Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawyers, right down there next to politicians and pedo’s!

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Mr 672A, this quote above is very correct.

I just had a close friend get "bad legal" advice that was acted upon, it cost him $80K to the other party plus costs.

Simply got it back plus losses and costs by making a claim through the first lawyers insurance.
    Yes I know all about their expenses but at the same time most of them are left with enough money to buy expensive house and change their expensive car every 3 years.

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Did anyone see 60 minutes last night. All about a Head master that apparently was a pig and a group of stubborn angry people that had their kids in the same school and the parents defamed the head master on FACE ACHE. Yeah the bill was over a $1,000.000. No lawyer and their hanging on including with all there expensive are worth even $500,000 so I think + $1,000,000 is a bit rich.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    i didnt even think you can be sued over some text on some screen on a site which is based in the USA ?
    I read some time ago that if the comments are viewable in Australia you can be sued.
    I can't find the link right now but I did find some info:
    In relation to material published on the Internet, there have been few Australian court decisions to date addressing where or when material made available via the Internet is "published". Hence, a plaintiff may choose to commence a defamation action in the State or Territory with laws most favourable to the plaintiff's case, that is, irrespective of the location of the server/system used to make the material accessible or the location of the defendant/s or plaintiff. (However, the outcome of the action could be decided in a different jurisdiction as outlined above).

• The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteOx For This Useful Post:

VroomVroom (03-03-20)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteOx View Post
    I read some time ago that if the comments are viewable in Australia you can be sued.
    I can't find the link right now but I did find some info:

Looks like now would be a good time to choose a suitable nom de plume.......
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Looks like now would be a good time to choose a suitable nom de plume.......
    Thats something I'll never understand............why ppl use their real name and details when using unsociable media ???, do they love the sound of their own names ??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alpha0ne View Post
    Thats something I'll never understand............why ppl use their real name and details when using unsociable media ???, do they love the sound of their own names ??
    What amuses me the most is when the people using their real names berate others for " Hiding" when they use a handle name.
    Yeah, like there are no crazys or marketing people on the net that would look you up and pester the hell out of you or anything.

I often use a fake name and details to make " accounts" online as one is forced to do these days for everything when one has no idea of the legitimacy of the company to start with. Very interesting to see the spam emails you get back in those names clearly demonstrating how info is passed around and shared.

Other slight problem for me is I have a VERY common name and would be virtually impossible to find anywhere it's not being used already.

I had a mate that had this thing about putting his name on EVERYTHING. He had a go at me once when I re did his computer and complained he had to go through and " Fix" everything and it took him some hours to do it and thought I would have done it properly for him.

I pointed out I didn't think it was a real bright idea to go registering pirated software giving a persons real name and details and putting it all over ones computer but If he thought otherwise, good luck if someone comes knocking on your door.

Personally, in his position I would have been real pissed if someone DID put my details on everything.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12