been to an airport for a couple of months ,but has Australia begun any Infared screening on incoming passengers yet? I went to Japan last year and they have a person screening every single incoming passenger for high temps as they walk towards the customs gate. A damn good idea.

the virus has now spread to Italy ,and the WHO is calling it close to a pandemic.

• The Following User Says Thank You to VroomVroom For This Useful Post:

Uncle Fester (26-02-20)

Thanks

My son and his wife were due to go to Italy in three months for trip. Their travel insurance is void for epidemics and pandemics. Just waiting to see if a vaccine is developed and they can get an injection before they leave, otherwise they'll just have to stay home and blow their outlay.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    My son and his wife were due to go to Italy in three months for trip. Their travel insurance is void for epidemics and pandemics. Just waiting to see if a vaccine is developed and they can get an injection before they leave, otherwise they'll just have to stay home and blow their outlay.
    Why?
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

I should be relatively safe our town has only about 600 people in it and no Universities. However..... The Mrs loves (sarcasm) to spend time in hospital, and her favourites (again sarcasm) are both in the big smoke. If she can stay home, we'll be ok, sadly, I don't think that will be the case.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Our universities are so out of touch with reality , just a bunch of toffs running thier own little fiefdom. though it wouldnt surprise me if some sneaky slopehead tries to circumvent our system just to score some easy cash
    There should be a royal commission. I can not fathom in who's pocket the +/-$100k UNI fee goes (50% paid by the taxpayer) for a Uni course in Australia, even if it is only online study.

The relaxation was expected.
    Money always matters most.

I suggest to stack up on toilet paper, antibacterial soap and hand sanitiser, long life milk, vitamins and non perishable food items.

One thing we should/must learn from all this is to become more independent from foreign imports and start producing ourselves, including learning to grow stuff in our back yards instead of mowing a useless lawn.
    Another thing I bet many haven't considered is that when you buy fresh fruit and veg displayed unpacked in markets and supermarkets, that customers before you have likely coughed over it and handled it with sputum infested hands to find out if it feels ripe.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 26-02-20 at 12:39 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (28-02-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    There should be a royal commission. I can not fathom in who's pocket the +/-$100k UNI fee goes (50% paid by the taxpayer) for a Uni course in Australia, even if it is only online study.

The relaxation was expected.
    Money always matters most.

I suggest to stack up on toilet paper, antibacterial soap and hand sanitiser, long life milk, vitamins and non perishable food items.

One thing we should/must learn from all this is to become more independent from foreign imports and start producing ourselves, including learning to grow stuff in our back yards instead of mowing a useless lawn.
    Another thing I bet many haven't considered is that when you buy fresh fruit and veg displayed unpacked in markets and supermarkets, that customers before you have likely coughed over it and handled it with sputum infested hands to find out if it feels ripe.
    Hi all,

Something much more important....

Learn to preserve fresh food ...

eg Pickles are bloody easy to make and if you make them yourself they taste better than store bought (assuming you made them right )

Anyhoooooo good luck in whatever you do, See you on the other side.

Luv and Kisses
    Buy cheap and pay often, - there is no substitute for stupidity.

You wipe your bum after each crap, why don't you clean your teeth after every meal?

There is no shame in being uneducated nor in being stupid.
    The true shame lies in knowing that you are and doing nothing about it.

Only the living worry about dying.

To the tobacco addicts - Smoke more and die sooner, so I can breathe fresh air. Thank you.

Education is the only sure cure for religion

Thanks

I've received a reply from my local MP.

I understand the issues you are raising and the Government does put Australians’ health and safety as a priority.
    It is why the Government is being very cautious in its approach and have taken some of the toughest measures in the world to contain the coronavirus in Australia.Many other countries such as Canada and the UK have not put in the travel restrictions from China that we have.Only Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family are able to return to Australia from China and are required to undertake 14 days self-isolation.
    This strong approach has worked with no additional cases in Australia beyond the initial 15 which had direct or indirect links to Wuhan. The only further cases are those who have returned from the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which is why those passengers have been placed in quarantine.

Our actions are based on the advice of the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee.
    This Committee comprises the Chief Medical Officer Professor Brendan Murphy and all the state and territory Chief Health Officers. It has continued to recommend an extension of the current travel restrictions. However it also recommended to government that:“the proposed relaxation of travel restrictions for small numbers of cases, subject to the discretion of the Commissioner of the Australian Border Force and approval of State and Territory Chief Health Officers or equivalent can continue. These would include consideration of year 11 and 12 secondary school students from mainland China (excluding Hubei province).” The Government has subsequently agreed to the adoption of the framework set by the AHPPC and set out a strict 13-step process for state and territory governments if they choose to seek the exemptions for students enrolled in their respective state or territory.
    The potential numbers are small at around 760 and does not include anyone from Hubei province. It will be up to each state or territory if they wish to work within those guidelines, which includes 14 days isolation and health checks.

This is based on the medical advice and is conservative.
    The other travel bans remain in place and we continue to carefully monitor the situation overseas and adjust our response accordingly to protect the health of Australians.Kind regards
    I think I wasted my time contacting him.
    Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 26-02-20 at 04:24 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ol' boy View Post
    Why?
    Oh, just saw latest news...
    Geez, it's moving around
    If u want to go on an expedition get a Land Rover, if u want to come home from an expedition get a Landcruiser!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Gawd the Media carry on

Although its in BoxHill Hospital now

Lets just stop for one second and remember where 95% of the Staff, Nurses and Doctors are from that work at BoxHill Hospital..... Hmmmmm
    Last edited by ol' boy; 26-02-20 at 09:49 PM.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Getting worse, now an offering of $7,500 bribe money to bypass travel bans:

This reads to me like: sneak through those third countries, how about South Korea or Thailand and spend the 7.5K in parties and clubs, you already had the money to come here anyhow. Enjoy the 2 weeks sex and drugs 'quarantine' period and bring us that nice 'souvenir' that you can also pick up there.

Meanwhile the only thing that Trump cares about is the risk of mentioning the corona virus reducing his chance of re-election.
    Just shows how braindead he is. Hasn't he figured out yet that no matter what he does he has the re-election already in the hat, unless the virus gets him first.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 27-02-20 at 10:22 AM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

• The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

RogerTheDoger (27-02-20)

Thanks

Why?
    Because the disease is rampant in Italy, if they get sick over there they'll end up quarantined either in an expensive hotel or an expensive hospital, and won't be able to do any sightseeing anyway. Might as well stay home if they're not going to be seeing anything, it'll be less expensive.
    Last edited by RogerTheDoger; 27-02-20 at 10:35 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RogerTheDoger For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (27-02-20),Tiny (27-02-20)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Was just reading that...
    Far out, not only is this country complicit in the silent take over by the Red Army, we are also funding them to do so.....

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RogerTheDoger View Post
    Because if they get sick over there they'll end up quarantined either in an expensive hotel or an expensive hospital, and won't be able to do any sightseeing anyway. Might as well stay home if they're not going to be seeing anything, it'll be less expensive.
    Was just listening to a pilot that is currently stuck there....
    He had his Simulator Training in Italy, right where this broke out.
    Now he is caught up in it.... And stuck there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Was just reading that...
    Far out, not only is this country complicit in the silent take over by the Red Army, we are also funding them to do so.....
    Don't label what the government and country does with what universities are doing. To me they are at best reckless and traitorous, and the administrators should be held to account.
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast