Thread: Mapsource/Maps Transfer to New PC

Thanks

Default Mapsource/Maps Transfer to New PC

Hi All - new user looking for some assistance in transferring my MapSource software to new PC.

So I've had MapSource v6.11.6 and Bluechart Pacific v9.0 marine maps loaded for years on a WIN7 PC that has nearly died.

Just purchased a new Win10 PC and trying to move these over.

I've long since lost access to the original Cd or msi file that I used for installation, so took a wild punt and copied over the Garmin folder & files, and imported the couple of
    Garmin related registry entries that I could find, but was getting a "no installed Mapsource products" when running the executable file.

I then downloaded the 'latest' Mapsource update I could find (v6.16.3) and it installed OK, but when it fires up, it finds my waypoint, track, etc files, but can't see the Bluechart maps.

Can anyone direct me to how I "unlock" (??) the maps please (I have the unlock code for the maps) so that they appear in MapSource.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Do the maps show up in the unlock wizard?
    Mapsource/Utilities/Manage Map Products/Unlock Online.

It will then take you here>>

I'll guess not as you didn't use the msi. Which means that MapSourse can't see them as they weren't installed to MapSource.

Other than that you can probably use third party Utilities to split the image file from your device & install with MapsetToolkit &/or Gmaptool combined with cGPSMapper.
    How to & download links.
    Note:when a MapSource version of an image file is created using GMapTool, the find feature is hobbled in MapSource, however the gmapsupp.img file created from MapSource still has the find feature etc. enabled on the GPS as per original file.

Or install Basecamp & read the maps direct from the device.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

Jma (10-03-20)

Thanks

Thanks for reply Tiny

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Do the maps show up in the unlock wizard?
    Mapsource/Utilities/Manage Map Products/Unlock Online.

It will then take you here>>

I'll guess not as you didn't use the msi. Which means that MapSourse can't see them as they weren't installed to MapSource.
    While I didnt run an msi file per se, I did run the downloaded v6.16.3 .exe 'update' (??) file from Garmin's website, and that software is running OK other than letting me see my Bluechart maps.
    In Utilities/Manage Map Products/Unlock Regions tab, I have an entry "Map product not installed" - if I highlight it and select Properties, I can see my unlock code.

In my 'old' v6.11.6 software, there was an 'Unlock Maps' tab under utilities which opened up an Unlock Wizard, and the unlock code could be manually entered??

The Online Unlock code link above is no good as the original Garmin unit I owned has long since died, and I've now gone to the dark side - Hummingbird (but that's another story!!)

I've simply been using Mapsource/Bluechart for trip planning, etc on my PC, and occasionly load up trips & waypoints to it from the unit in the boat via sim card/GPSBabel.

Other than that you can probably use third party Utilities to split the image file from your device & install with MapsetToolkit &/or Gmaptool combined with cGPSMapper.
    How to & download links.

Note:when a MapSource version of an image file is created using GMapTool, the find feature is hobbled in MapSource, however the gmapsupp.img file created from MapSource still has the find feature etc. enabled on the GPS as per original file.

Or install Basecamp & read the maps direct from the device.
    As mentioned, I no long have a Garmin device - now a convert, begrudgingly, to HB Helix unit - (should have stayed with the Lowrance!!)

I wonder if it's worth pursuing tracking down a relevant registry entry on my old PC that somehow links the new v6.16.3 Mapsource to my Bluechart maps?

Shut your dog up!!
    Thanks

Just an F.Y.I. on cGPSmapper, it hasn't been available for years off the web, not even on the wayback machine, well not that I've been able to find anyway.
    All the links are dead ends nowdays unfortunately.
    These might get you out of trouble though -
    Password = Tes123ting
    RAR contains the original cGPSmapper executable and pdf helpfile, and a modded version to have a play with.
    Last edited by Jma; 10-03-20 at 09:05 PM. Reason: more info

• The Following User Says Thank You to Jma For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-03-20)

Thanks

I have posted x2 replies earlier today but still can't see them - is there some time limit on new user posts??

Thanks

Not sure why my detailed responses not showing??

Anyway, I've stumbled onto JaVaWa GMTK - it recognized my maps but with "errors" in *mdx file on old PC. A bit of playing around showed that registry entries in old PC for *mdx had incorrect file location (didn't effect Mapsource running on old PC!!).

After editing registry on old PC, JaVaWa GMTK was able to 'Backup' the maps.

Uninstalled Mapsource on new PC, restored maps via GMTK, then reinstalled Mapsource and voila - the BlueChart Pacfic maps are now showing as Unlocked in Map Product Information in Mapsource.

But, still can't see the maps in Mapsource main page???

Will this latest version of Mapsource run & show maps without a 'device ID' ??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amlez View Post
    I have posted x2 replies earlier today but still can't see them - is there some time limit on new user posts??
    The post contained links, although they were in the quote from Tiny, the anti-spam system sees you as a new poster, which is where most spam is generated.

You should have seen a brief pop-up advising you the post needs approval from a moderator.

I've only logged in, so sorry for the delay approving it.

I've also .deleted the duplicate you posted.

Thanks

Mapsource is no longer supported. You would need Basecamp for regular maps. I have old versions if needed. Could you let us know which Garmin device you are trying to update? Also Bluecharts aren't supported on basecamp FYI.... you need to install Homeport for bluecharts. Anyways, I can get you everything you need. I just ran into this with my New Rino 755. After tinkering a lot, I was able to get my stuff from my old 530hcx Rino on my new Rino. Let me know. I can walk you through it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to hardtopjeep02 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-03-20)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hardtopjeep02 View Post
    Mapsource is no longer supported. You would need Basecamp for regular maps. I have old versions if needed. Could you let us know which Garmin device you are trying to update? Also Bluecharts aren't supported on basecamp FYI.... you need to install Homeport for bluecharts. Anyways, I can get you everything you need. I just ran into this with my New Rino 755. After tinkering a lot, I was able to get my stuff from my old 530hcx Rino on my new Rino. Let me know. I can walk you through it.
    Thanks HTJ - but as stated above, I'm not trying to get any device updated (haven't owned a Garmin for years - moved to Lowrance & HB units), and even when I owned the Garmin, never actually had it 'connected' to the PC/software.

I simply use this software for trip planning, etc, on my PC standalone.

When I do move waypoints, tracks, etc back & forward, it's via SD card after GSBabel conversion.

So I guess I'm looking at getting another mapping program, but don't want to fork out the motza I originally paid for the Bluechart maps again.

What's a 'simple' solution to get a marine mapping program loaded up on this new Win10 PC??

It's frustrating to get Mapsource so close to setup on the new PC but still not seeing the maps

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hardtopjeep02 View Post
    Ah, I forgot about Bluecharts not showing in BaseCamp, yes Homeport is needed & maybe the program that will see amlez maps.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Thanks

@amlez
    Old versions of BCs such as your Pacific V9 work fine in older versions of MS however as you'd be aware any IMG file you generate for a device or card might be dangerously out of date in many places. As pointed out above by hardtopjeep02 HomePort is what's used for modern BlueCharts now in any case. Even locked maps should show up in MS, you just can't select individual tiles outlined in yellow until the installed map is 'unlocked'. If your chart isn't even shown in the drop-down list of MS's GUI then it simply hasn't been installed properly.

Regarding unlocking, in an older (or newer "Patched") version of MS you can use an unlock code from JetMouse generator using "1" as the UnitID to enter under 'Unlock Regions' tab of Map Product Manager (found under Utilities/Manage Map Products) so that you can then select map tiles to send as an IMG file to a connected device or SD. The resultant IMG will be locked however can be completely unlocked on the device or card using latest version 4 of gimunlock. You may have to search to find downloads of those two items. Many modern devices have firmware protection against such 'unlocking', so tell us which device you have before proceeding.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Surething For This Useful Post:

Tiny (11-03-20)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

@Surething, glad you turned up old friend. Figured you would know the ins & outs of this.

Just one question though, why can't he just use his known unlock code? I'll guess it's not only device specific, but PC specific as well?

From his above post he is running non Garmin device, all unknown to me.

The Online Unlock code link above is no good as the original Garmin unit I owned has long since died, and I've now gone to the dark side - Hummingbird (but that's another story!!)

I've simply been using Mapsource/Bluechart for trip planning, etc on my PC, and occasionly load up trips & waypoints to it from the unit in the boat via sim card/GPSBabel.

As mentioned, I no long have a Garmin device - now a convert, begrudgingly, to HB Helix unit - (should have stayed with the Lowrance!!)

I wonder if it's worth pursuing tracking down a relevant registry entry on my old PC that somehow links the new v6.16.3 Mapsource to my Bluechart maps?
    Last edited by Tiny; 11-03-20 at 06:29 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

@Surething, glad you turned up old friend. Figured you would know the ins & outs of this.
    G'day Tiny. Yeah i kinda do know the ins & outs of this but now that i realise he's got a HB Fishfinder not a Garmin marine device it's starting to get a bit more muddled for me. I know zilch about Hummingbird devices and in fact i wasn't aware they can use Garmin charts at all but it seems the OP reckons they can.

Just one question though, why can't he just use his known unlock code? I'll guess it's not only device specific, but PC specific as well?
    Well, if he put in the old code for his now defunct Garmin (whoteva it was, don't matter now anyway) MS would only unlock the BC Pacific V9 IMG file to compile an IMG for that old device, 'cos the code's specific for that plotter/fishfinder's UID you see? In any case, whether he uses "1" in JM to generate a code for MS or uses his old (dead) device's UNL code it will now only be unlocking the V9 chart for MS and any IMG file would still need to be unlocked manually for any specific (Garmin) device.

From his above post he is running non Garmin device, all unknown to me.
    A bit of a mystery to me too as you now know. He did say that about HB twice in that post too, but i missed it.

@amlez
    Can you enlighten us on HB's use of Garmin propriety charts? The format is not known to be easily reverse-engineered and is really only directly usable in devices/software apps licensed by Garmin.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Uninstalled Mapsource on new PC, restored maps via GMTK, then reinstalled Mapsource and voila - the BlueChart Pacfic maps are now showing as Unlocked in Map Product Information in Mapsource.

But, still can't see the maps in Mapsource main page???

Will this latest version of Mapsource run & show maps without a 'device ID' ??
    You may be right about the device ID, but some maps show up on main page blank until you zoom in to a level within their zoom capabilities.
    Also make sure the MS installation has a version of the Global Application Basemap installed.
    It should be visible & selectable from the Maps drop down menu on the main page.
    Mapsource installs the map by default when you correctly install. Without it I don't think MS works properly.

I found that to get around the device ID problem on new computers, I first installed Garmin Training Center which installs the basemap, then installed MS.

Not sure if that's what your problem is though.

I would try Homeport as well to see if it solves your issue.
    Last edited by Tiny; 12-03-20 at 09:35 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

I've been waiting for a post I made yesterday to appear - I think I've ascertained that if I "Reply With Quote" they get stuck in the Ether for a day or so? - so I'll try this 'quick reply' and hope it goes thru??

@HTJ " .. you need to install Homeport "

BOOM!! Thanks HTJ. This is all I need - downloaded and installed Homeport (which I'd never heard of!!) - fired it up and there's my charts.

Subtly different to Mapsource, but I had a quick play with it, and it seems to cover everything I was doing in MS.

Just to clear up some misunderstanding, as I stated a few times, I don't use this to 'connect' to any device - purely standalone on my PC for trip planning, etc.

Thanks to all who replied here - you've been a great help in leading me to a resolution on this.

Cheers!
    Peter

• The Following User Says Thank You to amlez For This Useful Post:

Tiny (12-03-20)